- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry if it took me awfully long to finish this chapter.
Brian picked at his Caesar salad as he thought about Nick. He had been thinking about him for the past few hours, and had not been able to concentrate on recording. Dan thought that he did pretty well though, when a look inside would reveal that Brian was actually singing aimlessly and his mind was drifting in another world.
“What’s up, Brian?”.
Brian turned around violently on his chair to look at the person who said that to him.
“Whoa, it’s just me, AJ, cool down, man.” AJ told him in a surrender gesture.
Brian relaxed at the sight of AJ. He had been thinking too deeply that his mind started to blur.
“You scared the wits out of me.” Brian grinned at AJ humorously.
“Hey, Brian.” a feminine voice greeted him.
“Hey, Kaci.” Brian looked at her in surprise as she sat on the chair next to AJ.
“So what brings you to the heart of Atlanta?” Brian asked them as he relaxed on his chair and started eating his salad in proportional bites.
“No, the real question is: what brings you in a very luxurious and sophisticated restaurant such as this?” AJ pointed a toothpick at him, “You got a date with someone or something?”.
Brian gave him a sour look, annoyed by his remark, “Very funny, AJ, but no. I don’t need a date because I already have a beautiful wife and a wonderful son. I’m not even meeting anyone here, for your information.”.
“I thought you were a simple guy who loves simple food.” Kaci commented.
“Well, I guess I don’t feel like eating in McDonalds right now.” Brian replied nervously, forcing himself to smile.
AJ recognized the maneuver and decided to get to the point.
“Is there something concerning Nick that I don’t know?” he asked Brian, waiting for his reaction.
“I’ll go to the washroom, if you don’t mind.” Kaci suddenly got up from her seat and looked at both of them, knowing that they needed privacy.
“Sure, no problem.” AJ replied.
Brian tried to keep his cool and looked directly at AJ’s eyes, “Depending on how much you know.”.
“The last think I’ve heard about him was that he had a car accident and was unconscious.” AJ replied returning Brian’s intent glare with a blank gaze, “That’s all I know.”.
Brian sighed, breaking the intimate gaze between them.
“He’s awake.” he finally replied.
“Oh, that’s supposed to be good news.” AJ replied while scanning a poster given to him by a sales lady.
“But…”
AJ finally looked up at him from his poster and waited for him to say what he had to say.
“Dr. Scott thinks he has tuberculosis, so he’s scheduling an x-ray for tomorrow.” Brian finished, waiting intently for AJ’s response.
“It’s just a presumption, it doesn’t mean its true…”.
“Yes, it’s just a presumption,” Brian interrupted him, “but I think it’s something more than a presumption.

Brian sorted through the numerous papers that were piled high on top of his desk. Brian Littrell’s Healthy Heart Club For Kids had sponsored a reality short story contest for all the club’s participants. They had written their saddest experience and had submitted them. Now, Brian only needed to read and pick the three best stories.
After a moment’s thought, Brian finally turned his attention to the pile of papers. He looked at a paper with scrawled cursive and tried to decipher the words written in it.
After finishing the story, he picked another paper and began reading the story scrawled on it.

“Brian, the Anderson’s are here!” his mind was immediately awakened by Leighanne’s voice.
He was in his 25th story, and none of the stories he had read seemed interesting.
“What?” Brian asked Leighanne, who was clearly in a mass of confusion.
“Aren’t you going to get dressed in something more formal?” Leighanne hissed quietly at him, surveying his white t-shirt and khaki shorts.
“Yes,” Brian replied, “I’ve completely forgotten about the dinner with them.”.
“Then hurry.” Leighanne winked at him, “I’ll try to stall for time.”.
“Okay, thanks Leigh, you’re the best.” Brian told her as he ran quietly to their room.
After a while on debating what he should wear, he finally decided on black slacks and a white collared shirt, accompanied by a tie and a tux.
Brian looked at himself in the mirror and flattened some creases found in his collared shirt.
He smiled at himself in the mirror. He looked like he was going to an awards show for the Backstreet Boys. His outfit was simple yet still fit for the occasion.
After a while of admiring his appearance, he finally went down to meet the guests.
“Hey Brian!” a familiar voice greeted him.
“Hey Tom!” Brian shook his hand in greeting.
“I’m hungry.” Baylee complained in Leighanne’s arms.
“Okay, honey, will get something to eat soon.” Leighanne whispered in Baylee’s ear.
“Well, he’s right, I’m starving too.” Tom laughed heartily.
“Let’s go then.” Brian replied grabbing the car keys from the pocket of his slacks.

Brian tried to push his thoughts about Nick away from his mind as they entered the restaurant. Now, he wanted to enjoy the evening with one of his closest friends.
Tom, who was a very close friend of Brian when they were junior high, had supported Brian when he had first joined the Backstreet Boys.
“My wife and my son are seated over there.” Tom pointed to a wide and spacious booth near the end of the room.
“Okay.” Brian responded as they walked quietly to the booth.
“Hi Tom!”.
“Hi, sweetheart!” Tom kissed his wife’s cheek, caressing her in his arms.
It seemed like they haven’t seen each other for days.
Finally, Tom released himself from their tight embrace and introduced Brian to his wife.
“Brian, this is my wife, Jane. Jane, this is Brian Littrell.”.
“How you doing, Brian?” Jane cast a surprised look at him as they both shook hands.
“Fine.” Brian smiled at her.
“Tom told me we would be meeting an ‘old friend of his’ but apparently, I didn’t expect it to be one of the Backstreet Boys, I was a big fan of you guys.” Jane continued talking excitedly.
“Why, thank you.” Brian grinned appreciatively, “We were best buddies before.”.
“By the way, this is my wife, Leighanne, and my son, Baylee.” he introduced them to Jane.
“This is my 10 year old son, Allen.” Jane put an arm around Allen, her dark-haired son.
“Hi.” Allen smiled at them, revealing his colorful braces.
“Hello, All…en.” Baylee waved at him from his mother’s embrace.
All of them burst into unexpected laughter.
“Okay, have a seat.” Tom finally assured them to their seats after getting over the laughing spell.

“So what are you doing Brian?” Jane asked him out of curiosity after the waitress had gotten their order, “What are your future plans in the music industry?”.
“I’m recording for a solo album.” he responded briefly as he took a sip of diet coke from his glass.
“Oh really?’ she continued to banter, “When is it going to be released?” Brian furrowed his brow as he tried to think of the best answer to her question.
“Around April or May.” he finally told her.
“I hope your schedule is not too cramped.” Tom joined in their conversation.
“Why?” Brian turned to look at him.
“We want to invite you and your family to Allen’s recital.” Jane told him, cutting of Tom.
They turned to look at Allen, whose face was becoming red with embarrassment.
“Oh, what instrument does he play?” Leighanne queried.
“The violin.” Jane replied proudly.
“When and where is the concert?” Brian asked both Tom and Jane, looking at them expectantly.
Tom cleared his throat before speaking, “The recital is going to be held in the Philip Wakes United School next Monday at 7:30pm.”.
“You can expect us to come.” Brian told them as the waitress served their food.
“How is Nick?” Jane asked Brian as she picked on her Seafood Marinara.
Brian nearly choked on his Carbonara at the mention of Nick.
Leighanne patted his back as he continued coughing.
“I’m sorry if this is not a good time to discuss the matter…” Jane apologized nervously as Brian’s face turned pale.
“No, it’s okay.” Brian replied, giving her a forced smile.
“Nick had a car accident….” Leighanne began.
“We heard about it in the news report.” Tom interrupted her, “How is Nick’s condition?”.
“He’s conscious now.” Leighanne explained.
Suddenly, Brian felt something vibrate in his pocket.
“I got a call.” Brian told the others as he stood up from the table and went outside.
He looked to see who was calling. Dr. Scott.
“Hi, Dr. Scott.” Brian greeted him weakly, fearing he was about to hear bad news.
“Hi, Brian.” Dr. Scott’s voice was tired and frantic, “Nick has been diagnosed with tuberculosis.”.
It hit Brian like a bullet and for awhile, he was too stunned to say anything.
“Brian?” Dr. Scott broke the chaotic thoughts that were clouding his mind.
“I’m going there.” Brian replied determinedly.
He could hear persistent coughing in the background. He knew that Nick would need him most at that very moment.

“Something came up with Nick.” Brian looked apologetically at them as he turned to leave.
“How the heck are we suppose to go home, Brian?” Leighanne asked him which caused Brian to look at her once more.
“We could drop you off in your house.” Tom told her calmly.
Seeing that the issue was solved, Brian walked briskly to his car as he felt the tears slowly fall down his cheeks.