- Text Size +

The Dog Days of Summer

(From AJ’s POV)

I’m walking through Howie’s house looking for, anything to occupy my time, while he and I both wait for the others to show up. Well Howie’s house isn’t exactly a house more like an apartment or something like that. Should have known he wouldn’t spend his success on huge mansions like the rest of us, no smart boy invested it.

It’s strange to be here so early for once in my life. Ever since I’ve been fully clean, I wake up earlier than what was considered normal for me back when I was seriously messed up with my own personal demons. Man the shit I pulled on all four of them is insane. I’m lucky to be alive especially since Kevin nearly took my head off a few times.

Some people think that Nick is the antagonist to Kevin and really it was and probably still is me. With all of his worrying about my health no wonder he’s starting to go gray. Nick on the other hand has grown up a lot, surprisingly.

I walk into Howie’s room since he’s in the shower, something he said about working out too hard this morning or something like that. I’d probably know if I’d have been more than half listening than staring at Shakira on TV. I walk over to his bed and sit for a minute then stand remembering that he’s finally got a steady woman. I shake my head and laugh at my immature action, the bed probably doesn’t have anything on it considering he’s such a neat freak. But still you never know.

I see that the drawer in his nightstand is partially open. Me, being the nosey person that I am, I look around and then open it and what I see makes me nearly die laughing. Purple condoms, purple fucking condoms, only Howie would have that I swear to God. I quietly close the drawer and walk back to the living area.

But I still cannot stop laughing about what I just saw. The doorbell rings and I walk over and answer it of course seeing Nick standing there, looking for once not too bad, finally he cut his friggin hair that had been pissin’ everyone off. He also looked a little worried for a minute. “What’s up, bro?” I ask.

“Parents are fucking retarded, oh and Brian and Kev are gonna be late their flight was delayed from Kentucky because of a storm or something.” Nick replied sound tired and exasperated. I looked at him and for once I was grateful that my dad had walked out so long ago. I didn’t have to go through my parents’ painful divorce like he is now. “Worse part of it all is that my dad’s engaged, Leslie is blaming me for mom cheating on him, Angel and Aaron are caught in the crossfire and BJ can’t stop getting into trouble.” He finished as he walked over to Howie’s massive cd collection, and hit the play button on the stereo to see what he had recently listened to.

No sooner did the cd start, Nick looked over at me and started cracking up, I couldn’t help it either. “Since when does D listen to Elvis Presley’s greatest hits?” I remarked with a laugh.

“It’s the woman he’s with, Mary, she’s corrupting his style.” Nick shot back.

“Hey, Elvis was cool, besides Mary is good for him.”

“Yeah but Howie listening to Elvis, come on? But I guess so about Mary I haven’t really ever gotten to talk to her but she seems ok.” Nick replied.

“So, how’s the love life with you right now?” I asked immediately knowing the answer.

“Single and hating it, I’m sick of being alone.” He answered back.

“Then go find a girl.” I reminded.

“Yeah, one that my mother would approve of? I don’t think so.” He replied. “All of the girls I meet are only looking for one of two things…” He trailed off.

I knew how he felt, it’s the same with me, I can never find a woman who’s really going to be there at your darkest moments and still love you, when they’re not drooling over your bank account. “Well at least we know it’s not impossible, look at Rok and Kev, they made out damn well.”

“Yeah I guess so.” Nick replied back as Howie came into the room.

“As soon as the others get here we’ll start the meeting.” He announced smiling a little.

Nick and I looked at each other and just started laughing.