- Text Size +
"I've come to a conclusion. I know exactly why you make sure to treat me and the rest of the guys so damn sweet, so you can have us wrapped around your little fingers. That way, when you decide to go shopping, you have someone to lug the piles and piles of bags. That way you're free from the chance of getting some kind of disgusting hernia popping out of your skin like the blob from Hell," Howie huffed with a broken breath, stopping in the middle of the mall to shift the bags within his hands. Looking to Natalie, he shook his head with a playful glare before leaning over to kiss the top of her head. They had spent a few days in California searching for her home as well as Alana's. It had been tricky at first, but Howie managed to find a home that would suit Natalie's wants and needs, not to mention she had squealed over it for about three hours. Alana might be a harder case, but Howie assumed that at this state of her depression, she would settle for anything away from the group. But now… Now was the time for a massive shopping spree.

“I don't have you wrapped around my little finger,” Natalie cooed, looping her arm through Howie's as they made their way to the next store. She had realized after moving into her new home that she was in dreadful need of new clothing, and Howie had insisted on escorting her to the mall. “You were the one who refused to let me go shopping by myself, remember?”

"That's because I enjoy shopping with you, because you always seem to help me find women's clothing that would look absolutely fantastic on me…" Howie trialed, nudging her gently in the ribs to elicit her funny snort of a giggle. Since Alana was still in Kentucky, Howie decided it was best to lavish a significant amount of attention on Natalie. She needed comfort and support and would never find that in AJ, Brian, or Nick at this point.

“Do you think I dress too... Sexily?” Natalie questioned.

"…What?"

“My clothes, haven't you ever noticed? It's all low-cut or skin-tight or cut up to my crotch,” Natalie explained, chewing worriedly on her bottom lip.

"You've got a gorgeous body and you're proud of it… If I had your body, I'd flaunt it—"

“But... Maybe that's why I keep being so... I don't know...”

"Being so… What?"

“...Forward I guess is the word? Flirtatious?”

"You think your clothing makes you flirtatious with the wrong men?"

“Look at me, Howie,” Natalie sighed, taking a step away. Plucking at the hem of the halter top she wore, then tugging the waistband of her low-riding denim cutoffs, she quirked a brow at the man. “If I were leaning against a bar and licking my lips, would you honestly think I needed chapstick?”

"You always carry chapstick with you, so no--" Howie released a frustrated groan when Natalie rolled her eyes and moved toward the women's section of clothing. Ever since coming back to California the woman had been volatile to say the very least. One misspoken word and she was in a flurry of tears or screaming profanities. "Nattie, wait up! I just don't know what you're trying to say! Like, you think the way you dressed attracted Nick to you instead of Alana? What?"

“I think the way I dressed probably attributed to the way he acted around me... God, he was right!” Natalie cried, eyes widening slightly with realization. “I'm always half-naked and touching myself... I'm such a whore--”

"Natalie, you aren't a whore--"

“All I ever did was throw myself at him! I knew he could see me from the house when I was in the back yard by the pool, that's why I did what I did--”

"Did what?" Howie asked wearily, not understanding.

Natalie flushed at the memory, turning away so Howie would not see her eyes. “I... May have laid out in my bikini and... Kind of took off my top and rubbed oil on my chest--”

Howie blanked, his face falling to a look of horrified surprise, not understanding where the sweet, innocent sweetheart he had remembered disappeared to. "…You did what?"

“I all but played with myself right there in his back yard--”

"Because you knew he was watching?"

“Yes... But I didn't do it to get between him and 'Lana, Howie, honestly. This was right after Leighanne showed back up--”

"Well what did you think you were doing in the meantime? Nick and Alana were engaged, Natalie…"

“I know that,” Natalie promised, beginning to thumb through the rack of clothes in front of her. “I... God I don't know what's wrong with me. It's like I have some fascination with getting the approval of men...”

"You could always talk to a therapist if you think it would help…" Howie trailed, resting the bags of items at the side of a plush couch before taking a seat upon it, simply watching Natalie. "…Have you even thought about Alana through all this?"

“Of course I have... That's what makes it worse,” Natalie sighed.

"Oh, Nat…"

“Maybe I should just stay away from you all for a while... Hell, I've already thrown myself at you once, there's not a damn thing keeping me from doing it again--”

"Now you're just going overboard--"

“What, you're saying it wouldn't work?”

"You're being too hard on yourself… Well, not about realizing what you did, but deciding to go into some exclusion like a hermit. That's not you and you have a job to do. We're all friends and we're going to get through this."

“I broke up Alana's engagement to Nicky, or don't you remember what she caught us about to do? Neither one of them wants anything to do with me, Howie,” Natalie murmured with a shake of her head, flopping down onto the couch next to him. “...I need baggy pants and old woman type shirts...”

"You can be such a drama queen," Howie stated honestly, sliding his arm around her shoulders for a gentle squeeze. "It wouldn't hurt to have some more professional type clothing. Just so you feel comfortable instead of constantly made up for men. Alana wears baggy t-shirts and a pair of shorts and she's content. You should try it instead of just going to old hag overnight."

“Professional... Like those little mini-skirt suits--”

"Natalie…"

“How about khakis and pullovers?”

"Khakis and a professional button down shirt would be nice."

“And those nifty preppy type shoes?” Natalie questioned with a smile.

"Sounds good to me."

“And after we go shopping you'll take me dancing, right?” she murmured, sliding off the couch before scooping up several of her bags.

"How about dinner?" Howie suggested, wanting to help her as best he could.

“Burger King?”

"Anything you could possibly want off any side of the menu."

“You're so sweet, Howie,” Natalie promised, reaching for his hand. Now, there was another massive shopping spree to tend to.

"Does that mean you're not running away from us?"

“I'm not running away... I'm just backing off,” Natalie decided softly. It would do everyone a world of good.

"What does that even mean?" Howie sighed, not understanding as he stooped to grab the rest of her bags before allowing her to tug him elsewhere.

“I'll do most of my work from home, if that's alright with you. And I'll maybe try to find myself some more friends that aren't Backstreet Boys...”

"Going onto Nsync?"

Natalie shot him a glare, remembering how things had panned out between herself and JC. “Not fucking likely, Dorough.”

"Y'know… You had a great friend out of the Backstreet Boys…"

“...I did?”

"A fantastic one that you loved to pieces."

“...Are you talking about yourself, Howie?”

"Hell no, I'm in the Backstreet Boys…" Howie chuckled, reaching out to select a few pairs of loose fitting khakis for her to try. "I mean Alana… She was the best friend you've ever had and you owe it to yourself to try to fix that. You could spend some time with Kristin and work on that baby shower…"

“Do you think it would help?” Natalie whispered hopefully.

"I think it couldn't hurt."

Natalie hesitated for a moment, glancing down at the khakis Howie had chosen and wondering how the man knew her exact size. “But Leslie's helping with it too, and if she finds out that I've got a hand in it--”

"Talk to Kristin and have her talk to Leslie. I'm sure she can be amicable about the situation. Leslie is just really worried about Alana right now..."

“Okay... When you talk to 'Lana again... Think you could slip in how upset I am about everything that happened?”

"I could try… She has a new song she wants to do for the album when she comes back from Kentucky. That'll be the last song to make up the thirteen we have. So, she'll be spending a lot of time in the studio perfecting it… I can talk to her…"

“Thanks, Howie. I really appreciate everything you've done for me. It seems I've done nothing but alienate everyone else. I just want you to know how grateful I am, having you for a friend,” Natalie promised, slipping the bags she held into his empty hand as she scooped up the khakis he had chosen. Smacking a quick kiss on his cheek, she offered him a smile. “I'll go try these on...”

"Just don't run too far away from us, Nattie, we love you too much."

*~*~*

Half asleep, Brian rolled over in the large bed, reaching to pull, as he always did in the early hours of the morning, the extra pillow into his arms. It was the only way he could assure himself a decent night's sleep, having something to hold on to. However, his arm curled around a warm body, surprise registering slowly in his brain as he shifted his head. Opening one eye, he was surprised to see his hand resting gently on the bare, tan abdomen of a woman. Slowly moving his gaze up the lithe body, he jerked his head up in shock when he realized it was Alana. She lay next to him, her face soft, body relaxed as she remained asleep, one hand tucked beneath her pillow as his hand continued to lay on her stomach. “Dear God...”

Splaying his fingers, he was convinced that he would simply feel the softness of a pillow and yank himself from whatever dream was plaguing him. But, his fingers merely moved of the delicate smoothness of her sweet skin. Yanking his hand backward, he hadn't a clue what he had even done last night. Perhaps it was the glass of wine at dinner. He prayed that she wasn't nude, but when she shifted in the bed, turning toward him to nuzzle her face into his bare chest with a soft sigh, he suddenly hoped that she was. It was an odd mixture of emotions, though he was at a loss when he noticed the rumpled t-shirt hiked up her torso and the boxers clinging to her lower half. "…Damn…"

As she continued to sleep beside him, her face pressed delicately against his chest as her injured arm slid around his waist, holding him close, he regarded the roundness of her stomach, the toned muscles of her side. Perhaps he had been alone a little too long, but he allowed his hand to rest on her waist, delicately tracing her skin with his fingers. The warmth of her breath rushing across his skin coupled with the cushion of her breasts against his chest caused him to inhale deeply. His lips moved of their own accord to press a soft kiss against her neck.

Even within her sleep, Alana shivered in appreciation for the kiss he gave. Releasing a soft sigh, she snuggled closer to him till it seemed as if their bodies might melt together. It had been so long since she was wrapped into a loving embrace that wasn't filled with suspicion. Subconsciously, she craved for someone to appreciate her, even if it were for a moment.

Unconsciously, Brian slid his hand lower, drawing her leg over his hip as he allowed himself another taste of her skin. “God, Alana...”

"That tickles," she whispered sleepily, still seemingly in the sweet trance of sleep, the tips of her cast fingers twitching ever so slightly over his skin.

“Sorry,” he murmured, unable to resist nibbling softly at her earlobe.

"It feels good," she promised, curving her leg tighter over his hip, snuggling deeper against his chest with a sigh.

Brian's hand slid up her side, fingers toying with the bunched hem of her t-shirt. “Is it alright if I...”

"If you what?" Alana murmured, shying away slightly from his hand when it brushed up her side. Though, she slid closer when his fingers tangled in the hem of her t-shirt. Slowly, she cleared the sleep away from eyes, for a moment unfamiliar with her surroundings. But the sweet spicy scent that lingered around Baylee caused a flood of memories to rush back. Hurriedly looking up to assure it was Brian, she hesitantly bit down on her bottom lip. "Is it alright if you what?"

“Do this,” he whispered, catching her lips with his in a soft kiss. When her leg tightened around him in surprise, he allowed his fingers to dip beneath the hem of her t-shirt, pressing gently against the curve of her breast.

Alana's entire body tensed in surprise at first with his gesture. He had been so shy and embarrassed when he first asked if he could spend the night. He had gotten tired of being beaten to death by Baylee's incessant kicks during the night. He had wanted someone beside him, even if only for a few hours. She thought it was a sweet request and agreed whole heartedly. Now, she wasn't sure what to think when his hand moved to cup the warmth of her full breast, his kiss hardening. Pulling back, she nibbled lightly on his bottom lip with a laugh. "I think you're supposed to let me answer first…"

“Sorry,” he apologized with a ragged breath, his thumb idly brushing across her nipple. “...What's the answer?”

"If the answer was no, you would have had the shotgun in my closet pressed against some part of your anatomy," she teased with a small smile.

Smiling, Brian leaned close, allowing his lips to slide over hers in a gentle kiss as his finger continued to slowly manipulate her nipple.

"What exactly brought this on, B?" Alana murmured softly against his lips, returning the kiss with another. It had been so long since she was offered affection, so she relished in the attention, nibbling Brian's bottom lip in attempts to draw him closer.

“I'm not sure... It's alright though, isn't it?” Brian questioned softly, allowing his tongue to sweep between her lips for a tentative taste. His body craved her return of his attentions, shifting slightly so they were closer.

"It's alright," she assured, bringing her tongue to his for a swift stroke of appreciation. Sliding her good hand from beneath her pillow, she cupped the side of Brian's cheek, brushing her fingers against the fine stubble he refused to shave. Closing her lips over his tongue, she sucked softly, feeling the ragged moan rumble in his throat. "So much for not hitting on the goofy friend, huh?"

“You're not the goofy friend,” Brian promised with a soft moan, laying back so he could bring her over his body.

"You said before dinner that you'd take me out, but you didn't know about the whole 'hitting on me part,' remember?" Alana recalled, easily straddling his hips. Folding her injured arm over her rounding abdomen, she gazed down at him with the utmost curiosity, sliding her good fingers up to her warm lips. "Now, here we are… You wanted to spend the night. You wanted to sleep with me. I wake up to you sucking on my neck, nibbling my earlobe…"

“Are you complaining?” Brian inquired softly, his fingers splaying over her thighs. “I mean--”

"Hell no, I ain't complaining," she laughed, pulling her t-shirt over her abdomen. "I just find it amusing and that flustered look on your face is far too adorable not to entice--"

“So you just like tormenting me, huh?”

"Don't think of it as tormenting…"

“More like letting me get all worked up when we both know we won't be finishing anything?”

"You're the one that started it…"

Reaching up, Brian loosely tangled his fingers in her tousled locks, gently pulling her down for another gentle kiss. Sliding his other arm around her waist, he held her to him, nibbling gently at her tongue. “I can finish it, too...”

"Do you really want to, though?" Alana inquired with a soft sigh, divulging in the warmth of his mild kisses. Allowing him to undulate his tongue against hers in a soft, fluid movement, she whimpered slightly at the sensation pooling in the pit of her stomach. She could think of all the reasons in the world to do this - to hurt Nick, to hurt Natalie, to allow herself the opportunity to feel love once more. But what was best for Brian? She hadn't the heart to hurt him.

“Right now I do,” Brian whispered, shifting beneath her so she could feel what she was doing to him. Slipping his hand beneath her t-shirt, he traced the smooth planes of her back, moaning softly when she arched against him.

"And then what happens to that want afterwards?" Alana questioned honestly, brushing her thumb tenderly over his bottom lip.

“I don't know, Alana...”

"I don't want to hurt you, Brian, and as much as you want to get back at Natalie by sleeping with me--"

“God, this isn't about her, okay? It's about you and me--"

"And what about you and me?"

“That we both deserve some affection and--”

"How satisfactory that phone call to Nick will be when you tell him that my naked form is sleeping right next to you after what, I'm very sure, would be a beautiful sexual encounter?"

“I have no intentions of telling anyone what does or does not occur between us,” Brian promised.

“I don't want to hurt you or make you regret anything that does or does not occur between us."

“Would you regret it?” Brian questioned softly, tilting his head slightly when he thought he heard a car door slam outside.

"I'm pretty sure I'd regret the screeches of AJ in my ear when he finds out that you took the spot he was so steadily working on achieving…" Alana trailed with a bemused smile, hoping to elicit at least a chuckle from the man.

“Who said anyone would have to find out--”

"Not to bring up a sour note in our flourishing affair here, but I think that's what Nick and Natalie said to one another…"

“And I guess if we did do this, we'd really be no better than they are,” Brian sighed.

"Unfortunately, no matter how absolutely adorable you are…" Alana groaned, carefully sliding off his lap while tugging haphazardly at her tousled curls. "I'm sorry, Brian..."

“It's okay,” Brian promised with a smile, catching her hand in his so he could bring it to his lips for a quick kiss.

"I can make you an overwhelming delicious breakfast that'll stuff you till Thanksgiving?"

“While I go relieve myself in the bathroom? Sure!”

"Don't use any of my hand-towels please, their name is misleading," Alana groaned with a small laugh while Brian climbed out of her bed. Managing to secure her long curls into a clip with only one hand, she then reached to clamp her hand on his wrist, pulling him close. Capturing his lips in a soulful kiss, she wasted no time dipping her tongue into his mouth for several quick flicks till he moaned with appreciation. Helping his hand to brush down the curve of her filling breasts, she smiled. "That should help and any time you need a kiss, just grab me, 'kay?"

“'Kay...” Brian trailed softly, clearing his throat as she pulled away.

"Too much?" she guessed, moving toward the door with a firm blush.

“Not enough,” he whispered, knowing she would be unable to hear him as the front door banged loudly.

Shutting the door to her bedroom to leave Brian in privacy, she adjusted the sling over her shoulder that she had managed to grab somewhere in the process of romantically enticing Brian. Rolling her eyes at the persistent tap of the door, she pushed the stray curls that framed her face from the clip before hurriedly unlocking the door. Casting aside the pile of packages, she tugged on the door to open it. "What are you doing here so early--"

“Who's car is that in the yard?” Jeremy questioned the moment the door was open, casting a suspicious glance over her shoulder.

"Brian's car…" Alana trailed when she stepped back, stepping back when her ex-husband barreled in the doorway. He was a tall, muscular man, having spent more time outside working on construction like his crew than inside insisting on just performing the white collar job of his productive business. She knew better than to step in his way when he was perturbed unless she was aiming for a fight. Stifling a yawn against her good hand, she figured he would close the door as she moved into the kitchen to start breakfast. "He's a friend that spent the night."

“In your bed?” Jeremy guessed with a snort, following her to the kitchen. Kicking aside a discarded t-shirt, he wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"Did you want him to attempt to sleep in Colt's old bed?" Alana inquired without much thought to the statement, starting to retrieve items from the fridge to start her breakfast. She would fry up some sliced potato chunks, cook some sausage and bacon, start a fresh batch of pancakes, and finish with eggs. It would be enough to satisfy Brian for the day. Or so she hoped.

“And where is Casanova now?” Jeremy inquired, scowling towards the stairs before he moved to linger in the doorway.

"Upstairs getting a shower," Alana answered, gesturing for Jeremy to peel the potatoes for her. "But he's hardly a Casanova. He's a friend, Steel… And, what does it matter to you that he spent the night?"

“It doesn't,” Jeremy defended as he moved to get a knife from the block. “I thought you were with some other guy, though?”

"I am… I mean, I was… I… Steel, he cheated on me."

“Holy shit, does the dumbass want to die?” Jeremy breathed in horror.

“Is that your way of saying I'm some kind of monster?" Alana laughed in surprise, skillfully whipping up a batch of homemade pancake batter despite her handicap. She had cooked for so long and enjoyed it so much that the hindrance of her arm only seemed to make it a challenge to succeed.

“Well... When you get upset, you do get rather... Monstrous,” Jeremy replied with a grin as he continued to peel the potatoes.

“Alana, my boxers got wet when I got out of the shower, do you have anything... Oh.” Brian came to a stop just inside the kitchen when he saw the man standing at the counter. Pulling the towel tighter around his waist, he felt a blush hit his cheeks when the man turned to look at him.

"Well ain't this awkward," Alana drawled, placing a hand to her cheek to enhance the innocent expression crossing her beautiful features. "Past lover meets current lover! Brian, this is my ex-husband, Steel-er-Jeremy… Steel, this is Brian. And, yeah, I've got enough baggy boxers in my dresser drawers to keep you stocked for a year."

“I'd shake your hand, but I don't have a hankering to see what's under that towel,” Jeremy told Brian with a quick nod to acknowledge the introduction. Waving the knife carelessly towards the man, he offered his ex-wife a secretive smile. “Sparkles stole enough of my boxers while we were married to keep you in'em for ages...”

"It ain't stealing when you saw me take them and said I looked so cute in them that you'd rather go naked than deprive me of them," Alana corrected with a playful roll of her eyes, taking a slice of strawberry she had cut to pop into her mouth. "And, I've bought enough boxers over the years to make sure that you never have to wear a pair of Steel's. I think they'd fall right off your backside--"

“Which drawer?” Brian interrupted.

"Top right," Jeremy answered.

“Thanks,” Brian muttered before turning to bolt back upstairs.

Hearing the sharp slam of the bedroom door, Jeremy shrugged as he began to slice the potatoes. “If he ain't damn near skittish... What'd you do, break out the restraints on the first night?”

"Awe, Steel," Alana cooed while prepping the pan to pour her batter into. "No, he's just got manners…"

“And they include strolling downstairs dripping wet and half-naked?” Jeremy questioned with a chuckle as he stooped to retrieve the cast iron pan Alana always fried potatoes in. Placing it on the stove, he reached for the oil.

"No, that's just a nice bonus perk for a pregnant lady."

“How are the little ones doing?” Jeremy demanded softly, instinctively reaching to gently caress her rounded abdomen as he waited for the pan to heat. She had told him the day before of her pregnancy, and though part of him wished he was the father, he was happy that she had that sparkle in her eyes once again.

"I think they're doing okay," Alana promised, glancing down when his hand lingered on her swollen tummy to continue his affectionate rubs. She was surprised to find him so enthralled with the pregnancy, especially since they were separated from one another. "They started kicking the other day. Well, the one did. He waits till I'm almost asleep and kicks, like I'm not allowed to fall asleep before him."

“Tell your Ma she should know better,” Jeremy murmured towards her stomach before turning away to get the bowl of sliced potatoes.

"I'll try to remember next time the brat wants to stay up till four in the morning when nausea starts at six…"

“Well he can't help it,” Jeremy chided with a chuckle as he tossed the potatoes into the heated oil. “Hand me the salt, Sparkles...”

"Why do you call her Sparkles?" Brian suddenly questioned when he stepped into the kitchen, feeling far less self-conscious in a pair of jeans, a belt cinched tight against his waist, and a t-shirt. He rubbed his damp sandy blonde locks furiously before stepping up behind Alana, taking her waist into his hands to lead her aside, not wanting her to over-exert herself with breakfast. Stealing the spatula, he gestured for her to continue to enjoy her strawberries while he tended to the pancakes.

“'Cause when she gets really excited her eyes get all electrified, and she just sparkles,” Jeremy explained with a fond smile for Alana. “You should see her when she gets aroused--”

"Steel," Alana immediately chided with a firm blush rising to her cheeks, moving to the fridge to get the hot fudge to dip her strawberries into. No one needed to know about her aroused states, much less Brian…

“And when she gets madder than Hell, her eyes start spittin' fire,” Jeremy warned with a chuckle, nudging Brian hard in the ribs.

"I know," Brian promised with a low mutter, concentrating on flipping the pancakes instead of saying something to the ex-husband that might get him pummeled. He was much smaller than Jeremy and, even if he didn't know the law of physics, he did know the laws of ass-kicking.

“And just what are your intentions with my Sparkles?” Jeremy questioned as he stirred the potatoes, knowing Alana liked them nice and crispy.

"Steel," Alana immediately groaned when she sunk her finger deep into the fudge on accident. "I told you that he's just a friend--"

“Ain't I allowed to make sure?”

"Would you tell him, B, and get him off my case?" Alana inquired hopefully.

“I'm just a friend,” Brian promised vehemently.

"C'mon, what kind of man could lie in bed next to me all night and not get horny, Steel?" Alana included, nibbling the fudge from her finger. "You were always whining like a dog in heat."

"So, you're a homosexual?" Jeremy concluded with appreciation. "Nothing like bringing the truth to that Broke-Dick Mountain movie."

“I'm not homosexual. I just got out of a really bad relationship,” Brian explained in a monotone, hoping to keep the hurt from his voice as he expertly flipped the pancakes onto a plate.

"Hey! What do you think of the name Matthew?" Alana suddenly asked, popping the last strawberry into her mouth before moving to retrieve the sausage and bacon from their sizzling pan. She glanced between the two men, waiting for their approval, knowing that Brian really didn't want to talk about the pain in his heart. Just mentioning Natalie brought a wave of tears into his eyes. "And Isaiah?”

“I like them,” Brian promised.

"Or Mackenzie and Isabella?" Alana continued, walking with the men to the dining table with the serving plates of food. Taking her seat, she had already assured that their places were set with the necessities, now they would just have to dig in. "And then I really like Matthew and Mackenzie for a boy and girl…"

“I like the name Madeline for a girl...” Brian trailed thoughtfully as he poured himself a glass of milk. “Maddy and Matt...”

"I love Mackie and Mattie," Alana suggested.

“That sounds really nice,” Brian agreed with a smile.

"Are you sure he's not the father?" Jeremy questioned suddenly, regarding the exchange between the two, though he gave Brian an oppressive glare at the mere thought.

“If I was the father, she would be married and living in my home by now. Not to mention, I would never leave her side for any reason at all,” Brian informed the man with a matching glare.

"What the Hell is your problem, powder-puff?" Jeremy snorted in surprise, pouring Alana a large glass of orange juice.

“Other than the fact that you keep looking at me like I got the last slice of cake? Nothing!” Brian exclaimed, scraping his chair back so he could retrieve Alana's vitamins.

"Well, I call it like I see it, Son."

“You know, maybe if you'd been a little more understanding when your son died, we wouldn't be having this conversation,” Brian pointed out as he snatched the bottle off the shelf by the window.

Alana paled at the blunt accusation Brian flung. Her cool teal eyes widened in surprise when he slapped the vitamins into her hand, insisting that she take them. But she could only look to Jeremy, self consciously wetting her lips in hope that he would remain calm despite the dagger flung in his direction. "Brian…"

“I'm sorry,” Brian whispered to Alana as he dropped into his seat.

“I guess it never occurred to you, powder-puff, that I was grieving just as much as she was?”

"Steel, don't get on his case--"

“I'm not, I'm just stating facts,” Jeremy interrupted, continuing to glare at Brian.

"It's not something that you two should be discussing. What's done is done. We're divorced and that's how it's always going to be--"

“Something tells me you wish it wasn't,” Brian murmured softly, glancing from one to the other.

Alana felt her heart physically leap to her throat. "Excuse me?"

“It's obvious that he still loves you, still has feelings for you,” Brian explained, pushing his chair back once more. Getting to his feet, he scooped up his plate and glass. “I'll just go eat this out on the back porch...”

"And why should you care about what Steel has or doesn't have for me?" Alana questioned, her temper steadily reaching a boiling point when she stood from the table. Suddenly, she had lost her desire to eat anything, so exhausted from the constant bickering and upstaging in her life. "I am so sick and tired of men needing their ego stroked and everyone trying to be better than someone else. Proving that they're still some kind of hot flame in another's life when the other is obviously linked. It's sickening the way you need to validate your manhood or your sense of ability to make someone desire you. So, please, don't let me stop this battle of maleness. Just let me know when someone kills the other so I can wipe up the blood."

“I'm not going to deny that I still love Sparkles,” Jeremy announced calmly as he cut into his pancakes. “Hell, she should know that I do. What we shared was wonderful, and yes, I still care for her. I want her to be happy. I'm not here to woo her back or to coerce her into anything.”

Brian waited for Alana to speak, but she simply left the kitchen without a word. He heard her soft footsteps on the stairs and the slamming of a door, knowing ultimately her decision had been made. "And how about you just lay your deck on the table and stop bullshitting now that she's gone. You see the money she's racking up and now you want her back--"

“You are so full of yourself, ain't you? You figure that just 'cause you want her, every other man does too? It ain't like that at all, powder-puff. I'm perfectly content when the woman I have in my life now.”

"Then why the Hell are you still sniffing around her if you have another woman?"

“Because she and I have a son that we buried two years ago, and we both visit his grave every year.”

"Grave visit is over, Pal, so move on," Brian growled.

“I'll leave when Sparkles tells me to.”

"You're just going to end up hurting her," Brian insisted, throwing his plate down to the table. "If you have another woman, then just go be with her. Why is it so important to stay around here?"

“I don't see where it's any of your Goddamn business.”

"She's important to me, so it makes it my Goddamn business!"

“Guess it just kills your scrawny ass that she invites me over, huh?”

"Then it must just grind your gizzard that she asks me to spend the night in her bed to hold her, huh?"

“Not at all. She's free to do whatever she wants.”

"Guess I should have taken her offer on making love early this morning then…"

“Too bad you wasted your load on your boxers, then...”

And that's when Brian took the first swing.