- Text Size +
Brian read his book one last time before closing it altogether. The plane was set to land in ten minutes and he was more than glad to get away from this place.
He had tried to converse with the man beside him but he merely grunted in response before going back to whatever he was doing in his laptop.
Brian tightened the grip on his bag as he felt the plane land.
He had missed his family incredibly even when only three days passed by.

Brian tapped his foot impatiently on the hard gravel of the sidewalk. He had been waiting in the airport for twenty minutes and no one had come to pick him up.
He began to wonder if they actually forgot about him when he saw AJ's car whiz by.
"Hey B-rok, how you doin'?" AJ asked him as he grabbed his duffel bag and threw it in the trunk.
"I'm fine." Brian replied as he sat beside the driver seat.
"Sorry for being late, Rok. Hope its fine with you."
"What made you late in the first place?"
"Nick's doctor, Dr. S... something called Leighanne and told her that Nick's going to be released tomorrow." AJ mentioned excitedly like he was going to his first ball game.
"What? I thought Nick had tuberculosis..." Brian's voice drifted in confusion.
"The doc said his condition was not as worse as it seemed. He said Nick had to be admitted to the ICU because of a sudden drop in his blood pressure. With his tuberculosis diagnosis and his previous car accident, he just wanted to make sure he lived." AJ smirked humorously.
"How about his medication? Isn't he supposed to be treated for tuberculosis?" Brian looked questioningly at him, the confusion still lingered in his face.
"Na, that's no big deal. He just needs to take some pills and have a lot of rest."
"So we can't play basketball anymore?" Brian asked AJ, teasing sparkle lighting up beneath his blue eyes.
"I guess so, for the meantime." AJ said to Brian making sure he heard the sarcasm in his voice.
"That's not fair." Brian whined childishly which sent bursts of laughter from the two of them.
The laughter quickly receded as AJ turned to Brian's street.
"See ya soon, Rok." AJ told him as Brian retrieved his duffel bag from him.
"Bye."
Brian watched as he sped off in his car.
He opened the door to his dark house, which didn't surprise him. It was 9'o clock in the evening and Baylee was suppose to be asleep by now.
He prepared a late-night snack of instant noodle soup.
He decided against opening a bag of potato chips even though he knew it would be much quicker that way.
He ate his noodle soup in their dining room, right where he usually ate-- on one of the ends of their rectangular table.
The only lights that were open were that of the kitchen and dining room.
It had been a long time since he'd eaten here with his family. Most of the time, he was either too busy visiting Nick or recording.
He promised he would eat with his family for breakfast tomorrow. He sweared he won't break that promise.
Brian finally washed his dishes and headed upstairs to his room.
He found Leighanne awake, which by now was not unusual since she had always been awake waiting for him whenever he went out the whole day.
"Or for three whole days." he thought passively.
"How was your trip, honey?" Leighanne looked up from the book she was reading as she waited for his response.
"Fine." Brian dropped his duffel bag on the floor and went to the dressing room to change.
Leighanne went back to what she was reading as he changed.
Brian came out of the dressing room sporting the same t-shirt and boxers he wore the night he spilled the news about Nick.
Leighanne was not surprised a bit by this coincidence.

"I'm glad you were able to meet Nick Pearson." Leighanne replied as they both sat on the bed talking to each other.
Brian had told her everything that happened, including the story and the dream.
"What was the name of the story again?" Leighanne asked him pleasantly.
"Death In Reality by Honey Austin, don't you remember?" Brian laughed, amused at his wife's short memory.
"Nope, I was just asking about the title." Leighanne defended herself, "I think I know Honey Austin."
"You do?" Brian would have dropped the papers he was holding if Leighanne hadn't been holding it too.
"Yeah, I met her mother. Nice person. Honey attends the Healthy Heart Club due hypo plastic left heart syndrome at birth. She's going to be playing the fife at the awards show on Saturday night.
Brian winced. He almost forgot about the awards show.
"Is she okay now?" Brian asked.
A baby couldn't live without a little intervention in that case.
"Yeah, she was given a heart transplant a few days after she was born. Her father paid for the surgery."
"I would want to meet her someday." Brian whispered quietly, realization finally hitting him.
She was diagnosed with a heart problem from birth, just like him, and she had lost her father, her indirect lifesaver, in a very brutal way.
"I'm sure you'll be able to meet her."
"I've decided on what story should be chosen."
"What?" Leighanne looked questioningly at him.
"Her story." Brian told her.
"Death In Reality," Leighanne thought about the choice before saying anything more, "Yeah, I think it's a really nice story. Her life's a drama story in itself." she smiled.
Brian nodded even though he didn't have to nod at her.
The story seemed to come from a drama play or a novel, but her life was a novel in itself.
"I'm just wondering... how is Nick?" Brian asked Leighanne.
Although he knew too well what she was going to say, he just needed the reassurance in her voice.
"He's going to be released tomorrow." Leighanne's eyes lighted up at the mention of Nick, "He would be able to go back home, but a nurse would have to be with him every time."
"Can he walk or...?"
"Nick's doctor said he'd have to be in a wheelchair. The severe wound in his leg would make it hard for him to walk, let alone stand. Nick wouldn't be able to live on crutches since he has a broken arm." Leighanne waved her right arm to make it clear to him which arm was affected.
"Is he going to be alright?" Brian thought it was a senseless question to ask since he already knew the answer, but he couldn't help it.
"He's going to be fine." Leighanne looked at him, her eyes full of concern, "Are YOU alright?"
"It's just, it's just..." Brian was at a loss of words.
He knew Nick would be fine but he felt that something bad would happen to either of them.
"Its okay, Brian. I'm here." Leighanne placed her hands under his shirt and rubbed his back.
Brian trembled at the touch of her hands. He felt her fingers run up and down his spine as he shivered in pleasure.
He moved his head closer to hers as their lips brushed in a kiss and it felt like time had stopped at that very moment.