- Text Size +
Brian sat up finally after his rather turbulent nightmare. He could feel sweat on his back and neck, but no fever. He looked around him. He was in a hospital room with the lights out, and Nick was sleeping beside him in another bed. He didn’t bother to wake him up so instead lay down again on his bed attempting to drift off. He thought momentarily about the dream he had and what it really meant before he was able to sleep off the troubling thoughts of his head.

Next morning, Brian found himself in Nick’s car heading back to his house. The hospital released him that morning, with a prescription of some stress pills. Brian was burdened by the thought of his stress going to the extent of taking pills. He remembered the conversation he had with his doctor.
“We believed that the reason for your passing our is emotional. Were you thinking about anything before you passed out?”
“Yes, actually I was.” Brian recalled replying to him, “I was thinking about a dream that I dreamt the night before last night.”
“What was the dream about?”
Then he remembered telling the whole dream to him.
“As far as I’m concerned, I recommend that you take stress pills. Hopefully, you would be able to get back to normal by then.”
“So how did the conversation go?” Nick asked Brian, breaking the many thoughts that were clouding his mind.
“The doctor said that I only need to take those stress pills.” Brian replied showing him the pills which were in a plastic bag.
“He didn’t say that something’s physically wrong with you?”
“Nope.” Brian said idly.
They remained silent the rest of the time going back to Brian’s house. Brian watched the passing scenery thoughtfully. His mind then drifted to the dream he had the night before. The dream scared him, and he was relieved that it wasn’t true.
He suddenly remembered, a few months ago, when one of the worst nightmares he couldn’t imagine would happen, happened in his life. He felt the feelings of stress, harassment, and nervousness that he hadn’t felt in a long time come back to him like a tidal wave crashing to the shore. He felt tears build in his eyes and he searched frantically for a tissue box in the glove compartment. Realizing he could no longer keep the tears from flowing, he made an effort to hide the tears rolling down his cheeks. He sobbed quietly and he felt a comforting pat on his back. Nick knew that Brian was going through a tough time with the events that were happening and he wanted to make an effort this time to encourage him and hold him up all the way through. There was just something that Nick didn’t know that Brian had hidden in the innermost part of his heart…

Leighanne looked up from the book she was reading when Brian entered the room. She noticed that Brian was nervously biting his nails, a habit that he only revealed when he was very nervous and when he was in the presence of someone close to him, such as her.
“What’s wrong, Brian?” Leighanne asked her husband concernedly as she put her book down.
“Nothing’s wrong.” he replied nonchalantly as he put himself under the bed sheet covers.
“Are you sure nothing’s wrong?” Leighanne looked patiently at him, willing to give the encouragement that Brian would need, “Is there something that you’re not telling me?”.
“I was just thinking about a dream I had last night.”.
“Tell me what the dream was about.”.
“Okay, I dreamt that I was in a hospital bed. Nick, Kevin, you, and a doctor were surrounding me m my bed and I heard the doctor tell you that I had a high fever.” Brian hesitated, briefly looking at Leighanne with his blue eyes, wondering if he should continue.
“Yes, go on…”.
“Then Howie and AJ entered the room. After them a nurse came and gave a document to the doctor…” he felt his resistance grow thinner.
“Go on.”.
“Then the doctor told me I had…” Brian tried to say.
“You had what?” Leighanne asked.
“Leukemia.” he felt his heart break.
He grabbed a tissue from the tissue box beside him and cried. He knew it wasn’t the Leukemia that made him cry. He knew that it was the overwhelming painful feeling in his heart that made him cry. It was just so indescribable he didn’t know how to explain it to her…
“It’s okay, Brian.” Leighanne told him as she hugged him, trying to comfort him the best way she could.
“I just can’t describe it, Leigh.” Brian replied over the tears that were pouring down his face.