- Text Size +
Nick was beside himself as he paced the small length of the private waiting room that had been opened for him as Alana was rushed back the hallways of the Emergency Department only to be whisked away to surgery in a cloud of harsh medical terminology. Even in the confines of Kentucky, it was easy for the media to catch wind of the disaster. Some paparazzi could be seen in the parking lot starting to gather in attempts to collect information, causing an uneasiness to settle in Nick's already bereaved state. Weighing his choices, Nick hadn't even been confident in allowing the paramedics to rush her to this particular hospital. But the blood loss had been so significant and he worried that she would die en route to another hospital. And since she worked here, the entire hospital was alive with the news of her injuries and compromised state. Many nurses had already stopped in to see Nick, upset at the news and looking for comfort, which Nick could hardly provide. He just wanted to know that she would be okay. That she would be safe--

"Nick! Where's Sis? Is she okay? God, Howie just called me while I was in the air and… God, tell me she's okay--" Stalking into the private waiting room, Aaron was hardly a picture of comfort for his older brother. His color was ashen and his face streaked with tears at the mere echo of Howie's voice telling him of the disaster. Thankfully Nick had called him the night before, inviting him out to meet his nephew, so he had already been on his way to Lexington.

"She's…" Nick trailed, shaking his head as he turned his gaze down to his feet. Unable to bear looking at his brother's heartbroken expression. "They've got her in surgery…"

"So, they're fixing her?" Aaron suggested with a hopeful glance, seemingly growing younger as each minute passed. He had never been one to doubt medicine. In fact, he seemed to think that miracles happened within the halls. That one moment in a doctor's hands was a cure-all. His sepia eyes said just as much as he stepped close to Nick, searching for his brother's gaze. "She's gonna be alright, 'cause she's in surgery. If she wasn't in there, then there'd be no hope…"

"…I know…" Nick sighed, raking a hand through his hair as tears threatened once more to spill. Since arriving at the hospital, his strong façade had quickly crumbled, leaving him shaking and scared as he shivered in the waiting room.

Aaron's bottom lip quivered when his older brother refused to reach out to him and surround him in a powerful embrace of support. "Nick… You're scaring me--"

"Nick?" Brian suddenly called as he stumbled through the door of the waiting room, barely hesitating on catching his balance as he reached out for Nick's broad shoulders. His cerulean eyes seemed to darken with despair as he caught the crestfallen expression on his best friend's face. Cursing softly, he threw his arms around Nick. "God, what happened? All I got was this phone call from Howie saying that I had to meet you at the hospital--"

"Alana… She fell," Nick whispered, pressing his face against the older man's shoulder as the familiar sensation of comfort wrapped around him. Strangling on a sob, he gripped Brian's shirt, letting the anguish sweep through his system. "I can't lose her, Rok--"

"You're not going to lose her," Brian promised fervently, trying to absorb the heavy significance of Nick's simple statement. He could only imagine what Alana falling from a cliff would entail. He refused to even conjure the image of her mangled body laying below as he gripped Nick tightly, supporting all of the younger man's weight. Shifting slightly, he noted with relief that Natalie was consoling Aaron, though she seemed beside herself as well.

"One minute she was teasing me about calling Howie 'D' and the next she was--" Nick's sentence abruptly ended in a sharp sob, his body collapsing into the chair behind him. "She can't-I love her too much to-We're supposed to grow old together--"

"What the Hell happened, Frack? I mean, I thought she did rock climbing all the time? Wasn't she an expert? How could she just fall like that?" Brian murmured as he seated himself beside Nick, reaching to rub his back. He couldn't stop himself from asking the vital question. No matter how much he wanted to help console Nick.

"I-I don't know… The cop guy said something about a broken carabiner--"

"Why the Hell would she use a broken…"

"I don't know!" Nick cried, shoving Brian away. "What the fuck's taking so long--"

"Surgery isn't like super-gluing Legos together, Nick," Brian yelped as his chair went sliding several feet from the power of Nick's shove. "These things take time!"

"Bumpkin," Natalie chided softly, placing a hand on Nick's shoulder. "She's going to be alright, Nicky… As soon as they can tell you anything they will."

"That's not good enough," Nick snarled as he fought to choke back a large sob in his throat, wrapping his arms around Aaron who practically crashed into his embrace. Heavy streaks of tears fell from his dark ocean eyes as he clutched at his brother's t-shirt, just glaring at Brian and Natalie. Why couldn't they understand? Alana was lying somewhere in this hospital, dying, and Nick had been barred entrance. He should be holding her hand and arguing with a doctor that no price was too steep to save her life. Anything should be done to spare her.

Natalie bit down on her lip, turning to Brian when Nick roughly shook her hand away. "I… I'll go call and check on the kids," she offered softly. "And let Jackie know--"

"I want Zach here," Nick demanded suddenly. "He's my son, and I want him here with me…"

Brian hesitated as Natalie stepped into his embrace, pressing her face to his chest for a moment of comfort. Gently rubbing her back, he exhaled a tense breath, not knowing how it had gotten to the point where he and Nick butted heads more than they spoke. "Nick… Having an infant in a waiting room is just…too much… You're stressed out and Zach is going to sense that and he won't be comfortable in his car seat for the whole duration--"

"Where's the fucknut that pushed Al off the damn cliff, 'cause I'm gonna kick the shit outta him!" AJ's raspy voice suddenly boomed.

"Nobody pushed her," Nick sighed, wincing at AJ's accusatory words. "Her carabiner broke - Brian, don't start. If I have to go get him myself, I'm going to get Zach. I need him--"

"And what happens when the doctor comes out and you're not here? You're just going to leave her?" Aaron accused with a firm scowl.

"Goddamnit, Aaron--"

"I'll go," Natalie offered softly. Before Brian could argue, she shook her head, leaning up to kiss his cheek. "I'll make sure Bay's down for his nap, then bring Zach here. It'll be okay, Bumpkin."

"Has anyone heard anything about Alana?" Howie suddenly questioned, the last of the group to make it through the door as Natalie was moving to leave. He reached out to catch her shoulders to steady her before she stumbled, thoroughly searching her eyes. AJ had hurried ahead as if he were on fire, leaving Howie in a wake of fearful intuition.

"Nothing," Natalie whispered with a slight shake of her head.

"Because we're in the middle of Bumfuck, where apparently nobody knows how to notify anyone," Nick muttered as he slammed his body onto the couch.

"You alright, Nattie?" Howie murmured as AJ swooped on Nick to pry information about the accident from the youngest man's core.

"I'll be okay," Natalie answered softly, grateful as always for Howie's concern. "I have to run out for a few, do you need anything?"

"I don't need anything, but I have that stuff for Nick in the car… Do you want me to come with you?" Howie offered as he glanced toward Brian to make sure it was appropriate. At his friend's complacent nod, Howie smiled softly toward Natalie. "I'll drive. We all know she's your best friend, so you're hardly okay."

"Alright…" Natalie trailed.

"We'll be back," Howie offered as he placed a hand against the small of Natalie's back, leading her out the door. Stopping halfway, he glanced toward Nick. "Do you need anything else, Nicky?"

Nick shook his head, sending AJ a look that told the older man to cease his questions. "Just my son. Thanks, D…"

"No problem, Nicky," Howie murmured with an encouraging smile, glancing toward Brian before leaving. "Take care of him, B."

AJ angrily tossed his small frame into a chair as Aaron moved to join Nick on the sofa. "What the fuck--"

"AJ, that's enough," Brian interrupted. "It doesn't matter how or why, okay? All that matters is that Alana is okay--"

"Nick Carter?" an unfamiliar voice announced as there was a soft tap on the waiting room door. Immediately, everyone lurched to their feet as a tall man dressed in sea green scrubs entered the room. Reaching for the surgical skull cap, he pulled it off his head to reveal a silky raven black locks as his slate gray eyes critically assessed the group of men. He hardly looked like a skill surgeon, but an underwear model.

"Yeah?" Nick questioned as he critically eyed the man before him.

"I'm Dr. Michael Allman, I was the surgeon working on Ally…" the surgeon hurriedly cleared his throat as he ran a hand through his raven locks. "I mean Alana. And I know she doesn't have any family around these parts, but my nurses were saying that you came in with her--"

"How is she?" Nick demanded.

"Alive," Dr. Allman muttered, seemingly put off by Nick's abrasive attitude. "A fall like that with no helmet could have killed her. She's damn lucky that only her legs were broken instead of her neck or back--"

"Can I see her? She'll be okay, won't she? Is she awake?" Nick questioned in a barrage, moving to push past the doctor as he spoke. Only Dr. Allman caught him by the hand and forced him to take a step back. "I need to see her--"

"You need to calm the Hell down," Dr. Allman drawled as he crossed his arms defensively against his chest. "Ally just got out of extensive surgery and is being wheeled to her room. She broke both of her legs, Mr. Carter. She snapped the two bones in her lower left leg which had to be set and cast. She also managed to snap the thigh bone of her right leg, which needed to be opened and stabilized with metal bars and bolts. She's got extensive bumps and bruises all over her entire body. Several deep scrapes needed cleaned and irrigated. She got a nasty cut to her forehead which needed stitched. She's a damn mess and I can't help but feel you're responsible--"

"The hook broke! There was nothing she could do! I was on a ledge twenty feet below her when she fell--"

"Look you bastard of a prick, Nick is Alana's damn fiancé and you have no right to keep him from seeing her. He is her next of kin and her Emergency Contact. So, unless you want a bunch of high priced lawyers swarming down your throat, I suggest you tell him what room she's in," Brian threatened with a growl of irritation.

"Thanks, B," Nick whispered.

"You need to see her," Brian murmured softly, his eyes widening slightly when he realized this surgeon was the same man that had been hugging Alana in the parking lot before Nick had called her.

"She's in room 506B, private suite, and extremely groggy. She lost a lot of blood, so she's getting several units of packed cells," Dr. Allman grumbled as he glanced toward the others in the room. "Not all of you can be in there at the same time. She needs to rest. She ain't exactly out of harm's way."

Nick nodded, taking a deep breath to fortify his nerves as the man turned to leave the room. He was about to follow him when Brian grabbed his arm. "What--"

"That surgeon was the guy that chased after Alana when you first met her. The one that you thought she was--"

"That fucking asshole!" Nick yelped. "I ought to--"

"Carter, are you coming or not?" Dr. Allman growled with an insufferable irritation.

"Can't you give a guy two damn minutes?" Nick muttered under his breath as he stalked across the waiting room.

"Nick! Can I come?" Aaron suddenly blurted as he fought free of AJ's hold, which seemed to cause the other men to rise and follow. Even if they weren't allowed to all be in the room together, surely there wasn't a policy barring them from waiting in the hallway or a waiting room closer to her room. "That's my sister!"

Nick blanked when Dr. Allman stopped. Walking straight into the man's back, he released a grunt. "What? Aaron are you--"

"I want to come along," Aaron stressed as he galloped up to his brother's side with a hopeful smile. "Please? I miss her… I want to make sure she's okay--"

"I wasn't aware that Ally had a brother…" Dr. Allman trailed in slight confusion as he quickly shrugged Nick's cumbersome form away from him. "She--"

"Half brother," Aaron hurriedly corrected, knowing by the look of bewilderment passing the surgeon's face that Alana had never divulged her personal family history with the man. "She hasn't talked about me before? Going to the boarding school in California…"

Nick's eyes widened in disbelief as Aaron moved past him to step into the hallway. "Aaron--"

"Well… I suppose you can go in," Dr. Allman conceded with a curt nod. Glancing from Aaron to Nick, he wondered what Alana could possibly see in the man. Messy hair, distant expression… And apparently no fashion sense, he decided. "Follow me."

"I am eighteen, so it's not like I'm breaking any of the no kids under whatever age rule," Aaron explained with a proud smile toward Nick, falling into step with the surgeon. "Y'know, Sis never really mentioned you before, but you call her Ally. Did you have something going with her? …Is it possible that since she's in a private suite that I could get an extra bed in there to spend the night with her?"

"Conniving little fucker," Nick breathed in disgust as he followed the two down the hall. Hearing the doctor answer in a positive tone, he glanced over his shoulder at Brian, hoping his old friend would help. "Aaron--"

"Is going to be in there all night to protect Alana? Which is good considering Dr. Feel Good might want to spend the evening in her hospital room while she's sleeping off that anesthesia?" Brian offered hopefully as AJ walked beside him, not daring to step ahead for fear of Brian's heavy reprimands.

"…Is it against the law to knock the Hell out of an asshole doctor?" Nick questioned suddenly, though is question was forgotten as Dr. Allman paused outside of the door at the end of the hall. Staring as the nurse slid a card with Alana's name into the pocket on the wall, he felt his breath leave his lungs in a breath. She was alive. She would be alright. She--

"I'll go in and check on her first," Aaron announced softly.

"Aaron, let your brother--" Brian hesitated at first when Dr. Allman raised his brows in question, but hurriedly finished with an awkward pause between. "-In-law… Let your future brother-in-law go in first."

"Smooth, Rok," AJ muttered.

"Yeah… Okay," Aaron sighed after a moment with a nod in Nick's direction. "She loves you, after all. I'm just her annoying little brother--"

"You are so dead later," Nick threatened quietly toward his brother as he followed a nurse inside the private room. Instantly, his sense of smell was overpowered by the aseptic aroma of powerful bleach amongst other cleaning products. The overwhelming smell of cleanliness caused him to pause within the threshold of the doorway, not wanting to touch anything for fear of contaminating Alana. So, craning his neck, he watched the nurse lean over the bedside and fuss with various tubes as well as bandages, causing Alana to release a muffled whimper. The echo of her soft voice amongst the noisy rhythms of whirling medical equipment caused Nick to lurch. The agony wrenching her voice causing him to reach out to the offending nurse. "You're hurting--"

"If he asked again, I'd say yes," Alana mumbled incoherently as she attempted to dismiss the nurse causing her pain.

"Huh?" Nick blanked in complete confusion, glancing towards the nurse for translation. "Beautiful…"

The nurse shrugged helplessly, though her dark eyes widened in excitement at the appearance of a renown celebrity such as Nick Carter. "She's been saying that since we brought her out of surgery… She's higher than a kite--"

"She just fell off a fucking mountain, how would you be?" Nick interrupted with a sigh, moving to the edge of Alana's bed. Kneeling down next to the bed, he lightly touched her hand with his, lowering his head to brush a kiss across her fingers. "Hey, Beautiful…"

"Handsome," Alana murmured, her voice cracking because of the tube that had been inserted into her throat during the surgery, causing her voice to barely register above of a whisper. Keeping her heavy eyes closed, she shifted her right arm with much discomfort to meet Nick's messy, platinum locks. Tangling her aching fingers within the soft strands, she released a soft whimper of pain when the nurse fussed with her legs. Hardly able to recognize her whereabouts and still disoriented from the pain medication and anesthesia, she just seemed to understand Nick's soft voice and the agony ripping through her tender body. "And I was worried about you falling…"

"You fell… I couldn't - You were - I love you so much, Beautiful," he whispered, reaching to pull her hand between his. Cradling it as gently as he could, he pressed several soft kisses against her fingers, so grateful she was alive he felt hot tears of relief fill his eyes.

"Not too beautiful now," Alana attempted to joke as she rotated her wrist, resting the pads of her fingers against Nick's lips. She was vaguely aware of the thorough report Dr. Allman had given her when she was jarred awake from the anesthesia. She had fallen from the cliff and caused some serious damage to her legs. She had lost a lot of blood. Some skin tears needed stitched. They were taking blood to test for any illegal drugs and alcohol content - standard precaution. She hadn't been in a position to argue. Not even now as she fought to open her eyes, though her body couldn't seem to comply.

"You're always beautiful to me," Nick promised.

"You're crying," Alana announced when she felt hot tears slide over her fingers. Attempting to shift closer to Nick, she bit down hard on her bottom lip to keep from crying out, struggling harder to open her eyes.

"No I'm not," Nick lied, turning his head to brush the tears away. "Lay still, Beautiful--"

"I love you, Nickalicious," Alana confessed softly as her heavy eyes finally fluttered open, causing her to squint immediately at the brightness of the room. On top of all the injuries, she didn't want to add a severe headache to the list. A mild concussion's ache was bad enough. Turning her gaze on Nick as her eyes became accommodated to her surroundings, she reached out to clear away his tears. "And… I hate when you lie to me…"

"They're happy tears, promise," Nick murmured. "And I love you too…"

Releasing the smallest breath as to not flare the pain in her chest, she noted the scrapes and abrasions littering Nick's arms and hands. "Suppose it's a bad time to mention that I think our next date should be bungee jumping, huh?"

Nick paled slightly, unable to tell if she was joking or not. "Only if you want me to chain you to a bed--"

"Did you get looked at by one of the Emergency Doc's?"

"Yeah… I'm fine, just a little bruised--"

"A little bruised?" Alana immediately contended, arching her brows in skepticism, the anesthesia's haze seeming to melt away.

"Just a bruised rib--"

"Nick…"

"I'm fine, Beautiful. You're okay, and that's all that matters," Nick assured her.

"I think I should be discharged today," Alana suggested as she leaned back against her pillows at Nick's encouragement. Studying him carefully, she decided that when he left she'd make a call down to the Emergency Department. She could find out easily what the details of his injuries were.

"Right after my sex-change, sure," Nick muttered. "You're not going anywhere until Dr. Feel Good--"

"Dr. Feel Good?" Alana interrupted in confusion as she fought to lay as still as physically possible. Even a small breath caused pain to rip down the middle of her neck all the way to her toes, which was unsettling considering the severe and permanent aches and pains throbbing within the entire length of her leg. To say she was miserable would have been an understatement, but she refused to say as much to Nick, not wanting him to worry. "Mike?"

Nick suppressed the urge to roll his eyes. Mike and Ally. How cute… "Yeah, him. You're not going anywhere until he says that--"

"You don't like him?"

"Well… Not really?"

"…Why?"

"…'Cause I don't?"

"Okay…" Alana trailed softly, not having the energy nor the strength to facilitate a potential argument, especially as there was a hesitant tap to the door. Glancing away from Nick as he moved to bring a chair close to her bedside, she watched an overtly shy Aaron lingering in her doorway. Smiling, though it laced with pain, she gestured for him to enter. "What's the little brother doing here? Come to see the damage?"

"I…" Aaron trailed into a grateful sigh as he rushed over to her bedside. "Are you okay? How do you feel? Can I see your legs? I'm staying tonight, I told them I'm your half-brother--"

"I'm fine," Alana promised with a small smile as Aaron leaned over to smack several gentle kisses across her face. He then made sure to allow their foreheads to connect for a few moments so he could search her dark teal eyes, tentatively touching the square bandage on her forehead hiding a row of stitches. With a significant portion of sisterly affection, she brushed her fingers down the side of the young adult's face as he pulled back. "I don't mind if you take a look at my legs. Actually, I'd be grateful to know they're still there…"

Nick sighed as Aaron moved to pull the blankets up over Alana's legs, averting his eyes quickly. "You're not staying here, Aaron. For God's sake, you can't hold up that charade you pulled on the doctor for the whole night--"

"The Hell I can't-God, Sis," Aaron heaved with disbelief as he held up the blankets so he could access the seriousness of Alana's injuries. Her left leg was encased in a plain white cast from the end of her foot to just below her knee, the toes peeking out from the plaster mottled and purple from the severity of the break and dislocation of the bones. Then, her right leg seemed to have far more damage considering that from her ankle to her upper thigh was wrapped tightly in gauze and ace bandages. Then over the thick dressings was a large metal contraption known as an immobilizer that would keep her from moving her leg at all. "I bet you have some wicked stitches under those… God, are you in pain, Sis?"

"I'm fine," Alana lied.

"I really hate it when you lie to me," Aaron sighed as he carefully lowered the blankets. "…Want anything? Pepsi? Ice? Magazine to hit Nick over the head with? Candy? Food? Anything--"

"I don't need a thing," Alana declined softly, trying not to wince even at the miniscule amount of pressure the blankets provided that caused a brush burn of pain.

"You want me to bring Zach in here so you can see him?" Nick offered softly, moving to cradle her hand between his again. "Nat and D went to get him--"

"Handsome, you shouldn't have asked them to bring him to the hospital. It's no place for an infant. There are so many sick people," Alana started to chide as Aaron slipped away from the room, planning to go downstairs to the gift shop and buy her a variety of items despite her refusal. But, Alana barely noticed as she watched Nick wince with hurt at her reprimand, causing her to soften significantly. "You'll let me hold him without fussing at me?"

"As long as you promise to do whatever the doctors and nurses tell you without fussing at them or grumbling under your breath at me about how incompetent they all are," Nick agreed with a slight smile.

"Even the male nurses that come in here to give me a bed bath?" Alana questioned with a sweet air of innocence to her method of torture. "'Cause I was going to decline, but to hold my Zachie, I need to agree--"

"I'll give you a damn bed bath," Nick grumbled.

"Don't sound so disgruntled like it's a horrible chore. That hurts--"

"I'm not disgruntled. I just don't want other men being able to touch you--"

"Do you honestly think that I'm going to allow a man to come into my hospital room with a cold tub of water and a gritty washcloth and touch my bare body?"

"Why are we bitching back and forth now of all times?"

"Cause you started it."

"Then… I'm sorry?"

Alana fully expected Nick to run into a full length explanation as to why he wasn't at fault for their bickering, in turn, creating a whole new subject to argue about. But the sincerity in his dark ocean eyes caught her by surprise, actually causing her teal eyes to prickle with tears. The last image she remembered after falling from the cliff was almost like a faded photograph of her lover. Something that seemed to freeze in the recesses of her mind as medical personnel rushed to save her life. Understanding how close to death she really had been, she curled her fingers tightly around his hand, just wanting to kiss him. "I'm sorry, Nick…"

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Beautiful," Nick murmured. Leaning close, he lightly brushed his lips across hers, reaching to gently smooth her hair back.

"I have never had a carabiner break on me before," Alana assured him as she rested her forehead against his, allowing her eyes to fall closed with the exhaustion in her system. "The grease bucket at the outdoor store… The one that you put the fear of God Almighty into… He insisted that I take this carabiner and--"

"I'm going to kill him," Nick vowed. "I am so going to march down to that store and drag his scrawny body into the parking lot and run him over--"

"He couldn't have possibly known--"

"I don't care. He's a worthless piece of dog shit smeared on the bottom of a bum's shoe--"

"Nicky?" Natalie suddenly called from the doorway, not sure if she wanted to enter after catching the end of Nick's tirade. The rest of the group was patiently waiting in a nearby private room for when they could stop in to visit. But Howie had sent Natalie ahead to Alana's room. She had been nothing but a nervous wreck traveling to Jackie's house. "I have a little visitor…"

"Snot Sucker!" Nick breathed in surprise, brushing his lips across Alana's before pulling away. Grinning as he motioned for Natalie to enter the room, he moved to stand, meeting her halfway. Cooing down at his son, he offered Natalie a grateful smile when she gently transferred Zachary into his arms. "Thanks, Nat…"

"No problem," she whispered, turning to leave.

"Are you mad at me?" Alana questioned in confusion.

Natalie turned, handing Zachary's blanket to Nick before the man moved to sit next to Alana again. "I don't want to disturb you… Dr. Hottie said you needed rest--"

"Mike is a stuffy, pushy-- He is kind of hot, huh?" Alana mused thoughtfully.

"Absolutely… I just ran into him in the hall, and… Well… He has nothing on Bumpkin though," Natalie quickly added, her cheeks coloring with embarrassment slightly.

"Of course he has nothing on Bumpkin," Alana agreed with a small smirk, cooing when Zachary reached out to grasp her finger.

"I'll go so you three can be alone," Natalie murmured. "If you need anything, just call, okay?"

"I'm not going to break, Natalie," Alana suggested softly, not understanding why Natalie was remaining so aloof. She seemed to understand from a nursing standpoint that Natalie was frightened of her, but it didn't stop the sting of hurt feelings. She wanted to prove that she was okay by perhaps sitting up, but knew the severity of pain prevented her from doing as she liked. So, she slowly gestured toward Nick as she untangled her right hand from her IV, wanting to cuddle her youngster.

Smiling slightly, Natalie hesitated at the doorway for a moment before darting over to take the empty seat as Nick stood to transfer Zachary into Alana's arms. "God, 'Lana, I was so scared," she admitted in a whisper, though she giggled when Zachary began to squeal for Alana's attention. "Jackie said he was crying from the time Howie dropped him off till we got there to pick him up…"

"You were scared because Zachie was crying?" Alana questioned in confusion as she gestured for Nick to lay the infant on her chest. She was fearful that her aching arms might not be able to support the full weight of her son, so allowing him to nestle against her chest gave her comfort. When she heard him coo with delight, reaching to find the pulsation of her heart with his tiny hand, the pain in her body seemed to lessen. Tilting her head, she gingerly nuzzled the top of his. "I love you, Zachary."

"I told you that she loved you, Zach," Nick prided as he turned to see Natalie occupying his seat beside Alana's bed. So, after much contemplation, he carefully lowered himself on the side of Alana's bed so he could be close to his lover and son. Reaching, he threaded his fingers through hers, helping her to rub Zachary's back as he cooed softly.

"You're taking him home tonight?" Alana questioned as she lightly rested her eyes as she held Zachary close.

"I'm not going anywhere," Nick murmured, pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head.

"But Zachie can't stay here all night--"

"We'll take him when we go," Natalie interrupted softly.

"They'll take him when they go," Nick confirmed.

"Thank you, Allie," Alana mumbled with a weary sigh, reaching for Natalie's hand to squeeze affectionately. The pain medication was starting to seep into her body, exhausting the smallest bits of strength she had managed to save. "I owe you."

"Just get better," Natalie whispered, squeezing Alana's hand back.

*~*~*


"…Daddy? My 'Lana d'unna be otay?" Baylee questioned sleepily as Brian lifted him from his car seat. Rubbing his eyes, he muffled a yawn against his father's shoulder as Natalie walked around to get Zachary. "Her legs work again soon? Her's got's'ta play wit' me - Knot! We go see 'Lana? Now?!"

"It is way past your bedtime, Bay-Bee, and 'Lana has plenty of people spending the night with her. Little Nicky and Nicky are with her. Maybe tomorrow we can take you to see her when we take Zachary to her," Natalie suggested softly as she brought Zachary into her arms, hoping that the infant wouldn't stir. Alana had made sure to rock the infant to sleep before Brian and Natalie said goodbye. Natalie just hoped that somehow he would remain sleep for most of the night, knowing he would be extremely fussy without his mother or father around. But, Alana had needed her rest. She looked so miserable laying in the stiff hospital bed. The pain seemed unbearable.

"Right after breakfas'?" Baylee requested hopefully, allowing his chin to rest on Brian's shoulder as he was carried into the house. He had spent the entire afternoon and evening at his grandmother's, plaguing her with questions about his favorite nurse. He had been allowed to talk to her at one point, for only a moment before Aaron had taken the phone and informed him that Alana had fallen asleep. "Daddy, we eat cereal in the mornin' so we can see her quick?"

"We'll give Nicky a call in the morning and see if Alana feels up to having visitors," Brian suggested somewhat gently as he walked up the grand staircase of his home, leading Natalie toward Baylee's bedroom where they had set up a crib for Zachary as well. "She's got some pretty big boo-boos, Scooper."

"I kiss'em better," Baylee decided as he was set on the floor. Already dressed in his pajamas, he shuffled across to his bed, pausing to look at the photo of Alana he had placed lovingly on his bedside table. Pulling George and Simba off the bed, he hugged them close as Natalie carefully laid Zachary down in the crib. "Daddy? We pray for 'Lana? Ask God to make her all better?"

"I couldn't think of a better idea, Scooper," Brian agreed with a proud smile, moving to sit on the edge of Baylee's bed. Pulling his toddler onto his lap, he lightly ruffled his son's platinum locks. "Maybe Nat can take us shopping for get well gifts for your 'Lana tomorrow. She'll know exactly what 'Lana will love."

"We'll get her some nice things," Natalie concurred as she moved to sit next to Brian after making sure Zachary was settled. Kissing the top of Baylee's head, she smiled when he yawned again, reaching behind them to pull back his covers. "Maybe in the morning while Daddy cooks breakfast you and me can draw some pictures to decorate her room with, how's that sound?"

"I draw her a George and Simba?" Baylee suggested, turning in Brian's lap so he could face them both. "An' her loves doffins, I draw her some doffins too! An' get that - Zachie to help?"

"I'm sure Zach would love to drool on your pictures," Brian chuckled as he rubbed his son's stomach. "But it's very nice for you to let him help, Scooper. He's your 'Lana's baby boy."

"G'amma was askin' when she gets another baby boy to spoil," Baylee announced. "Her was 'nugglin' Zachie an' sayin' she needs another g'an'baby--"

"Well, you tell your Knot that she needs to give you a baby sister," Brian encouraged, glancing toward Natalie to see the firm blush accentuating her cheeks. God, she never looked more beautiful.

"And what if Knot wants to give him a baby brother instead?" Natalie questioned softly.

"Girl's are gross," Baylee muttered as he yawned once more. "'Cept for G'amma an' 'Lana and Knot--"

"Baby boy or girl, what does it matter? It's just as fun putting the order into the stork either way," Brian suggested with an uncharacteristically wicked grin.

"Bumpkin!" Natalie breathed in shock, her cheeks turning a deep crimson. Though she gave him a playful smile as she whispered, "We can call the stork later…"

"Tell the d'ork I want a baby brother," Baylee requested as he shifted into Natalie's arms for hugs and kisses.

"You heard the boy," Natalie jibbed at Brian before hugging Baylee close. Pressing several kisses over his face, she leaned back to offer the same to George and Simba.

"Prayers now? For 'Lana?" Baylee inquired as he hopped toward the top of his large bed.

"…Did you just call me a dork?" Brian murmured.

"Of course not," Natalie assured him with a smile, leaning close to give him a soft kiss. "I'm just saying it's the man who's technically in charge of--"

"Prayers, Daddy," Baylee insisted as he snuggled down under the covers.

"Right…" Brian murmured as he leaned over his son to press a soft kiss to his forehead. When he saw that Baylee's hands were folded in prayer against his chest, Brian bowed his head as well, murmuring the prayer his mother always said with him before he drifted to sleep. "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. See me safely through the night and wake me with the morning light… Now you tell God about your 'Lana."

"Her's so nice," Baylee murmured, staring up at his ceiling. "Her makes me laugh an' always kisses my boo-boos away. An' her makes Nicky so happy - Nicky's the blonde one, God - I love her so much, an' when her fell today I was so scared. You got's to make her boo-boos go away. Please? Make her all better so Zachie has him's Mommy back? An'… I sowwy I called him 'that' for so long. He not so bad, he just a 'tinky baby…"

"Amen," Brian finished, fighting off a small smile as he kissed the side of Baylee's face once more. "Very beautiful, Scooper."

"'Lana come here'd when her let go from the hospital? I take care of her?" Baylee suggested as he reached for George and Simba that were still perched in Natalie's arms.

"We'll insist," Natalie promised as Brian tucked Baylee in. "And we'll set up the monitor so you can hear her if she needs you."

"Like the one for babies?" Baylee requested, turning on his side to reach for Alana's picture. Hearing his father's murmured yes, he lightly traced Alana's face with his finger. "Ni-night, 'Lana. I love you," he murmured, kissing the picture before replacing it on the table again.

"Somehow I think that Nicky's going to be in serious trouble if he asks 'Lana to marry him, especially when Bay-Bee's out to get her hand first," Natalie murmured softly as she watched Baylee drift into a comfortable sleep as she and Brian snuck from the room. Muffling a yawn against her hand, she followed Brian to the master bedroom, her body suddenly aching for sleep.

"You think it's that serious between them?" Brian inquired curiously.

"Well…" Natalie trailed thoughtfully as she kicked her shoes towards the closet. "She's staying with him, calls Zach her son… And Nicky was asking me about engagement rings the other day--"

"He asked you about engagement rings?" Brian blurted in shock, stumbling from his jeans as he fell backward onto his bed. "Why didn't he ask me?!"

"Maybe 'cause he knew you'd have a conniption?" Natalie suggested, stepping over to pick up his jeans. Tossing them into the hamper, she crawled onto the bed, cupping his face in her hands. "He said he was going to talk to you about it once he'd bought the ring, which I guess will be delayed with everything that's going on--"

"Do you think I jinxed her when I told her not to fall off the cliff? Y'know, when Nick was deathly ill?" Brian inquired quite seriously as he framed her hands with his.

"Bumpkin, you don't believe in jinxes," Natalie reminded him. "It was a freak accident, okay? And I know it sounds really morbid, but accidents happen. All we can do now is focus on her getting better. She's going to need our help, you know. What with the healing, and then we have to strap her down to make her rest… And when her physical therapy comes around--"

"Staying with us is really going to be in her best interest. She'd never be able to survive alone in her own home. Nick said it's two stories and she won't even be able to maneuver a pair of crutches till that cast comes off first… God, what's she going to do about her job?"

"We don't need to worry about that now, Bumpkin. She's got some sick and vacation time saved up, and even if she had to take a leave without pay, we'll take care of everything. She's our friend, and it's times like these when friends help each other," Natalie assured him, leaning down to softly kiss his forehead.

"AJ and Howie are going to be panting like dogs in heat," Brian murmured thoughtfully with a chuckle. "Nursing ain't holding her back from singing anymore…"

"Which means that during her convalescence she can be carried downstairs to record," Natalie added with a soft laugh.

"Where in God's name did you learn a word like convalescence?"

"Why does everyone around me think that I'm some airhead?"

"I don't think you're an airhead," Brian promised with a coo, leaning up to kiss her forehead.

"Yet you're always discombobulated when I say big words," Natalie sighed ruefully, nipping playfully at his neck before pulling away to finish undressing.

"Well Hell, it's like you're talking dirty to me!"

"…Do you want me to talk dirty to you?" Natalie questioned after a moment, glancing at him over her shoulder as she stepped out of her jeans.

"Nah, that's what those nine hundred numbers on AJ's cell phone are for," Brian murmured, turning onto his side to watch Natalie undress. He smiled at the way her neck gracefully curved to look to him, her wavy brunette locks spilling over her shoulder to accentuate the creaminess of her skin. The sweet curves of her body enticing him. "I love you, Natalie…"

"I love you - You call those nine hundred numbers?!" Natalie questioned in surprise, whirling around to face him.

"I said on AJ's phone!"

"Then how do you know about them?" she inquired, tossing her bra and shirt towards the hamper.

"He told me?"

"Recently?" she persisted, climbing back into the bed.

"Can I just make love with you?" he meekly inquired.

"What do they say? I mean, is it just a bunch of dirty talk like in a porn movie? Or do they ask about you so they know what you like?" Natalie questioned instead, pulling the covers over her as she rolled to face him.

Brian made a face of distaste. "How about I just give you the number and you can find out yourself?"

Giggling, Natalie slid closer, casually draping her legs over his. Catching his lips in a gentle kiss, she trailed her fingers down his chest. "How about you just whisper it in my ear while I show you how much better a real live person is?"