- Text Size +
Alana waved goodbye to Baylee and Elizabeth as they went scurrying out into the hospital hallway, demanding that Elizabeth's mother hurry up as well. The youngsters were going down to the cafeteria for breakfast before heading to the outside playground of the hospital to play for awhile. Alana had promised to take them, but Elizabeth's mother had declined the offer quite quickly, insisting that she stay with Nick. Elizabeth and Baylee had already been telling her that Alana was falling in love with Nick. It was an absurd notion and Alana had fought a groan when Elizabeth's mother had said as much. But, glancing toward the man slumbering on the extra bed, she truly did entertain the notion of love. He had gone beyond the distance with her.

Noticing the way he curled onto his side, Alana moved away from Baylee's hospital bed and stood at his bedside. She had never had the pleasure of snuggling against him for a long period of time. She was always quick to get away from him after spending a night with him. Though only one night had been in her bed. Biting down on her bottom lip, Alana slipped beneath the covers beside him. Spooning herself against him, she carefully bunched his blue t-shirt over his shoulders, displaying his sleek back. She admired his tattoos as he slept peacefully, tracing her fingertips lightly over 'Kaos' inked down his spine.

"Are you trying to seduce me in m'sleep?" Nick mumbled against the pillow, his body shivering at her light touch. Cracking one eye, he groaned at the bright light streaming through the window, certain he had just fallen asleep.

"Like it would take much," Alana murmured as her fingers moved over the musical note on his right shoulder blade. A small smile played with her lips as she entertained the idea of tracing the outlines with the tip of her tongue. Now that would be seducing. "…I just wanted to see your tattoos… I've never looked at them…"

"Oh…" Burying his face against the pillow one more, Nick released a blissful sigh. His skin tingled where her fingers touched him lightly, and it was all he could do to keep from rolling over to seduce her. Letting his breath out in a hiss, he reached beneath the sheet covering his lower half to adjust himself quickly, hoping she wouldn't notice.

"You can go back to sleep," Alana offered as she traced her fingers over the half moon next, ignoring the movement of his hand beneath the sheet. She knew he was fighting embarrassment by the way his ears grew red. So, she said nothing as she brought her legs up to hug the curve of his backside, brushing her bare feet along his calf.

"Kind of hard to do that now," he murmured, sliding his hand back to rest on her thigh. "Did you sleep good? Bay's one hell of a kicker--"

"I think I've got enough bruises to make a complaint at the police department, but I sacrificed myself for Lizzie, so it was worth it," Alana confided as she wrapped her arms around him, having finished admiring the tattoos on his back. Exhaling a soft sigh as she pressed her forehead against his bare back, she found her heart fluttering as she confessed her heart's secrets. "But I probably would have been happier sleeping with you…"

"I don't know… I'm a pretty bad kicker too," Nick mused softly, twining his fingers with hers, smiling at her closeness. "But then again, I'd kiss wherever I kicked…"

"Well, I toss and turn, so I'd suspect that you'd never even find my body to kick it…"

"I'm sure I could pin you down eventually," Nick murmured, rolling over to face her. "Good morning, Beautiful," he whispered, looking into her eyes for a moment before catching her lips in a gentle kiss.

"Nickalicious…" Alana cooed in surprise as she felt the softness of his lips against hers. A shiver ripped through her spine as warmth flooded her body. Reaching to cup his face within her hands, she greeted him with a soft passion of thanks. "I'm hardly beautiful, but thank you."

"Well, the last time I called you Baby I got kicked in the ass, so I figured Beautiful was the way to go," he explained, winding his arms around her waist to pull her closer. Smiling slightly when she trembled next to him, he offered her another kiss, letting his fingers dip beneath the shirt she wore to gently caress her soft skin. "Did you think anymore about going to the Bahamas with us?"

"I thought you were just kidding…" Alana admitted softly, reaching to draw the covers over their bodies so they were nestled in cozy warmth. Not that she needed the blankets to remain warm with Nick's arms wrapped around her. She loved the feeling of him holding her. It made her feel like she was special for once in her life. Like she could do no wrong. That she wasn't a failure.

"I want you to come with us," Nick murmured, pressing several soft kisses to her neck before letting his head rest next to hers. Smiling, he pulled her leg over his, reveling in the feeling of her body pressed just so perfectly against his. When she was next to him he felt complete, as though nothing could go wrong, ever. "Brian's going to see if Lizzie can come down, too, so it'll be a nice big family type vacation…"

"So, you want me to be the babysitter?" Alana guessed, searching his dark indigo eyes for a sense of what he truly wanted. Lazily running her foot against his bare calf again, she suddenly wondered if he had meant what he said at the hospital concert. If he really did love her or if it had been just the passion of the song? Would she have said it back if he meant it?

"Only if you consider me a baby…"

"So, I'm your guardian for the trip? Making sure you don't untie a couple of bikini strings? …Is Howie going to be there pressing me to sign under his record label?"

"No, Howie's not going to be there… And the only bikini strings I'll be interested in untying are yours," Nick promised. "Please? You can spend your days doing whatever you want. Lazing around in bed eating chocolate and reading sexy books… Anything…"

"I don't read sexy books…" Alana laughed softly, though her thoughts turned serious as she brushed her hand over his thick bicep. She knew that, underneath it all, she truly did need a vacation. A chance to get away from Kentucky and the past she was trying so hard to forget. A chance to breathe again. And she had never seen an ocean before. But, it just wasn't possible. "…I don't have the kind of money to spring for an expensive vacation to the Bahamas, Nick…"

"We'll take care of it, Alana… All you have to do is come, we'll take care of everything else," Nick murmured.

"I couldn't possibly let you pay for--"

"Then you can pay me back," Nick interrupted. "But Brian wants you to come so he can show his thanks for helping so much with Baylee… And I want you to come because--"

"I was just doing my job taking care of Baylee. There is no need for thanks."

"Then come to be with me?"

"Nick… I just… And you…" Alana could hardly express herself as the shock of his request melted into her system. He was pleading with her to be with him when things were starting to end. He should be heading back to Florida just as Baylee was getting discharged. But he wanted to stay... "To be with you?"

"If you want?" Nick inquired softly. He had thought it was a wonderful idea when he'd thought of it, but now… He realized she might not want to spend anymore time with him. That she may have considered the past weeks fun, but didn't want to pursue anything more. And that thought scared him. "I mean… If you don't, that's okay, I just thought…"

"Well I just thought that you'd be leaving… That you wouldn't want to… With me… That you were some kind of… I guess your reputation proceeds you, too…" Alana bit down hard on her bottom lip as she withdrew her leg from his, pulling out of his embrace. "If Brian wants me to… I mean… I don't know…"

"Alana… I love you--"

"Nick…" Alana interrupted as her heart leapt to her throat and a sharp gasp of air caught against her lungs. The words resounded in her mind and before she could anticipate her needs, she found herself sitting on the floor beside the bed. Tugging at her long, strawberry locks, she groaned. "I just… God, what did you say?"

Heaving a soft sigh, Nick moved to sit next to her, wincing when she drew away from him. "I said I love you, Alana…"

"God, Nick…" Alana trailed, rubbing the back of her neck as she squeezed her eyes shut. This is why she had kept herself at a distance with the male persuasion. She didn't want to get caught in the middle of a romantic affair where feelings were… She had promised herself… Nick was making such a chaotic mess of her life…

"Is it wrong?" Nick questioned softly, pulling his knees to his chest so he could rest his arms on them. Leaning his head back against the side of the bed, he stared at the ceiling. "I'm sorry…"

"No, it's not wrong and you don't have to be sorry--"

"Then why do you pull away from me when I tell you? Why do you look like a deer caught in the headlights?" Sighing, Nick ran his hands down his face, wondering how he always managed to screw things up around her. "I won't say it anymore, okay? At least, not till you tell me you're ready to hear it…"

"This is the first time that you've told me and I was surprised… And I doubt you even know what a deer caught in headlights looks like, Surfer Boy," Alana attempted to tease, resting a hand on his knee. But when he didn't share her smile, she sighed softly with a pained expression. She glanced down to the ring resting on her silver chain, shaking her head with disbelief. "Who decided to go to the Bahamas?"

"Brian wanted to take Bay on a vacation for a while… He loves the beach, so Brian decided to go all out," Nick explained softly, covering her hand with his. Lifting her fingers to his lips for a soft kiss, he glanced at her. "And he invited me, and was all for it when I asked if you could come along… And this isn't he first time I've told you I love you--"

"I chalked the other one up to the passion of singing…" Alana interrupted with a soft trail, hating the way her body reacted to the sweetness of his kisses. She was falling for him faster than she had ever anticipated. She had to lock her heart up tighter if she ever wanted to survive.

"Oh… Well… How about we just keep going like we have, then? And for that to happen, you have to agree to come to the Bahamas with me so that I can let you see what a wonderful guy I am--"

"I already know you're a wonderful guy, Nickalicious, honest. And I like you a lot--"

"That's the part I have to work on," Nick interrupted with a smile, kissing her fingers again.

"You're not mad at me, are you? Because I didn't--"

"I'm not mad at you, Beautiful. I promise," Nick murmured. "Now, say you'll go with me? Please?"

"I'm going to have to pay you back all that money."

"Just a few bucks here and there when you have extra…"

"More than just a few bucks, Nick."

"When's your birthday?"

"May Twenty-first… Why?"

"Then consider the trip to the Bahamas your birthday present," Nick insisted. When she drew up to argue, he held up a hand to silence her. "From Brian, Baylee, Happy Hands and me, okay? And if that's too much, well… Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas for the next three years."

"I can't even imagine you three sticking around for three years…"

"As much as we love you, do you honestly think we could just walk away?" Nick questioned softly, pulling her into his embrace. "Do you honestly think that little Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell is going to just up and forget about you? That I could just let you go?"

"I just figured that if my family can't even tolerate me…" Alana shook her head as she shifted into his arms. Burying her face into his chest as she shuddered, she felt a wave of tears start to wash over her. Nick was far too endearing to her. He knew just what to say to make her feel better. Even if he was the one to start the trouble. She just wanted held for a moment. To know she was safe in his arms if no where else.

"Your family is obviously a bunch of baboons who don't know a good thing when they see it," Nick murmured softly against her hair. Holding her close, he felt his chest tighten with pain when she shuddered again. "It's okay, Beautiful…"

"If you want me to go to the Bahamas with you, then I will," she promised as her fingers curled into his t-shirt. Tears wetted her face, though she refused to show him as she tucked her head underneath his chin. She felt so small and insignificant at that point in her life; it seemed as if Nick was the only one who understood her. Somewhat.

*~*~*

Bursting into Baylee's hospital room, Brian skidded to a stop when he saw the couple snuggled close together in the bed. Alana's head rested on Nick's shoulder, resting quietly as Nick created an elaborate design with Baylee's Legos. Grunting when Natalie walked straight into his back, he stepped aside, motioning for her to look at the two on the bed. Glancing around the room, he smiled when he saw Baylee had claimed the extra bed, curled up with George and Simba as he napped. "Put the kid to sleep, huh, Frack?"

"I'm actually that boring, Frick," Nick agreed as he craned his neck toward Alana. They had spent most of the morning curled up together in a peaceful silence. Then Baylee had romped into the room and demanded Alana's attention. After hours of playing and then watching a movie, Baylee had drifted into a long nap. Alana had then curled up with Nick on the opposite bed, making small conversation till she too drifted. "She's been like that for hours. I'm just glad she ain't drooling… Kind of would have made her less beautiful in my eyes… Okay, so not really, but a damp shoulder is just disgusting--"

"One word from you about drooling, Bumpkin, and you're dead," Natalie warned with a faint blush to her cheeks as she moved to settle on the couch. When Brian's eyes met hers she felt her blush deepen, grinning at his knowing look. Pulling one leg under her, she leaned to retrieve her laptop to type up an update that Baylee would be leaving the hospital soon.

"So, you two finally laid each other?" Nick guessed, glancing toward Brian with a wicked grin. It didn't take much to realize that something between the two flittering lovebirds had changed. Especially with that easy, breezy grin sweeping over Brian's facial features and the fluid movement in his walk. All the tension had been swept away from his body.

Brian sputtered for a moment, quickly shaking his head. "Nick!"

"That'd be a yes," Alana murmured softly as she shifted against Nick, resting her head within his lap as she stretched indolently.

"I'm not having this conversation," Brian insisted, feeling his cheeks flame slightly when Natalie snickered from behind the laptop.

"She rocked his world," Alana concluded as she folded her hands over her abdomen, glancing up at Nick with a small smile.

"Alana!" Natalie squeaked, slapping the laptop shut quickly. "I did not--"

"'Parently, he rocked her world too," Nick murmured to Alana with a chuckle.

"It was a mutual rocking," Alana agreed. "But if we had been at my house last night, they wouldn't have had a clue what true ecstasy was. Their rocking would have been a mere quiver."

"Well… I know I should agree with you on that, but… You've got to put into consideration the fact that they've been avoiding any type of quivering for the past nine years. Add to that the fact that Happy Hands is-or should I say was?-a virgin, and the fact that Brian's been living like a monk for the past three years…" Nick trailed thoughtfully, ignoring the utter embarrassment on his friend's face. "It's a damn wonder we didn't feel the aftershocks here!"

"Deflowering a virgin is less pleasing then everyone makes it out to be. Pain, blood, mess, and walking funny afterwards…" Alana trailed as she moved to sit up beside Nick. Stretching once more, she noticed how dark cherry the couple's cheeks were and had to laugh. "I'm glad y'all had such a nice night. Honestly. That tension was just nuts…"

"I didn't walk funny afterwards," Natalie defended with a glance at Brian. "…Did I?"

"Frick's strutting," Nick announced with a laugh as the older man crossed the room. "Ain't seen you strut like that since that time you groped Happy Hands on the bus and thought it was Leigh--"

"Would you shut up, Frack?" Brian groaned as he hurled the nearest object at Nick's head.

Catching the paperback book before it made contact, Nick grinned from ear to ear. "Alright, alright… Sheesh…"

"Wait, wait. I want to hear about this groping," Alana insisted.

Natalie stared at Brian. "You groped me?! When?!"

"Well, it couldn't have been that good if she ain't recalling the information," Alana sighed dejectedly, moving to climb out of the bed to gather her things.

Brian groaned, glaring at Nick for bringing it up. "It was years ago, the bus was passing through a tunnel, I thought you were Leigh, you walked past, and I pulled you down--"

"Oh. My. God. That was you?! I thought it was AJ!"

"Don't let her fool you, Sex Kitten. She just wants me for my body and I wasn't even remotely interested in having her. Especially when I met you," AJ announced as he sauntered into the room with a single deep purple rose for Alana, having heard the entire conversation. "Pull her into my lap… Please…"

"Like you weren't the one who gave me my first body shot when I turned twenty-one," Natalie muttered, rolling her eyes.

Nick snorted, glaring at the rose as AJ brought it over to the bed. "Gee, Aje, you shouldn't have… Really, it can't go anywhere. You have a girlfriend, I'm falling in love with someone else, and think about it… Would society accept us as a couple?"

"If I can't even accept us as a couple, Nicky, I doubt society would be for it, either. Besides, I was drunk and needed the money when I was with you. Also, I dumped my girlfriend a few days ago and this rose is for the beautiful creature climbing out of your bed. I was hoping she'd take me for a ride on her ATV's today," AJ explained with wicked smile, handing the rose to Alana as he affectionately kissed her cheeks.

"Thanks, AJ," Alana answered, kissing his cheek as an expression of gratefulness. "And, yeah, if you want to swing by my house, I'll take you out--"

"No deal, she's taking me out--"

"You dumped Kaci?" Natalie interrupted with a gasp.

"Like that should come as a shock," Brian chuckled.

"I'm not shocked. More like relieved. Do you know how much money I had down that they'd break up before summer?" Natalie questioned. "Hallelujah, that means I got--"

"You were betting on the longevity of my relationship?" AJ questioned in surprise.

"Don't look so offended," Brian laughed. "That's money she's going to be spending to go to the Bahamas."

"You little… And you… Bahamas? We're going to the Bahamas?" AJ questioned with a grin of hopefulness.

Nick scowled, tugging Alana back onto the bed so he could hold her. "No… We're not going anywhere. Brian, Happy Hands, Bay, Alana and I are--"

"You're welcome to come," Natalie piped up with a grin. "The more the merrier!"

"Can I room with Alana?" AJ questioned as Nick muttered a foul string of curses into the back of Alana's ironed locks. Not that AJ much cared about Nick's perturbed nature as he grinned excitedly toward Alana. "The Bahamas is so fucking beautiful, Al. We'll have a blast. I'll take you out on the jet-skis, we'll do some snorkeling, they even have parasailing and sailing. Oh! And the clubbing will be so fucking awesome--"

"And you have to go snorkeling in the reefs," Natalie added with excitement, ignoring the look of rage Nick sent her as she hopped to her feet.

"Hell yes!" AJ insisted as he looked to Alana. "And I'll take you out shopping for everything you need on the trip."

"I've never been to a beach in my life," Alana admitted, smiling at the enthusiasm exuding from AJ's electrifying personality.

"Then we should go shopping now!" AJ insisted. "What we can't get around here, we can order online and have it all waiting for us when we get there--"

"Oh! Let's go!" Natalie chirped with excitement, turning to give Brian a hopeful look. "You don't mind, do you, Bumpkin?"

"Not at all," Brian chuckled, reaching into his wallet. "Which credit card do you want?"

Alana frowned as AJ pulled her up from Nick's arms. "Wait, I don't have the money to do all this shopping--"

"Brian's treat," Natalie informed her with a smile, leaning to kiss Brian gently as she accepted his card.

"I've got it," AJ insisted with a grin.

"There is no way on God's green Earth that I'm letting Brian or AJ buy me things," Alana immediately declined as AJ tossed her sneakers onto the bed. Then, without warning, he threw her over his shoulder to tie the shoes onto her feet. "AJ!"

"Come on, the day's wasting away and we have tons of stuff to buy!" AJ informed her.

"Give Bay-Bee tons of kisses for me, okay?" Natalie requested softly, kissing Brian once more. "And I'll pick him up a little something for the trip--"

"Have fun," Brian agreed as he caught the back of her neck to hold her for a moment longer, savoring the taste of her lips. "And don't be gone too long. I need you."

"I need you more," she promised softly with a smile, smoothing her hand over his cheek.

"Oh gag me with a freaking spoon," AJ groaned, turning towards the door. "Let's go!"

"So… I really don't get a say in this?" Alana questioned in shock as she remained perched over AJ's shoulder, watching Natalie scoop up her purse before leaning to kiss Brian once more.

"Do you honestly think we'll listen?" AJ returned.

"Now wait a damn minute," Nick growled suddenly, sitting straight up in the bed to scowl at Natalie. "If anyone's going to pay for Alana's things, it'll be me--"

"Little late for that, Son," AJ chuckled as he affectionately patted Alana's backside, causing her to roll her eyes playfully. "Besides, why should you be paying for things you ain't going to see? You'll be too busy with Snot-Face."

"That's it--"

"See you later, B!" AJ hollered, sauntering into the hallway with Alana on his shoulder and Natalie chattering excitedly behind him.

"Goddamnit," Nick hissed, knocking his Legos to the floor with a snarl. Glaring at Brian, he launched out of bed. "Your girlfriend is so dead--"

Brian's eyes went wide in shock as he pulled his feet up to keep Legos from pelting his legs. "What did she do?!"

"She invited that jackass to the Bahamas, that's what she did!"

"You never minded AJ coming along on vacations before--"

"I never had someone as wonderful as Alana before--"

"Had? What do you have with Alana?" Brian interrupted with honest surprise. "You and AJ never minded passing girls between each other before… Hell, I thought your guys' black books were stapled together…"

"Because, damnit, I love her!"

"Holy Moley, Nick…"

"…I do, okay? She means everything to me--"

"Then why did you let her go shopping with AJ?"

"Did it look like I had a choice? Between Happy Hands and Man Whore I couldn't get a word in!"

"It's not like AJ's going to push the moves on her in the mall…" Brian trailed, though his expression looked quite unconvincing as he glanced up to Nick. "…You've never been so serious about a woman before, Nick…"

"Because I've never felt this way about a woman before--" Nick cut off with a whine when Brian's words sunk in. "Goddamnit! Later, B--"

"Where are you going?! It isn't like he's going to pull her into a changing room for a quick-Why are you running so damn fast?!"