- Text Size +
We were about to leave to go to meet with the designers, when Amethyst said, "Um, Tess. I know that you’ve probably put a lot of money into this whole, designer clothing thing, but don’t you think that if we want the girls to be just like us, that we should wear clothes that they would wear. I mean, instead of the clothes that would probably hurt their self – esteem even more."

"You know, Ames, that’s a really important suggestion. I think that we need to take a poll or a survey or something before we just go out and get all of these new clothes." I said, backing up my friend.

"I’m sorry girls, but right now, we really don’t have time for that. We’re meeting with Tommy Hilfiger in a matter of minutes. Then, we’re on to meet with John Mossimo." Jordan said.

"Are you serious?! I love John Mossimo! I buy his clothes from Target! If that’s not wearing what the average girls wears, than I don’t know what is." Bianca exclaimed. Well, I guess that Tommy Hilfiger and John Mossimo were the best designers to wear if we were going to be meeting with every day girls.

"So, Jordan, what are we doing tomorrow?" Savannah asked as she walked next to him.

"Well, I know that you might not like it, but we’re going to be meeting with the design teams of Hollister, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Aeropostale. I know, I know. You’re not gonna like it, but we’ve paid them lots of money already. Just think, if the girls really are trying to be just like you, then they’ll work hard to be just like you." Jordan said and ushered us into the limo.

After trying on at least 200 outfits each, it was time for us to go back to the loft and rest until the next day. Before getting into the limo, I stopped to talk to Frank. I asked him if he would mind dropping me off at the Tavern On The Green after dropping everyone else off. He smiled and nodded.

I got into the limo and saw that, thankfully, it was only the girls and I. "Where’s Jordan?" I asked.

"He’s staying to talk to Mossimo because there were some kinds of problems, I don’t know the reason, but he’s not coming." Savannah informed me, almost in a pouting way.

"Oh, someone’s got a crush on Jordan!" Bianca exclaimed.

"No, I do not have a crush on Jordan. I just think that he’s really hot. His attitude sucks, but he’s REALLY hot." She admitted.

"Well, you know what they say, if they’re really hot, than they’re either gay or taken!" Ames supplied. After that, we all cracked up and just enjoyed the ride home.

After a few minutes, Ames looked at me and said, "Hey Jade, can I ask what was up with that phone call you received?" The rest of the girls chimed in and said that they wanted to know too. "Why didn’t you tell me that your grandmother is sick?"

"Because she’s not. She’s alive and well, and perfectly happy. Besides, you know that my family moved back to North Carolina a few months ago." I said, adding the extra southern twang to my voice that I used to have when I lived in NC. "It was Nick. He wants to meet and talk. I don’t have any idea what he wants to talk about, so don’t even ask any questions." I turned away from them before they could see me turning bright red.

I heard lots of oohing and ahhing and giggling behind my back, but I did not want to bring attention to anything, so I stayed turned around. Just as Frank dropped off the girls and they left me with "encouraging" good-byes, my cell phone began to ring.

"Hey, Nick. I’m sorry that I’m running a little late. I’ll be there in a little less than 5 minutes; we’re right around the corner.

"Oh, ok. Just making sure that you hadn’t forgotten." His voice sounded over the phone. Still hot, still gorgeous.

"Nope, I didn’t forget, it’s a long story. I’ll be there as soon as I can." I said and we hung up.

Nick’s POV

As soon as her limo pulled up, the paparazzi were all over her. I yelled at Chuck to go and get her from them, but she stood at the end of the entrance and smiled for as many pictures as they wanted to take. They had questions and she answered them surprisingly professionally. Had she ever been trained? I’d have to ask her. After a few more minutes, Chuck went and got her and led her into the secluded room that she and I were going to share, so that the crazy people couldn’t see us.

She smiled brightly as she walked in and ran over to me and gave me a hug. "It’s so nice to see you again Nick. It’s going to be nice to talk to a guy that isn’t a complete asshole." She said and sat down. She was only in jeans and a t-shirt and she still looked beautiful.

"You did great with the paparazzi. How did you know to act like that?" I asked her.

"Well, I used to be in beauty pageants when I was younger, so I’ve been coached on how to answer questions, and I have a pretty good head on my shoulders so that helps too. Plus, they don’t really know me yet, so I have to take advantage of the easy press before they start chasing me in my car. Besides, I’ve learned that if you just give them the pictures they want, than they’ll leave you alone and won’t bother you." She explained and sat in the chair across from me.

"So, how was your day?" I asked her.

"Well, most of it was great, but there was one thing that I hated about it." She said and picked up her menu.

"What did you hate about it?" I asked her.

"My tour manager. We met him today and he’s a complete jerk. His name is Jordan Tylerton and he’s totally mean. I mean, he screamed at me for taking your phone call. I lied and told him that it was my mom regarding my sick grandmother." She said and laughed.

"I didn’t mean to get you in trouble. I’m sorry." She gave me a face that told me not to worry about it and I kept looking at her. She was so cute squinching her eyebrows together trying to figure out what to order.

"Are you sure you can pay for something like this?" She questioned from behind her menu.

"Yeah, just trust me, I’m sure." I said and tried to hide my face from her.

"So, it sounded like there was something really important that you wanted to talk about on the phone earlier. What’s up?" She asked and put her menu down.

"There’s something that I need to tell you. But you have to promise me that you won’t be mad." I said and looked at her in the eyes.

"I can’t promise anything. Especially when you start the conversation like that." She said.

"Ok, well, then you’re just going to have to listen and decide for yourself whether or not you’ll be mad at me. So here goes." I said and took a deep breath. "I’m not in a band called Fish Bones."

"I knew it! I knew that there was no such band with that name. So tell me, what are you? An investment banker? A travel agent? Come on, what do you really do?" She pressed.

"Well, I’m still in a band, but just not Fish Bones. You may have heard of us, we’re um, The Backstreet Boys." I said and looked at her.

Her mouth had dropped open and her fists went to the table. "You're in the fucking Backstreet Boys? What the hell! You’re joking me! I thought that all this time you were just making up the band thing to sound cooler and I could deal with that, but then you tell me that you’re in the fucking Backstreet Boys. That shit doesn’t fly with me Nick! Why would you lie to me like that? Honestly?" She screamed. A waiter came in an asked us to quiet down because we were disturbing the guests.

"I didn’t know what to say when you asked why I was in Spain. I mean, honestly, tell me that you would have talked to me like a regular person if you had known that I was in Backstreet." I tried to say calmly to her.

"Nick, you must really think I’m psycho. I just finished explaining to you that I know what it’s like being in the spotlight, so that would have been something we had in common. You know what? I told you that I couldn’t promise not getting mad, so I’m getting mad. I’m also leaving." She said and picked up her purse. She walked to the door of our room and stopped. She turned around and said, "Nick, it would be in your best interest if you didn’t contact me for a while. It’s going to take me a long time to learn to trust you again."

With that, she walked out and left me sitting alone at the table set for two.