- Text Size +
Chapter 23

Chapter 23

 

            Trevor walked up the front steps of the house he had sworn off six months ago.  He had cleaned up his act and with Laurie’s help, he had kicked his old habits and moved on to better things.  He had made a vow to himself that he would never use again, but he had also vowed to himself that he would have Caryss, and that was all shot to hell now so why shouldn’t his vow of abstinence from drugs be too? 

 

            He knocked on the door, and then shoved his hands into his pockets as he waited for someone to answer the door.  He heard the click of the deadbolt and the door opened quickly, bringing him face to face with the man who could ruin his life and make it better all at the same time.  The man did not say anything, just looked at Trevor waiting for him to speak. 

 

            “I need some stuff,” Trevor said casually, waiting for the man to let him in.  “Dae, man, let me in, I need some stuff.”  Dae peeked his head out of the door, looking around suspiciously, trying to find the reason Trevor had come back to him. 

 

            “You better not be fucking with me,” Dae warned.  He stepped aside and let Trevor pass, closing the door and locking it as soon as Trevor was inside.  Trevor plopped down on the same couch he always used to sit on, memories flooding back to him like it was yesterday. 

 

            “Hit me,” he said calmly, never taking his eyes off the coffee table in front of him or the pile of blow in the middle of it.  Dae held out his hand and Trevor reached into his pocket and pulled out a wad of bills.  He flipped through them and pulled out the required amount for a line and handed it to Dae, still never taking his eyes away from the coffee table.  Dae counted the money, nodded his head with satisfaction and proceeded to get a line ready for Trevor. 

 

            Five minutes and a line in each nostril later, Trevor slouched back onto the couch and let out a heavy sigh.  He let the drug envelope him, take him to a different world, a better world, where he felt good again.  He sat motionless on the couch for about an hour then erratically jumped up at started looking around the living room nervously. 

 

            “Do you have a fax machine here Dae?” he asked, his hands jittering and his mouth pursing and un-pursing involuntarily. 

 

            “Yeah, in the office,” responded Dae in amusement.  He always enjoyed watching people tweak out on coke, it was highly entertaining to him.  Trevor grabbed his briefcase and pulled out all the stuff he had for the gala and quickly made a nice, neat stack of it.  He ran into the office and punched the desired number into the fax machine, then fed the paper into it one page at a time. 

 

            “What was that about?” Dae asked with a smile on his face as Trevor came back into the living room and sank down onto the couch again. 

 

            “Just some work I had to get rid of; I can’t deal with it right now.”  He leaned his head back against the couch and took deep calming breaths, trying to slow his rapidly pounding heart.  After a few minutes, he looked over at Dae, and nodded his head toward the pile of cocaine on the coffee table.  “I’ll take some to go.”

 

            Once he left Dae’s house, he headed to his office.  He needed to find out what hospital Caryss was at, what her condition was and when she would be going back to her hotel and he knew just the person to get him that information.

 

            “I’m not helping you Trevor.  I’ve done what you hired me for and I’m done,” said Tammy forcefully.  “If you need to find out more information, find someone else to help you.”

 

            “Nice try, but it’s not going to work.  You will help me, unless you want everyone to know who you are.  I’m sure that your family and your fiancé would love to know what you really do for a living, wouldn’t they?”  He was toying with her, blackmailing her, but he had her and she knew it.  She didn’t have to say anything; he could tell by her silence that she would do what he wanted.  He gave her the necessary instructions and then paused to allow her to confirm.  The line was silent for almost a minute, and Trevor was growing impatient.  “Well?” he asked, sarcasm filling his voice. 

 

            “I’ll call you when I know something,” Tammy said quietly, then slammed her phone back into its cradle, self-loathing rising like flood waters in her body. 

 

            “Of course you will,” he said out loud as he flipped his phone shut and set it down on his desk.  He leaned back in his chair and before he knew it, he was sound asleep.  He remained that way until the ringing of his cell phone awakened him forty minutes later. 

 

 

            “Thank you Tammy, you always make my day,” sneered Trevor as he ran out of his office and into his car.  He drove well over the speed limit as he made his way to The Four Seasons where the first phase of his new plan would be put into action. 

 

            This isn’t how I wanted things to be, but too much has happened and she knows too much for me to just leave her alone.  They all know too much now, but I’ll deal with them later, he thought as he pulled into a parking spot at the hotel and got out of his car.  He walked into the hotel confidently, giving the impression that he was supposed to be there.  He walked up to the front desk and smiled at the young woman behind the counter. 

 

“May I help you?” the lady asked in a cheerful voice.  Trevor glanced at her nametag, then brought his eyes back up to hers and smiled even wider. 

 

“Yes, there is actually.  Victoria, is it?”  She nodded her head, and he leaned onto the counter to increase the flirtatiousness he was attempting to fool her with.  “Wow, that’s a beautiful name.”  She blushed and tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear nervously. 

 

            “Thank you sir, but what can I do for you?” she asked, trying to keep her tone as professional as possible. 

 

            “Actually Victoria, I seem to have lost my room key and am hoping you will be able to give me another one; it’s room 1535,” he said as he winked his eye at her and reached his hand across the counter and ran it down her face.  She blushed again, and turned her face away, not sure how to react to this man who was so obviously flirting with her.  She was so flustered she couldn’t think straight, all she knew was that if her manager came out of his office and saw what she was doing with this guest, she would be fired for sure.  She quickly swiped a new room key for 1535 and handed it to Trevor. 

 

            “There you are sir, and if there’s anything else you need, please let me know.”  He nodded his head at her and hastily walked away from the desk.  As he rode the elevator up to the 15th floor, he ran his plan over in head again, fine tuning any parts of it that he was unhappy with.  By the time he was in the hallway outside Caryss’s room, he had convinced himself his plan was foolproof. 

 

            Now, I just wait, he thought as he shut the door behind him and walked around the suite.  He found his hiding space and made himself as comfortable as possible.  He knew he wouldn’t be there for long because Caryss was already on her way back to the hotel from the hospital and it was only a matter of time before she would be alone in this room.  I know she’s seen the pictures, and I know she is too smart to let the real picture get past her.  She’ll be here alone, that much I’m certain of.  A smug smile spread across his lips as he heard the click of the door as someone entered the suite.