- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
All right everyone here is chapter 14. It's a bit shorter than my other chapters but I figured that it was best that way. Anyways enjoy and let me know what you think!
Somewhere I Belong

Chapter Fourteen: Babysitting

“Lori come on, I babysat for Brian and Leighanne all the time.” Alyssa reasoned.

Lori rolled her eyes, “Yeah and Baylee’s a toddler, Jamie is an infant. I can’t believe that Clark talked me into this weekend getaway.”

“We’ll be fine, Nick and I will take great care of him. And it’ll be easy on my nephew not having to go to a strange house for two whole days.”

Lori sighed, “I just don’t want to leave him.” She replied gazing lovingly at her infant son.

“You and Clark need a romantic getaway before your wedding since you two decided not to have a honey moon.” Alyssa countered.

Nick walked into the room just then and came over to them putting his arms around Alyssa. “Lori are you still worrying that we won’t be able to do this?” He asked with a sarcastic grin.

Lori gave him a sharp look and Alyssa giggled. “Lori calm down.”

“Please I know how to change a diaper, I had to when Aaron and Angel were born.”

Aaron and Kellie walked in at that moment, “Dude that’s fucking weird.” Aaron stated in response.

Lori shot him a death look, “I swear I’m going to start a swear jar and charge you all money every time you cuss in front of my son.”

“Lori, you and Clark need a vacation, little Jamie will be perfectly okay.” Kellie reasoned.

Lori turned to Alyssa and Nick, “One hair out of place, you… me… issues…” She managed to spit out reigning in her disappointment to leave the infant who was still peacefully asleep.

Alyssa gave her best friend a hug, “I adore my nephew, he’ll be fine. You already gave us his feeding schedule right?”

“It’s on the fridge, I made sure I pumped enough.”

“Whoa…I do not want to hear about that.” Nick replied backing up.

Alyssa laughed as they all went down into the kitchen, Alyssa holding onto the baby monitor.

“Nick you better get used to it if you want Ali to get pregnant.” Lori shot back.

Aaron laughed a little, “But I doubt he wants to know about that.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “Good lord men they always get disgusted by the stuff us women sacrifice to have a healthy baby.”

Lori snorted at her, “That’s because they’re only really apart of the fun part. Lucky bastards get to have all of the fun, none of the work.”

Clark walked in kissing Lori on the cheek, “Hey how many times did I get you ice cream at 3AM? And I’ve done my fair share of taking care of things, letting you sleep when you needed it.”

Lori grinned at him, “That’s because you’re an amazing father…and fiancé.”

They kissed making everyone grin at them, “I think they’re going to start on kid number two.” Kellie snickered as Aaron rested his chin on her shoulder.

Lori shot her a look and Clark replied, “No those two are next.” He stated pointing at Alyssa and Nick.

“Whoa…no…we are not….just no.” Alyssa protested.

Nick chuckled a little bit, “Not yet at least, it’ll happen when it’s meant to.” He couldn’t deny that he hoped that time was coming soon.

“Yeah I think they’ll stick to practicing.” Kellie shot back.

Alyssa giggled, “Don’t even try to act like you aren’t getting any…… Aaron trust me, Lori and I learned way more than we ever needed to know about you.” Alyssa replied making Aaron blush.

Nick laughed, “Relax Kellie knows about myself and Clark too.”

“Okay I think it’s time to go.” Clark announced making everyone laugh as they headed for the door.

The next morning…

Alyssa woke up and looked around the room seeing Nick no where to be found. She got out of bed slipping on one of his tee-shirts and heading down the hall. She stopped in the nursery and stopped smiling at what she saw. Nick was sitting in the corner feeding little Jamie.

Nick looked up and smiled back at her. “I woke up a little while ago and it was time for him to eat.”

“You two are freakin’ adorable.” Alyssa replied moving across the room squatting down to their level.

Nick grinned at her setting the empty baby bottle aside. Alyssa reached her hands out for Jamie and Nick handed him over. She stood and walked him around the room patting his back a little. Nick watched her as she doted on her nephew wearing just a tee-shirt. He moved behind her wrapping his arm around her waist looking at the now sleeping infant. “Let’s take him downstairs and have some breakfast.” He whispered kissing her neck.

That night…

Alyssa grinned at her nephew as he giggled and grasped her finger in his hands.

“He so has you whipped.” Nick stated laughing at her a little bit.

She gave him an amused look and turned back to little Jamie tickling him. “I can’t help it he’s just so damn cute.”

Nick grinned a little, “That he is…” He replied taking Jamie into his arms cradling the infant as he giggled and yawned.

“I think someone is tired.” Alyssa announced noticing Jamie being lulled to sleep. She looked at Nick and marveled at how good he was with Jamie. “You’re going to be an amazing father you know that?” She asked as he got up giving her a shocked look. He went up stairs placing Jamie in his bassinet tucking him in and taking the baby monitor turning it on along with the mobile that dangled above the crib.

He came back down stairs giving her the same expression. “Why do you think I’ll be an amazing father?” He had to ask her the statement had completely blown him away and he had to know what possessed her to say it.

She grinned a little, “Because you’re amazing with Baylee, and now with Jamie. It’s adorable.”

“But I’m not their father though so how would what I act like with them mean for when we have kids?”

“It’s exactly that. You’re great with kids that aren’t even yours, imagine how amazing you’re going to be when it’s ours.”

Nick sat back for a moment thinking over what she said smiling to himself.

Alyssa giggled a little, “You’re grinning like an idiot over there.”

He laughed a little not answering her and moved across the room sitting next to her on the couch pulling her into his arms, “Give me a daughter that looks just like you.”

Alyssa considered him for a moment and then smiled. “I can work on that.” She replied with a playful grin.

The next evening…

“Clark you’re such a sap!” Lori exclaimed as they carried their bags into the house.

Alyssa bounded into the foyer with a surprised look on her face. Nick came into the foyer holding little Jamie. “You’re not supposed to be home for two more hours.” Alyssa stated as Nick handed the giggling infant over to Clark.

Lori rolled her eyes and smiled at her son, “Did you have fun with neurotic Auntie Ali and Uncle Nick?”

“I am NOT neurotic.” Alyssa protested.

Nick laughed in response. “He was perfect, slept through the night both nights.”

Clark chuckled a bit, “Yeah that’s because we got him on a good schedule when she was pregnant.”

“That works?” Alyssa asked.

Lori grinned, “Yep, if the mother goes to bed at the same time and wakes up at the same time throughout the pregnancy then it’s much easier to get the baby to sleep through the night.”

“Whatever you did it’s working, Jamie was an absolute angel.” Alyssa answered back.

“He didn’t cry at all?” Clark asked.

Nick sighed, “The first night he did just because you two weren’t there but Ali calmed him down with that lullaby.”

“Dad’s lullaby?” Clark asked with a shocked expression. When each of the children were infants Jamie would sing them a little lullaby, a rendition of an old classic, that would instantly calm them down. “How does that go again?”

Alyssa grinned and replied, “Golden slumber kiss your eyes, smiles await you when you rise. Sleep pretty baby, do not cry, and I'll sing you a lullaby. Care you know not. Therefore sleep, while I o'er you watch do keep. Sleep, pretty darling, do not cry, and I will sing a lullaby.”

“Damn Ali I can’t believe you remember that.” Clark remarked astonished she’d remembered it after so many years.

Alyssa sighed, “Dad used to sing it to me whenever I was scared or sick and it just stuck with me.” She got a sad expression on her face.

Nick’s expression softened and he pulled her against him kissing her temple. Alyssa looked up at him and smiled weakly. Even though it had been well over a year since Jamie’s passing the very mention of him always stung. She missed her father more and more everyday. Especially now, when she had a beautiful nephew, Clark and Lori would be getting married in a week, and she’d finally gotten over her fear of loss; finally accepting her feelings for Nick.