- Text Size +
For the next three weeks, Nick and Lucky ignored each other. According to Nick, they only co-existed in his apartment. Lucky left him notes as to her whereabouts and if he had any major events that he needed to tend to. One day, Lucky had decided that enough was enough and that she couldn’t continue to live in the same place with someone who she couldn’t converse with regularly.

“Um Nick. Hi.” Lucky said as she put her book down on the coffee table in the living room. Nick was passing by and he looked up at the sound of his name.

“Hi Lucky. Listen, I’ve got to get going, I’m about to be late for um, something.” Nick said as he headed out the door.

“No you’re not.” Lucky said and that caused Nick to turn around and look at her.

“I know that you’re just leaving so that you don’t have to be here with me. Listen, I’m SO sorry about that hug, but really it meant nothing. It was just an impulsive mistake that I made.” Lucky said as Nick retreated to the living room and sat across from her. She clasped her hands in front of her and looked at him.

“I just don’t want things to be uncomfortable because of that gesture. I don’t have any kind of romantic feelings for you, I just thought it would be a friendly thing to do since we were kind of having a friendly moment.” She continued.

“Listen, I don’t care. Whatever. I really do have somewhere to go, so if you’ll excuse me.” Nick got up and left before Lucky had any kind of chance. Lucky sighed and retreated to her book.

Later that afternoon, Lucky had an appointment to pick something up at the management building, so she walked down there and found that there was a large envelope with both her’s and Nick’s names on it.

She thanked Julie and tucked the envelope in her purse. As she was about to close up her purse, her cell phone rang. “Lucky Sullivan.” She answered. “Oh, hi Peterson. I just got an envelope, probably the invite. Ok, I’ll keep my eye out.” She said and hung up the phone.

Lucky took the subway back to the apartment and when she reached her apartment, she threw her purse on the kitchen counter and dug out the envelope. She looked up and saw Nick walking into the room.

“What is that?” Nick asked her and came around the kitchen counter and opened the fridge, grabbing a soda for himself and then shutting it.

“I don’t know. Johnny called me earlier and told me that I needed to pick something up from the agency, so I went down there and Julie handed me this envelope. It has both of our names on it, so I was going to leave it out for you.” Lucky said and carefully opened the flap of the envelope and pulled out a thick piece of cream colored cardstock.


Jive Records Cordially Invites

Nickolas Carter and Lucky Sullivan

To Attend the 6th Annual Charity Ball

Held in Honor This Year of the Backstreet Boys’ 12th Year

Dress is Formal and Dinner Will Be Served

This event will take place on the 28th of June in the Year 2005

At 8:00 P.M. on the 53rd Floor of the Rihga Royal Hotel

Located at 151 West 54th Street, New York


“That sounds wonderful!” Lucky said and looked up at Nick.

“Yeah, wonderful. Whatever. Just another night for a tux. I hate those things!” Nick said and walked to the living area and turned on the TV.

“Well, I’m going to look it up on the internet. I’m sure it’s beautiful. What am I supposed to wear?” Lucky asked, to no one in particular.

“I don’t care what you wear. Just don’t embarrass me. Apparently we’re supposed to go together, so you’d better look nice.” Nick said arrogantly and took a sip from his soda.

“Trust me, you’d better be the one on your best behavior Mr. High and Mighty.” Lucky said and slammed her bedroom door shut. Lucky turned her attention away from Nick to her computer and looked up the hotel ballroom. On the internet, it looked like a dream. She couldn’t wait to see how it was going to be decorated.

She picked up her cell phone and dialed Johnny’s number. “Hey Johnny, it’s Lucky.”

“Hey Lucky! Julie told me that you came and picked up your invitation. Is this your RSVP?” Johnny asked over the phone.

“Yes, and also a question. I have nothing to wear. What do you suggest I do?” Lucky asked and bit her lip in anticipation of the answer.

“Make Nick go to someone who can design a dress and make him a new tux. He really needs one. But whatever the expense, put it on the account. Lucky, it’s ok to have nice things now that you’re making a lot of money.” Johnny laughed over the phone.

“Ok, thanks Johnny! I’ll see you later!” Lucky said excitedly and hung up the phone. She jumped off of her bed and walked into the living room. Nick was still sitting on the couch.

“Get up. Let’s go!” Lucky said as she walked to the front door and slid on her flip-flops and grabbed her purse.

“Where are we going, and why are we going there?” Nick asked.

“We’re going dress and tuxedo shopping for the event we’re supposed to attend in two weeks.” Lucky said and Nick walked over cautiously.

“Am I going to have to watch you try on dresses for hours?” Nick groaned.

“No. I’ve already got a place in mind. I have a friend who works for Georgio Armani design and she has told me that if I ever need anything, just call her up and she’ll do her best to make it happen. I already know what I want my dress to look like and I just need her to take our measurements. It’s the least you can do for being so rude lately.” Lucky said and Nick was trudging behind her.

“Whatever Lucky. But don’t expect me to be happy about this.” Nick said and closed the door behind him.

“Don’t worry. I never expect you to be happy about anything.” Lucky said and they climbed into the elevator and eventually made it to the Armani store they were looking for.

Inside, they met with Lucky’s friend Jenna and she whisked them away to have their measurements taken separately. After an hour of detailed measurements, Lucky and Nick were reunited in the lobby.

“Thank you so much Jenna! I’m really looking forward to seeing how these outfits turn out. I’ll be keeping in touch!” Lucky said as she and Nick walked back into the sun.

“Well, that was a waste of an hour.” Nick grunted as he hailed a cab for the both of them.

“What are you talking about? You’re getting a new tuxedo for a CHARITY event. How can that be a waste of time?” Lucky asked him as a cab pulled up and they both got in.

“This charity ball is a waste of time too.” Nick said as the driver pulled into traffic.

“What is wrong with you? You really must be some kind of stone-cold son of a bitch to treat people like this. Do you even know what charity the proceeds are going to? Or how they’re raising the money?” Lucky asked.

“No, and honestly, I never do. I show up, donate money and I’m done.” Nick said matter-of-factly and looked over at Lucky.

“Well, in case you were wondering, the money is going to the Make-A-Wish foundation. In order to raise money, there is a $100.00 reservation fee per couple, and then it is going to cost $50.00 per dance. Honestly, I think this is a great idea and a great way to promote the Make-A-Wish foundation.” Lucky explained.

“Whatever you say Lucky, just don’t be expecting me to shell out $50.00 to dance with you.” Nick retorted and turned to glare out the window.

They sat in silence for the rest of the ride and then returned to their apartment in silence.

For the next two weeks, Lucky deliberately gave Nick the silent treatment, until it was time to pick up their formal attire.

“Nick, I’m going to pick up our clothes for tonight, is there anything you might need that you don’t already have for tonight?” Lucky asked.

“Yeah! Another date!” Nick called out and Lucky fumed as she slammed the apartment door shut.

Once she got back, she threw Nick’s box down in front of him and said, “Listen buddy. I don’t care if you’re the biggest asshole in the world when we’re here, but in public, you’d better pretend that you like me because it’s your “goody-two-shoes, nicest-guy-in-the-world” reputation that’s on the line.” Lucky said and Nick snapped up to face her. “Oooh, did I hit a nerve, pretty boy?” Lucky said sarcastically and carried her dress into her room. The doorbell rang and she walked out to answer it.

Standing in front of her were the people she hired as a “beauty team” for the night. She had someone for her hair, her nails, and her make-up. She smiled at them and they walked in down to her room.

“Nick, we have five hours to get ready. I’ll see you back in here at 7:30.” Lucky said and disappeared into her room.

After 5 hours, Lucky looked in the mirror at her transformation and was amazed. Her dress was floor length and emerald green. There was a loop around her neck and a small split in between her cleavage. There was also a diamond clasp at the starting point of the loop. Her fiery red hair was in an abundance of loose curls that were half up and half down in a long ponytail. She had a diamond clasp around her hair and a diamond bracelet accented her wrist. She had on large square cut emerald earrings and an emerald and diamond ring on her right ring finger. Her make-up was dark-green and black eyes and a light pink lip gloss.

When she emerged from her room, Nick was standing with his back to her and he was adjusting his tie and making sure that his hair was spiky enough. He turned around when he heard movement behind him and saw Lucky in her green dress. He gulped back in his throat before dropping his mouth in awe. She smiled a fake smile at him and grabbed her black beaded purse and headed for the door.

“Ready?” She asked Nick. She smiled and waved at the people who had helped her and walked out. Nick let out a breath he had been holding and followed her to the elevator. Once they were on, Lucky could feel Nick staring at her. “Is there something you need?”

“Um, wow.” Nick cleared his throat. “No, nothing.” He said and looked straight ahead. Once they reached the lobby, their limo driver was waiting for them.

“You look wonderful Ms. Sullivan. And you don’t look too shabby yourself Mr. Carter.” Their driver said and pulled out into traffic.

The drive took 5 minutes and once they arrived, Nick got out and opened the door for Lucky. He plastered on the trademark Nick Carter smile for the multiple lights flashing in his face. He took Lucky’s hand and placed it in the crook of his arm. They walked together to the elevator, through the photographers and once inside, Lucky withdrew her hand.

“You look very nice.” Nick said to her in the reflection of the elevator. He smiled a real smile at her and then looked down.

“Thank you, so do you. Can we just pretend to be nice to each other tonight? If not for us, then for the charity.” Lucky suggested and the bell in the elevator rang, signaling that they were at the floor they needed to be on for the ball.