- Text Size +

* Chapter 12 *

"I’ll go first," I said leaning against a sink watching Court as she looked in the mirror and fixed her hair. "Well, I think that Nick enjoys having you around. He told me that he thinks you are a lot of fun."

She looked at me in the mirror and smiled. "Did he really say that?" she asked excitedly.

"Yeah, he did," I smiled back. "I think he really likes you."

"Cool!" she said with a smile. "And you know what?"

"What?" I asked turning to look in the mirror.

"I asked AJ what he thinks about you," she said slyly.

"And?"

"And what?" she teased. "He said that he has never met anyone like you before. He likes your personality, your sense of style...he said that he loves your smile! He loves your long hair too," she added, turning to see me running my hands through my hair like I do whenever I’m nervous.

I was speechless. Hearing about AJ’s feelings only made me more nervous to go back out and face him again.

"Anyway, let’s get back to the table before they send a search party in after us," Court said with a little laugh.

"Ok. After you," I said as I pulled the door open for her.

"Thanks," she replied as I followed behind her.

When we arrived at the table, we sat down and listened intently to what AJ and Nick were talking about.

"Anyway, I guess Aaron is going to be touring with this Nickelodeon tour or something like that," Nick explained to AJ.

"Speaking of Aaron," I started. "That kid is so adorable!" I said with a little smile.

"Yeah," Court chimed in. "Our niece had a huge crush on you," she said looking at Nick. "That is until she saw little AC."

"Sorry Nick...guess you don’t have what it takes anymore," I said sarcastically with a smile, trying not to laugh.

"Aw. Poor Nick," AJ joined in the teasing. "It’s ok," he said in a voice that sounded like a mother talking to a baby.

"Ok, ok," Nick said in return. "So it runs in the family," he finished with a sly smile as we all laughed at his comment.

"Whatever you say," was AJ’s response.

"Maybe I’ll just have to give her a call and make her change her mind," Nick said in defense.

"You can try, but I don’t think it will work," I replied. "She’s only 8 and she’s super shy."

"Well," he said not knowing what else to say. "Well...umm...ok...anyway..." he trailed off, not wanting to make a fool of himself.

"Yeah, anyway," I said trying to change the subject. "I’m going to go dance some more if anyone wants to come," I said as I got up and started walking off.

I didn’t notice anyone following me, so I made my way to the dance floor and worked my way towards the middle of the crowd. The band was taking a break from playing, so ‘Rockafellar Skank’ was playing loudly over the speakers and the whole dance floor was moving to the groove. I was hoping that Court would come down with me to dance, but I didn’t want to force her. My eyes diverted from the people dancing around me to the balcony. I could see AJ looking down so I waved to him. He smiled and waved back. Just as I saw him turn to sit back down, someone bumped into me from the backside and nearly knocked me over.

"What was that..." I started to say as I turned around and saw Kev standing there in front of me. "For?" I finished my sentence and stood there as surprised as he was.

"I’m so sorry," he said in a worried tone. "These wacko people over here were getting a little out of hand."

"No, no...It’s ok," I said with a half smile. "Really."

"Well, if you say so," he replied. "So, where are the others?" he asked curiously.

"Oh, they’re up there," I said pointing to the balcony.

"Oh," was his reply.

"I’m going to go now," I said as we were about to be squished by the people on the dance floor.

"No," he called out before I got far. "Don’t go," he said grabbing my arm.

"I need something to drink. Care to join me?" I asked still trying to get away from the dance crowd.

"Sure," he replied. "That would be nice."

I walked over to the dry bar with Kev following shortly behind me. I sat down on one of the circle barstools and turned towards the bar, noticing a girl sitting beside me on one side and Kev on the other. The girl didn’t look any older than about 18. When I looked over at her, she looked back at me with a smile. She had shoulder length brown hair pulled back into two sparkly clips with hazel eyes that had a lot of kindness in them.

"Hi," she said. "My name is Megan," she said sticking out her hand for me to shake.

"Hi Megan," I replied shaking her hand. "I’m Liz."

"You can call me Meg if you like," she said with a smile.

"Ok. Anyway, Meg, this is my friend Kevin," I said pointing over my shoulder to Kev.

He didn’t seem to notice that we were talking about him because he was busy ordering water for us.

"Wow. Not bad!" she said. "How did you meet him?"

"Well, it’s a long story really," I replied with a small sigh. "It’s really nice to meet you. I’m not from around here," I said shyly.

"Really?" she asked in a disbelieving voice. "That’s so weird. I’m not from around here either!"

"Wow. That is weird," I replied. "So, where are you from? I live in Utah."

"That’s cool," she said. "I’m from Philly."

The bartender handed Kev and I our drinks. Meg and I talked for a few minutes until I felt someone tap on my shoulder. I turned to see what the person wanted.

"I’m going to go back and see what my friends are up to," Kev said. "I guess I’ll see you tomorrow. The water’s on me."

"Hey Kev," I said before he got up to go. "Thanks," I said giving him half hug before I watched him walk away.

"He seems really nice," Meg said before taking another sip of her coke.

"Yeah, he is," I replied. "So, what are you in Florida for?"

"Actually, I’m here with a very good friend of mine to record a CD for an independent record label...and for vacation," she said happily. "Can’t wait to get some sun."

"Really?" I asked surprised. "That’s so cool! I wish I could sing for a career."

"I heard you up there...you could make it in the business," she said.

"Thanks," was all I could say. "So, are you up to sharing your talent with us?" I asked with a mischievous grin.

"Sure."

"Just go up there and talk to the piano player when they get back up there," I told her. "I’ll be listening."

"Ok. Anyway, I have been looking for someone to sing back-ups for me on my album," she said hinting something. "Would you like to?"

"Oh my gosh!" I exclaimed. "You are asking me to sing with you!?! I’d love to!"

"Ok. Here’s my number," she said handing me a napkin with a number on it. "In case I don’t see you the rest of the night."

"This is so cool!" I said.

"We’ll be starting the day after next," she explained. "Call me and I’ll give you all the details," she said.

"Listen, I better get back to my group," I said. "But I’ll call you tomorrow!"

"Ok!" I heard her say before I turned and made my way to the stairs.

I was in a complete daze as I sat down at the table, staring off into space.

"I can’t believe what just happened!" I said quietly, still in a daze staring at the flame of a candle that sat in the middle of the table.

"What happened?" Nick wanted to know.

I didn’t hear what he just asked. I was too busy trying to digest the conversation that I just had with Meg. Still staring at the candle, I set the napkin on the table with one hand and reached for my purse with the other.

"Hello?" Court said. "What happened?"

"Huh?" I said as I snapped out of my daze, looking her in the face.

"I said, what happened?" she repeated.

"Oh...just a minute," I said rubbing my hands together, still thinking about what Meg said about her CD.

Right when I was about to tell them what happened, I heard a familiar voice come over the loud speakers. I stood up and walked over to the balcony and saw that it was Meg. ‘Good. She’s singing a song’ I thought.

"How’s everyone doing tonight?" Meg asked into the mic, looking up towards the balcony. "This song is for a very special woman. You know who you are, so this one’s for you," she said pointing at me.

I stood and listened to her sing for a few minutes before I noticed that AJ, Court and Nick were standing by my side listening also.

"Do you know her?" AJ asked confused.

"Sort of," I said after listening to Meg sing another verse. "I’ll explain when she’s done."

"She’s got a nice voice," Nick said softly as we all listened to her finish the song.

After we sat down, I began explaining how I met Meg, beginning with someone (not mentioning who) bumping into me on the dance floor and ending up with me being invited to sing on her album.

"So, that is what this number is for," I said holding up the napkin. "She said that they start the day after tomorrow. I’m so excited!"

"That’s great!" Court said, excited for me.

"Eewww! I love swing music!" I exclaimed as the air filled with swing music from the speakers. "Anyone want to dance?"

"I don’t know much swing," Nick said like he was a little embarrassed.

"That’s ok," I replied. "I’ll show you some steps," I said as we stood up and made our way back to the dance floor.

There were only a few people in the crowd on the dance floor that actually knew how to swing dance, so I decided to make a suggestion to the bartender.

"Hang on a minute. K?" I asked, leaving him by himself.

"I have a great idea," I said to the bartender. "Why don’t we get someone up on the stage and teach everyone some swing moves?"

"That’s a good idea," he said like he was thinking about it. "I know just the person," I heard him say as I walked back to where I had left Nick.

I looked around, but didn’t see him anywhere. ‘Where could he have gone?’ I asked my self mentally.

"I’m right here," I heard someone say as they tapped me on the shoulder.

"Oh, hi," I said turning around. "I thought you went back up there," I said pointing to the balcony.

"I’d never do that to you," he said apologetically.

"Thanks," I replied as I grabbed his hand and moved closer to the stage where the dance instructions were starting.

I managed to help Nick learn a few swing steps and I had a great time dancing with him, but I was missing dancing with AJ already. I looked around quickly, but didn’t see AJ or Court anywhere on the dance floor. In between songs and learning new dance steps, I glanced up at the balcony and saw both Court and AJ watching everyone have so much fun. I noticed Court looking my way, so I waved for her to come join us. She saw me and grabbed AJ’s hand and drug him down to the dance floor with her. Before Court knew what was going on, I stole AJ away from her and left her there with Nick.

"Now that he knows a few moves," I said to her. "You can dance with him now."

"Gee, thanks," was her response.

"You’re welcome," I said with a smile as AJ started getting into the music.

We danced a few dances, then AJ and I decided to make our way back to the balcony to scope out a pool table, leaving Nick and Court dancing on the dance floor.