- Text Size +
As Nick found himself pushing Lucky back into her room, he realized just how much he had come to like her and appreciate her. He held onto her tightly and just stood in the room until she made an attempt to let go. She looked up at him with sadness in her eyes and Nick just smiled at her.

“Well Carter, what’s gotten into you? The last time I tried to hug you, you would have thought that I was the plague or something.” Lucky said in a sad tone, trying to make a joke. She crossed the room and sat Indian-style at the end of her bed. She turned on the television and began flipping channels absent-mindedly. Nick followed her and collected his thoughts in his head before sitting next to her and speaking.

“Listen Lucky, I need to talk to you. I’ve been the biggest jerk ever. I’m so sorry that I’ve treated you so poorly.” Nick said and sighed as Lucky stopped pushing the channel up button on the remote and looked at him.

“Wow, well that was out of nowhere. Please only say it if you mean it Nick, I don’t need your sympathy.” Lucky said, shutting off the T.V. and throwing the remote somewhere behind her on the bed.

“Lucky, I completely understand why you would say that, but I really mean it. I’m so sorry. I don’t know if anyone ever told you that I have women issues, but I do. I was hurt really deeply when I was younger and ever since then, I haven’t been able to fully trust a good woman.” Nick said, feeling as though his chest was being slowly ripped open and his heart was being exposed for the first time in a long time.

Lucky looked at him with questioning eyes. “I kinda figured that when we met for the first time. You gave me the once over and then kind of dismissed me. I felt a little rejected and I didn’t even know you. And you didn’t know me either.”

“I’m so sorry.” Nick said for the third time that night. He hung his head and then gathered more courage. He repositioned himself so that he was facing Lucky with one leg draped over the end of the bed and he was playing with his fingers. “You know Lucky … you can talk to me … about Hunter … if you want.”

“Oh Nick, I don’t want to burden you with my girl trouble. He’s just a jerk, sometimes you guys can act that way.” Lucky said as she flipped her fiery hair over her shoulder and sniffed in.

“Don’t do that. Don’t lie to me.” Nick said.

“What? I’m not lying.” Lucky said.

“Yes you are. You did the hair flip.” Nick said. “You do that whenever you get really nervous or uncomfortable with something.”

“How do you know that? I do NOT do that when I’m nervous.” She replied and flipped her hair again.

“Lucky, I know so much more than you think. I may be an arrogant jerk, but I’m an arrogant jerk who notices the little things about you, the things that you do with different moods.” Nick observed.

“I don’t do anything different when I’m in different moods.” Lucky said, defensively. She was almost shocked that Nick noticed more than just her organizational skills.

“Want me to tell you more? To prove you wrong? Because I can.” Nick said with a big smile on his face.

“I’ll tell you some things I’ve noticed about you too then, Mr. Big Stuff.” Lucky replied and crossed her arms.

“Ok, like right now. You get this smile, where you pull your lips in and you have one dimple on the right side of your mouth. This is the smile you have when you think you know something no one else does. I’ve seen you use it with Hunter.” Nick said and lowered his head.

“Ok well, you have different looks when you’re working. Like when you’re singing for example. You have this look that shows all of the emotions you never talk about it on your face. When you’re at a press conference, you have a silly face, but you try so hard to be serious, probably because AJ is saying something smart-ass in your ear. And when you’re in front of a camera, you are all business and professional. I’ve never seen someone with such an intense look in their eyes when they’re having their picture taken.” Lucky admired and looked at Nick, who was staring intently at her. “What? I mean it.”

“I never realized that before. I guess sometimes I do act differently.” Nick conceded. “Well, let’s see. You hate wearing your glasses. Well, maybe not hate them, but you get very agitated with them.” Lucky looked at him with her mouth hanging open.

“How did you know that?” She asked, still flustered by his observation.

“Whenever you wear them, you’re always taking them off and putting them next to you. Then you rub your eyes and look at them in disdain.” Nick said and laughed, lightening up the mood.

“I do not look at them in disdain per se. Maybe I glare at them in loathing.” Lucky admitted and then laughed. “Ok Fancy Pants. Let me see here. You hate it when anyone else does your hair.”

“You are absolutely right. They never do it right.” Nick said and nodded.

“They always put in too much gel. You need less gel and more finger styling.” Lucky said.

“Exactly. Wow. We should talk more often.” Nick said and then realized what he said. He put his head down and Lucky got up from the bed. She walked over to the kitchen sink and turned on the water.

“Nick, you’re allowed to say things that might be honest. I hate it when you and I are so close to having a good conversation and you put your head down in shame. As if I’m going to reprimand you for speaking to me.” Lucky said and poured both her and Nick a drink.

“Ok. Fine. I’ll try to be more open and honest. Just as long as you stop cooking in my kitchen.” Nick said.

“What the hell? My cooking is NOT bad!” Lucky said, suddenly getting very offended.

“That’s not why I’m asking you to stop cooking. Whenever you cook, you get into this zone where you start dancing like you have music in your head, and it gets to me. It makes me happy when I’m trying to be a brooding ass. Stop ruining my bad moods!” Nick said and laughed.

“Scout’s honor!” Lucky said and put up two fingers in a mock salute. “Nick, I really mean it. I would really like to talk to you more often. I think you and I would work so much better together if we actually talked to each other about every day stuff.” She handed him his drink and she sat back down on the bed next to him.

“I agree. So let’s talk about … stuff. What happened with Hunter?” Nick asked, cutting straight to the chase.

“Well, you sure take this honesty thing to heart.” Lucky said, and laughed nervously flipping her hair. “Well gosh, I guess you’re right. I might as well tell you, since he’s probably just waiting for me to call him and tell him that everything’s ok. As you know, he and I have been, um seeing each other for about two months now. Well, I’m not the kind of girl who just hops in the sack with every guy she meets, you know? I kind of like being in love with someone before getting to intimate. Geez, this is so embarrassing.” She said and put her hand up to her cheek, as if she could feel herself blushing.

“It’s ok. You can talk to me.” Nick said and took her hand. He felt his heart drop to a content place in his chest and ran his thumb over the top of her hand.

“I know, it’s just weird, you know? We go from avoiding each other at all costs to talking about personal stuff.” Lucky said, but didn’t pull her hand away.

“Just incase you’re wondering, I’m not the kind of guy who expects a girl to give it to me the first time we meet. Hell, I don’t expect it until I know for sure that she’s ready. If she wants to wait, then I’ll wait. I totally respect girls who know who they are and what they want when it comes to sex.” Nick said, hoping that he was encouraging to keep talking to him.

“That is definitely good news. Anyways, we were in here, hanging out and watching T.V. he just started undressing and pulling me to him. Trying to kiss me, and calling me ‘Baby’ and whatever. I just told him that I wasn’t ready to have sex with him, I barely know him, you know? Anyways, after telling him about five times that I didn’t want to have sex with him, he took it as I never wanted to have sex with him and thought I was breaking up with him. So he got dressed and yelled about how he hoped I could fine the loser that would never have sex with me.” She said. She tightened her grip on Nick’s hand and then pulled away. “I’m not a virgin, Nick. I just don’t want to have sex with him right now. It’s too early in our relationship.”

“I understand. Do you ever want to have sex with him?” Nick proceeded cautiously.

“I don’t know now. Not if he’s going to act like that. I mean, I’ve had my fair share of boyfriends, and I know that he’s the controlling type. I guess I just never noticed it before today.” Lucky said and drank the rest of her water.

“I could have told you that.” Nick snorted. “He’s always been controlling. With the way he wants every one to know that he’s the VP’s son and that he’s OUR boss and blah blah blah. Hunter Kensington the Great.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Lucky said. She started laughing at Nick’s comment.

“Lucky, I …” Nick trailed off as he heard a knock at the door.

Without looking out the peephole, Lucky answered the door. A disheveled Hunter stood in front of her and he looked past her into the room. “Hello Nick. Can I talk to my girlfriend alone?”

“I’m not sure if she wants to talk to you Hunter. Why don’t you ask her first?” Nick responded and got up from the bed, hoping that Lucky would turn Hunter away and they could finish their conversation.

“Baby, can you and I please have some alone time to talk?” Hunter said and placed his hands on Lucky’s hips. He smiled at her and then smirked at Nick.

“Yeah, I think that might be a good idea. Thanks for being a friend Nick. I’m really glad we got to talk. I’d really like some time to talk to Hunter now.” Lucky said and looked out the door.

“If that’s what you want. I’ll probably be across the hall, if you need me. If not, just call my cell phone like you always do.” Nick said feeling completely defeated. He walked across the hall and heard the door close behind him as he opened his own. Walking over to the mini-bar he had in his room, he opened up the refrigerator and grabbed the first bottle of liquor he could find and dumped it into the nearest glass.

*****


“So, what was Nick doing here?” Hunter asked as he closed the door behind him.

“He was just over here talking to me.” Lucky said vaguely and flopped back on the bed.

“Really? Talking? You two were having a civil conversation? Wow, it’s almost a miracle. I mean, I’m not too excited by it, but whatever. I guess that makes your life easier. Hell, it makes my life easier too because now I don’t have to worry about hearing you complain about how much of an asshole he is to you.” Hunter said and jumped on the bed next to Lucky, throwing off his shoes.

“You know Hunter you might try and be a little less understanding.” Lucky said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry baby. I’m just glad you two are getting along now. I mean, honestly, wasn’t he pissing you off to no end?” Hunter said, running his hand up Lucky’s back, under her shirt.

“Hunter, stop it!” Lucky said and smacked away his hand. As she twisted, his hand moved to the front of her shirt and he grabbed a handful of her breast. “Oh Hunter!”

““Baby, I’m so sorry for acting the way I did. I was wrong and immature. Can you ever forgive me?” Hunter asked, in a super smooth tone.

“Hunter, I think it’s time we talked about …” Lucky said and looked at the door, to make sure no one was listening.

*****


Nick looked groggily at the clock and noticed that it read 8:45 pm. He could feel himself losing sense and inhibition of his surroundings. He heard a loud knock on his door and yelled, “GO AWAY!” slurring the words and trying to steady himself. He walked over to his bed and laid there until he heard another knock.

“What the hell do you want? I thought I told you to go away!” Nick yelled, growing belligerent.

“Nick! It’s Lucky. Open up the door!” She yelled and slammed her fist on the door.

“No! I don’t want to fucking talk to you any more. Take advantage of me being a nice guy and then invite that asshole fucker back into your room, and probably your bed, as soon as he comes a calling!” Nick said and continued to lie on his bed.

“Nickolas Gene Carter, that was so disrespectful I don’t even know what to say to you right now. But I know this, that if you don’t answer this door in one minute, I’m going to call hotel security and then all of the local news stations and newspapers to tell them how awful you really are. I’ll even lie and make you sound worse than you …” She trailed off as Nick opened the door and gave a grand gesture for her to enter.

He almost fell over himself as he walked back to the bed. Lucky closed the door and observed the room. There were about fifteen miniature bottles of liquor sitting out. “So this is what you do Nick? This is what you’ve been doing for a while now, isn’t it? Drink your problems away?”

“Shut up Lucky.” Nick said. “I don’t want to hear anymore about your … problems. You fucking sit there and tell me how awful Hunter is and then the SECOND he comes knocking at the door, you’re all over him like white on rice.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re just drunk and you’re making your own assumptions.” Lucky said as she started to clean up his mess.

“Let me ask you something Lucky. What’s he got that I don’t, huh? We look almost exactly alike, we both make obscene amounts of money. Is it the size of his penis Lucky? Because I’m sure I’ve got him topped in that department too.” Nick said and began unzipping his pants.

“No Nick! No! Stop that!” Lucky said and rushed over, taking his hands away from his pants. “What’s all that supposed to mean anyways?”

“Don’t you get it Lucky? Don’t you get it at all? He’s just using you to make himself look good. He knows that he can have you and I can’t and it’s great for him but it … it kills me. Every single day it kills me. Seeing you two laugh, and cuddle, and kiss, and joke. I hate him. Every single day I hate him.” Nick said.

Lucky stared at him with wide eyes and an open mouth. “Why do you look so confused Lucky? You had to have known how I feel.” Nick said. He reached out and grabbed her face with one hand. He pulled her to him and kissed her lips. “I love you Lucky. I love you so much! And I can’t even fucking tell you that because you’re with him! You’re with Hunter Kensington!”

“Nick, Hunter and I broke up. And that’s not the point. I’m still confused. You love me?” Lucky said, the kiss burned deep in her mind.

“I love you more than anything in the world. I would do anything for you. I would die … I would die for you Lucky. If I had to, I would die for you.” Nick said and started to fall asleep. “I love you Lucky.”

“No you don’t Nick. You can’t love me. You don’t love me. Do you?” She asked. When she looked over at him, she saw that he had fallen asleep.