- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Another chapter? OMG It's a miracle!!! lol Anyways tell me what ya'll think. I'm working on chapter 19 right now
Chapter Eighteen: The Roaring Twenties







*********************************
Alyssa Narrating:


I’m still mad at Nick for that fight the other day. Even now on the plane ride to Phoenix I won’t talk to him. He knows I’m pissed for him doubting me and don’t I have every right to don’t I?


He infuriates me sometimes. But then again he’s supposed to. Anyone you love and are close to are bound to at some point piss you off from time to time.


And then what Brandon said…


I mean Nick and I have been together nearly two years. Friends for well over ten years. Shouldn’t he have figured it out by now if I’m the girl for him?


I mean yeah he tells me all the time that I’m the girl for him. That I’m his lover, his soulmate. But what if it’s just bullshit to keep me? Nick’s never been a great liar but I’ve seen girls fall for less when they look at those blue eyes.


Yes I’ll admit, those eyes get me all the time. I love how they change color, when he’s mad they’re bright and clear, when he’s happy they sparkle just a little more than normal. When he’s sad his eyes are gray and pale.


I know it’s weird how I can tell what his mood is by his eyes. He can do the same with mine. It’s insane. But then again so is our relationship. It’s always been a bit crazy between us. When we were friends no one could understand how we could be so close and not want more. Well surprise, surprise we did want more. So much more.


Not to jump back but I want him to ask me. Brandon’s questioning got me thinking about how much I want to be with him. To take his last name and have children that are part of both of us.


I want all of that and more. Maybe I’m crazy but I know I love him, as much as he pisses me off.


End Narration.
******************************


******************************
Nick Narrating:


Okay, okay…


I know I’m an asshole. I get it. I know I should trust her, completely. But seeing those boxers in our bedroom. Knowing they weren’t mine. My blood boiled.


I swear to God if I see Brandon put any moves on her whatsoever he’s going to need an ambulance. Yes, I’m possessive. I can’t fucking help it I love her so much. If I lose her….


No, I can’t….won’t think about that.


She loves me, I know she does. Even if she doesn’t verbalize it her eyes say it. Those green eyes. I think they’re a Monroe trait. Her grandmother has them, her father had them, and now Ali does. I look over at her seeing her staring out the small oblong shaped window. I wished she’d turn her head, so I could see those eyes. But I doubt I’d want to now. They’d be one of two colors. Pale with sadness or fiery with anger at me.


I can’t believe the things I said to her. I know I should trust her implicitly but there’s always going to be that nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach. That somehow I’m not enough.


Yeah those feelings have been creeping up on me a lot lately. That I’m not good enough for her. That she deserves more.


Is it normal to feel like you don’t deserve someone yet treat them like they are lying to you? Maybe I’m crazy. There’s just so much I want to tell her, share with her you know?


Is it crazy to be so in love that you can’t even describe it? It scares me sometimes that all I have to do is just look at her and I know I’ll be okay. Knowing that she loves me, that she’s right there with me is an incredible feeling. Honestly as clichéd as this sounds I never thought I’d feel this way. Or quite this strongly. Granted I’d been in ‘love’ before. But this…woah. This is so much stronger and much more frightening.


When she’s pissed off like she is right now. I know it’s only because I didn’t trust her like I promised I always would. I mean come on, cut me some slack here I find the idiot’s boxers near our bed and she expects me to not jump to conclusions.


Yeah okay I’m an idiot. I realize this. Now comes the hard part. Getting her to forgive me…


End Narration.
*************************************


Nick turned to Alyssa seeing her features in profile as she read her book. He looked at the title "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. ‘Great a chick novel’ he mused to himself. “Alyssa…” He whispered in her ear.


Alyssa sighed marking her place in her book then looking over. “What?”


Nick saw the determined look in her eyes and his expression softened. “I’m sorry, for yesterday. I was stupid not to trust you.”


Alyssa nodded, “Apology accepted.” She replied flatly going back to her book.


He looked at her completely puzzled, “What’s wrong?”


She sighed again and looked at him, “I love you, but that doesn’t mean I have to like you right now.”


“But I said I’m sorry and I meant it.”


Alyssa chuckled, “And you expect me to what fall into your arms and melt like butter on a hot muffin?”


He thought it over for a moment, “The thought had occurred to me.”


“Well you thought wrong.” Alyssa retorted.


Later on that day…


“What’s going on with you two?” Lori asked noting the dismayed look on Alyssa’s and Nick’s faces.


“Brandon came over for lunch, and a pair of boxers were left in our bedroom. The first thing he thinks is that I fucked Brandon.” Alyssa explained.


“Well it’s a logical thought.” Lori countered making Alyssa look at her. “Hey don’t yell at me I’m just thinking here. Did he apologize?”


“Yeah on the plane.”


“And you haven’t forgiven him?”


Alyssa looked at her, “I have but I want him to learn not to just expect me to forgive him at the drop of a hat.”


Lori laughed a little, “Honey just go have makeup sex already. It’s bad luck for the maid of honor and the best man to be at odds at a wedding.”


Alyssa laughed with her, “I know we haven’t had sex since the day before yesterday. Brandon interrupted us in the kitchen.”


“Then as punishment go torture him.” Lori replied with a snarky grin.


“Torture?” Alyssa added arching her eyebrow in curiosity.


Kellie rolled her eyes, “Honey she means give him a reason to call you ‘Mistress’”


“Oh…” Alyssa replied a little embarrassed that she hadn’t gotten it. After thinking it over for a moment she grinned, “That has tons of possibilities.”


Meanwhile…


“Dude you’re off what’s wrong?” Clark asked as he adjusted his watch.


Nick sighed, “She mad, I thought she had slept with Brandon which she didn’t.”


Clark laughed a little, “And my beautiful fiancée is probably tell her to ‘punish’ you.”


Nick gave Clark an odd look in response.


“I know you’re fucking my sister and it’s okay, at least it’s you and not the caped crusader.”


Nick thought a moment. “The caped crusader is Batman.”


“Oh…damnit that sounded better in my head.”


Nick laughed hard at Clark. “Why is no one surprised at Ali’s and my sex life?”


Clark sighed and patted Nick on the shoulder and replied, “My sister’s best friend is Lori. Al is like her protégé. She’s a mistress in training.”


“Mistress has a nice ring to it.”


Clark laughed, “Dude trust me you will so not regret it if you start calling her that.”


“So I’m guessing Lori…”


“She’d make an amazing dominatrix.”


Nick laughed a little, “So would your sisters.”


“Okay I understand one, but both?”


“Yep where do you think I go for tips on how to get Ali to be so loud.”


“I know what better place to get tips on pleasing a woman than a lesbian right?”


Nick chuckled, “You went to your sister for sex advice?”


Clark sighed rolling his eyes, “No I went to Angie. Getting advice on the proper oral technique from my sister would not be good, it was bad enough I couldn’t stop thinking that she regularly has sex with Oli.”


Nick busted out laughing at his comment, “I know she’s your sister but Olivia is hot, both your sisters are.”


“I know my sisters are both very beautiful, I’m just glad they are both in committed relationships with good people.”


Nick grinned, “Aw thanks man.” He said giving him a hug.


Clark pushed him off of him, “Yeah, yeah but you hurt my sister and I’ll make sure you sing falsetto permanently.”


Nick nodded in agreement. “Okay are we ready to go to this engagement party or what?” He replied changing the subject.


Clark snicker-snorted at him as they walked down stairs seeing Alyssa looking through her clutch. She was dressed in a Twenties inspired flapper dress with her hair in frozen waves and held up to look shorter.


She looked up giving her brother a hug then over at Nick giving him a small grin.


“Go easy on him Al.” Clark whispered into her ear. “He’s just afraid that he’s not good enough for you.”


Alyssa hugged her brother and sighed, “Ok…”


She broke away from him and took Nick by the hand out to the back patio. Once outside she pushed him up against the rough stucco wall and kissed him hard. She moved her hands to his belt then down over the front of him stroking him slowly through the fabric of his tuxedo pants. He groaned into the kiss and slumped against the wall. He’d missed her touch for too long. Just as he got into the kiss and her touch fully she pulled away.


“What the….” He said breathlessly.


She gave him a devious grin and checked her smeared makeup in her compact fixing it quickly. She walked back over to him pressing her body fully against him. “Don’t you ever doubt me again.” She said with fire in her eyes.


He looked at her seeing her completely in control of the situation and completely turned on by it. “I…I….I won’t….” He managed to sputter out.


She grinned that infamous grin of hers and replied, “Good boy.” And pushed away from him straightening out her dress and taking his hand as they walked back through the house and out to the cars.


He tried to shrug it off, but really it was damn difficult when all he wanted to do was violate her immediately and repeatedly infront of her entire family. That and walking with a hard-on was no easy feat either. Before he realized what was going on they all got into the cars heading off to the party at one of Scottsdale’s hottest clubs.


Once they arrived they walked in seeing all of Lori and Clark’s friends and colleagues. Even Lori’s family had shown up which was surprising since she hadn’t spoken to them in years.


“So I’m guessing that’s her family?” Nick asked seeing the very Irish looking brood.


Alyssa giggled, “Yep, Mom, Dad, and her sibs. Now darling you will dance with me right?” She said giving him a coy grin.


“Darling?”


She chuckled harder and batted her eye lashes. “Yes I’m channeling Jordan Baker to get into the 20s mood of illegal booze, jazz, and well men…” She said with a slight snicker.


“Man….singular.”


Alyssa grinned, “Only if you dance with me.”


He grinned back, “Well then I think we should get a drink first then head out to dance then.” They walked over to the bar ordering martini’s downing them quickly before he took her by the hand out on to the dance floor. He spun her around and dipped her low making her laugh at him.


Kellie watched them with a grin on her face seeing Brandon walk up downing a Jack and Coke with a pissed expression. She turned and stood in front of him. “Brandon right?”


He looked at her, “And you would be?”


She forked an eyebrow, “Keller Elizabeth Jackson. Alyssa’s best friend.”


Brandon looked her up and down for a moment, “I don’t believe we’ve met before.”


“We haven’t, and I’m here to tell you to stay away from her.”


He licked his lips and fiddled with his belt. He leaned in a little, “And whose going to stop me? You?”


She leaned in whispering in his ear, “If you so much as try to break them up…” She said getting closer letting her voice get raspy. “I’ll do everything in my power to make sure you never work in Hollywood again.” Kellie pulled away and walked back over to Aaron lacing their fingers.


“What was that?” He asked noting what had happened.


Kellie sighed and kissed him on the cheek, “Protecting my best friends baby.” She replied.


He grinned at her and kissed her hand.


Meanwhile Alyssa saw the display out of the corner of her eye concerned that Brandon was causing trouble. Nick turned her chin back to him. “Sugar what’s wrong?”


“Nothing.” She replied.


“Liar.” He said holding her close as a slow song came on.


She sighed, “Don’t worry about it. I’m just worried about Brandon causing a scene that’s all.”


About twenty minutes later, Alyssa took the mic and stood up looking out over all the tables of friends and loved ones there. “Hello everyone. I’m Alyssa the maid of honor. And myself and…” She paused as Nick stood up going over by her side.


“Nick, the best man.” He added with a grin.


“And we’re here to welcome everyone to Lori and Clark’s engagement party.” Alyssa said with a bright smile. “Let me tell you a little bit about my best friend Lori for a moment…” She began.