- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Henceforth, this story will be updated on Fridays. We want to thank you all for the reviews, they are greatly appreciated, and one day, one of us will get around to actually replying to them. :)
Chapter Three ~ Afraid

"She dodges! She shoots! She scores!" Gabrielle shrieked as the foam ball fell through the small basketball hoop in the lounge area backstage. Pumping her arms as she did a victory dance, she turned to the small boy who eyed her warily. Composing herself, she let out a small laugh at his curious expression. "What'd I do?"

"Silly Gabby," Baylee sighed, running to get the ball. "You just like Daddy!"

Gabrielle blanked, her eyes widening slightly as Baylee scooped up the ball. "Good God, don't peg me with—" she cut off when the door burst open and Brian flew into the room, followed by the others. Walking away from them, she began picking up the toys that Baylee had strewn during the concert.

"Lucy play tomorrow?" Baylee asked hopefully, before turning to see his father. "Daddy!" he squealed, rushing up to greet him.

Gabrielle glanced over her shoulder to see Brian scoop Baylee into his arms, holding him close. She had to admit, he was raising a pretty decent kid. Though she got the idea he was a spoiled brat, or at least could act like one. Her knee still stung from being kicked earlier, thought Lucia had informed her she deserved it for cussing up a storm. Rubbing it gingerly, she moved to put the toys away. Lucia had all but abandoned her during the concert, popping out of the room constantly to go see parts of the show. If Gabrielle didn't know better, she would swear the woman was a fan. Though she had already flipped through Lucia's CD collection, finding only country, with a little rock and some r&b mixed in. No evidence whatsoever of a pop crush.

"Did you like the show?" AJ asked Lucia as he peeled off his shirt, preparing to run take a quick shower before it was time to get on the bus.

Lucia quickly tore her eyes away from his bare chest, suddenly very interested in the large bucket of ice containing sodas and bottled water. "It was nice," she murmured, cheeks flaming at his forwardness. Telling herself to snap out of it, she feigned a smile, turning to put her camera away. Good Lord, she had to share a bus with the man. Would he constantly be stripping?

"Everything alright?" He smiled gently reaching in front of her for a bottle of water.

Refusing to look at AJ, Lucia concentrated on the hem of her t-shirt. "Oh... Yeah, fine."

"You're not still embarrassed about the plane thing are you?" He put the bottle of water up to his lips, carefully studying her.

Oh, he had to bring that up again didn't he? "Oh well, I'm still… I mean, I'm so, so, so sorry about that--"

"Sweetheart, what did I tell you? You don't have to be sorry or embarrassed." AJ laughed gently. "Alright I'm gonna go jump in the shower, but as soon as I'm done will you be ready to hit the road?" He bent his head trying to find her hiding eyes.

She managed to look up at him. "Yes, of course," she murmured.

There she was. AJ smiled at her. "Great, I'll be back. Don't let Gabrielle get you into any trouble," he teased reaching up to gently ruffle her hair.

Gabrielle crossed her arms, watching Lucia and AJ's interaction. She gently nudged Brian in the stomach. "Would you look at those two? She should just jump him right now!"

Baylee laughed, "JUMP!" He repeated.

Brian's eyes narrowed as he gently covered Baylee's ears.

"Oh, sorry." Gabrielle laughed.

"So are you only nice around kids?" Brian smirked. "Well... I shouldn't say nice."

"Gabby nice, Daddy," Baylee informed him with a grin. "Her play b-ball like you!"

"You play basketball?" Brian asked incredulously as Baylee slid down to get his drink.

"Well, yeah… When I have enough energy," Gabrielle shrugged, watching Baylee.

"Maybe if you laid off the booze for a while, you'd—"

"Are you insinuating I have a drinking problem?" Gabrielle asked heatedly, her brown eyes narrowing. "'Cuz I don't. I just drink to have a little fun. To relax. Which is something you might want to try sometimes."

Brian sucked in a breath, reminding himself of his earlier promise to give her a chance. "You're right," he finally replied, smiling with satisfaction when her eyes widened. "But now you better get your stuff together. The buses are leaving soon. And lucky me, I get to enjoy your wonderful company all night!" he said brightly.

Lucia bit back a smile at Brian's words, glancing to Gabrielle as he headed to get a shower. "Maybe you should just jump him?" she suggested with a soft giggle.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes, giving Lucia a smirk. "Sorry but he's not my type." She leaned and whispered, "I'd be surprised if he's ever been jumped before!"

Lucia laughed softly as soon as the men left the room. "Oh whatever, have you seen the man?" She could easily imagine women lining up to jump him…

Gabrielle raised her eyebrows. "So you do have a teeny bopper crush on all of them!"

"What! I do not!" Lucia exclaimed defensively, going to put away her laptop.

"Well at least you do on nakie-lover-boy. Which I can't understand why, that man is hairier than a fucking gorilla!"

"He is not! And I don't have a crush." Lucia picked up her laptop case and started walking away. She had no desire to talk about AJ. Least of all to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle just laughed. "Alright, you can deny it, but I see it. What are you so afraid of anyway?"

Lucia turned around. "What do you mean? I'm not afraid."

Gabrielle rolled her eyes. "Oh right, that's why you turn three shades of red whenever he comes around. Or really anyone. He's just a man!"

Lucia bit her lip, and turned back around heading out the door. "I don't really feel like talking about this right now."

"See? You are afraid."

Lucia paused in the doorway, gripping the strap to her laptop case. "Maybe I am. But at least I don't hide my fear behind a bottle of booze," she murmured before leaving.

Gabrielle stared at the empty doorway, dangerously close to storming after Lucia and blessing her out. Instead, she snatched up her backpack, helping herself to several sodas and bottled water before heading out to the buses. Realizing she had no idea which one she was supposed to get on, she tossed her things to the ground, leaning against the wall for one last cigarette. She had to get enough nicotine in her system to last the trip, knowing Brian wouldn't let her so much as smell a cigarette.

*****

Lucia sat quietly in her seat, her laptop sitting gently on her lap as she typed away. AJ watched her from the couch where he was absentmindedly flipping through the channels on the television. What was this woman's deal? Did she have a boyfriend? Did she always work?

"Lucy," he called. "Is it alright if I call you that? Come here, put your work away, relax for a little while."

Lucia looked back at him and gulped slightly. He was sprawled out on the other couch, wearing a white wife beater and black track pants and smiling sweetly at her. "Oh, yes that's fine, you can call me Lucy." She went back to her work. "I'm sorry but I've just got a lot of work to do."

AJ nodded, he had figured she would say that. "Well, if you're not going to come to the fun, the fun is just going to have to come to you." AJ got up and sat next to her peering over her shoulder to see what she was working on.

Lucy just stared at him.

"Wow, that looks great." He smiled, impressed. "I didn't realize you had so much talent Lucy, that's really something."

"Oh," she blushed, "Well... thanks."

"So tell me a little about yourself. Where are you from? Do you have a boyfriend? Any kids? A mom? A cat?" He laughed softly.

"Oh, well my life isn't very interesting." She said shaking her head before closing the laptop.

"You never know until you tell someone about it," AJ reminded her, taking the laptop to set it aside. Making himself comfortable on the couch, he flipped on the TV, grinning when he realized Finding Nemo was on. "Alright! I love this movie!"

Shaking her head with a laugh, Lucia pulled her legs under her, reaching for her soda. Keeping her eyes on the screen, she fiddled with the frayed hem of her jeans. "I'm from Virginia," she murmured after several long moments.

"Why do you keep trying to hide that accent?" AJ asked softly. He had first noticed it in Johnny's office, though since then it had seemed as though she were trying to hide the fact she was Southern from everyone else.

"I don't… Okay I do. But people tend to think if you talk like this, you're just a dumb hick who belongs in some mountain shack, barefoot with your front teeth missing and a dozen inbred kids running around." Offering him a small smile, she took a sip of her soda.

AJ tilted his head to one side. "Just so I know, can you smile and show me just how many teeth you have missing?" he teased with a grin.

Lucia gave him a cheesy smile.

"Zero." He nodded, "And don't hide that accent, its adorable--OH, OH, I LOVE THIS PART! 'Nemo's schwhimming out to scheea!'" He laughed, gently nudging her with his elbow, nearly spilling her soda all over her lap, "That’s good stuff right ther--Oh, sorry!" He jerked up, checking her over to make sure he didn't get any soda on her.

"I'm alright, it was a close one though." She smiled.

"So you didn't answer my other question." AJ said leaning back.

"What question was that?"

"The one about the boyfriend." He looked away from the TV and raised his eyebrows at her, "And don't tell me you don't have one."

Lucia sighed, remembering not to long ago when she could have answered, Yes, I do, to that question. She had stayed with that man for so long, her heart breaking every day she didn't run away. "No… I don't," she answered finally, her voice delicate.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'm just too busy, you know?" she covered, not making eye contact with him.

"No I know what you mean, I mean look at me. But don't worry men are trouble, stay away from 'em." He grinned, teasing her.

"You're telling me," Lucia whispered. When AJ hopped up, she bit her lip nervously. "You're not about to start stripping again, are you?" she asked warily, already prepared to cover her eyes.

AJ laughed. "Why do you want me to?"

Lucia just looked at him wide eyed.

"Lucy don't get you're panties in a twist I was just kidding." He grinned reaching to ruffle her hair as he went to grab a snack, "You want anything?"

"No I'm all set, thank you," she answered, wondering why he thought he could mess up her hair constantly. She brushed it back to its neat condition, "I really better get back to work."

With a groan, he sat down next to her again. "No, no, no, no, no. I told you to relax! You've been working all day." He studied her. "Are you afraid of me or something? Cause I think I'm a pretty nice, easy going guy but I could be wrong."

Lucy sighed. "No you're very nice AJ, I just...have a lot of work to do."

"It can wait, trust me. Besides I'm pretty much your boss, well not really, but I want you to relax." He could almost feel his heart breaking as he saw the pained look on her face. "Lucy, honestly, you've got to tell me. Do you not want to be here?" He asked softly, tilting his head to find her eyes.

"No, not that," she said quickly, shaking her head for emphasis. "I like having you around… I just…" Looking towards the TV, she smiled slightly before turning to look at AJ. "Hi, I'm Dory!"

"You… You're crazy, yanno?" AJ asked her with a laugh. "So, what about my other questions?"

"Like I can remember what questions you're talkin' about… You're like a darn three year-old sometimes," she teased good naturedly, reaching to pull her hair into a ponytail before he could muss it up again.

"Kids?"

"Lord, no…" Blushing, she kept her eyes on the TV. "I'm a virgin," she murmured softly.

"You're a virgin?!" he squeaked, realizing he said that a little louder than he should have, "I'm sorry." He cleared his throat. "It's just really hard to believe." A virgin? This woman before him was simply gorgeous, how could no man have gotten to her yet?

"Hard to believe?" she repeated with a sarcastic laugh. "Not exactly." Oh, why did she let that slip out, now it was going to turn into a huge discussion she knew she didn't want to have.

"Well yeah it is, Lucy you're gorgeous," he said softly. "And whether you know it or not you've got sex appeal, you've just got to let it shine through more often. "

What!? Had he really just said that? "AJ you don't know that you just met me yesterday."

"That doesn't mean anything, every woman is sexy Lucy. It's just about how much they let show."

"So you mean I need to be slutty?" she asked, not understanding.

"Lord no, no that's not what I mean. Stand up for a second."

"What? No!" she automatically refused.

He stood up and reached for her hand. "Oh come on just stand up, I'm not going to hurt you."

She chewed on her bottom lip staring at him.

"Please?" he asked.

"Oh alright." She stood across from him. "Now why am I doing this?"

"Okay there, there you. Look at the way you're standing!"

Lucy gave him a strange look. "What do you mean?" She looked down at her hands crossed politely in front of her.

"You're slouching for one." He reached behind her and pressed on her back lightly making her stand up straighter. He then gently unclasped her hands and set them at her sides. "Confidence Lucy, confidence is sexy." He told her, his voice low, sending shivers down her spine.

"But I feel like my boobs are sticking out ten feet," Lucia muttered, returning to her usual stance. "Confidence may be sexy, AJ, but I never will be… Besides, I prefer to just fade into the background…" she trailed softly, biting her lip when she saw his hurt expression. "Sorry, AJ. I know you were just trying to help—"

"Who was he?" AJ interrupted, settling back on the couch again.

"Who?" Lucia asked softly, confused.

"The one who ripped you to pieces—"

"No one ripped me to pieces. I've always been—"

"A shell?"

"Excuse me?"

"A shell. You're here, you're talking, but when I look in your eyes I can see that something's missing."

"Are you saying I'm crazy, AJ?" she asked carefully, shifting her gaze to the TV again. She couldn't believe they were having this conversation.

"Of course not… I can just tell that something's—" AJ cut off when he saw her wipe her face. "Oh, Lucy… Come on, don't cry… I'm sorry. C'mere," he murmured, reaching for her hand. For a brief moment he thought she would push it away, but she slowly slid her hand into his. Before she could say anything, he gently pulled her into his lap. "If you want me to back off, just say so, okay?" he whispered as she wiped her face on her t-shirt.

Lucy just nodded, for some reason not able to pull away from him.

"You'll tell me sometime won't you?" he asked, gently rubbing her arm.

She nodded again, focusing mindlessly on the TV. Why was she letting her self get close to a perfect stranger?

*****

Gabrielle lay slumped on the couch on Brian's bus, an empty bottle of beer clasped in one hand and the other curled across her stomach.

Brian looked up at her from his writing and sighed. She was supposed to be helping him, but said that she was 'Too damn tired to write.'

"Daddy?" Baylee asked softly as he shuffled into the living room area of the bus. Rubbing his eyes sleepily, he clutched his stuffed Nemo to his chest. "Can't sleep," he complained with a yawn.

"C'mere," Brian murmured, pulling his son onto the couch next to him. With a derisive glance in Gabrielle's direction, he nudged her hard. "Wake up," he hissed.

Stirring, Gabrielle rolled to her side, letting the empty bottle fall to the floor with a thump. "What?" she groaned, sitting up.

"Would you mind either getting in your bed or getting to work?" he asked quietly gently kissing the top of Baylee's curly head. "I'm going to watch a movie with Baylee 'cause he can't sleep."

Gabrielle rubbed her eyes and dragged her self across the bus to one of the bunk beds.

"So I take it that means you're not going to get to work?"

"I'll start tomorrow," she grumbled. "You don't even have a show tomorrow, we can write then...if I have to."

Brian just shook his head turning on a Disney movie for Baylee. If Brian was able to hate anyone, he was pretty sure she'd be the woman.

"Night Baylee." Gabrielle said softly curling under the blankets.

Baylee smiled, "Night Gab-elle!" He said waving.

Biting back a sigh, Brian shifted Baylee onto the couch, reaching for a blanket to tuck over his legs. He knew Baylee would fall asleep in moments. Kissing the top of his son's head, he headed for the bunks. Sitting on the edge of the one Gabrielle occupied, he tugged the blanket down. "What the hell is your problem?" he asked in a soft murmur, not wanting Baylee to overhear their conversation.

"What the hell do you mean?" She asked, definitely not in whisper.

Brian's eyes glared, "Would you please be quiet, my three year old son is in the room." He whispered.

"Fine." She huffed sitting up.

"Answer my question." He repeated.

"I'm not going to answer your bullshit question Brian, I'm working for you, you don't need to know anything about me."

"Why don't I? How do you expect us to work together if you don't open up and share even one tiny piece of yourself? You've built the damn Wall of China around yourself, but it's no use, Gabrielle. I can see right through it," Brian told her.

"And tell me, oh Great One, what you see?" Gabrielle asked, tugging the blanket from his hands.

"I see someone so damned scared of being hurt she just shuts everybody out. How do you plan on making it in the world if you never let anybody in?"

What?! How did he know? "Oh whatever Brian." She huffed turning her head away from him, "I didn't have this conversation with my parents. I didn't have it with my boss. I didn't have it with any of the friends I lost when they told me I was a bitch and I certainly don't want to have it with you. I've known you for what 24 seconds and you're already grilling me?"

"Your boss made a deal with you didn't he? You do this or you lose your job. Do you really want to lose your job? You're supposedly talented, you're making a lot of money, why are you going to give it up just so you can be rude to everyone?"

Gabrielle sighed, "No, I don't want to lose my job."

"Then you better shape up Gabrielle or I will be sending you home, and you will lose your job."

Gabrielle turned to look at him, sighing when she saw he was already standing up. "Brian?" she asked softly, nervously twisting the blanket between her fingers.

"Yeah?"

"I'm…sorry," she murmured.

"What was that?" he asked, turning to look at her, one eyebrow raised.

"I'm sorry," she sighed.

"Couldn't hear you," he said, holding a hand over his ear, his lips twitching to keep from grinning.

"You are an ass," she hissed with a smirk, throwing her pillow at him. "I'm sorry!"