- Text Size +
Brian turned on the radio to pass the time. Immediately he heard a song being played, a song that he had heard before from a movie. He heard the starting strums of the guitar and the melody that it gave.

“If I could change the currents of our lives
to make the river flow where it’s run dry
to be a prodigal of father’s time
then I would see you tonight

If I could find the years that went away
destroying all the cruelty of fate
I must believe that love could find a way tonight”

Brian gripped the steering wheel as he listened to the rest of the song.

“Lonely finds me
one day you’ll never come
But I’ll wait for love’s sake
one day to me, love…”

Leighanne reached out and touched Brian’s arm lightly, pointing to him the entrance to the hospital’s underground parking lot. Apparently, Brian had been concentrating too hard on the song that he almost missed the entrance… Brian turned sharply, nearly missing the entrance by inches.
“What the heck?” Leighanne screamed at him as he turned sharply.
Brian didn’t hear her, his mind occupied with worry, fear, and nervousness.

“Then hope would make these promises come true
beyond what I could say that love can do
With every moment leading to you tonight…”

Brian suddenly felt a pain in his cheek, which receded quickly. He turned to Leighanne beside him, and demanded an explanation for the slapping. Leighanne merely looked coldly at him, her eyes boring into his nervous gaze. Brian dosed the engine, and immediately, the song that he so- wanted to finish disappeared. He went out of the car, followed by Leighanne, and they slowly approached the elevator.

Brian looked at his surroundings as they slowly went up to the 5th floor. Brian knew all too well that this was the very elevator that he was in when he went to the ICU to visit Baylee…
Brian pushed the troubling thoughts of his mind, and instead, focused on Nick.
What exactly happened to Nick? Was he drunk in a night of slumber, or did he veer into a red light in broad daylight?
Brian shook his head, visibly in a state of confusion. He wondered if the accident was caused by plain foolishness, or by something deeper that cannot be penetrated by on looking eyes.
At that moment, the elevator door opened to the 5th floor. Brian and Leighanne disembarked and went on to find room 572.
“Nick Carter – Doctor G. Scott” was labeled on the door to the room.
When Brian entered the room, he was surprised to see Howie, AJ, and Kevin already there, with Baylee in Kevin’s arms.
Brian finally noticed that Nick was pale and his eyes were closed. His head and legs had bandages on them, where beneath them lay deep wounds which were stitched. He also had a cast on his left arm. There was a tube running from his wrist to the dextrose which lay above him.
Dr. Scott, who apparently didn’t notice the arrivals, was filling out a form. Everyone looked sober; even the usually jolly Baylee was quiet.
Brian looked intently at Nick, a member of the Backstreet Boys, and at the same time, a victim of a car accident. What imminent thoughts could possibly grip his mind?
Dr. Scott, who was finally finished filling out the form turned around and faced them, flopping his white coat as he did.
“He has a severe gash in his head, a broken arm, and a deep wound in his leg. I advise that he stay here in the hospital until he gets those stitches removed.” he told them.
“I don’t see that he’s fit enough to be released, anyway.” AJ replied.
“What happened?” Brian asked them quickly.
Though he knew all too well what happened, he needed to know the details to the accident.
“Check this out.” Howie handed him the days, Entertainment section of USA Today.
Typed in bold and capital letters, the words peered at him coldly and mercilessly:
BSB BOY CAUGHT IN CAR ACCIDENT

“Oh my gosh.” Aaron Carter gasped as he switched the channel to CNN. He watched with his mouth gaped as the broadcaster made the hour’s E-news special.
“Nick Carter, known as one of the members of the Backstreet Boys was caught in a car accident yesterday afternoon in Atlanta, Georgia…”.
The scene was switched from the CNN news room to a catching scene in the busy roads of Atlanta. Nick was pulled from the wreckage of his car into a stretcher by the paramedics, and into a waiting ambulance…
“Leslie, Angel, you gotta check this out.” Aaron called for them.
Leslie approached Aaron first, and she wondered impatiently what her little brother would want from her.
“What do you want?” Leslie asked him with her arms folded who was visibly annoyed.
“Look at this.” Aaron replied hurriedly as he got caught up with the broadcast.
“Sweet mother of…” Leslie gasped.
“Na, ah, ah, no swearing, Leslie.” Angel said who stuck a finger at her.
Leslie ignored her, focusing instead on the broadcast.
She realized then that everyone was quiet, and she finally got caught up with the broadcast.
The scene was switched to that of the lobby of the St. Phils Hospital. AJ, Howie, Kevin, Baylee, and Leighanne were there, in the middle of the chaos of news reporters, photographers, and cameramen.
The reporter was currently interviewing Kevin.
“So what is Nick’s condition?” the reporter raised his first question.
The group merely ignored them, walking away towards the elevator.
“Where’s Brian?” the reporter noticed, counting; only three of the Backstreet Boys present.
“He’s upstairs with Nick, for your information.” Leighanne retorted at them, in her controlled rage; which she should have never done.
This reply raised a vast amount f questions coming from the on looking media reporters.
They continued walking towards the elevator, ignoring the flashes of cameras and the yells of the reporters. The media people though, were following them, taking pictures for magazines, and newspapers, and asking questions to give content to the articles and news broadcasts that they would be making.
Finally, doctors and nurses who saw the difficulty that they were having to go to the elevator helped them by blocking the path of the paparazzi.
The owner of the hospital, who was present at that time and witnessed the event spoke to the several media people that were assembled there.
“According to the rules of this hospital, we do not support ‘media on-goers’ beyond the lobby. We believe that the patients in this hospital should maintain their privacy. I’m sorry, but you are not allowed beyond this point.”.
Everyone became quiet at that very moment. The flashes of cameras stopped and the yells ceased.
AJ mouthed a thanks to the owner as he pressed the button to close the doors to the elevator.
“My pleasure.” the owner mouthed them before the elevator descended.
The crowd of paparazzi suddenly dispersed, leaving the owner, the doctors, and nurses behind, whom eventually went back to what they were doing.