- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so this one's a little short. I have had a massive case of writer's block and have been trying to get out of it. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Alana watched as Nick fell back asleep. He was comfortably curled under the blankets breathing evenly. She quietly sat on the edge of the bed after she got dressed. I think I just gave him my heart. She thought as she straightened her pink t-shirt. I am head-over-heels, hopelessly in love with my best friend.

Her world as she knew it was going to be invaded by cameras and reporters. Would Nick’s fans accept her into their world, let alone his? These were just some of the things that worried her, but she knew that there were many more issues to come. Alana let him sleep and went downstairs to start dinner before her parents got home.

A loud melody rang from the nightstand near Nick’s head. He groaned and tried to ignore it, but it kept ringing. He reached over and grabbed it, without looking to see who it was.

“Hello?” he asked his voice hoarse and groggy.

“Hey bro, how are ya feeling?” the familiar southern voice on the other end greeted.

Nick smiled. It was nice to hear from his other best friend. Word must have spread to the others that he wasn’t feeling the best.

He let out another cough and cleared his throat. He had to go back, obligations to the group; it was his job. He wasn’t going to make Alana go with him, unless she wanted too. It would make him happy if she decided to go back to Orlando with him, but he wasn’t sure what she would do.

“I’m okay, still not feeling the greatest,” Nick answered.

“So where exactly are you?” Brian asked. “We know you’re not at the hotel. Howie saw Alana leave. And Frank is pissed that you didn’t tell him where you went. We rescheduled the promotional meeting for tomorrow morning at 11.”

He sighed. Why couldn’t he be left alone? I just want to be left alone. I know they care, but I need time to myself, with Alana.

“Just promise me that you’ll at least try and be there,” Brian said “We can’t do this without you Nick.”

He was right. They couldn’t do it without him. He had to make a decision and quick.

“Alright Bri, I’ll see you tomorrow at 11,” Nick replied.

He hung up his cell phone, hoping that everything would be a smooth ride and that Alana would go with him.

Sleep wasn’t coming back to him, even though he was still tired. Fuck it, Might as well get up and tell Lana that I have to go back. I’m just hoping that she’ll come too. He knew that she would come with back to Orlando, wouldn’t she?
~***********~

After dinner, he excused himself outside for a cigarette and some fresh air. The air was hot against his tanned skin. It had been in the high nineties that day, but it was slowly cooling off. He leaned over the wooden railing and looked over the horizon. How was he going to tell Alana that he had to go back to work?

The nicotine could be felt as it was released through his body when he took another drag of his cigarette. Nick knew he should quit smoking soon, but it was his only stress relief when he was working that hard. He had to find another one.

He sat down on one of the white patio chairs that were set around a matching table. Thoughts were going through his head about everything-his career and Alana being the two most. His career was what he did, what he loved with a passion. Music was his life; his way of expressing himself to the world. Alana was his best friend, the woman he longed to be with. He just hoped that they were on the path to becoming one.

Nick put out his cigarette and made his way back into the house to start getting things ready for the trip that had to be made the next day.

Awhile later, Alana made her way up to the guest room. She found his duffel bag almost packed and clothes folded next to it on the bed. He was folding a pair of shorts and added them to the pile

“Nick, what’s this?” she asked, pointing at the bag.

“My bag,” he replied, pointing out the oblivious, with a stupid grin.

She sighed. I can never be serious with him when I want to know something.

“Are you leaving?” Alana asked. She knew he was leaving. He was leaving, again.

“I have to be back in Orlando tomorrow morning for a meeting,” Nick answered.

“So when were you going to tell me? After you left?” she asked her hands on her hips.

He sighed and placed the remaining of clothes in his bag.

“I really don’t want to get into this Alana,” he said as he zipped up his bag. She didn’t understand. He didn’t want to leave. He hated leaving her.

“You just got here less than 24 hours ago and now you’re leaving again. Not to mention you have a cold,” Alana said “You need to rest.”

Yet again, she was right, like she always was. He knew that she knew what was best for him most of the time. But this time he had to put his foot down.

“Alana, we have been though this millions of time. You know what my career entails. I’m a member of one of the most famous music groups in the world. I have obligations that I have to keep and can’t push away. You already know about this,” Nick said as shoved his cell phone into his back pocket.

“What about us?” she asked “Where does that leave us?”

He was stunned by her question. Walking toward her, he cupped her chin with his hands.

“I want you to come back with me,” his voice was soft. “But I don’t know if you’re ready to give up your lifestyle. I want you with me Lana, I can’t make you choose.”

Nick wrapped his arms around her in a hug and pressed his lips to hers. I really want her to be with me, always. I can’t make her choose between me and her life.

Alana hugged him back. So the ball’s in my court now. I want to be with him, but am I ready for what comes with it? What do I do?
~**********~