- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
okay this chapter was getting TOO long so I decided to split it up into three parts here is part one, I'll be working on part two and three the rest of this week, anyways as always R&R it's so much apreciated!
Chapter Twenty-Four: Fifteen Minutes Of Fame




Two days later…


Alyssa awoke to the shrill sound of the phone ringing. She grabbed it punching the ‘talk’ button. “Hello?” She said rubbing her eyes.


“Is this Alyssa Monroe?” An unfamiliar voice began.


Alyssa sat up; “Yes this is she.”


“Hi this is Amanda Frohman from Star Magazine, I wanted to ask you a few questions.”


Star magazine? What would they want with her? “Ummm I’m not sure why you would want to talk to me, I’m not an actress or a model…”


“Yes but we noticed that you’re on the cover of a few of our competitors this morning and wanted to get an exclusive interview.”


Alyssa sat dumbfounded; “Umm I’m sorry I think you have the wrong number…” She said and hung up. Why would she be on the tabloids? The only thing famous in her life was Nick and his family…but she was merely just his girlfriend, probably one of the only normal girlfriends he’d ever had.


She turned over seeing Nick come in with two cups of hot coffee. “Oh you’re awake!”


She smiled and replied; “Yeah the phone woke me up. Why is Star Magazine calling to talk to me?”


He gave her an odd look, “I don’t know…” He said as the doorbell rang.


Curious Alyssa got up throwing on a pair of basketball shorts and a tee-shirt and walked down to the front door opening it thinking it was Kellie since they were supposed to be hanging out for the day. Her eyes widened then squinted from about 40 flashbulbs going off as about the same number of people yelled questions at her.


“How long have you been with Nick?” Said one nosey paparazzo


“What happened with Brandon? Did you sleep with him?” Said another.


Nick came down just in time and slammed the door shut on them saying “No comment…” He turned to her with a perplexed expression and rubbed her shoulder as he passed her to turn on the television to E!


“Welcome to E! News brief…I’m Giuliana Depandi…Seems as if Backstreet Boy Nick Carter and star of E!’s upcoming reality show House of Carters, is still dealing with his anger…this video was captured two days ago at the wedding of a friend of the crooner when he got into a fist fight with oddly enough Superman Returns star Brandon Routh. You can see the full video and pictures of the brawl at E! Online. Reportedly the fight broke out when Routh made an overt pass at Carter’s girlfriend, UCLA professor Alyssa Monroe. So the question is…who is this girl that’s got both a pop star and a movie star vying for her attention? Find out all this and more on E! News tonight at 7. For E! I’m Giuliana Depandi and that was your E! news brief.”


“Seems we need to fix the gate sooner than we thought…” Nick said getting a nervous look on his face. Their front gate had started to malfunction the day before they left, but didn’t think anything of it just leaving it open until it could be fixed.


Alyssa stood there in amazement, “Oh my God…” She managed to say.


Again the doorbell rang and Nick looked out the window seeing Kellie trying to make her way through the crowd. He opened the door and pulled her inside. “What the fuck is going on?” Kellie asked dumping all the tabloids she picked up at the convenience store. All of them with pictures of the fight, pictures of Alyssa and Nick with promises of exclusive stories inside.


Alyssa looked at the magazines in horror, reading the headlines.


“Backstreet Boy Fool For Love…”


“Superman vs. the Pop star…”


“Who is Alyssa Monroe?”



“Dear god…” Alyssa said collapsing to the couch breathing heavily. She could literally feel the anxiety rise within her. She looked at her hands they were shaking, along with every nerve-ending in her body.


Nick moved to sit next to her pulling her against him. He ran a hand through her hair trying his best to calm her.


Three days later…


Alyssa looked around the conference room seeing Nick’s managers, Johnny and Ken, his publicist Juliette, his on-tour bodyguard Frank who’d come in handy lately to shoo off pesky paparazzi.


Juliette looked through her papers and sighed a little before she began. “Well it seems as if this little media storm just keeps getting bigger the longer we stay quiet.”


Nick rolled his eyes a little and replied, “It hasn’t even been a week yet…”


Juliette set her jaw giving Nick a stern look, “That’s irrelevant at this point…the point is that you had a very public fight with an up and coming star. We need to spin this in our direction to at least salvage your image.”


Alyssa stayed quiet listening to everyone, but in reality she wanted to stand up and scream at everyone that it was her life, that she was not famous and just to butt out of her private life. However since dating Nick she knew that something like this could happen to thrust her into the spotlight momentarily and for nearly two years they had been relatively safe.


Nick rested his hand on her knee rubbing it gently as he looked over at Juliette. “I don’t think this is quite the crisis we’re making it out to be, we do one interview with People or US Weekly and then they’ll leave us alone.”


Alyssa gave him a wary look, she did not, repeat did NOT want to do an interview, she was purely behind the scenes, and she wasn’t an actress, a model, singer, or even an heiress. “Wait...” She spoke making everyone look at her. “I can’t do this…” She began. “I don’t want to be famous, I’m not an actor, a singer, or anything.”


Nick tightened his grip on her knee getting her to relax a little.


Juliette sighed, “Yes I understand that Alyssa, however you’re involved with a celebrity, we need to spin this in our favor that makes both Nick and you look good.”


Johnny gave her a sympathetic look, “I know you’re not used to this Ali, but we need to do this, if not to salvage your image in the fans eyes, for Nick’s.”


“Do I have to do an interview though? Why can’t Nick do all the talking?” She countered.


Nick took her hand and replied lowly, “We can try that, I’ll try to put all the heat off onto Brandon…”


Juliette nodded and added, “Maintain some class please Nick…we’re going to be having a big enough battle when you go on Howard Stern, and start doing more promotion for the show.”


He nodded in response getting a pensive expression on his face. After the meeting he and Alyssa walked out hand in hand to the car. She looked across the street and noticed the dozen or so photographers snapping away then dashing to their cars as Nick and Alyssa pulled out of the lot. “Hey let’s go out to lunch then go do a little shopping…” He suggested getting a less than enthusiastic sigh from the passenger seat. “Sugar, what’s wrong?” He asked placing his hand on her jean clad thigh.


“Just never thought I’d get sucked into the world of celebrity…I hate this world…what it does to people…” She remarked staring out the window. She turned to him and added, “What it does to you…I can’t stand the vanity of it all.”


He sighed and gripped her thigh gently, “Then why’d you move to LA?”


“Because of UCLA, I had no, and still have no intention of becoming a star.”


“I know but we got to just deal with it, they’ll leave us alone eventually.” He replied pulling up to Koi getting out as Alyssa did, handing his key to the valet they headed inside much to the dismay of the photographers that had followed them.


An hour later…


Alyssa giggled as they walked hand in hand up and down Robertson Avenue. She unlaced their fingers and put an arm around his waist hooking her finger into his belt loop as he smiled and slid his hand into her back pocket. They walked by Fred Segal and she stopped and looked at the clothes in the window, seeing a rather chic looking tailored suit that would be perfect for work.


“You like that?” He asked thinking it would look great on her.


She smiled a little trying her best not to notice the photographers tailing their every move, “Yeah I like how it’s businessy yet could look like I’m heading out to a date.” She explained.


He grinned, “We’ll hit it on the way back…” He said as they continued walking as he stopped in front of a jewelry store with diamond engagement rings in the window.


“What?” She asked looking at them then back to him.


“Nothing…” He said with a grin.


Alyssa gave him an odd look and chuckled a little, “What planning on proposing right here?”


Nick smirked and shook his head, “Nah...I’ll do it when you least expect it…”


“Oh so you’re planning it?” She countered releasing his side as they linked hands lacing their fingers.


He looked over arching an eyebrow, “Maybe…”


“Well no matter how or when you ask you know the answer.”


“And that would be?” He asked smiling confidently.


“Ask and you’ll find out!” She shot back.


Later that day…


Alyssa walked into the house carrying a couple of bags as Nick walked in carrying some as well. She dropped her bags and took his setting them on the couch and pulled him into a sultry kiss. Deepening it he backed them up to the wall behind the front door pinning her body between the wall and him.


Needing air they broke apart and he smiled brushing a few stray strands of her dark chocolate brown hair behind her ear letting his hand linger at her jaw line.


She grinned up at him placing her palms on his chest. “Thank you for today…”


He tipped her chin up more and gave her a sweet but short kiss. “I figured you’d need a distraction from all the insanity going on…I know you don’t want to be famous but I don’t think we have a choice in the matter anymore.”


She sighed and nodded, “I know, and I love you, more than anything, and if it means that I have to deal with this to keep you, then I’ll just have to grin and bear it.” She decided giving him a small grin.


“I promise you won’t regret this…” He said as he brushed his lips across her forehead just as the phone rang.


“Hold that thought…how about you draw up a bubble bath and I’ll meet you up there?” She said with a sly grin.


He smirked and nodded heading upstairs.


Alyssa grabbed the cordless answering it just before the machine took over. “Hello?” She said as she hoped to God that it wasn’t another magazine.


“Alyssa, hi this is Jennifer Dietrich.”


She couldn’t understand why at that exact moment she felt an enormous knot in her stomach. “Hey Jennifer what can I do for you today?”


Jennifer sighed making the knot grow larger. “The board has seen the tabloids and wants a meeting with you in two weeks to discuss things.” She said solemnly.


Immediately she felt like that knot had exploded causing her to feel like she’d been punched in the stomach. “Umm okay, is it bad?”


“Well they’re definitely not happy about it Alyssa, some are scandalized, others think it’s a great opportunity for press about the school.”


“And where do you sit on the issue?” Alyssa asked in all sincerity.


She sighed again, “I’ll be frank with you I’m a bit nervous about what this publicity will do to your job performance…but I’m on your side Alyssa, and I was the one that pushed for this meeting so that you can explain the events without any media interference.”


A few minutes later they rang off and Alyssa trudged upstairs, her good mood deflated and her amazing day with Nick was practically ruined by one stupid phone call….one that held the fate of her entire career.


She walked upstairs seeing the candles lit and the lights low leading up to the bathroom. She walked inside and saw the bubble bath fully drawn and her favorite candles burning all around the sunken roman-style tub.


Nick came walking back in, wearing just his boxers and looked up smiling at her only to let his face fall when he saw the saddened expression on her own.


“Baby what’s wrong?”


Alyssa looked up her eyes gleaming with tears threatening to escape. “I may lose my job over this…”


“What? The tabloid thing?”


She shook her head and moved into his arms laying her forehead against his collarbone, “They want to meet with me to discuss it in two weeks…”


He held her tighter to him and took a deep breath. “Anything I can do?”


“Just be with me…” She replied softly.


He pulled back and reached for the hem of her shirt lifting it up and over her head as she kicked off her shoes and undid her jeans slipping them off. Smirking a little he pulled her to him unhooking her bra in the process making her roll her eyes and chuckle at him. After getting undressed Nick went in the tub letting Alyssa take off her makeup and earrings and pile her hair up on top of her head. He relaxed back into the tub leaning his head back and closed his eyes only cracking them slightly to spy Alyssa sinking into the tub with a satisfied sigh. He smirked slightly and she rolled her eyes.


“Pervert.”


He snorted at her and pulled her across the large tub to sit on his legs. She put her arms around his neck and laid her head on his shoulder. “Hey come on it’s not like you’re getting fired…” He suggested trying to cheer her up.


She snickered a little, “Yeah but I bet they’re going to try to…”


Nick sighed and tipped her chin up, “No thinking about it right now okay? Don’t let everything else ruin the moment I was trying to make here.”


She grinned a little in response.


“HA! There’s that grin!”


“Why are you so good to me…? I mean come on after all we’ve been through. You’re still here…”


He looked in her eyes so full of concern, he noticed how every once in a while she’d ask him a question like that. It was almost as if she was uncertain that he did intend on spending the rest of his life with her. “Why am I good to you? Hmm let’s see there’s the fact that you were there every time I needed someone, even through a letter or on the phone, you were there…when AJ went into rehab…”


“And I tried to commit suicide let’s not forget that…” Alyssa said getting a dark look.


He kissed her temple and wrapped his arms around her, “Yes, and I was there for you, like you were there when my family fell apart.”


“More like imploded.”


“Or exploded depending on how you look at it…” He joked back. “But still… you were there, whether I wanted you to be or not, you were there when you caught Paris cheating on me…”


“That was a fluke… I was in Sydney just for the soccer tournament, didn’t expect to see her coming out of his room. Hell I had no idea they were even staying in the same hotel.”


“I know but still you had the guts to come and tell me straight out, my other friends wouldn’t have done that. The guys would have but you know I never listen to them.”


“Which you should, at least listen to Alex, he’s been in darker places than you darlin’.”


He sighed, “Believe me I know…I was there when he was crashing… Anyways back to my point…You’ve been there with me through practically everything. The only honest voice a lot of the time besides the fellas… And honestly…the only one I wanted to hear…”


She gave him an odd expression. “Care to elaborate?”


“You don’t know how many times your advice and the guys’ were frighteningly similar. But you put this twist to it, that made it seem like you weren’t telling me what to do, but that I ought to think about it.”


“You still didn’t listen…”


“True, but I thought about it though…I love you. I always did, even when you were just my sister’s friend I did love you…although it’s changed quite a bit since then, from friendship to…” He paused for a moment trying to find the proper term.


“Together?”


“No it’s more than that…we’re happy right? We’re not just together, it’s almost like we’ve changed because we’ve been with each other.”


She moved her head back a little considering him for a moment. “Like what?”


“When was the last time you thought about doing something, that in no way shape or form involved me?” He asked.


She bit her lower lip getting a pensive expression on her face, “Shit…I think the last time was right before I turned 21…”


“See! It’s almost as if we’re…”


“What the same person?” Alyssa joked with a sarcastic grin.


Nick rolled his eyes and chuckled a little, “No but pretty fucking close. I mean come on you were noticing it months ago when you said we should slow down. No one says one name without the other in the same sentence.”


She nodded, “Now do you see what was freaking me out back then?”


He shook his head ‘yes’, “And yeah it’s pretty fucking intimidating. But…you know what else it is…” He replied as he shifted her to straddle his thighs.


She smirked knowing what he was getting at… “What?” She asked innocently.


“It’s pretty fucking amazing…” He replied pulling her closer as she leaned down to kiss him.