- Text Size +
Brian held Baylee in his arms as he searched for a place to sit. Leighanne was in the restroom and was going to follow afterwards.
The theatre was filled with people and the noise was deafening --- this reminded him of touring with the Backstreet Boys. He would look out to the crowd and see some posters raised up that said, “I love you Brian” or something similar to that. He would hear some people shout his name from the crowd. He grinned at the thought.
“Now I’m going to be one of them.” he joked to himself as he spotted Tom and Jane waving at him from their seats.
It had been a long time since he’d been an audience to someone or a group of people.
“Hey, how you doing?” Tom gave him a quick hug as he pointed to the three empty seats beside him and Jane, “These are for you.”
“Thanks.” Brian replied as he sat Baylee down on his chair and sat on his own chair.
After a few minutes, Leighanne came and sat beside Baylee.
“Five more minutes till the presentation starts.”
Baylee squealed in delight as the lights dimmed.
Tom and Jane looked at Baylee in amusement.
“Cool down, Baylee.” Leighanne joked.
Baylee however hadn’t heard what she said and looked intently at the stage.
Jane laughed pleasantly, “Allen used to do that when he was a small kid.”
Brian turned his attention expectantly to the stage as a small boy carrying a saxophone went on stage.
Blaring saxophone music drifted to his ears.
“I guess I’m going to have a long night.” Brian thought to himself as he tried to fight the drowsiness that was slowly overtaking him.

Screams could be heard as an explosion sounded from outside. Brian turned to look out his window at what caused the commotion. An electrical wire had fallen unto their front yard and a fire had burst. The fire was rapidly approaching their house.
Brian rose from his chair in panic and ran to their bedroom to rouse Leighanne. Leighanne was already awake from the noise and they both went to Baylee’s room and carried him.
When safely outside, Brian finally realized that he left something.
Shouts to stop were drowned as Brian entered the now-burning house.
He searched frantically until he finally found what he was looking for.
He looked for a place to escape but unconsciousness started overtaking him.
Suddenly, rubble from the ceiling fell down and pinned him to the ground…

Brian opened his eyes and was greeted by a violin playing. He relaxed his muscles, but his breathing was still labored.
He saw Allen performing on stage and he decided to enjoy the show.
Despite the extraordinary gift that Allen had, the music could not penetrate his more chaotic thoughts.
He hardly noticed it when Allen bowed and left the stage, followed by thunderous clapping.
His attention was diverted when he heard a flute being played. Or what sounded like a flute being played.
Brian turned to look at who was on stage.
A young girl with straight brunette hair was playing an instrument that looked like a flute, but somehow he knew it wasn’t a flute.
“Mommy,” Baylee asked Leighanne as she looked expectantly at him, “What is that girl playing?”
“She’s playing the fife, dear.” Leighanne answered him pleasantly.
He hardly listened as Baylee continued to ask Leighanne questions to which she answered patiently.
He somehow recognized the young girl playing the fife but he could not recall where or when he saw her.
The music she played inspired the inner depths of his soul, but he did not know why.
The music somehow had an invisible hold over him, a hold that prevented him from going to harm’s way.
Sadly, her piece finished and he watched disappointedly as she bowed to the audience, holding the tip of her pink skirt as she did.
A deafening applause followed and the lights were turned on, showing that the recital had ended.
“Allen played so great.” Leighanne remarked as she carried Baylee in her arms.
“Yeah.” Brain answered, but he couldn’t help feel very blessed because of that little brunette girl.