- Text Size +
Ashlee stepped into the room and saw Mia lying on the bed. It was early in the morning, so no was there except for her and AJ. Ashlee cupped her mouth to keep herself from sobbing out loud. She had only seen such things in movies. Mia was hooked up to all different kinds of machines and her head was wrapped in bandages.

AJ looked at Ashlee from outside the room. He fixed his eyes on the back of her neck where her tattoo was. He closed his eyes and wished to himself that this would all go away, because he hated seeing her in so much pain.
I hope to God she sees her way through this, he thought to himself. He knew what such traumas could to do someone in recovery, no matter how long they had been sober.

Ashlee walked over to Mia and sat down in the chair beside her bed. AJ stepped in the room and leaned himself on the wall.

“Oh God,” he heard her choke out. He looked up and saw her lay her head on Mia’s arm. A single tear rolled down his cheek and he walked over to Ashlee and put his arm around her shoulders.

“She’ll be okay, baby.”

“And may I ask who you are?” The nurse walked over to the bed and began to right down all of Mia’s information from the machines she was hooked up to.

AJ stared at the woman with disbelief.

“Um, this is Ashlee. She is one of Mia’s good friends, and I’m Alex, Ashlee’s boyfriend.”

“Oh,” the nurse said flatly. “Well, So far, you and one other girl are the only ones that have been in here. Does she not have any close relatives?”

Ashlee shook her head no.

“Well then, I guess I’ll have the doctor come in and speak to you. He will be with you both shortly.” And she walked out without saying goodbye.

Ashlee nodded and looked up at AJ.

“Well,” she said quietly. “She was pleasant.”

AJ smiled. “Yea. Let’s hope the doctor is a little bit more friendly.”

There were a few moments of silence before Ashlee spoke again.

“I’m scared,” she said quietly.

AJ sighed and bent down so that he was at eye level. He grabbed her hand and put his forehead against hers. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by the doctor.

“Hello! I’m Dr. Gene Hansen. It’s Ashlee and AJ, right? I just talked to the nurse.” He held out his hand and both Ashlee and AJ shook it. “I’m sorry about Tina. She’s always like that.”

AJ and Ashlee smiled. AJ turned around and sat on the edge of the bed so that he was facing Dr. Hansen.

“I know that you both would like to know what happened and what exactly is going on with Mia, so I’m not going to waste time making pointless small talk. Yesterday, Mia was t-boned by a vehicle while on her way home from work. The driver of that vehicle ran a red light at the speed of 55 miles per hour. The impact caused Mia to hit her head on the window. If she had not been wearing her seatbelt, she would have most likely been projected from the car.

“Having hit her head on the window, caused the window to shatter, cutting her head open and leaving pieces of glass inside the wounds. After further tests, we found that a piece of glass has enter itself through a fracture in the skull, and if we don’t operate today, it may very well burry itself inside the brain, causing permanent damage brain.”

“But Mia doesn’t have that kind of money,” Ashlee sobbed out loud. “And she doesn’t have any family to give her money.”

AJ grabbed Ashlee and pulled her close.

“It’s okay. I will pay for it.” He turned to the doctor, “What ever you need to do, do it. I will pay for everything.”