- Text Size +
Leaning forward in his chair, Brian looked around the private waiting room. Kevin sat beside him, flicking through a well-thumbed copy of Sports Illustrated and glancing at his watch every few minutes. A pack of cards had been found and Hannah and Alex sat together at a small table playing a subdued game of snap. Brian noticed Hannah was paying little attention to the game, her eyes moving distractedly around the room and resting on Kevin whenever he looked at his watch. He was about to speak when the door opened and an orderly pushed a blonde woman in a wheelchair into the room. Brian straightened in his chair and Kevin looked up from his magazine.
"Cassie..." Brian began carefully. "Hi."
Laying his cards on the table, Alex looked at Hannah as the orderly wheeled Cassie towards the table. The last traces of colour had drained from her face and she fixed her eyes on the tabletop.
"They told me Nick's friends were here," Cassie replied flatly. "They didn't tell me his whore was here."
Nobody spoke. The orderly cleared his throat and bent towards Cassie.
"Would you like me to take you back to your room?" he asked.
"It's okay," Hannah said quickly. "She doesn't have to leave. I'll go."
Alex stood as Hannah pushed her chair back and picked up her purse.
"I'll go with you."
"No, it's okay," Hannah replied. "I'll be right outside."
The room was silent as she turned and followed the orderly out of the room. The door clicked shut behind her and she leaned back against the wall, sinking to the floor as the reality of Cassie's presence washed over her. Pulling her knees up to her chin, she wrapped her arms around her legs and bent her head.
"Ma'am? Are you okay?"
The orderly was looking at her, his hands on his hips and concern etched on his face. Hannah nodded.
"I'm fine. I just need a minute."
"Okay, if you're sure..."
"I'm sure," Hannah replied. "Thank you."

Inside the waiting room, Cassie looked at Nick's friends, her eyes finally resting on Alex.
"How long has she been here?" she asked.
"Here in the hospital? A couple of hours. Maybe three," he replied. "We've been waiting a long time."
"And you've seen Nick?"
Alex shifted uncomfortably and Brian stood up.
"Alex and Hannah had a couple of minutes with him before he went for the scans," he said as he crossed the room and took Hannah's place at the table. "Cassie, she doesn't mean any harm. She's just worried about Nick. We all are."
Cassie's eyes widened.
"You're defending her?" she demanded. "I don't believe this..."
"Nobody's defending her," Brian replied.
"It sure sounds like you're defending her," Cassie retorted. "I'm his wife. His wife. Who is she?"
"She's the mother of his child," Alex pointed out. "No matter what else was or is going on with them, she's the mother of his child. She has every right to be worried about him."
Cassie narrowed her eyes at him across the table.
"How come you've got so much to say about it? What is she to you?"
"Are you serious?" Alex asked, leaning towards her.
"Alex..." Kevin cautioned, dropping his magazine on the seat next to him.
"She's nothing to me. But she's out here with her kid in a strange city and the only other person she knows is flat on his back in hospital. She has nobody else. When did you become so heartless?"
"Alex," Kevin repeated. "Ease up."
"Heartless?" Cassie echoed. "You think I'm being heartless? You know what, Alex? I think I'm allowed to indulge in some self-pity right now, don't you?"
"Self-pity is one thing. But how about you have a little pity for Hannah, huh?"
Three pairs of eyes fixed on him.
"What are you talking about?" Cassie asked. "Why would I pity her?"
Alex sighed, leaning back in his chair and holding up his hands.
"You know what? If you can't figure that out for yourself, you really are heartless."
Cassie stared at him and Brian looked across the table at Kevin. His cousin was bent forward in his seat, his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped. Brian arched an eyebrow at him and Kevin cleared his throat.
"None of us know Hannah any better than you do, Cassie. And you know where our loyalties lie," he said carefully. "What Nick did to you was low. But what he did to Hannah was just as bad. He might not have been married to her, but you're not the only one who's been hurt in all this. Hannah and Jack had no control over anything Nick did."
Cassie looked down at her hands. Picking at the plastic ID bracelet around her wrist, she spoke quietly.
"I'd like to go back to my room."
Brian reached towards her, laying his hand over hers.
"Cass, the doctor could be here any second with some news. Don't you want to stay for that?"
"I'd like to go back to my room," Cassie repeated.
Brian got to his feet silently and pulled her wheelchair away from the table. Kevin and Alex watched without speaking as Brian pulled the door open and they disappeared into the hallway.

Hannah looked up as the waiting room door opened and Brian pushed Cassie's chair out into the corridor. Getting to her feet, she wiped her hands on her jeans and looked at Cassie. Several uncomfortable seconds passed before Brian spoke.
"I'm taking Cassie back to her room."
Hannah nodded and Brian pushed the wheelchair past her.
"Wait," Cassie said, her hands gripping the wheels. "I want to say something."
Brian stopped and stood silently while Cassie and Hannah eyed each other, half expecting a fight to break out.
"You and Nick... You're together?" Cassie asked.
Hannah nodded.
"You love him?"
Hannah nodded again.
"And I bet he says he loves you, too."
Hannah cast a nervous glance at Brian and Cassie continued.
"I bet he says he doesn't want to spend a single night away from you. I bet he tells you this is it for him - you're all that matters."
She stopped speaking and smiled sadly.
"Don't believe everything he tells you. Look where I've ended up."
Hannah swallowed hard and Brian looked at his shoes.
"You take care of yourself and that little boy of yours because nobody else will," Cassie went on. "When it all turns to shit with Nick - and it will turn to shit - the two of you will only have each other."
Reaching up, she patted Brian's hand.
"Let's go."