- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next update...things are moving along according to plan...but I wonder...will it really be that easy??? Enjoy!
One month later…

“How long do you think this will take?” Roslyn asked Nick, breaking the anxiety-driven silence that had filled the car since they left their newly purchased four bedroom home in a gated community just outside Los Angeles.

When the newlyweds had returned from Las Vegas, and after breaking the news to their friends and family that they had eloped they went house hunting, finding what they considered to be the perfect love nest only three days later.

It was a family friendly home, all one level, and in addition to the four large bedrooms it had three bathrooms, a game room, a spacious eat-in kitchen with a formal dining room off it, a great room with floor to ceiling windows and a small movie room with theatre seating and a gigantic screen.

The back yard was large and lush, with plenty of room for swing sets and volleyball nets and whatever else kids and adults would enjoy using. There was a pool, which in California was nothing out of the ordinary, almost every house had one, but what made this pool special was it also had a kiddy pool connected to it next to the shallow end of the big pool. It was a foot and a half deep with fountains and water spraying palm trees and water toys that even toddlers could play on.

The minute Roslyn had laid on eyes on that back yard images of her children playing and splashing and running and laughing filled her head and she knew this was the house she wanted. Nick had agreed instantaneously and they closed on the house twelve hours later, and began moving in the very day.

To most people, the pace at which Ros and Nick were going about their lives would seem rushed and presumptuous, but to them, it was all they could ask for. Roslyn loved Nick’s spontaneity and Nick loved having the financial means to be ultra spontaneous, but more importantly, it meant they didn’t have to wait around to do what they wanted like some people would have to, and it meant they could live life fully at every moment, the need to do so never leaving the back of their minds.

“I’m not sure babe, but does it really matter?” he responded, taking his eyes off the road for a second to look at her.

They were on their way to Cedars Sinai Medical Center for an appointment with Dr. Navarro, the head of fertility and reproduction at the world-renowned facility. Today they were taking the first step into the world of surrogate pregnancy, Dr. Navarro was going to extract and freeze dozens of Roslyn’s eggs that would later be fertilized and implanted in another woman’s uterus, and both Roslyn and Nick had a range of emotions and numerous thoughts running through their heads, making conversation difficult to execute, unless it was about the aforementioned appointment.

“Not really. I would lay on that table for days if it meant us having a baby together, it’s just that Kaci wanted to know what time we’d be done. She said something about doing dinner tonight.”

“Sweetie, it’s only 9:08 in the morning; I’m sure we’ll be done by dinner time.” He reached out his hand and put in on her thigh, squeezing gently in reassurance. He was as nervous as she was, but it was a positive nervous; it meant that great things were soon to come.

One minute later he turned the wheel to the right, slowly pulling into the patient parking lot and finding a spot to park. He and Roslyn hopped out and walked hand in hand into the building, following the signs and arrows that directed them where to go.

As they approached the registration desk and checked in Nick’s cell phone rang, causing the nurse at the desk to cast a scolding look at him and then point to the sign on the wall that said the use of cell phones was not permitted inside the hospital.

“Sorry,” he said sheepishly as he turned his phone off and slid it back in his pocket. Roslyn giggled a little as she and Nick took two seats in the waiting area. “What are you laughing at?”

“No matter where we go, you always find some way to get in trouble,” she responded, more laughter erupting from her. Before Nick could respond Roslyn’s name was called, and they were escorted through the door towards the procedure room. An hour and a half later it was done and Nick and Roslyn walked out of the hospital with the satisfaction of knowing her eggs were being prepared for storage at that very moment until they found the perfect woman to carry their baby.

“You should probably turn your phone back on and check your messages; maybe The Surrogacy Center called,” Roslyn mentioned as they made their way towards the car. They were expecting a return call from The Surrogacy Center, a service that matches women qualified to be surrogates with hopeful parents. Nick insisted on using only the best place, a place that frequently had well-known celebrities as clients. They needed a surrogate they could trust, someone that would understand the importance of their situation and not blink an eyelash at the fact that Nick Carter’s baby was inside her.

Nick listened to his messages, his eyes lighting up as he listened to the last one. “They did call, they found a good candidate and they want us to meet her for lunch.”

“Well call them back and tell them yes!” Roslyn shrieked, shaking her head back and forth from excitement. She never thought it would happen this quickly. The reality that she could be holding her newborn baby in her arms within the year brought tears to her eyes. She no longer had to worry about her dreams coming true, they were about to, and she couldn’t wait.

Five minutes later Nick ended the call, explaining to Roslyn that they were going to meet Ms. Lei, the director of The Surrogacy Center, and the woman that would bring their child into the world at The Ivy at 1:00.

“Oh my God Nick it’s really going to happen! We’re going to have a baby!” Roslyn couldn’t contain her excitement and Nick was right along with her.

“Let’s go shopping,” he suggested with a beaming smile as he pulled out of the parking lot. Twenty minutes later they pulled up outside Petit Tresor, a trendy clothing store for babies that is frequented by many of Hollywood’s elite parents and expecting parents. They spent the rest of the morning shopping, both in seventh heaven, knowing they would soon have a baby to go with their purchases.