- Text Size +
Nick looked at Lucky and nodded. “I guess I can put being an asshole aside for one night. But tomorrow, it’s back to the same old me!” He winked at Lucky and took her arm again.

Lucky laughed lightly and thought to herself, “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

As they entered the 53rd Floor Ballroom, Lucky plastered on a smile and walked into a very upscale and classy room. It was decorated with tiny white lights and there were many round tables draped with black tablecloths and white candles in the center.

Nick led her to their table and pulled out her chair. She sat down and was introduced to the rest of the Guys’ wives and dates. Lucky was immediately swept into conversation with the women at the table.

“So, Lucky, how is our arrogant-as-ever Nicky treating you?” Kristin asked Lucky and winked at Nick. “And I want to know the honest answer.”

“Nick … is … interesting. We have a complicated relationship. Considering I’m just his Personal Assistant. I don’t want to be too overbearing and I don’t want him to miss anything important.” Lucky answered honestly.

“I don’t think you’re too overbearing.” Nick said and took a sip of his drink.

“Yeah, because I only talk to you on your terms. I write him notes and leave them around the apartment.” Lucky said, turning from Nick to the rest of the table.

“What is it like living with a girl Nick? This is the first time that you’ve actually had one in that apartment, isn’t it?” Leighanne asked Nick.

“What is this? 20 questions?” Nick asked and immediately began brooding again.

“Now, that’s the Nick Carter we know and love.” Howie’s date, Ashley, commented and the table erupted in mild laughter.

“So Lucky, how did your parents come up with that name?” AJ asked her.

“I was born on St. Patrick’s Day and my parents couldn’t think of anything, so they thought of Lucky.” She answered and looked up to see the waiters bringing their food, just in time.

The meal went relatively well with a little bit more small talk, but mostly peaceful eating. By the time all of the meals were cleared, everyone at the table was contently full.

“That was the best meal I’ve ever had.” Lucky said as she sat back in her chair and placed a hand over her stomach. “I can’t believe they expect us to dance now.”


“Don’t worry. You don’t have to dance any time soon. I’m not going to be dancing at all.” Nick said and glared at the empty spot in front of him.

“You’re not going to be dancing at all? It’s for charity Nick.” Lucky pleaded.

“I don’t care. I’ll write them a check for the dances that I would have danced and then I’m good.” Nick said.

Just then, Johnny came to the table and placed his hands on Nick’s and Lucky’s shoulders. “I’m so glad to see you two here, together … and not fighting,” he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Right, not fighting.” Lucky said and excused herself from the table.

“Do you see what you’ve done, Nick? Geez, can’t you be nice to a woman ONCE in your life?” AJ accused and got up from the table, dragging his date, Heather, to the dance floor.

Lucky stood by the dessert table glancing over the different varieties when someone came up behind her. “I saw what happened over there. I didn’t mean to over hear, but I’m sorry Nick is being such a douche bag.”

Lucky looked up and saw Kevin standing in front of her. “How did you “over hear”? You were sitting at the table with us.” Lucky walked away a little annoyed and embarrassed.

“I’m not Kevin. Everyone says that I look like him, but my name is Jesse Black. I’m the drummer for the Backstreet Boys’ back-up band. And you are …?” Jesse stuck out his hand to Lucky.

“Lucky Sullivan, Nick’s Personal Assistant. Nice to meet you Jesse. But I really must be going.” She said and withdrew her hand. She walked away, remembering her mental picture of Jesse.

She was on her way back to the table when the real Kevin caught up to her and touched her shoulder, causing her to turn around. When she turned around, she saw that Kevin wasn’t alone. She saw light blue eyes and short blonde hair, standing in a 6’1” frame and a white tuxedo. She smiled at them both and stared at the nameless face in front of her.

“Hi Lucky, I figure that you’re going to be around longer than most of Nick’s people, so I thought that you should start getting to know the people of the firm. This is Hunter Kensington. He’s Peter Kensington’s son, the Vice President of Jive Records.” Kevin introduced the two.

Lucky stuck out her hand to shake Hunter’s, but he surprised her buy taking it to his lips and giving it a polite kiss. Lucky smiled at the gesture and said, “It’s very nice to meet you, Hunter Kensington. I’m Lucky Sullivan.”

“Lucky Sullivan, trust me, the pleasure is all mine.” Hunter said in a smooth voice. “Would you care to dance?”

“I would love to!” Lucky said excitedly and Hunter walked her to the dance floor and signed their names to the sign in sheet.

Nick sat at the table watching Lucky head to the dance floor with who he thought was the son of one of the executives. He sighed and turned to talk to one of the other guys to find that he was alone at the table. He looked back to Lucky to find her and her partner dancing really close. He felt the familiar stirring of rejection.

“This is stupid. How can I feel rejected when I don’t even like her?” He went back to his drink which, he realized, was nearly empty. He finished the last of it and ordered another. He couldn’t help but look back at Lucky. “That should be me dancing with her.” He thought to himself. Nick’s eyes bulged out. He couldn’t believe that. No wonder he felt rejected.

His drink arrived and he stared down at it. He had no clue when he started liking Lucky; all he knew was that he did. He picked up his drink and downed it in one gulp. He ordered another. He didn’t like the feeling of knowing he liked her and that she couldn’t possibly return his feelings.

He looked at Lucky again. This time taking in what the guy looked like. Nick wasn’t close enough to get a great look, but he didn’t like what he saw. To Nick, he and this guy looked to be about the same height. He was close enough to realize that the other guy had the same color hair. He looks kinda like me.

“Then why won’t she like me?” He thought to himself as he sipped at his next drink while watching her dance with the other guy. She was laughing.

“She never laughs like that with me. I’m not good enough for her. That’s why she doesn’t like me. I probably wouldn’t even have a chance if I had treated her better.” He could still feel the pain of rejection and ordered another drink.

AJ looked at the table from where he was mingling. He furrowed his brow in confusion when he saw Nick at the table alone. He watched Nick for a few minutes, watching as the waiter kept bringing Nick full glasses of something. He excused himself and headed back to the table. He reached the table just as the waiter placed the drink in front of Nick.

AJ grabbed the glass before Nick could grab it. “Hey. Give that back.” He said with his words slurring slightly.

“Nick, do you want to talk about what’s bothering you?” AJ asked as he placed the glass back on the waiter’s tray.

“Nothing is bothering me.” Nick looked toward Lucky, who was still dancing.

AJ followed Nick’s gaze. “You like Lucky, don’t you?”

“What? That’s ridiculous.” Nick said as he folded his hands and placed them on the table. He shook his head as his eyes returned to Lucky and Hunter dancing.

“Really Nick. You haven’t taken your eyes off of Lucky since I’ve been over here.” AJ observed.

Nick sighed. “Fine. I like her, but it doesn’t matter because she doesn’t like me.”

“Maybe you should have treated her better.” AJ pointed out to a self-defeated Nick.

“I couldn’t help it. You know how I am.” He shrugged and shook his head again.

“Look, Nick, just because you treated her that way doesn’t mean she won’t dance with you. Go up to her and ask her to dance.” AJ suggested.

“I can’t. I blew my chance.”

“Fine Nick. Don’t ask her to dance. You’re throwing away your chance. But it’s your life and you’ll do what you want with it. But I will not allow you to continue with the alcohol.” AJ stood up and walked back to mingling. Nick stayed at the table feeling dejected and alone.

Lucky approached the table. She placed her hand on his shoulder. “Hey Nick.” Nick looked up. He gave her a small fleeting smile. “You want to dance?” She smiled at him.

He had a sudden boost of confidence. She came to ask him to dance. This was his chance. He opened his mouth to respond and he was about to say yes when he looked over her shoulder and saw Hunter staring at them.

He closed his mouth as the feeling of inferiority washed over him once again. He chickened out and said, “No thanks Lucky.” He returned his gaze to the tablecloth. God Carter, you’re such a wimp. That was your chance. Why do you have to screw everything up?

Lucky began to walk away, but then turned back to Nick. “Nick, are you ok?”

“I’m fine.” He lied through his teeth.

She could tell that was a lie. She heard it in his soft voice. She returned to Hunter. She turned back to look at the table. Nick had his head hung low. She was staring at Nick’s back, lost in her thoughts.

“Lucky, did you hear anything I just said?” Hunter asked, pulling her out of her thoughts.

“What? Oh, no, I’m sorry. I’m worried about Nick.” She said, and not breaking her gaze on Nick.

“What? Why?” Hunter asked, brushing off her idea.

“It seems like something is bothering him.” She responded and turned her head towards him.

“I wouldn’t worry too much about him. He was probably just rejected by some cheap slut.” Hunter scoffed and looked over at Nick.

“I don’t know. How can he get rejected when he hasn’t even left the table?” Lucky asked, hesitation in her mind and her voice.

“Oh, come on Lucky. Stop worrying. I’d much rather spend the rest of the night with the girl I was dancing with earlier, and not a worrywart, who’s worried over someone as temperamental as Nick Carter. Let’s dance.” Hunter grabbed her hand and headed to the dance floor.

She let him lead her back to the dance floor, but not without taking another look at Nick. What’s wrong with you Nick?