- Text Size +
"Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit!" Alana heaved in a slightly squealing mantra as she raced along her spacious, green acres of land toward her personal lake nestled underneath a shady patch of beautiful trees. Usually, she would relish in the beauty of her surroundings, but knew that AJ was hot on her heels. When she had been leaving Brian's home, AJ had cornered her before she could climb into her car, inviting himself back to her home. She had hoped just to have a quiet evening alone, but AJ's Cheshire smile had been contagious. She enjoyed his company and the way he made her laugh. So she had complied. Though, she now contemplated her decision as she hurried toward her lake, eying the long swing rope she had attached to a sturdy tree branch some years ago. She had invited him swimming so they had changed into their bathing suits. But he couldn't resist turning on some music in attempts to lure her close. She pretended to fall into his web of sensual temptation, dancing close as she rolled her hips against him. Then, without warning, she shucked his trunks to the floor and playfully tripped him. Now she was racing for her life. So, without hesitation, she leaped onto the rope, swinging her out into the very center of the lake before release, plunging into the cool waters.

"Cannonball!" AJ shrieked as he ran to the very edge of the high bank. Immediately leaping into the air, he released a loud cry, sailing through the air before plummeting into the center of the lake. The cold water made him startle, and as he rolled gently to push his body back to the surface his foot brushed against Alana. They surfaced at the same time, both panting with exertion. "Don't ever do that again!" he growled, splashing her playfully.

"Do what?" Alana laughed as she turned away from the heavy splashes, waiting for him to cease fire. When his arms seemed to tire, Alana sprang out of the water and onto his shoulders, pushing him down into the water.

Holding his breath, AJ wriggled his body, placing one foot against her hip to push her away. When she fell backwards with a splash, he brought his head out of the water, grinning. Diving towards her, he grabbed the side tie of her bikini bottoms, laughing out loud when she squirmed away. "Don't do that," he explained as her bikini bottom slid off her legs, drifting in the water.

"Alex-fucking-ander!" Alana gasped in horror as she glanced toward him and her bikini bottoms floating in the soft undercurrent of their movements. She immediately recognized the devilish streak darkening his sepia eyes, knowing it was a race to her bottoms as she dove.

Jerking on the string that was still wrapped around his finger, AJ shouted in triumph when he had the bottoms in his hand. Quickly stuffing them into the waistband of his trunks, he idly swam away as Alana released a thick stream of curses. "Hey! If you want 'em, come and get 'em!"

"And put my hand in crab-fest?!" Alana growled, slapping her hands against the top of the water to elicit a splash. "I'm at least going to need butter and a shell cracker before that stunt!"

"I'm clean, Babe! Checked it all out after I had a shave--"

"You mean jerked it all out after you had a shave--"

"Don't sound so depressed, I thought about you," AJ promised with a wicked grin.

"No wonder I was itchy…" Alana teased, swimming toward the deepest portion of the lake.

"I'll give you a nice long scratch," AJ offered, staying where he was. Tilting his head to one side, he watched her body glide through the water, smirking. "Oh, Al? …Nice ass…"

"You think so?" Alana paused, turning around to tread lightly within the water, knowing her cheeks were already aflame with embarrassment. "…'Cause I don't think I have much of one. My pants are always sliding down--"

"What's the point of having more than a handful?"

"I don't even have a handful…"

"Bet you do…"

Alana offered a small smirk. "Bet you'll never find out."

"Oh, I will," AJ promised, retrieving her bikini bottoms. Twirling them around his finger, he slung them at her.

"Thanks!" Alana breathed as she caught the bottoms with ease, hurriedly submersing them in the water. Biting her bottom lip, she closed her eyes in complete concentration as she pulled them back onto her body and making sure to secure them in tight knots. Satisfied with her job, she opened her eyes only to find AJ waiting in front of her. "Maybe I should nibble on your ear more often."

"What song are you going to do for your demo?" he questioned abruptly, reaching to push the wet locks of hair from her face.

"I told Howie that I wanted to goof around with Unfaithful by Rihanna," Alana answered with a soft smile of thanks at his caring nature. Reaching to loop her arms around his neck as she moved to hang on his back, she allowed him to swim for the both of them. "He said he'd get Natalie to lay down the piano today so I can record tomorrow…"

"Awesome," AJ approved, pausing to tread water for a moment. "He mentioned getting her down in B's studio today, but he didn't say what song… I think he's going to get her to lay down the backing vocals too. Not that she's a good singer, but she passes for that sort of thing, you know?"

"I guess?" Alana agreed, though there was lingering of a questioning tone. She supposed she was just grateful that Howie was getting Natalie's input early in the chance that she wouldn't be loitering when Alana was recording. Their last conversation had gone quite sour and Alana was still hurt by Natalie's coarse nature in handling the death of her child. Not to mention she was slightly unnerved to stumble upon Natalie suggesting that she had given Nick a "toe-curling orgasm," joking aside.

"What? What'd I say?" AJ questioned, craning his head back to look at her. "You and Nat have a catfight over the Nick shit?"

"Hardly a catfight," Alana snorted as she slid from his back, reaching for the rope that dangled over the lake. "It just kind of unnerves me when she mentions giving him a toe-curling orgasm… Even if she's joking… Kind of like Nick has an aneurysm whenever I even mention your name--"

"He does?" AJ inquired with a gleeful laugh. Seeing the seriousness of her expression, however, his laugh quickly died into a soft groan. "You don't have anything to worry about, Al… That drunken sex was a one time thing, trust me--"

"You know about it?" Alana exclaimed, pulling herself out of the water and onto the rope with ease. "Oh, who the Hell am I kidding? You probably got the video tape and photographs."

"God, no… And the only reason I know about it is 'cause Nick called me the next morning telling me that he had completely fucked up - no pun intended - and half of what he told me I didn't get, 'cause he was tossing his cookies at the same time…"

Alana glanced at AJ skeptically as she wrapped her legs tightly around the rope, allowing AJ to reach up and swing her slightly. "Because of all the alcohol in his system or because he woke up next to Natalie? 'Cause, she is a gorgeous creature and--"

"Oh my god, you're jealous," AJ breathed in surprise. "You're jealous of Natalie? That scrawny toothpick with the annoying giggles and a head full of air? Why?!"

"I really don't want to talk about it," Alana mumbled, knowing then she'd have to admit to her insecurities. Though, she was swayed when AJ jerked the rope from beneath her. "She ain't no scrawny toothpick, AJ. God, she posed for Playboy. Someone sought her out and begged for her to pose nude, because she's beautiful. Then she can play the piano like nobody's business. And Baylee adores her. Brian and Howie worship the ground she walks on. And… She's been with Nick… It's like having some big sister breathing down your throat, doing everything you want to do first… I don't know--"

"Is she a bitch about it?" AJ questioned, idly swinging the rope again. "I mean… Hell, if she rubbed it in your face that she'd done all that, I'd be upset too. But Nat's… She's… Not like that, Al. You know? Even the Playboy jig she did, I heard her talking to B the other day about it. It's just something she did to help pay for college--"

"I'm not upset with her about that," Alana disagreed as she turned to hang upside down on the rope, meeting AJ's gaze. "I ain't holding those things against her, either. I'm happy that she's confident enough to pose for Playboy. And I'm grateful that she's playing the piano for the demo. She's a wonderful person. Nice. Exuberant. A bit ditzy, but in an adorable manner. I'm glad to call her my friend. The only thing I really hate is knowing about her and Nick, but I recognize that it was a mistake between both of them. But, knowing they're best friends and seeing them interact kind of gives me this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like I ain't good enough. And what happened between us the other day is something completely different that has to do with my past. Something that she's never going to understand and that much is apparent."

"She can be a bitch when she doesn't understand," AJ commented, tugging playfully on her hair. "But seriously? Even though sometimes I hate his guts and just know that I could make you a million times happier than he does, Nick really… Loves you…"

Alana's features softened into a look of awe as she stilled on the swaying rope. "How do you know?"

"Do you know how many times I tried to veer his attention from you with women in bikinis when we were in the Bahamas? He didn't even bat a fucking eye at them. Looked me right in the eye and said that no one could ever compare to you. That you make him feel things he's never felt before--"

"Thanks, AJ," Alana murmured, halting his defense of Nick as her heart warmed at the truthfulness to AJ's raspy voice. Untwining her legs from the rope, she dove into the water and hurriedly kicked toward the surface to find AJ waiting impatiently. Grinning, she leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Though I probably should pop you for trying to get Nick's attention away from me."

"You can't blame a guy for trying, Al," AJ whined softly in defense, draping an arm over her shoulder.

"So that's why you were pointing out girls to Nick…" Alana sang with a sudden realization, tucking her face close against the side of his face, her soft breath tickling his ear.

"Maybe… Tell the truth, if you'd met me before you met him, would you have gone out with me?"

"Would you have asked me out?" she inquired as she wrapped both arms around his neck.

"Once I made sure you didn't have some hulking wrestler of an ex, sure," AJ teased, kissing her cheek. "Seriously, yeah, I would have…"

"There's no doubt in my mind that I would have said yes," she promised, pulling back so she could express the sincerity of her statement. Her deep teal eyes lightened significantly into a light, glistening green as she smiled at him. "You're hysterical and so soulful and let's face it… Your voice is just utterly alluring…"

"It's not much," AJ shrugged, unconsciously toying with her hair. "I'm nothing compared to Nick, really. He's tall and blonde and a heartthrob and has everything going for him… And I'm the scrawny, balding, tattooed recovering alcoholic. I'm the one who has to sometimes pretend that I'm okay, that things are going great, 'cause if I don't, and admit that I some nights I cry myself to sleep over things I can't change that people will get upset with me…"

"AJ…" Alana sighed softly, not knowing how she could accurately assuage his insecurities with mere words. To tell him that he was a handsome man with an infectious personality and that Nick also had the same insecurities. But to say so would demean his words and belittle his feelings. Lost for a moment, Alana cupped her hands against the back of his neck, pulling him toward her. Before she could rationalize her actions, she brushed her lips against his. It was a soft kiss to start, just a mere taste of his lips, but her tongue probed further, caressing his lips for means of entrance. And when they parted, she pressed harder as her tongue coaxed his into a sensuous dance.

"Good God," AJ gasped into her mouth, his fingers tightening gently in her hair. Drawing her tongue into his mouth, he traced it with the very tip of his before suckling gently. It had been too long, he decided as her leg curled around his waist, since a woman had kissed him so thoroughly.

"You're a great guy, AJ," Alana mumbled softly as she nibbled at his tongue before pulling away. When he whined with disappointment, she leaned to catch his bottom lip into her mouth. Drawing him closer, she suckled his bottom lip and nibbled affectionately.

"You're greater," AJ decided, pulling her closer. A mistake, he realized when her body tensed slightly. The passion she had awakened in him had quickly flooded his body, the most telltale evidence of it pressing against her. "Shit, I’m sorry--"

"No, me," Alana fumbled as she pulled away from his body, wrapping her arms around her chest to conceal the torturous nipple peaks AJ's smoldering kiss had triggered. She blushed furiously as she dropped her gaze to the water, fighting a shudder of delight, knowing she was in the wrong. "I'm sorry, AJ--"

"No, no, it's me," AJ argued softly, biting back a moan when he felt her tremble. Nick would kill him, he was certain, if he dared to touch her. But what a way to go… No, he couldn't do that. Drawing in a deep breath, he offered her a grin. "Hell, if I'd known pouring my heart out would get that kind of reaction, I would have done it the first day I met you…"

Alana seemed to blush harder at his statement, reaching with one hand to tuck the fallen curls behind her ears, still trying to conceal her sensitive breasts from his view. "AJ--"

"Can I see what you're trying to hide from me? Just a quick peek to tide me while I handle my business later on?"

"Are you sure you don't want me to…help? Kind of like you raise it, you jerk it?" Alana offered meekly, feeling guilty for causing him a potentially painful erection.

"Good God, Al," AJ whined softly, cursing the imaginary angel on his shoulder that urged him to do the right thing. Which meant not taking her up on her offer. Not potentially causing a rift in her relationship with one of his best friends. "I really want to tell you to go for it--"

"But you're a gentleman and can't do that to Nick," Alana finished easily, offering him a sad smile as he shifted uncomfortably within the cool water. Glancing toward the many acres leading back to her home, she was satisfied that they were truly alone. Stepping toward him, she offered a light kiss to his lips before undoing the strings of her bikini top, allowing it to slide away from her delectable form. Taking one of his hands into her own, she folded them on her heart for a moment before allowing his fingers to gently outline the soft curve of her breast. "I can at least give you a peep show to tide you over?"

"Sweet fuck," AJ whispered, cupping his palms beneath her breasts. Lifting his gaze to her eyes, he slowly traced the hardened peak of her nipples with the tips of his thumbs. Feeling her shudder again, he smiled slowly before leaning close to offer a gentle kiss.

"If you ever tell Nick, I'll kill you," she promised underneath his lips, nipping affectionately before she pulled from his hold. Tossing her top onto the damp bank, she dove beneath the glassy surface for a final swim, surfacing just beside the bank to climb out and grasp her top, sauntering toward her home.

"It'll be our little secret," AJ murmured, watching the sway of her hips as she strolled away. Taking several deep breaths to calm his racing heartbeat, he quickly dove beneath the water. Hoping the cold would relieve the heat that pooled his system.

*~*~*


Howie wrinkled his nose in disgust, nudging the sippy cup he had discovered under the desk with the toe of his shoe. There was no telling how long it had been there, really. For all he knew, it had been there for ages. Shuddering at the thought of what vile liquid could be fermenting inside, he swiveled slowly in his chair, finally succeeding in moving the cup from under the desk. Brian's studio was a mess. The day before, he had discovered a half-eaten apple on the small couch, which had sent him running for disinfectant as Natalie tinkered with the piano. Ordinarily, he wouldn't mind, would be too absorbed in the music and work to really notice. Today, however, he was waiting for Alana to show. And he wanted everything to be perfect for her. "…No offense, Brian, but… Your studio needs some work," he muttered to his friend, kicking the cup towards the younger man. "…And some Mr. Clean…"

"I'm a father first, D. I had to have stuff down here to entertain Scooper while I worked, 'cause Lord knows Leighanne couldn't be bothered with motherhood," Brian defended as he jumped at the cup hurdling toward his ankles. Stopping it with a firm stomp, he reached down to pluck the offending evidence with a pinch of his index finger and thumb. Holding it up to eye level, he tilted the cup slightly to see heavy chunks of brown liquid slide in the direction of gravity, leaving a filmy trail of sludge in its wake. "Hey! It's my famous chocolate milk with chocolate bar chunks!"

"You worry me, Brian," Howie admitted with another shudder. Glancing at his watch, he realized Alana would be there shortly. "Would you please get rid of any bacteria-infested materials before she gets here? If the disgusting mess of your studio screws this up, your ass is grass--"

"I bet this could be some wicked fertilizer for the compost heap Nat made me fence off--"

"Good God, just get rid of it!" Howie pleaded. "Now! Before it grows legs!"

Brian glanced to Howie with an offended glare. "It's not like I'm cultivating radioactive waste--"

"Hey, D! Al here yet?" AJ bellowed as he burst onto the scene, racing down the steps to beat Natalie and Baylee. Jumping off the last three steps, he grinned excitedly as he stepped beside Brian, glancing sideways for a moment. "Chocolate cottage cheese, great… Hey, is she here? 'Cause Nick is zonked out in his bed and I'm figuring that I could get some seriously sweet beats laid down before he comes alive and wrecks everything."

"Nick took NyQuil, Aje, I doubt he comes alive anytime soon," Howie sighed, spying an odd stain on the carpet. "Brian, would it be too much to ask you get a cleaning service in here? Preferably first thing in the morning?"

Setting Baylee on the couch, Natalie handed George and Simba to him before placing his coloring book and crayons on the coffee table before him. "Don't worry, Howie. I'll take care of it tonight--"

"I needs a pillow, Knot! My heinie hurts!" Baylee suddenly interjected with whine of pain, shifting to his side so the full weight of his body wouldn't rest on his recently spanked backside. But when he saw his father's firm glare, he immediately pouted. "Please?"

"What'd you spank him for?" Howie inquired as Natalie reached to get a pillow for Baylee's backside.

"What'd you spank him with, that it's hurting so bad?" AJ added with a suspicious scowl. "I thought you were joking when you said you were going to get a paddle--"

"He's over exaggerating so he can get some sympathy from Nat," Brian explained, slightly offended by the dark scowl he was receiving from AJ. "And, I used my hand, like any other father would do. And, he's been spanked because he's been--"

"An unholy terror," Baylee announced.

"And now he's reaping what he's sown," Brian finished. "And he knows that if he acts up again--"

"Daddy'll make it really hurt," Baylee informed AJ with a pout.

AJ's frowned deepened. "You know, you're on the verge of child abuse, Rok--"

"It's only child abuse if he starts beating him for no reason," Howie interjected. "God, Aje, it's not like he's beating him senseless. He's just using discipline…"

"Here you go, Sweetie," Natalie murmured as she settled Baylee on the pillow. "You want some juice or--"

"No food in here!" Howie cried, turning to glare at the cup in Brian's hand.

"Hey, y'all? The front door was open and..." Alana's voice trailed off as she slowly walked down the stairs, Zachary poised against her shoulder as he babbled happily against the side of her face. She turned slightly to offer a kiss to his opened mouth, causing him to squeal with excitement. She had made sure to check on the infant as soon as she arrived at Brian's home, finding him cuddled against Nick's side. And, when she leaned to kiss Nick, Zachary had started to squeal for her. She couldn't resist retrieving the infant to coddle him. But when she noticed the others watching her oddly, she shrugged helplessly. "He was fussing beside Nick in bed and Nick was exhausted so… Are y'all going to be here while I goof off on this demo?"

"I just checked on him two minutes ago…" Natalie trailed in confusion, remembering how Zachary had been peacefully gnawing on his fingers. "But, no, I'm not staying… I have to go upstairs and vacuum up a box of Cheerios that was spilled on the floor--"

"Nicky did it!' Baylee immediately screeched when he saw his father's censuring glare.

"Nicky did it," Natalie echoed softly, glancing to her lover. "Baylee was with you when it happened…" Turning to Alana, she offered a slight smile. "Have fun, good luck, break a leg, and all that jazz…"

"Thanks," Alana murmured as Zachary's hand found her mouth. She blew a soft raspberry against his fingers, eliciting a peal of laughter from the infant. Though, when she glanced to Natalie, her entire body naturally stiffened with apprehension. Nothing had been settled between them. "…I mean, thanks for doing the piano and the back vocals, too… You really didn't have to…"

"I wanted to," Natalie assured her, reaching to smooth Zachary's hair. "I want to help you in anyway I can… But Cheerios await. I'll bring some sodas down soon, alright? And honey-lemon tea for you, Howie."

"Allie…" Alana whispered softly as Zachary nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck.

"I'm sorry," Natalie murmured, hugging them both gently. "I'm so sorry, 'Lana…"

"Me too," Alana mumbled as she looped her free arm around Natalie for an affectionate squeeze. She had never had such a close relationship with a woman before. Best friends were too far a rarity in her life to just dismiss as if she were nothing. Natalie seemed to mean everything to Alana. "I'm sorry I was horrible about Nick. I mean, he's one of your best friends and I can't get uptight about what happened, y'know? And… I don't know… I'm just sorry…"

"What the Hell are they talking about?" AJ asked Brian as the women continued to hug. "What's Al not going to get uptight over--"

"Stuff," Brian answered simply, knowing all too well the harshness of Natalie's words to Alana when she was merely trying to help. That evening Natalie had crawled into bed beside him, crying softly in dismay. She had been distraught that she caused her best friend such unbearable pain. Brian had tried to explain as best as he could the details surrounding Colton's death and why Alana felt solely responsible. And when she understood, it only seemed to cause more tears. "Y'know, Tyke eats Cheerios, so technically you don't need to vacuum up a thing if you want to stick around, Nat."

"You really want him to eat that many? I'll go get most up, and get everyone a drink," Natalie decided, pecking Zachary and Alana on their respective cheeks before heading to the stairs.

"If she ain't Miss Suzie Homemaker stitched into June Cleaver," AJ whistled.

"Go to Hell, McLean," Natalie tossed over her shoulder as she headed upstairs.

"With a high flying kink flag!" AJ cackled.

"I'm always so glad to see all the sweet bonding y'all do on a regular basis," Alana suggested as she shifted Zachary in her arms so he was cradled within the crook, tenderly patting his diapered backside to lull him into a sweet peacefulness. Shifting her weight slightly to one leg, she brought the other up to rub her jean-clad calf. Glancing around the studio, she took in all the expensive equipment that Brian had purchased to fuel his career, especially the sound-proof booth with attached microphones and other paraphernalia. To say she was nervous would be a vast understatement.

"She amuses me," AJ explained with a shrug, watching Natalie return to pluck the offending cup from Brian's hand. "Shall we get started?"

"She needs to warm up first," Howie intervened as AJ moved to take Zachary from the safety of Alana's arms. "You can't just throw her in the booth and expect her to belt it out, Aje."

"Thanks," Alana murmured as she watched Zachary writhe uncomfortably within AJ's arms. Noticing the wrinkle in his brow, she immediately reached to claim the child into her arms once more, before his crying could even start. Pressing several kisses to the side of his face, she blushed furiously when Brian arched a curious brow. "You want me to warm up, right? I mean… Just let me sing Zach to sleep so he won't be fussy and I'll be warmed up…"

"Take your time," Howie offered with a smile. "Aje, go make sure the booth's clean--"

"Why me?"

"'Cause Alana's warming up, Brian's going to get Zach's bouncy seat, and I'm going to make sure the music's ready to go," Howie explained as he pulled on a set of headphones. "And, because you'll only make her nervous by standing there looking at her…"

"Thanks, Howie," Alana murmured softly as he gestured toward the empty leather seat beside him. Watching as AJ seemed to obey, grumbling a list of colorful expletives as he stomped into the sound booth, Alana moved to sit beside Howie. He seemed to be an outstanding father figure, though she wasn't used to having one of those in her life. Watching him get to work on the music, Alana shifted Zachary in her arms. She smiled as he cooed with happiness. "So… What song does Zach want to hear before naptime?"

"Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" Baylee suggested softly, glancing up from his coloring book. "From Lion King?"

"I think I can manage to sing that," Alana agreed with a sweet smile, reaching an arm out toward Baylee. "I have a free cuddling arm if you want sang to, too?"

"I workin' on a pi'ture for someone special," Baylee whispered with a secretive smile. "But I help you sing it?"

"Sounds good to me," Alana agreed as she glanced down toward Zachary who was reaching up for her. Sighing, she kissed each of his palms, lifting him higher so he could feel closer. Humming softly to find her perfect pitch, she nodded toward Zachary and softly began. "Can you feel the love tonight / The peace the evening brings / The world for once in perfect harmony / With all its living things / So many things to tell her / But how to make her see / The truth about my past, impossible / She'd turn away from me…"

Baylee grinned as he joined in, scribbling furiously on his coloring page. "He's holding back, he's hiding / But what, I can't decide / Why won't he be the king I know he is / The king I see inside?"

"Can you feel the love tonight? / The peace the evening brings / The world, for once, in perfect harmony / With all its living things," Alana sang powerfully, reaching notes that most singers thought were impossible. Howie even had to stop cuing up the music to glance over his shoulder, assuring himself that he had heard correctly. But Alana was too absorbed with lulling Zachary into a sweet sleep, brushing her fingers down the side of his face as she finished softly. "Can you feel the love tonight? / You needn't look too far / Stealing through the night's uncertainties / Love is where they are / And if he feels the love tonight / In the way I do / It's enough for this restless wanderer / Just to be with you…"

"And if he falls in love tonight / It can be 'sumed / His caref'ee days with us are hist'ry / In short our pal is doomed!" Baylee finished with a giggle.

"You're more than warmed up," Howie choked in disbelief.

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Alana questioned as Brian returned with Zachary's colorful bouncy seat. Mouthing a soft thank you, Alana stood and carefully settled Zachary into the soft fabric before securing him and draping a blanket over his slumbering body. Brushing away a few raven locks from his forehead, she leaned to kiss him once more before standing and stretching.

"Good thing…" Howie trailed as Brian stared at Alana incredulously. "Brian, close your mouth, please… Alana, just go into the booth, and we'll do a couple of run-throughs before - Brian, your mouth?"

"Huh?" Brian breathed thoughtlessly.

"What's wrong with you?" Alana questioned uncomfortably.

"N… Nothing," Brian stammered. "I just thought that--"

"'Lana! I made a pi'ture for you!" Baylee interrupted, leaping off the couch after ripping the paper from his book. Holding it up to her, he grinned. "It's for luck!"

"A picture? For me?" Alana exclaimed in surprise as she ducked back down to Baylee's height so she could retrieve the coloring page. Admiring the diligence of his attempts to stay in the lines, she was awed at the beautiful coloring of Simba and Nala cuddled next to one another in a romantic embrace. "Awe, Boogie, this is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much. Am I allowed to fold it and put it in my pocket? That way I have it no matter where I go?"

"Uh-huh," Baylee agreed with a nod. "But you c'n tape it on the window to look at while you sing?"

"JJ and Howie set up a music stand to hold the lyrics to the song I'm going to sing. I'll put it on that so I don't have to ruin the beautiful picture with tape," Alana explained as she leaned to smack a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you so much, Boogie. You have no idea what this means to me."

"You welcome, 'Lana," Baylee cooed. Glancing down at Zachary, he grinned. "That can't color yet--"

"When he gets old enough, you should be the one to teach him," Alana suggested as Brian tapped Baylee's backside to shoo him away. Smiling momentarily at the triumphant gleam in Baylee's dark sapphire eyes, she shook her head as Howie motioned for her to enter the sound booth. Nodding, she did as he suggested, finding AJ finishing up last touches as she closed the door behind her. Staring at the large microphone and headset, she hesitated at the threshold, immediately reaching to remove her socks and faded converses. At AJ's bewildered glance, she blushed slightly. "If I'm going to be a nervous wreck singing, I might as well be comfortable… I always sing barefoot…"

"Do you always sing naked in the shower, too? 'Cause I really don't mind if you strip--"

"AJ!" Howie cried in disbelief. "The freaking mic is on, you idiot--"

"Are you recording?" AJ inquired as he grinned wickedly.

"Sure am," Howie replied with a grin of his own. "And I'm sure Nick would just love to hear this--"

"He's drugged up on Nyquil without a care in the world. I could lock this booth door, throw Al down on the carpet, have wild passionate sex with her, and he'd still be twiddling his insignificant member praying for a wet dream."

Howie chuckled nervously when he saw a reflection in the glass. "Actually, I don't think--"

"What the fuck are you doing?!" Nick demanded groggily.

"Shit on a stick!" AJ cursed as he lunged toward the booth's door, hurriedly locking it before Nick could gain entrance. "You're stuck with me, Al. And I'm sorry, but it looks like we might have to stay in here for the rest of our days. It'll mean sacrifices, like living on hot, passionate, unbridled, sweaty-Stop recording you Puerto Rican Porker!"

"You're forgetting something," Howie explained with a casual shrug as Nick snatched the key to the door off the wall. "If I were you, I'd be praying that my will was up to date…"

"Oh Jesus-Fucking-Christ," AJ whined as he held tight to the doorknob, bracing his skinny frame against the door as if that would stop Nick's passionate jealous streak.

Nick jerked the door open, shaking his head as AJ fell to the floor. Stepping over him to Alana, he lightly kissed her cheeks, ignoring the man's pleas for sanctuary. "I didn't know you were recording today…"

"For heaven's sake, get off the floor, dumbass," Howie muttered to AJ, punching the button to end recording as Zachary began to fuss from his bouncy seat.

"You are fucking dead, Dorough," AJ croaked as he crawled from the sound booth.

"…They've been pestering me to record this demo for weeks… I decided that it was now or never. I guess I didn't realize that you knew," Alana explained softly as Brian popped into the studio to offer the swaddled Zachary to Alana. She easily took the infant into her arms, shifting him to her shoulder so he could pacify himself by chewing on her neck, like he enjoyed. Gently patting his back, he quickly calmed. Almost as quickly as he had began to fuss. "And you were sleeping when I got here, so I figured I just wanted to come down here, do it, and leave. And, guys, 'cause I know you're listening, I'm just going through this once."

"You going to hold him while you do it?" Nick questioned softly, dropping soft kisses on his son's head.

"Why? Are you going to take him?" Alana returned, preparing to shift Zachary despite his grunt of protest and possessive hands splaying across her bare shoulder.

"He's happy where he is… Keep quiet for her, Son," Nick ordered in a soft tone, lifting his head to kiss Alana gently.

"I figured," Alana breathed against his lips, reaching her free hand up to brush down the side of her lover's face. Since gallivanting off with AJ for the day, she had yet to see Nick. The queasiness remained in the pit of her stomach, but she attributed it to either a touch of Nick's flu or what she had done with AJ. Savoring the taste of Nick's lips, she leaned closer to intensify the kiss, hoping it was okay with him. "How are you feeling, Handsome?"

Nick moaned softly in appreciation of her kiss, looping his arms around her waist. "Better--"

"I'm glad," she murmured, feeling Zachary coo against the side of her neck as Nick's tongue slipped inside her mouth for a gentle stroke. Feeling the fire of passion start to burn in the pit of her belly, she shivered with appreciation, cupping her hand around the back of Nick's neck to intensify the wanting of her kiss. "You better get out of here so I can record this stupid song…"

"I love you," Nick breathed, holding her to him as he rained kisses along her cheek. Smiling as Zachary cooed again, he squeezed them both gently. "Hurry along… And if you can get him down for a nap, I'll be upstairs…"

"Sleeping off Nyquil, so I ain't going to disturb you," she warned, brushing her hand lightly down his chest as she tilted her head to capture his lips for a quick kiss.

"Fine… Then bring Zach up an we'll all snuggle," Nick compromised softly.

"Daddy, they kiss'n again," Baylee groaned.

"She kissed me a helluva lot better than that," AJ huffed as he leaned back in his thick leather chair, concentrating on the conversation between Nick and Alana. Though, he almost toppled the chair when he heard Alana suggest softly to Nick about the need to have him completely. "…That lucky son-of-a--"

"JJ! No cussin'! Baylee admonished.

In the booth, Nick grinned against Alana's lips. "Come upstairs when you're done, okay? I love you…"

"Give me a surprise underneath your blankets and have nothing on," Alana suggested as she kissed him once more, feeling the soft breath of Zachary's pleased sigh when she released Nick. "I love you more, Handsome…"

"Why Nicky need nakie, Daddy?" Baylee questioned as Nick strolled from the studio with a lazy grin on his face. "'Lana give'im a 'ponge bath?"

"Something like that, Scooper…" Brian mumbled, his cheeks tinged pink as he carried Baylee over to the couch where Natalie waited with drinks. Explaining Nick and Alana's lust for making love was harder than explaining the very act of sex to his young son. Slumping onto the soft cushions, he immediately pulled his love close, burying his face into her wavy chestnut locks.

"Alright, I admit it! I scooped the Cheerios back in the box and put it in the cabinet 'cause the floor was spotless!" Natalie squeaked in surprise.

AJ glanced over in confusion at Natalie's confusing outburst as Brian muffled a small laugh. "…You are such an idiot…"

"Howie, can I get started?" Alana suddenly inquired through the two-way speaker.

"Whenever you're ready," Howie confirmed, reaching to push a button. "Oh, gross… Is that freaking jelly?!"

"Lick your fingers and tell me if it's strawberry or grape!" Brian requested.

Alana hurriedly pressed for communication once more. "Y'know, we can just do this later, much later--"

"No, no, it's fine," Howie assured her, making a face as he pressed the button. "Just put the headphones on and let me know when you're ready…"

Reaching for the headphones with her free hand, she fumbled slightly to push them onto her ears. Adjusting them slightly, she returned her hand to Zachary's back to give him the comfort of safety. Holding her breath, she glanced down at the colored picture that Baylee had made for her before looking out to those around the soundboard. They all looked so hopeful and anxious to hear her sing, causing the pressure to mount over her. Closing her eyes, she shifted slightly so she wouldn't have to look at them while she sang. Then, she raised her hand to gesture she was ready.

"Would you all quit staring at her like she's some freak at the circus?" Howie hissed under his breath as he pressed a series of buttons. Pulling on a set of headphones, he was grateful that Brian's equipment allowed him to listen through those or through the speakers. Hearing the piano intro to the song, he gave her a nod, closing his eyes in order to give her some privacy as the others slinked away to sit on the couch.

"You know, I'm half of this label so I should at least be able to hear--" AJ's voice turned to a hard whimper when Howie's hand shot out with a CD case, jabbing him in the pit of his stomach, dangerously close to his nether regions. "…And we've both made some good points, so I'm just going to go over here and color now," AJ finished with a high-pitched wheeze, scurrying away.

"I knew I should have asked Kevin to be my partner," Howie grumbled under his breath, though those thoughts were ceased when Alana's rich voice began to sing. Reaching to adjust the levels slightly, he smiled to himself as he glanced through the window. She stood at the microphone with her back to him, swaying gently from side to side in time to the music. Zachary's head rested on her shoulder, eyes drooping sleepily as she rubbed his back. Leaning back in his chair, Howie released a pleased sigh. She was perfect.

"And I know that he knows I'm unfaithful / And it kills him inside / To know that I am happy with some other guy / I can see him dying…" Alana sang softly into the rounded microphone, allowing her eyes to drift closed to take her into the melody of the song. She pictured herself in the center of her home, simply cleaning with the music filtering through her surround sound. The passionate music that brought her heart ease as she kept her voice in perfect melody with the singer. The passion hidden deep inside her opening like a gorgeous flower, the power of her voice actually causing Howie to practically topple from his chair. "I don't wanna do this anymore / I don't wanna be the reason why / Every time I walk out the door / I see him die a little more inside / I don't wanna hurt him anymore / I don't wanna take away his life / I don't wanna be… A murderer…"

"Perfect," Howie breathed once the song was finished. Seeing her blush as she replaced the headphones, he turned to press the sequence of buttons that would burn the song onto a CD. "Abso-freaking-lutely perfect--"

"Did you just blow a monster load?" AJ questioned bluntly as he watched the satisfied grin cross his friend's face.

"Naw, his face ain't flushed enough to have done that," Brian drawled as Alana came out of the booth. "And he ain't out of breath--"

"Shut up," Howie muttered, tossing his headphones down. "Why does everything have to be about sex with you two?!"

"Daddy? What's sex?"

"Nothing you're allowed to do till you're at least fifty," Brian murmured, lifting Baylee off the couch and patting his behind to scoot him up the stairs.

"Is everything done?" Alana questioned as she shifted Zachary into the crook of her arm, satisfied that he was sleeping soundly.

"Done," Howie confirmed, popping out the CD. Placing it in a jewel case, he handed it over to her before turning to make more copies for himself. "You can have a listen when you want…"

"Well, I was needing a new coaster--"

"Alana!" Howie cried in disbelief. "If you use that as a coaster--"

"What he means, Babe, is you're free to do with it whatever you want," AJ finished with a quick scowl in Howie's direction. "Use it as a coaster, for target practice, or sling it at Nick when he's being a prick…"

"Glad to see he's so free with my equipment," Brian muttered. "Can I listen to--"

"We need to go fix dinner," Natalie informed him, ushering him towards the stairs. "When she's ready for someone to listen to it, she'll let you know, I'm sure."

"That'll be next to never," Brian grumbled with displeasure as he was pushed up the stairs. "And the only thing I'm making for dinner is macaroni and cheese from the damn box--"

"If y'all'll excuse me, I have a present waiting upstairs for me for being complacent with his best friends," Alana drawled excitedly as she tucked the jewel case into the back of her slim jeans. Her entire body shivered with an anticipated delight at the mere thought, reaching to kiss AJ and Howie's cheeks. "Enjoy that CD for whatever y'all need it for."

"If I ever get to listen to the damn thing," AJ muttered, watching her head up the stairs. Turning to Howie, he reached for the CD his friend held. "As the best looking partner, I demand I get a listen!"

"Best looking?!" Howie snorted, ripping the CD away when AJ's fingers briefly brushed across the plastic. "You can kiss my ass, McLean."