- Text Size +

* Chapter 21 *

"Shot gun," Kev hollered as we walked into the parking lot where AJ’s Expedition was parked.

"You can’t call shot gun until the car is visible," I explained to him.

"It is visible," he said with a chuckle. "I can see it just fine over these cars."

"Are you mocking my height?" I asked sarcastically.

"Not at all," he answered.

"Good cause otherwise I’d have to hurt you," I said.

"Oh I’d like to see that one," Brian joined in the teasing conversation as we walked up to AJ’s truck.

"I still get shot gun," Kev said with a sly smile as he opened the front passenger door.

"Fine," I said as Bri opened the back passenger door.

I noticed that Nick was rather quiet, so I grabbed his arm and headed for the door that Bri had just opened.

"Nick and I will sit in the back," I said as I lightly pushed Nick towards the open door and watched him pull the seat forward before climbing in.

After he climbed in the back seat, I went to get in next. Bri held out his hand to help me in as I made my way in the door.

"Thanks," I said to Bri as I sat down next to Nick and pulled the seat back so he could get in.

After everyone was in and buckled up, AJ started the truck and we were on our way to drop everyone off.

"I’m sorry for getting you upset about the whole ‘blondie’ thing," I leaned over and whispered to Nick. "I didn’t think it would bother you that much."

"It didn’t," he said as he turned to meet his gaze with mine. "I just have a lot of things on my mind."

"Oh," I said before I turned to look at the rear view mirror.

Every once in a while I saw AJ looking back at us as he drove down the road. I was rather tired so I leaned my head on the window to my right for a few seconds and closed my eyes. It was really killing my neck so I decided to sit up and lean on Nick instead. He didn’t seem to mind as I set my head on his shoulder and again closed my eyes. After a few minutes of driving, I fell into a light sleep as we dropped Brian and Kevin off.

"Liz," I could hear someone calling my name.

I thought I was dreaming so I readjusted my head on Nick’s shoulder to a more comfortable position.

"Liz," I heard it again as someone began shaking my right shoulder lightly.

"Hmmmm," I said still half asleep while keeping my eyes closed.

"You have to get up so I can go," Nick said quietly as I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes a little with my hands.

"Sorry," I said as AJ opened the door and slid the seat forward so we could get out. "I must have dozed off."

"It’s ok," Nick replied as I climbed out and stood on the driveway while he got out.

AJ walked around to the driver side of the truck and got in as Nick gave me a quick hug, a kiss on the cheek, and then headed towards the front door. I hopped back in the front seat as AJ turned the radio on. Once I was ready with my seatbelt on, we took off down the road once again.

"Don’t change it," I said when I saw AJ’s hand moving towards the tuning dial when Britney Spears’ ‘From the Bottom of My Broken Heart’ came on the radio.

"Ok," he said as he placed his hand back on the wheel and turned his concentration back to driving.

It was only about a twenty minute drive to Meg’s apartment so it didn’t take us all that long to get there. When we pulled up to the building, I noticed that Meg’s car wasn’t there yet, so I figured she was still out with Howie.

"Wanna come up for a few minutes?" I asked before opening the door to get out. "Meg’s not home yet and I hate being by myself."

"Sure," he answered while he turned the truck off. "For a few minutes."

"Ok," I said as I walked around to where he was now standing after he shut his door too.

We walked up to the front door in silence. I tried the door and found it to be locked, so I bent over and picked up one of the flowerpots filled with flowers that Meg had outside her door. I pulled the spare key from the tape on the bottom of the pot and unlocked the door before replacing the key and putting the pot back into position.

"I am so thirsty," I said as we walked in the door.

I took off the sweater shirt that I was wearing to reveal a plain white baby tee with black trim that I had on underneath. It went well with the black flowing skirt that fell right above the knees that I was wearing.

"Is it just me or is it hot in here?" I asked as I walked over to the thermostat and adjusted the temperature slightly.

"It’s a little warm," AJ said as he took off his leather suit-type jacket and laid it over the back of the couch.

"I’m going to get some water," I said as I headed for the kitchen. "Want anything?" I asked as I opened the cupboard door where the cups were.

"Um, sure," he replied as he walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table while I got two cups out of the cupboard and headed towards the fridge.

"Ok. Water...kool-aid...coke...orange juice...milk...Mt Dew," I said as I inspected what drinks were in the fridge. "Those are your choices."

"Even though the others are tempting, I’ll have some orange juice," he said as I took out the container of OJ and set it, along with his cup, on the table before filling my glass at the tap.

"Normally I would be drinking Mt Dew, but it’s too late at night," I explained as I took a seat at the table before taking a sip of my water. "I can’t really afford to be up all night," I said with a smile.

"You two going to the studio again in the morning?" he asked as I set my half-filled glass on the table.

"Yeah," I answered. "I really loved working on this whole project with Meg. I wouldn’t mind doing it again sometime."

"I love recording," he said before he finished off his glass and poured another.

"You guys are so lucky to be doing it for a living," I said before we both lifted our glasses and took a drink at the same time. "And I’m lucky enough to be playing it for mine."

"You work at radio station?" he asked like he was surprised.

"Yeah. Didn’t I tell you?"

"No," was his answer as he put down his empty glass.

"Oh. I thought I did," I said as I stood up. "You done?" I asked as I pointed to his glass.

"Yeah. Thanks," he said as I grabbed his glass along with mine and turned to put them in the sink.

I swiftly went over to the sink and turned my back to AJ as I set the glasses in the right side of the sink. ‘I wonder why Meg always has to have the dirty dishes put in the right side’ I thought to myself while I turned to walk back to the table. I was still lost in my thoughts.

"Umph," I said as I walked into AJ. "Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry. I didn’t see you standing behind me," I said looking at his face as he brushed back a piece of hair that had fallen into my face.

"It’s ok," he replied as one of his hands traced my jaw line before stopping to hold my chin in his hand.

He slowly leaned closer and closer to me. I closed my eyes in anticipation as his lips met mine. Butterflies seemed to arise in my stomach as the kiss progressed. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and started running my fingers through the hair on the bottom part of his neck. I was almost absolutely sure that I wasn’t as experienced at kissing as he was, so I just let him lead the way. After about a minute, we finally broke apart.

"Wow!" AJ exclaimed as he backed up a step.

I kept my eyes closed for a few seconds, still savoring the memory while it was fresh in my mind.

"That was well...wow!" he said again as I opened my eyes to see his silly smile.

"Ya like?" I asked sarcastically.

"What kind of question is that?" he asked me as if I was crazy.

"Just wonderin," I answered.

"Oh," he said as he looked at his watch. "Dang!" he said before turning and making his way to the door.

"What?"

"I’d love to stay and continue, but I’ve got to go...it’s really late and we have an early meeting in the morning," he said as he hurried out the door.

I saw the door shut behind him as I slowly walked to the kitchen doorway.

"Oh crap...he left his jacket," I said out loud as I grabbed it and headed for the door.

I swung the door open and walked out a few steps in time to see him opening the door of his truck.

"AJ!" I hollered before he got in.

He turned quickly to see what I had called his name for.

"You left your jacket," I called out to him.

"Keep it," he replied before getting in his truck and shutting the door.

I stood there and watched him drive away until he was out of sight before going back inside. I plopped down on the couch and sat there for a good 10 minutes just thinking about all that had happened that night. After deciding to just sleep in my clothes, I laid down on the couch, pulled a blanket up over my feet and stomach, and draped AJ’s jacket over my arms before leaning my head back. I stared at the ceiling for a few minutes before closing my eyes so I could at least try and get some sleep. ‘I love the smell of his cologne’ I thought to myself as I took a deep breath of the aroma coming from his...I mean...my jacket. My thoughts were soon interrupted by the sound of the door handle turning and the door being opened and then closed again. I knew it was Meg, but what I didn’t know was that someone was with her. I couldn’t really make out what they were saying as they stood in front of the door. They continued talking for a few seconds until it suddenly went silent. I got curious, so I leaned up on my elbows and turned my head to see Meg making out with...Howie?!?

"Share a little spit!" I said out loud to let them know that I was in the room. "Geez! Get a room!" I said sarcastically with a laugh.

I watched them instantly break apart as soon as they heard my comment. Howie just stood there and pretended like nothing happened while Meg started giggling quietly before she turned back to face Howie.

"Goodnight," Meg said sweetly as he opened the door.

They both walked out and shut the door. It was another few minutes before Meg came in again and headed for her room.

"Night!" I called after her.

"Ditto," she said before shutting her bedroom door.

It didn’t take long to get settled back down, so I soon fell into a comfortable dream-filled sleep in no time.