- Text Size +
Chapter 14

Chapter 14

          She sat down at a table in the corner of the coffee shop after ordering a mocha latte with chocolate shavings. She pulled the folder marked “confidential” in big red letters out of her briefcase and set in on her lap. She sipped her drink carefully as she waited for her client to arrive, watching every man that walked through the door, trying to figure out if he was the infamous Trevor.

          At nine o’clock on the dot, a very attractive man walked through the doors, and she instantly knew that was him. He had that “I’m God’s gift to women” look about him, but she had to admit to herself that he was very good looking and appeared quite charming. That’s where the trouble is though she told herself as she watched him walk up to the counter and place his order. He gives off the air that women can trust him, when all he is is a snake is designer clothes.

          “Mr. Barrett?” she asked as he walked past her table, obviously searching for the person he was meeting.

          “Can I help you?” he asked as he stopped in front of the table. His voice started off cold and unpleasant, but as soon as he saw the beautiful face attached to the angelic voice, his entire demeanor changed. “How did you know my name beautiful?” He flashed a toothy grin at this mystery woman and sat down at the table uninvited.

          “Well, Mr. Barrett, I’m flattered, but let’s keep this as professional as possible. We have a nine o’clock meeting if I’m not mistaken, so let’s get down to business.” He looked at her suspiciously, trying to figure out how this woman knew he was meeting someone here.
         
          “Who are you?” He hissed as he leaned in closer to her in a form of intimidation. “How do you know my business?”

          She sighed, and then set her cup of coffee down the table. She leaned forward to meet him, and their foreheads were almost touching. This prick thinks he can scare me…her thoughts trailed off as she focused on the task at hand. “I understand that you expected a man to show up here today, but I am more than capable of doing the job you hired me for. If you would like to see the photographs I have with me, let me know, otherwise I think it’s time for me to leave.”

          Trevor leaned back in his chair, shocked that this beautiful woman before him was the sleuth he hired to get dirt on Nick and Caryss, and that she had just talked to him in that forceful manner. When he didn’t respond to her comments, she shook her head and started to place the folder back in her briefcase.

          “Wait,” he stammered, placing his hand on her arm tightly. “Why didn’t you sound like yourself on the phone last night?”

          “I block my number and use a voice scrambler until I am comfortable with my clients knowing my real identity. I do it to protect myself and my clients. So, do you want me to help you or do you want to find someone else?”

          If I didn’t know she was the best at this type of work and I didn’t need her, I would show her who calls the shot right here and now. Feisty little bitch thinks she can control me…I do the controlling, not the other way around. Maybe I’ll have to show her how once my plan is in action. He smiled at the woman sitting across from him then took a drink of his coffee.

          “Okay, I’ll play along. Show me what you got,” Trevor said with a clenched jaw. She placed the folder on the table and opened it, exposing several photographs of Nick and Caryss in all their glory on the beach. “I knew there was a reason I am going through all this trouble for her, she looks even better without clothes on.”

          She raised her eyebrows at him, trying to hide the disgust and filth she felt towards this man. She didn’t know what his plan was completely, but she knew it was something she should probably not have any part of. Too bad he’s paying me triple my normal rate for this, otherwise I might be tempted to just walk away. She swallowed hard, and then began explaining what her ideas were for obtaining more footage and material.

          “I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this stuff yet, but just keep getting me whatever you can. It will all come in handy I’m sure,” he said as she took the last gulp of his now cool coffee. He stood up and walked to the garbage can to throw it away, and when he returned to the table, she was gone. Her coffee cup was still on the table, and as he picked it up to throw it away, he saw she had written something on the side of it.

          “I will call you when I have more…T,” he read to himself. He huffed as he thought about her sneaky escape and then tossed the cup in the garbage. “She’s the best, that’s what everyone says, so just deal with it,” he told himself again as he walked out of the coffee shop and down the block to where his Aston Martin was parked. He slid into the driver’s seat and started the engine. “Well, T, you better be able to get me what I need, or you will be sorry you ever talked to me the way you did.”

          “Yeah, how sorry will I be you jackass?” she yelled as he peeled away from the curb and she came out of her hiding spot from behind a dumpster. “Stupid prick didn’t even I was spying on him, so how good does that make me?” She turned around and walked down the street the other way to where her car was parked, mumbling irate comments about him as she walked. Once she was in her car, she let out an exasperated scream and pounded the steering wheel with her hand.

          “Dammit Tammy, why do you keep doing this? You don’t need the money that badly so why do these dirty jobs? Someone always ends up getting hurt!” She continued yelling at herself for a few more minutes, then started rationalizing and telling herself things to feel better about what she was doing. “It’s just a job. The people that work for the IRS screw people everyday and they don’t let it get to them, so neither will I.” That was the last thing she told herself before putting her car in drive and pulling away from the curb. Her next stop, The Four Seasons, the hotel Caryss had a suite at.