- Text Size +
Chapter Six

Chapter Six: The Chemicals Between Us

Nick moved to turn off the alarm for the second time not wanting Alyssa to leave his arms just yet. He felt her begin to wake up and kissed her shoulder. She turned to look at him and said, “I definitely could get used to this.”

“What?” He asked.

“Waking up with you.” She replied sighing turning to the clock her eyes getting wide. “Shit I have to get up to get ready for school.” She exclaimed.

“Take a day off.” He said in response.

“I’m going to take a shower...”She said as she rolled her eyes at him grabbing the sheet pulling it around her and walking briskly into the bathroom. Nick tried to get up to follow her but was stopped by her finishing with, “Alone.”

He laid back closing his eyes imagining her in the shower mentally yelling at himself a minute later when she turned the shower off getting out walking into her bedroom past him and into her closet. He got up and threw on his boxers walking into her closet seeing her in her underwear pulling on a bra. “Did I do something wrong?” He asked.

She looked at him like he’d gone insane, “God no. I just knew that if you were to come in the shower with me I’d be late to class is all.” She explained smiling weakly at him.

Nick pulled her body to him and sighed feeling her still damp skin against him. “I don’t think I can get enough of you.” He revealed.

Alyssa looked at him seeing a mixture of love and lust in his eyes, “I don’t think I can get enough of you either.” She admitted looking in his eyes. All he wanted to do was kiss her but she pulled out of his embrace quickly throwing on her low-rise jeans, a black polo shirt and black flip-flops letting her hair down walking into the bathroom to straighten it.

She walked out about ten minutes later seeing him cleaning up their mess taking both their bed sheets to wash from the weekend’s activities. She smiled a little and went down to the laundry room smiling at the view she got of Nick in just his black Calvin Klein boxers obviously turned on, doing laundry. She chuckled at how domesticated and partly naughty the whole scene was. Alyssa walked up behind him sliding her arms around his waist hugging him from behind. One hand moved to tug at his piercings the other slid under his boxers gripping him in her hand. Nick groaned at her touch, “You’re going to be late.”

Alyssa leaned up whispering in his ear, “Do you want me to stop?” She said moving her hand a little faster.

“Hell no.” He semi growled at her as she smirked at him then looked to the clock on the side of the wall.

“Shit, I have to go we’ll finish this later.” She replied taking her hand away grabbing her books and walking out to the garage.

He stood there in absolute amazement not quite believing what had just happened. When he regained his composure he walked up the stairs to take a shower.

Alyssa laughed when she reached her new car seeing her keys on top of the roof with a note:

Ali,

I thought you might need these.

~ Alex

She smiled as she got in the car putting the note in her bag before driving off to school.

*************************************

Alyssa Narrating:

My life has officially gone nuts. First of all there's Nick but I’ll explain that later. Then there’s my thesis defense tomorrow, the day before Nick leaves to go on tour over in Asia. But then there’s my career that is going to start after I graduate.

I’ve gotten about a million job offers from high schools and universities wanting me to come and teach for them.

Great isn’t it?

True its great but there is only one job offer that I’m actually considering. UCLA, which is where I go, has offered me a full-time associate professorship teaching undergraduate English literature/Literature History.

Here’s the kicker, the class I would be teaching is an online only class. That of course means that I could go with Nick when he starts touring next year as he had hoped I would be able to without sacrificing a career and being able to have my own money.

Speaking of Nick; have I completely lost my mind? Quite possibly.... I cannot believe what has gotten in to me the last what three days? God I’m crazy. I have pulled a complete 180 on myself. Even Nick is shocked by my behavior and well its his fault. He brought this out of me. My wild side reared it’s head I guess.

And the result…

I have never been more confused in my entire life. I’m confused because of him. God he makes me feel…well he just makes me feel and I’m going out of my mind because of that.

Why you ask? Well lets see… I’ve known him for so long and it’s always been cut and dry with us, what our relationship is. But now I have no clue what we are, friends, friends with benefits, lovers? The last one is the most perplexing…and the most tempting.

Then what he said, he said that he loves me and my heart just stopped when he said it. I was beyond shocked but looking back on all of his actions it makes sense.

Which means…my god…all those late night talks, going to clubs, dancing together, or out to dinner, the way he hugs me, or looks at me, means a lot more to him than I had originally thought.

It also explains his apprehension for going through with the pact, he wanted to that’s clear but he went on and on about how we were going to be different and I guess we are now. Maybe I should let him have a shot, let my heart take control, he’s not hard to love and I did love him like that once.

But could I honestly tell him that I love him? At this point no. But then I think of the chemistry we have, not just because of our friendship, I’m talking physical chemistry. Friends who end up having sex don’t normally have sex that intense or that insanely good. Granted I am attracted to him, always have been, who wouldn’t he’s hot.

However, the things he makes me feel are insane and so amazing at the same time. As Lori puts it, he makes me hot, temperature wise and well everything else associated with that.

What am I going to do?

How should I act around him now that we’ve literally scarred every surface, room and wall of that house? Just brush it off and be normal as always, jump him every time we’re alone? Which I wouldn’t mind one bit and neither would he. Now I’ve got a little over two weeks to decide where I want this to go, do I want to be his girlfriend, or his booty call?

Decisions, decisions….

End Narration.

****************************************

Alyssa got out of her car locking it heading towards the lecture hall seeing Kellie sitting on the park bench talking on her cell phone. “Thank God I thought that you were never going to get here!” Kellie exclaimed hanging up her phone as she stood pulling Alyssa into a hug. Kellie looked at her a moment inspecting her, “So how was it?” Kellie asked getting a shocked look from Alyssa. “Your weekend I mean, we’ll get to your bedroom activities later.” Kellie replied giggling as they walked into the hall taking their usual seats.

“My weekend was a cross between amazing, shocking, and it was unbelievable seriously I had to pinch myself to make me realize that it was real.” Alyssa explained.

Kellie laughed at her response, “You’re kidding right? Carter gave you a weekend like that?”

“Contrary to what you think he’s amazing.”

“Well I never slept with him.”

“True.” Alyssa answered as they turned their attention to the professor.

Later that day…

Kellie and Alyssa laughed as they walked up to the front entrance of The Ivy. The hostess greeted them, “Hello and welcome to the Ivy, do you two have a reservation?”

Alyssa smiled and answered, “Yes were with Grdina party of four.”

“Grdina?” Kellie asked.

“It’s Jenna’s married name, Jay and Jenna Grdina remember?” Alyssa explained.

“Oh yeah sorry blonde moment.” Kellie answered.

“Yes right this way the other half of your party is waiting out on the deck.” The hostess replied taking two menus and walking them outside.

Jenna looked up from her menu just in time to see Kellie and Alyssa walk towards them, “Girls!” She exclaimed as she stood pulling each one into a hug. Lori glanced up from her menu looking at Alyssa and smiled going back to reading what the specials were. Jenna looked at Alyssa studying her a moment as they all sat down and then gasped.

“What?” Alyssa asked.

Jenna got a big cheesy grin on her face, “You had sex didn’t you?” She asked bluntly causing Lori to laugh and Kellie to choke on her water.

Alyssa got a shocked expression on her face and leaned in, “How in the hell can you tell that?” She asked.

“So it’s true?” Jenna asked as Alyssa rolled her eyes grinning and nodded ‘yes’. “Hon, I’m a porn star I have sex for a living. I think I can tell when one of my best friends isn’t a virgin anymore.”

Alyssa blushed and began grinning like an idiot. Lori looked at her and laughed lightly, “Was Nick really that good or are you just trying to make us jealous?” She asked sarcastically.

Jenna’s mouth dropped open, “Wait a second you and Nick? I should have figured, since you two are already attached at the hip, you guys had to make that literally too.” Alyssa laughed at the comment.

“So how was it, I want details, good descriptive details.” Lori commanded as the waiter came over to take their orders.

Alyssa ordered her favorite seafood salad and waited for the waiter to leave before she spoke. “You guys want details right?” Alyssa asked.

“Hell yeah.” Jenna stated.

“Alright we came home Friday night after the party and we started kissing and we went up to his room, which is bigger than mine, and he untied my outfit and I went into the bathroom pulled on one of his shirts with nothing underneath and came out nervous as all hell because as you all know I had never done anything besides making out with a guy.”

“Wait a second….back it up what brought you guys to the conclusion to sleep with each other in the first place?” Jenna asked.

Alyssa smiled, “When I was 16, Nick and I made a pact that said if we were both single and if I were still a virgin by my 21st birthday that he’d be my first. Only Kellie, Lori, and Amanda knew besides Nick and I.”

“Ok continue with your story now.” Jenna added quickly shutting up.

“Anyways, I’m guessing he was nervous too because I felt it in his kiss that he was afraid of hurting me or something, but we continued to kiss and got him undressed and when he went to take my underwear off he was shocked that he didn’t find any.”

“How was the sex? How bad did it hurt?” Lori asked smirking.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and replied, “Hurt like a bitch for a minute, he made sure it didn’t hurt for long though. And after the initial pain went away it was perfect, insanely perfect.”

“Perfect?” Jenna asked.

“I know, I know but seriously everything was perfect, he was perfect, just God we should have done it a long time ago.” Alyssa stated blushing. “The entire weekend was equally insane.”

“Like how insane are we talking here?” Kellie questioned.

“Basically we managed to scar every room, surface, wall, and floor of that house within the span of two days. I honestly could not keep my hands off of him.”

“Damn I’m jealous.” Jenna remarked then busted out laughing, “Hey you can tell him that he had sex that made a porn star jealous!” She exclaimed laughing her head off. Lori, Kellie and Alyssa soon followed suit.

“Well here’s the kicker girls…” Alyssa paused seeing them all immediately regained their composure and looked at her. “After the first time, he said and I quote ‘I love you Ali’” Alyssa stated as the three women in front of her all got shocked looks on their faces.

“He didn’t?” Lori asked.

“He did, and he wants us to be together.” Alyssa added.

“Like how together are we talking here?”

Alyssa sighed, “He wants me to be his girlfriend, I have until he gets back from Asia to decide.”

“Wait a minute you’re actually going to over-analyze this?”

“Yeah Ali, it’s Nick. You two have been making googly eyes at each other for years, why not go for it?”

“Because I just finally got over him, and now he wants more than friendship and the weekend we had made me confused as all fuck.” Alyssa explained.

Jenna smiled at her, “Do you realize how happy I am that you and him are hooking up. Your mother would be so happy.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “See that’s what I don’t want. I don’t want a commitment, or a boyfriend, because everyone will begin to ask questions that I am not ready to answer yet.”

“What in the hell are you smoking? This is amazing you and him can finally be together.”

“But I’m not sure I can feel for him the same way he does about me.”

Meanwhile...

“Oh someone had a good weekend!” Kevin remarked at Nick’s uncommonly happy disposition as they took a break from rehearsal.

All the guys laughed. “Did you get laid or something because I don’t think we’ve ever seen you in such a good mood.” AJ added.

Nick rolled his eyes, “Alyssa and I hung out all weekend and it was just great, something we haven’t done in a long time.”

“Wait a second just hanging out with her does this to you?” Howie asked.

Nick began to grin, “Yeah she’s just amazing and since she finished her thesis we have time to talk now like we used to and I love that about us we can talk about anything and there will be no judgments or anything just someone to listen to and get advice from.”

Kevin sighed, “Kristin and I are like that. My advice to you is marry the girl immediately if you two really are close like that.” He finished patting Nick on the back.

Nick laughed, “You guys have no idea how close she and I are, she knows stuff that I can’t even tell you guys.”

Brian shot him a look, “Like what?”

Nick grinned even more, “She knows me, knows my reactions to things before I even do. We even finish each other’s sentences or say the exact same thing at the same time. She says its because we’re on the same wavelength. I think it’s because we know each other so well.” He explained as they all got back up stretching a little before diving back into rehearsals. Unbeknownst to them Lori, Kellie, Alyssa, and Jenna snuck into the studio and watched the guys silently making comments. As the song ended Jenna wolf whistled in applause as the other girls busted out laughing. The guys whipped around seeing the girls there. Nick immediately grinning broadly. Alyssa grinned back and held out a white box for them. “What’s this?” Nick asked.

She smiled, “Chocolate truffle cake from the Ivy.” She stated holding the box out in front of her.

“Thanks hon.” Nick said as he walked over pulling her into a hug and took the box from her putting it over on the table for later.

Later that night....

Nick walked into his house exhausted just needing a good shower and maybe a backrub. He was sore everywhere but that was to be expected not having been on tour and dancing for so long. “Lissa?” He shouted the eerie silence getting to him as he walked up the stairs taking his clothes off on his way up to the massive shower that was calling out to him. He turned on the water getting inside letting it warm up until steam was practically billowing over the doors.

Leaning his hand against the wall he closed his eyes, seeing images of Alyssa her head thrown back in abandonment, as he remembered their weekend. What the hell were they now? He had no clue. He knew what he wanted them to be, but it wasn’t his call it was hers, he hated being so out of control in that respect. He felt his tired muscles give as he stepped under the near scalding water as he washed sweat and stress away.

When he finished he got out quickly wrapping a towel around his waist going into his bedroom cursing under his breath when he found no clothes. Remembering that it was laundry day as he padded down the stairs across the kitchen and into the laundry room.

Alyssa stood in the living room as she stared at him in just a towel and followed him into the laundry room laughing at the irony that she’d see him go to the place where she’d left him that morning.

Walking in she saw him just as he finished slipping on a pair of pajama pants now pulling the laundry out of the dryer separating her clothes from his into two laundry baskets. Alyssa moved behind him careful not to touch him she leaned up and blew lightly over his ear.

He jumped whirling around glaring at her smirk. She put her arms around his neck and leaned up pressing her lips to his. His arms quickly went around her waist pulling her body to his feeling her breathing increase and become shallow. His hands slipped over her waist down her ass lifting her up against him and then setting her down on the washer. He pulled away looking at her with longing that he had pent up the entire day.

“I believe I left you hanging this morning, no pun intended.” Alyssa commented pulling at the strings of his pajama pants.

Nick smiled pulling her back into a searing kiss only to pull away mumbling against her lips, “Upstairs...now!” He commanded as she got off the washer moving past him lifting off her shirt tossing it at him, then shimmying out of her jeans leaving her in just her white lace bra and underwear as she smirked at him as she walked backwards towards the stairs. He walked towards her shooting her a look before she ran up the stairs and into her bedroom giggling. He ran up the stairs after her going into her room stopping dead when he saw her no where to be found. She came up behind him and leaned up biting his neck. He shuddered and turned around. “What was that for?” He asked.

“Payback for the shiner you gave my tattoo.” She retorted pulling him towards her bed.

“You seemed to like it.” He shot back as they fell on the bed laughing.

*************************************

Nick Narrating:

I must be dreaming seriously. I can’t believe the weekend I had. Mostly I can’t believe Alyssa and the way she’s been acting the past few days.

This new side of her is definitely a welcome change. Not that I don’t like her normally, I am just so happy that our friendship didn’t get awkward.

I thought it would especially after I told her that I love her, I saw that fear in her eyes. Which gave me a little hope that she might feel the same. I know that has no logic but when it comes to Ali it does. Showing fear like that is a clear indication that she’s afraid to lose my friendship and well me. She has this profound debilitating fear of losing her loved ones and so that fear I saw is a good sign.

She’s easy to read, always has been. But now she’s faced with a decision to either try a relationship as more than what we are, or just be friends who occasionally hook up. The last of which I do not want. I love her, but it’s not my decision. I made mine already and I want her to be with me. I know the roles are completely reversed.

Normally it’s women wanting to be with me and I just want to be friends or I’ll just use them for sex. I know I know, it’s not right to use anyone but hey they are using me to get a record deal, more exposure, or to get away from the little town they live in. They see me as an escape and nothing more, just as I see them as an escape...from thinking about Alyssa.

It’s insane, I know that.

I knew that I loved her when she nearly killed herself. That night at the hospital made me see what life might be like without her and I couldn’t handle that. After that I didn’t let her out of my sight. At night we’d sleep in the same room because I was so afraid that she’d feel alone and do something again and I wouldn’t survive if she did.

Most of those nights I didn’t sleep much, I just watched her wanting to reach out and tell her how much I cared but I didn’t. I didn’t want to seem like I was trying to take advantage of her.

I never want to do that. Watching her all those nights made me see how beautiful she’d become. Watching her has become a habit of mine and it annoys everyone around us. Granted she’d always been adorable, cute even. But seeing her sleeping unaware of my eyes staring at her, studying her every curve, the way clothes hugged her just right. It made me see that I was wasting my time with all these little groupies from town to town and made me realize that the only one I wanted was her.

Honestly it’s really hard for me to take my eyes off of her.

It’s crazy, I’m crazy and I know that but I do that because I’m protective and I want to make sure she’s ok. It definitely comes in handy at a club always being able to spot her in a crowd.

Then came the inevitable, she went to college. I didn’t see her much and I hated it. Which is why I jumped at the chance to move to LA just to be near her. Also it’s why I convinced her to take online classes and be my personal assistant on my solo tour.

What I didn’t count on was that all the while I had her with me that she’d be with someone else romantically. That’s where Michael came into the picture. He’d been a close friend of mine and I asked him to come on tour with me to keep the testosterone levels up because having Alyssa and occasionally Lori and Kellie along was starting to get to me.

I didn’t count on Ali and Michael to hit it off. I didn’t count that our friendship would break them up. Actually the last one I made sure of. I was jealous. I wanted her for myself, no one could have her, and yet when it came down to it I was scared.

Scared of losing her as my friend.

So I sabotaged it, subtly. Taking up all her time with meaningless tasks, making sure she’d only have time for school, working with me, and spending a little time with me and that was it. My distraction worked like a charm too, he soon felt out of place and left and broke it off with her saying that he felt like a third wheel.

I hated doing that but I had to, they were getting too close, she was actually beginning to care about him and I didn’t want her to. I know it’s horrible and I shouldn’t have done it but I did. And because of that I’m close to getting exactly what I’ve been wanting....

Her.

End Narration.

*************************************

Nick rolled to his side seeing Alyssa staring at the ceiling. “Where are you?” He asked, a question that was commonly asked when either of them drifted off in thought.

Alyssa held the sheet to her chest and rolled to her side facing him, “I’m here I’m just thinking that’s all.” She said plainly.

He smiled lightly and brushed a few stray strands of dark hair out of her face, “I love you.”

She smiled rolling her eyes, “I know.” She spoke softly.

Quickly changing the subject, “So did you have fun?.... With the girls I mean.” He added.

Alyssa sighed, “Yeah I always have fun with them. Jenna knows though.”

“About us? I thought that you didn’t want to tell anyone?”

“I didn’t tell her, she saw me and she just knew. It’s a woman thing I guess.”

He pulled her in close his hands roaming her back. “What did she say?”

Alyssa shuddered a little at the light touch scooting closer to him, pushing him on his back as she came to rest on his chest. “She couldn’t have been happier.” She replied looking up at him while she traced over one of his fading footprint tattoos lightly with the tip of her finger. She laughed when she heard his stomach growl. “You hungry?” She asked.

“A little, haven’t had dinner.” He replied seeing her get up grabbing his shirt from the floor slipping it on then padding across the room. “Where are you going?” He asked.

“I got an idea, give me a second.” She replied smiling before going out of the room. He laid back looking at the ceiling thinking how great it would be to put mirror up there.

A few minutes she walked back in carrying mint chocolate chip ice cream, peanut butter, and chocolate. He sat up as she put everything on the night stand and crawled into his lap. “Theres this and I ordered Chinese that will be here in about 40 minutes.” She grabbed the ice cream handing him a spoon as they both dug in to the carton.

“Damnit.” He stated when the cold ice cream dripped onto his skin. Alyssa smiled taking the spoons and carton moving them to the night stand and leaned down licking it up off his chest then trailing her mouth up to his where their lips met tasting the ice cream off of each other’s lips. She sucked on his lips as she pulled away smiling deviously. He looked at her, her hair mussed from lying in bed.

She looked at him her heart beat racing she moved the sheet from around his waist... “I want you.” She said bluntly garnering a surprised look from him as she leaned forward kissing him. He quickly grabbed the hem of the shirt and lifted it over her head only breaking the kiss to do so. He leaned her on to her back as he kissed down her neck and back up to her mouth before entering swiftly making her cry out.

He moved slow, too slow as her nails dug into his shoulders urging him to go faster. She wrapped her legs around his waist and lifted her hips up to meet his as their sounds grew louder. He leaned down to claim her lips as they quickened their pace. Breaking the kiss Alyssa arched her back as the first wave hit her leaving her neck exposed.

He moved to suck and nip along her throat moving then to her shoulder biting down rather roughly as he came and she followed for a second time. They slowed down breathing heavily. The room was silent as they regained normal breathing. He looked up at her and smiled as she smiled back both deep in thought.

The doorbell brought them crashing back to reality as he moved off of her getting up pulling on some clothes and walked downstairs. He opened it seeing the delivery guy, paying him and taking the bag of food thanking him before closing the door and walking back up the stairs into Alyssa’s bedroom seeing her sitting there in her favorite beat up Suns tee-shirt and her purple and blue boy short underwear.

He smiled handing her the bag as he went down to the kitchen grabbing plates, napkins, forks and two glasses of water placing them on a tray and carried them up to her bedroom. He walked in seeing her already devouring her favorite chicken fried rice with chopsticks. He sat down grabbing the carton with sweet and sour chicken. She offered him a pair of chopsticks. “You know I cannot figure out how to work those damn things, I’d rather use a fork.” As he chowed down on the chicken.

After they had finished she handed him his fortune cookie. He cracked his open reading aloud, “There is a time and place for everything...in bed.” He said laughing. “What does yours say?” He asked as Alyssa looked at hers.

“All your questions will soon be answered....in bed.” They busted out laughing at the fortune.

After they regained their composure he said looking up at the ceiling, “You know a mirror would go perfect right there.”

“What?” She asked.

“Well I was thinking that if you do say yes that you could move into my room and this room could be our sort of safe room.”

“Safe room?”

“Ok, a safe room, or space where we can talk without fear of embarrassment or judgment or anything like that. A place where we can really open up to each other verbally and...”

“And?”

“Physically, I know it’s crazy but we could keep your room as our...”

“Fantasy room?” Alyssa finished forking an eyebrow.

He shot her a look, “Maybe I don’t know, just have this be our place where we talk, and do whatever.”

Alyssa looked around the room an idea forming, “Well ok this is if I say yes to giving us a shot right?” He nodded. “Well we could make it look like Kathryn’s room from Cruel Intentions. The walls only need to be painted dark blue, then build the bed into the wall with the drawers and curtains.” She paused getting up walking around the room while his eyes followed her. “We could put dark colored couches against the walls, move the desk into your office. Putting the bed into the wall will definitely open the room up, that and the storage space that we never use could fit the bed perfectly sideways so we could knock out the wall and cover the door up and use that.” She finished her eyes coming to rest on his face and his amused expression. “What?” She asked walking over to him standing in between his legs placing her hands on his shoulders.

“Nothing I’m just glad that you are actually thinking about giving us a chance.” He stated smiling a little.

She rolled her eyes, “You mentioned changing the room only to get information out of me huh?” She asked.

He sighed, “Well not at first but yeah it kinda worked out that way.” He stated smiling sheepishly.

Alyssa tried to look offended but her resolve quickly disappeared in favor of a smile, “Well I haven’t made any decisions yet. I’m going to fully utilize the two weeks or so that we’ll be apart. True it’s going to suck not waking up with you but it’ll give me time to think about us or well the possibility of us.” Alyssa replied flopping down on the bed next to him.

He took her hand into his lacing their fingers as she laid her head on his shoulder, “I hope there is an ‘us’.” Nick whispered lowly.

“Why? Why do you love me?” Alyssa asked wanting to know.

Nick sighed and unconsciously squeezed her hand, “Because I feel better when I’m with you. I feel smarter, stronger, happier and that’s just being near you and I love that you can make me feel like I’m better than I am.”

Alyssa looked at him, “Have I ever told you that you mean a lot to me?” He looked up at her his eyes searching hers. “You saved my life, brought me out of the worst moments in my life. You made me laugh and smile when I thought that the world wasn’t worth living in. I owe you so much, and yet you keep giving. That’s why I tell you that I don’t want anything. Because I already have so much.”

He smiled weakly at her, “I just feel like I can never do enough though. You have always been there for me. And I can’t imagine my life without you in it in one way or another.” She stared at him then pulled him into a teasing kiss.

The next afternoon...

“Carter stop pacing you’re making everyone jumpy.” AJ stated rather bluntly.

Nick shot him a look as he continued to pace about the dance studio during their lunch break. “Nick come on what’s up man you look nervous as all hell.” Kevin asked concerned.

He stopped a moment looking at his four best friends sitting on the floor and sat down, “Alyssa has her thesis defense today she said she’d stop by when she was done which should have been about an hour ago.”

“And exactly why are you worried?” Brian asked.

Nick sighed and replied, “Because this damn thesis has been her life for the past 6 months and I want her to pass it so she can graduate in December. Seriously do you guys know how hard it was for her to get this far in only 2 and a half years? Most people it takes them 5-7 years just to finish their bachelors.”

“I’ve been meaning to ask how in the hell she could pull it off.”

Nick smiled a little, “She’s one determined woman that’s for sure. She’s always been in advanced classes she’s just a really fast learner and normal classes kind of held her back. Lissa took advanced classes for three years of high school so that she’d have most of her general studies requirements done, like her sciences, English, and foreign languages. Then when college came around she enrolled early doing double summer courses and a double course load that fall and spring getting her bachelors by the end of spring. All internet classes while on tour with me mind you. After that she took summer classes, doubled up during the fall and spring again, then took it easy only taking the normal course load last summer and this semester. Basically all she has to do is pass this today, her finals in a month and she’s good to graduate. I have no idea how she kept her sanity and did soccer at the same time.”

Kevin smiled as he took a drink of his iced tea. “You are really proud of her huh?”

Nick blushed a bit, “Of course I am, considering all she’s been through, throwing herself into school helped her a lot though. It kept her focused.”

Alyssa walked into the studio just as Nick finished his statement. All the guys stood seeing her in a white button down shirt black vest and black pinstripe pants. “Hey guys.” She said not smiling.

Nick felt something was wrong, “How did your thesis defense go?” He asked tentatively expecting her to say something bad by the look on her face.

Keeping her face solemn she replied, “I passed.”

Immediately all the guys began giving their condolences then did a double take, “You passed?” Nick exclaimed.

A broad smile lit up Alyssa’s face, “Hell yeah I did!” She exclaimed as Nick gave her a hug.

“Congrats Ali, that’s really awesome.” Brian replied as Nick broke the hug.

AJ smiled, “I believe a celebration is in order!”

“Thanks guys. But I’ll have to decline on the celebration for now, at least until after nationals, finals, and well we’ll celebrate when I graduate in December. Anyways I better get going I have practice all day and then more practice later.”

Nick smiled, “I’ll walk you out to your car.” He said as they began to walk towards the door Alyssa and the guys exchanging farewells. Nick led her out to her car opening the door for her as she got in he leaned down and kissed her through the open window. “Just us tonight right?” He asked.

Alyssa smiled, “Of course I’ll be home about 7ish so order something ok?” She said before driving off.

That night...

Nick stared at his bed seeing all the clothes and things he wanted to take with him on the tour. True it was only two and a half weeks, two weeks in Asia and then a few days in Europe before coming home, he just wanted to be sure he didn’t forget anything which was a usual occurrence.

Meanwhile Alyssa trudged into the house near exhaustion with scrapes and a few bruises all over her tired legs. She slowly climbed the stairs up to her bedroom dropping her gym bag on the floor before going into the bathroom turning on the hot water in the tub then pouring in her favorite bubble bath. She needed the relaxation to soothe her muscles.

Nick heard the water in the bathroom turn on and walked in seeing Alyssa at the mirror, eyes closed, taking her hair out of the French braid she’d had it in for practice. He smiled a little and snuck up behind her putting his arms around her waist. She opened her eyes and smiled at his reflection in the mirror as she swept her hair to the side undoing the braid. He kissed her exposed left shoulder then trailed up to just below her ear causing goosebumps to break out all over her skin.

She turned around in his arms and placed her hands on his shoulders. “Let me take a bath first I’m all grungy and bruised and scraped from practice.”

“Ok you get in and I’ll go pick up dinner for us.”

“No just order pizza. I’m in a pizza and beer mood today.”

He smiled and kissed her forehead before going down stairs to call for the pizza. Alyssa lit candles around the room turning down the lights, undressed and stepped into the now nearly full tub and eased herself into the hot water her muscles immediately giving under the moist heat. Alyssa leaned her head against the padded side of the tub allowing herself to fully relax and closed her eyes.

Nick walked back into the bathroom stopping at the doorway seeing the candles everywhere casting a soft glow to the room then to Alyssa relaxing in the tub he padded over to her sitting on the ledge next to the tub and smiled at her. Alyssa felt eyes on her as she opened hers seeing him there grinning at her. She half smiled back at him.

“You look all comfortable in there.” He said smirking at her.

“I’m so glad you talked me into moving in this place.” She stated catching him off guard.

“Why do you say that?” He asked a surprised glint in his eyes.

She chuckled at him, “Because if you didn’t we wouldn’t be as close as we are now, and I wouldn’t have the most amazing bath tub.” She said her tone half serious and half playful.

He laughed a little, “Almost makes me want to join you.” He said leaning in closer to her face.

“Then why don’t you?” She shot back as she moved closer to kiss him only to be interrupted a minute later when the doorbell rang.

“Damn I’ll be right back.” He said as he got up leaving the room.

“Ok.”

A minute later Alyssa drained the tub, grabbed one of the huge fluffy towels and got out, completely reenergized and wound up. She padded into her bedroom and into her closet drying off and throwing on a pair of low slung basketball shorts with the Phoenix Suns logo on the side, and a black tank top. She decided against underwear figuring that they’d be in bed at some point.

Down in the kitchen, Nick put the pizza on the counter going to the fridge pulling out two bottles of Corona, then pulling out a couple of plates from the cupboard. Alyssa came bounding down the stairs and into the kitchen, taking Nick by surprise by jumping into his arms wrapping her legs around his waist.

“Woah.” He said staring straight into her eyes.

“Sorry, just a little wound up tonight.”

“I’ll say...” He began as she pulled him into a deep teasing kiss. He pulled away and set her down then wrapped his arms around her waist. “I thought you were tired from practice.”

She smiled, “I was until I took a bath and well I’m awake now. Besides you’re leaving tomorrow.”

“I wish you were going with me.” He stated running his hands up and down her back.

Alyssa sighed, “I know but you’ll be home before you know it. I wish I could go but I have nationals and school and you know that comes first.”

He rolled his eyes at her. “Yeah, yeah. But after December I’m dragging you everywhere.”

“That is if I can’t find a job.” Alyssa added.

Nick sighed and gave her a look, “Still going to get a job after school.”

“And you expect me not to? Nick I thought we went over this. I’m not going to live off of your money once school is over.” She paused softening her tone not wanting to fight the night before he left. “It’s not that I don’t appreciate everything that you’ve done for me. It’s just I need to be able to support myself and if you and I are ever going to work romantically or whatever I need to do this.” Alyssa explained.

He stared at her his resolve to be obstinate and stubborn thinning quickly, “I just want you with me….I can’t bear the thought…of…losing you again.” He stated lowly.

Alyssa stared at him strangely. “Lose me again what are you talking about?” She asked.

Nick met her gaze seeing a full range of emotions in her eyes. “Remember what I told you about the night you spent in the hospital?”

“Yeah that you realized that you loved me.”

He sighed, nodded, then continued. “I came to that conclusion that night because I thought I lost you. The doctors had given you a slim chance of surviving the night…” He paused his voice wavering, “The thought of living without you in my life freaked the hell out of me. I remember just looking at you unconscious all the machines beeping away silently hoping that you’d make it so that I could tell you someday that I love you.”

She sat in silence for a minute then spoke up, “I never knew you cared so much.”

He chuckled a little, “It’s funny you know, how we ended up here. I know one thing for sure and that’s how I feel about you.”

Alyssa looked at him a moment then smiled. “Then why don’t you show me.”