- Text Size +
~10 years later~

Everyday, CJ walked the short distance, to the stable's to feed and water, Goldie. CJ would sit with her in her regular spot and talk to Goldie for hours on end. At times she would get the brush and brush her soft silky hair. Goldie loved to be rubbed behind the ears and CJ did that occasionally. She just loved how Goldie would nay and jump around, all exited when she did that. It always brought a smile to her face.

As the years past, the more CJ got in control. Of life and everything around her. Even though it was hard, she learned to ignore or expect rude comments being said about her. She still sang though, every single day, but not in public. She would only sing to Goldie.

It is now eleven years later and CJ, now seventeen, sat in the hot musky stable with Goldie, cleaning her saddle. CJ whipped the sweat off her forehead with the sleeve of her dress. When she was done, she threw the wash cloth in the pail next to her and slowly lifted the saddle and placed it gently on Goldie's back. CJ fastened all the straps until the saddle was on there nice and tight. CJ walked in front of Goldie and lifted her large head up, meeting her eyes.

" I'll be right back." She whispered. CJ picked up the bottom of her skirt and jogged to the house. She entered her room to grab some clean clothes. She jogged back outside to the wash tub. She took off her dress and started to wash her body, using cold water and little soap, which is all the family had. She dried off and put on her clean dress. She wrapped her hair up in a bandanna and headed back to the stable, grabbing her nap sack on the way.

" Okay baby. Time to go." She hoisted herself up on the back of Goldie and Goldie galloped them out of there.

Goldie galloped down Jackson Avenue in a steady stride. CJ wooed her to stop. Goldie obeyed and stopped next to a rack of bicycles. CJ climbed off and tied Goldie's harness to the rail tightly.

" Ok, girl. I'll be back in a little while." CJ kissed Goldie on the nose and Jogged to the building across the street: North Appleton High School.

CJ walked down the crowded hall, people constantly pushing her back. She took a deep breath and stepped to the side, to let the students pass by. When a gap appeared CJ quickly started back down the hall, but was stopped by a bunch of snotty girls.

" Well, well, look what the cat drug in. A dirty little rodent." Victoria Welsh sneered, as her little followers snickered. Victoria was the most popular girl in the school and everybody, even some teachers was terrorized by her.

" Can I please get to my locker, Tori?" CJ said in low voice. Victoria looked behind her, looking over the rows of lockers.

" Oh is this one your locker?" She asked, pointing to the locker behind her. CJ nodded, licking her lips.

" Oh it is is it!" Tori laughed and opened CJ's locker, " We'll see." Victoria reached in and pulled all of CJ's books and papers out. They landed on the floor, paper's scattering everywhere. The kids in the hall stopped and snickered. CJ squeezed her eyes shut. Victoria slowly placed her belonging's in CJ's lockers and putting a lock on it.

" Well Chloe, darling...it's mine now." CJ opened her eyes and saw Victoria 2 ft away from her. " Get out of my way." She pushed CJ roughly out of the way and walked away. CJ felt her face go hot, as she looked around, hundreds of eyes staring back at her. She sighed, feeling the tears coming on. CJ bent down and started to pick up her books.

" Hi, CJ." A voice came in front of her. CJ looked up and sighed. It was Kelly Pierson, one of CJ's class mates.

" Hi." CJ said in a tiny voice.

" Here, let me help you." Kelly said, reaching down and picking up CJ's papers.

" It okay, don't bother."

" No, no. I insist. " Kelly said picking up the rest of the papers. CJ sighed and started to walk away, Kelly right behind her.

" Here you go, CJ." CJ turned around and took the books from Kelly.

" Why are you helping me?" CJ asked. Kelly frowned.

" I didn't want to just sit back and watch you get hurt like that. I thought you could use a friend." CJ took a deep breath.

" Well, I'm fine. So don't waste your time on me." She turned and continued on walking.

" I'm telling you the truth CJ, I'm not the kind of person Victoria is. I care about you, CJ." CJ stopped and slowly turned around, tears in her eyes.

" Why me, Kelly? Why do you care about me?" CJ said, a tear escaping her eye.

" Because I never met someone with so much heart and soul. " Kelly said, hugging Cj tightly. She sighed.

" I never had a real friend before. " Cj whispered. Kelly smiled.

" Yeah well, it's never to late for a friend. " They pulled apart and smiled. Kelly looked down at her watch, " Oh no, were late! Come on!" Kelly grabbed CJ's wrist and they sprinted down the hall.

" Late for what?!"

" The senior Talent Audition!!"

******************

CJ and Kelly ran into the auditorium, unnoticed. The teacher never noticed them sit down.

" Did we miss anything?" Kelly asked the girl next to her.

" No, Ms. Baker is just giving us a lecture about appearance. It's pretty boring." She said rolling her eyes. CJ leaned over Kelly's lap.

" So what's this audition for?" She asked. The girl narrowed her eyes and stared at her.

" Um...well, i'm not really sure. Ms Baker said that all of us will be going up on stage and sing a song or some what. Then she said after everyone's done, the major surprise will come." CJ gave her a small smile and sat back in the chair. The girl looked around nervously. CJ sighed.

" See what I mean." She said, annoyed. Kelly laughed and patted CJ's hand, lightly.

" OKAY." Ms. Baker's loud voice rang out making everyone jump, " I'm going to call on one of you. One at a time, you will come up here and sing a song. I don't care what song, just have one before you step foot on this stage. IF you don't have a song when your times comes, don't even bother getting up. Now when all of you are done, Mr. Harris and I will judge you. Then we will pick the top five most talented students in the senior class. " The class cheered, " Okay, okay, OKAY! The top five winners will stay here until further instructions, while you the other guys will go ahead and return to class. Now is there any questions?" A teenage boy in the audience raised his hand., " Yes, James?"

"Uh...yeah...are you going to tell us what this is for?" James asked. Ms Baker clapped her hands together.

" Well, Mr. Johnson your';ll find that out if your on the top five." She said, smiling.

" Well, that's a crock." James said, making everybody crack up laughing.

" I know what song I'm gonna sing." Kelly squealed, " CJ what about you?" Her smiled faded when she looked at CJ, " CJ?"

" Mmmm." CJ murmured, with a silly grin on her face.

" That's like the first time I've seen you smile in like forever!" CJ laughed.

" I only smile when I sing."

" You sing?" Kelly said, shocked.

" Yup."

----------------

After some long grueling hours it was finally CJ's turn.

" Okay, next....Chloe Martin. " CJ's head snapped up from the chair in front of her. She stood up and straightened her dress. She made her way to the stage.

" Got a song?" Ms Baker sneered. CJ flinched. Even the teachers treated her bad.

" Yes, I do ma'am."

" Good." Ms Baker turned on her head and sat down. CJ took a deep breath and looked out into the audience. Everybody, a good 63 students had their heads back and were sound asleep, except Kelly. CJ looked at Kelly, nervously. She gave her a warm smile and a thumbs up. CJ nodded, closed her eyes and started to sing. A bright light appeared and she found herself on a stage in front of thousands of people once again. All eyes were on her. The words come out beautifully. CJ felt herself flying high, somewhere nobody can ever imagine. She finally opened her eyes as the song came to a stop. She looked out to see all 64 students awake and their eyes on her. Suddenly the crowd bursted out into applause. Kelly ran up on the stage and gave her a big hug. Cj laughed and sat down with her.

" Oh my! What a performance! Okay, everyone settle down. IT's time to announce the top five. And the winners are...." Ms baker bent over and picked up a piece of paper," The winners are...VICTORIA WELSH! ROSE BENNETT! KELLY PIERSON! TREVOR SKYES! AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST...CHLOE MARTIN!" CJ stood up and ran to the stage. The others groaned and left the auditorium.

" Okay girls...Trevor....guys settle down." The group settled down, but continued to jump a little in excitement., " Now the audition held today was to bring the five most talented girls or boys to compete against each other for a professional singing opportunity. A contract for Jive records." The five interrupted in hysterics and hugged each other tightly, " I know this is short notice, but the train leaves tonight at 9:00 sharp and we should arrive in Orlando Florida, USA by tomorrow afternoon! Now go home and get some rest." Ms Baker smiled and left. Everybody was so excited, but CJ's dream of even getting out of England crashed and Kelly noticed.

" CJ what's wrong?" Kelly frowned and walked over to her, along with the rest of them.

" I...I can't...I can't go." She said sadly. Their eyes widened.

" What? Why?!" Trevor said shocked.

" My parents won't let me go to America, let alone sing. They forbid it." Rose and Victoria groaned.

" Come on Chloe, this is really important! If you don't go, none of us will be able too!!" Rose yelled.

" Look you guys. I do want to go, really I do. It's just that...I just can't. You don't want to know what my parents will do to me if they find this out. I'm sorry." She whipped her eyes before a tear fell and walked away. The other four stared after her.

" Dammit!" Trevor yelled, kicking the side of the piano.

" Why did I have the feeling she was going to ruin this for us." Victoria sneered. Kelly glared at her.

" Oh wake up Victoria!" Victoria turned and charged at her.

" Don't you tempt me, Peirson!! I can't believe----" She was caught off guard when Kelly's fist connected with her nose.

" How dare you treat, CJ like that!! She has done nothing to you!! Do you find it so amusing to kick people while their down?! Don't you see it?! No, I guess you don't, cause your head is stuck way to far up you ass!!" She screamed and ran out of the auditorium. The others stared at her disbelief.

CJ walked Goldie into her stable later that evening. She sighed and flopped down on her bed exhausted. This was her chance to shine and it was ruined. " It's not fair!" CJ thought sadly. She turned over on her sighed and closed her eyes, dreaming of a dream she can just dream.