- Text Size +
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" he asked "I sat in a fuckin' cab for over two hours to get here."

"What do you want me to do; congratulate you that you know how to use public transportation?" she asked sarcastically. I shouldn’t be angry at him, but I am! I really didn’t think he would come. I don’t want to be in the way.

"Ya know what? Forget I came here," Nick said, as he turned around starting walking down the stairs toward the front door.

Alana felt herself get angry even more. What the hell is going on? You're not supposed up and leave! She thought

"Why are you leaving?" she yelled as she ran down the stairs after him
.
Nick turned around in the pouring rain.

"Isn't that what you want?" he asked. "You said you didn't want me here and now you're yelling at me for leaving. What do you want Alana?"

"How am I supposed to know what I want if you keep leaving all the time?” she yelled back.

He didn't say anything because he knew what she was talking about. She’s right…why do I always leave? He never liked confrontations with other people. Maybe that's why he had such a bad temper at times.

"Why can't you just talk to me?" she asked.

Raindrops fell down on Nick's face. He was wet, yet again from the rain. He walked back up the front steps of the Patterson home and stood in front of her.

"I've always been there for you Nick, why can't you be here for me?" she asked, her voice softening.

He cupped her face with his wet hands and pressed his lips to hers, kissing her hungrily. She felt the raindrops from his face fall onto hers as she kissed him back. Her arms slid around his neck as her fingers tangling into his wet hair. The black duffle back fell on the front steps with a thud when he wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him.

As Alana tried to break their kiss, Nick planted small, soft, kisses on her neck and back up to her lips. She hugged him tight, his wet clothes pressing against her body. Please don’t leave me again.

"I'm here now Lana," he whisphered, as he hugged her back.
~**********

Alana led Nick back inside the house, their fingers laced together. Henry and Julie were seated in the living room comfortably, watching an evening televison show. They didn't seem to notice as the young couple went back up the staircase.

Nick stopped at the bathroom and pulled Alana to him. He gave her a soft, quick kiss before heading in to change his clothes. She smiled as he closed the door behind him. They were finally making progress, weren’t they?

She walked down the hall to her old bedroom. Her mom had transformed each of her children's old rooms into a guest room, but one of her older brother’s room was used as a playroom for the grandchildren. Her bedroom was one of the guestrooms. The queen size bed was positioned in the center of the room, against the wall. The sage color of the bedspread gave the room a calming feel.

Alana pulled out her pajamas from her suitcase, which were a pair of plain, blue, cotton capris and a white tank top. She changed into her pajamas and as she was putting on her white tank top, the door opened. Quickly pulling down her shirt, she looked around and saw Nick. Phew, that was quick.

Casually dressed in grey sweat pants and a blue muscle shirt, he threw his duffle back near the oak five drawer dresser; but then leaned down and grabbed his cigarettes, lighter and cell phone. He gave her a small peck on the lips, once again, before leaving the room again.

Nick quietly walked down the stairs and to the back door that was just off the kitchen. There was a soft glow coming from a night light that was on the kitchen wall. He closed the door behind him and stood under the porch roof as he lit his cigarette. The rain still fell hard against the wood of the deck. Exhaling the smoke from his now finished cigarette, he threw it over the railing and watched it fall onto the wet grass.
Nick walked up the stairs and rubbed his upper arms as a cold chill hit him. As he opened the bedroom door, he saw Alana snuggled under the sage comforter, fast asleep. She looks so peaceful, so beautiful too. He smiled and climbed into bed, snuggling up to her. The warmth off her body touched his cool skin. She turned her head so that it was near his.

"You're cold," she said quietly.

He let out a muffled cough into the pillow.

"And you're warm," he replied, planting a kiss on her cheek.

Nick cuddled up to her more as he felt another cold chill slither down his body. Alana rubbed his cool forearm as he closed his eyes. He enjoyed the content feeling of being with her like this. He didn't want to go back to the studio. He just wanted to stay with her like this. Could he convince her to change her lifestyle to be with him?
~*********~