- Text Size +



Three days later, Alana was released from the hospital. She was still really tired and hurt from surgery. Nick helped her walk to her bedroom and get into her queen size bed.

“Nick, I need to call work,” she said.

“I’ll take care of it. I have to give them a copy of the medical papers anyway,” he answered.

She looked at the papers in his hand. “Can I see them?”

He hesitated for a minute, but then agreed, considering they were hers.

She looked at the papers. “Who’s insurance is this?” she asked looking up at Nick. “Why did you put yours on this without asking me?”

She didn’t give him a chance to answer. She was mad. She didn’t like it when Nick did things for her that she could take care of herself.

“I told you that I don’t like it when you do things like this for me,” she said angrily. “Why did you put your stuff on here without asking me?”

Because you mean the world to me.

Nick gave her a serious look. “Look at the cost of your visit, and then tell me if you want me to take off my information.”

After he said that he slammed her door and left. Alana looked at the bill. She gulped at the balance that was owed to the hospital, $ 8,468.45.

A couple of hours later, Nick went to check on Alana. He opened the door to find her sleeping peacefully. She left the papers on the night stand in a neat stack. She yawned and opened her eyes.

“Nick?” She said sleepily.

“Yah?” he asked, just as he was about to leave her room.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you,” she said softy.

“It’s okay,” he answered. “How are you feeling?”

“Better, my side hurts a little though,” she said.

Nick set the papers down on her dresser and climbed on the bed, sitting next to her.

“You scared the hell outta me and my mom, ya know that, don’tcha?” he asked.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered as he pulled the covers up over her shoulders.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Nick ran his fingers through his hair and he closed his eyes. Alana looked up at him. He was sitting against the headboard of her bed. He looked so relaxed. She closed her eyes again and fell fast asleep.
~*********~