- Text Size +
Chapter 33

“He’s going to be ok.” The doctor said, looking at Cass. She looked back at him like she didn’t believe what he had just said.
“He’s ok?” She asked.
The doctor nodded. Cass started crying again, but this time out of relief. Brian walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her as she cried into his chest.
“He’s going to be ok!” She whispered.
She wanted to jump up and down, yelling, and forget about everything that had happened that night. As she began to calm down, and after hugging everybody in the room, including the doctor, they all sat down to hear what the doctor had to say about Nick’s condition. He spoke English very well, and Cass immediately trusted him when he started to speak.
“Mr. Carter has been very lucky. We had to drain his lounges because they were filled with a lot of ash. He has to wear an oxygen mask every night for a week to help him breathe more easily. His left upper arm has second degree burn that will heal within a couple of months. Other than that, he needs to rest for about a week, that being, no performing. It’s a small price to pay, considering how it could have ended.” He finished, looking around at the six people watching him. Cass couldn’t stop crying. For a few hours, she thought she had lost him, and now, all she could think about was how bad she wanted to hold him in her arms.
“Now…” The doctor continued. “Which one of you is Cassidy?”
Cass looked up. “I am….” She sniffed.
“Mr. Carter asked for you. Come with me, and I’ll take you to him.”
She smiled slightly and stood up. “I’ll be right back.” She said to the others.

She followed the doctor down the hall, not saying a word. She wanted to run to Nick, close the door behind her, and stay locked in the room with him forever. The doctor finally stopped outside a door, and turned to Cass.
“Mr. Carter is still in a lot of pain. He’s breathing without the oxygen mask, but if he’s in the need of it, it is placed right next to his bed. Try not to make him speak too much. His lounges need to rest.”
Cass nodded, eager to get inside.
“I’ll leave you two alone, but I’ll be right down the hall if you have any questions.”
He walked away, leaving Cass alone outside the door. She took a deep breath and slowly opened it.

Nick was laying in bed, looking up at the ceiling when Cass walked in, but as soon as he heard her enter, he turned to look at her, a weak smile on his lips. Cass tried to act like she was ok, but the second she saw him, tears formed in her eyes, and she knew that there was no use in hiding them. She quickly walked over to the bed and sat down next to him. Without a word, she buried her face in his chest. Nick put an arm around her, and gently stroke her hair.
“Don’t cry baby, I’m ok.” He whispered, his voice sounding hoarse and very weak.
Hearing his voice made Cass cry even more. She was finally realizing that he was going to be ok, and she had never felt this relieved in her entire life. She just couldn’t imagine her life without him in it.
“I thought I had lost you…” She cried, finally looking up at him.
He smiled a little, and rested a hand on her cheek. “I could never leave you Cass, I love you.”
“I love you too Nick.” She bent down and carefully kissed his lips, afraid that she might hurt him. Nick only deepened the kiss, and soon, Cass had forgotten all about the past few hours.
Several minutes later, they were still making out, when suddenly Nick started to feel dizzy. His breathing was getting heavier, and he pulled away. Cass looked at him, confused at first, but then she realized that he was having a hard time breathing.
“Nick… are you ok? You need oxygen?”
All he could do was nod. Cass reached over and quickly grabbed the oxygen mask that was placed next to his bed. She helped him put it on, and watched as he closed his eyes and let the oxygen fill his lounges. Cass held his hand, stroking his hair as the minutes passed. Finally, Nick slowly opened his eyes, and removed the mask from his face.
“I’m so sorry Nick. I shouldn’t have kissed you like that… I wasn’t thinking.”
Nick shook his head, smiling a little. “No, it’s not your fault baby. I just can’t control myself when I’m with you. You’re too damn cute.” He joked, trying to lighten the mood a bit.
“Are you in a lot of pain?” Cass asked, wanting to know how he felt.
“Not that much.” He lied. He didn’t want her to feel sorry for him. Cass looked down at him suspiciously and tried to read his eyes.
Nick forced a smile, and looked away. “You don’t believe me, do you…?”
Cass shook her head. “Not a chance.”
He sighed and looked back up at her. “I’m sorry Cass. I know I can’t lie to you. It hurts like hell… They gave me some kind of drugs to ease the pain, but to be honest, it doesn’t work that well. My arm’s killing me, and it’s really painful to breathe.”
Cass hugged Nick again. “I wish there was something I could do…”
“Just having you here, helps a lot.”
“I think the guys really want to see you.”
Nick nodded. “You should go and get them. They’re all here?”
“Yea. They came as soon as they heard. They were so worried, Nick. I’ve never seen them like that. They care about you so much.”
He smiled a little. It felt so good to know that he had his friends there to support him.
“Just bring them in here, k?”
Cass nodded and bent down to give him a small kiss. “I’ll be right back.”

Cass walked out of the room and over to where the guys were waiting. They all looked up in anticipation as she entered the room.
“He wants to see you.” She said, smiling at them.
“How is he?” Brian asked impatiently, walking over to Cass.
“He’s in a lot of pain, obviously, but other than that, he’s fine. His breathing’s very uneven, and if you kiss him long enough, he’ll need an oxygen mask…”
Brian looked at her confused. “Umm…?”
Cass shook her head, and smiled. “Don’t ask.”

They all followed her over to Nick’s room, and walked in.
“Hey.” Nick smiled as they entered and surrounded his bed. One by one, they hugged him, telling him how glad they were that he was ok.
“We thought we’d lost you there for a moment Nicky…” Howie said.
Nick smiled. “You don’t get rid of me that easily, you know.”
The guys continued talking for almost half an hour, when Cass had to remind them about what the doctor had told them about Nick having to rest. The guys decided that they should all get back to the hotel to get some rest. It was almost two in the morning by then, and they were all exhausted. Cass was also getting ready to leave, when Nick stopped her.
“Baby, please stay with me tonight.”
Cass turned around to look at him. “Nick… I don’t know if I’m allowed.”
“I don’t care.”
“I should at least ask the doctor.”
“No just…. Just stay here with me. I don’t want you to leave.” He looked so scared and alone lying there, that Cass just couldn’t say no. She just nodded and sat down next to his bed.
“No, come here.” Nick made room for her on the bed next to him and pulled her up from the chair.
“Nick, I don’t know if I should…” Cass hesitated. “I don’t wanna hurt you.”
“You won’t. I just wanna hold you.”
Cass smiled, and climbed on to the bed. She lay down, and rested her head on Nick’s chest.
“Are you sure I’m not hurting you?”
Nick laughed a little. “Yes Cass. I’m sure.” He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her even closer.
They both fell silent for a while. Cass thought about the past couple of hours, and how happy she was that Nick was still with her. She smiled to herself, hearing his heartbeat as a confirmation that he was right there, next to her. His hand was gently stroking her cheek, feeling warm against her skin. She didn’t know how long they’d been lying like that, when Nick spoke.
“Cass…?” He whispered.
“Umm.”
“Will you marry me?”