- Text Size +

I completely ignored the guard that was standing in the corner as I wiped the tears from my cheeks as they fell. I’m sure he was going to make fun of me for crying later, but I didn’t really care at the moment. Two people I cared about more than anything else in this world came to see me…the look of anguish on Kevin’s face immediately made my heart sink.

“God Nicky….” he whispered as he wrapped me into the tightest hug I think I ever got from him in my entire life. He withdrew me from the hug, looking me over for a moment and then he hugged me again.

What seemed to be an eternity, Kevin finally released me from the bear hug, turning me over to his cousin. Brian practically imitated the hugs from Kevin and I suddenly grew worried that the guard in the corner would tell me that my time was up and we would never have a chance to talk!

“How are you holding up?” Kevin asked, I was aware that he was looking at what I assumed was my disheveled appearance and I instantly felt uncomfortable.

“As best as I can,” I answered truthfully, embarrassed that they had to see me like this.

Tears started to form in Brian’s eyes as he asked, “How on earth did this happen Nick?”

I could only shrug my shoulders to that question. “To be honest, I have no idea what happened….it’s all blank in my mind.”

Kevin could only shake his head at my answer. “You gotta have some type of clue. Don’t you remember anything?”

Damn Kevin with his interrogations! I always felt horrible when he demanded answers to things I did….even if it was AJ that did something wrong, I was the one that got blamed for shit because I was never an effective liar; that and the fact that I was the first one that always seemed to get pegged by Kevin because I was the youngest.

“Did you hear what I said Nick?”

’Crap, I spaced out…’

“Yeah, I heard you….I don’t know Kev..the last thing I remembered was taking a shower before I guess I went out,” answered, suddenly feeling awkward about talking about showering. “I know that is something I would love to do right now,” I mumbled.

Brian gave me a strained smile. “I can tell that you haven’t done that for a while.”

“Hair’s probably looking pretty greasy I suppose,” I gestured to my head.

Kevin looked at me, wide-eyed. “You haven’t been able to do that?”

“No, I guess we are only allowed twice a week….they have weird rules and stuff and god forbid that I question anything around here,” I grumbled directing my eyes toward the guard in the corner.

“You have two more minutes Carter!”

Hearing the man shout my last name, I winced. Immediately, Kevin stood up, opening his arms to hug me one last time.

“Is there anything I can do for you Nick?” Kevin whispered as he pulled me close.

As much as I hated to ask, I knew I had to….”Could you throw a few dollars into my account before you leave, I have to buy my own crap…soap, deodrant and shampoo. They don’t give you that stuff I guess.”

“Don’t worry about that stuff,” Brian said quietly. “Just think positive.”

“It’s kinda hard to.”

“Nick, you really have to try,” Kevin pressed. “It would be too easy to get depressed in this place and just give up.”

I shook my head. “It would be kind of hard to try and kill myself in here..”

Brian’s eyes grew wide no doubt at the thought. “Kevin’s not talking about that; were you Kev?”

“No! I’m just saying that you just need to keep your chin up. I talked to your attorney and he sounds like he is doing his best to get you out of this mess.”

I rolled my eyes at Kevin’s words. ‘It would take a huge miracle to get me out of the felony charge.’

The guard walked over to me and took my arm. “Time’s up.”

“We’ll be back,” Kevin promised as I had no other choice but to go in the direction the guy was pulling me.

“Is something wrong with your leg?” Brian called out.

“He probably hurt it in the car accident….”

I didn’t get a chance to answer them, but I heard Kevin’s theory; besides I couldn’t have answered the question if I wanted to. I was quickly pulled through the open door.

“Strip down pretty boy,” a new guard ordered that was waiting for me in the room.

’Pretty boy?!’ That was a phrase I had grown to hate when the band first started out. The media loved to call me pretty boy especially when the rumors were spread that I was gay.

After the other guard left the room, I was alone with this new guy. Suddenly I felt a little nervous at this man’s prying eyes.

”Pretty boy, get a move on!”

’I knew exactly what that guy was after..’

“Why don’t you come over here and help me then,” I sneered, instantly regretting my smart mouth.

Before I could correct my comment, the guard lunged at me, knocking me onto the hard cement floor. ”Listen here smart guy, you don’t ever talk to authority like that!” The guy started pounding the side of my head with a closed hand. When he grew tired of smacking my head, he tossed a few punches to my side. ”Get up!”

Slowly I turned over, trying my best to get up on my feet. Pausing on my hands and knees, I saw blood dripping onto the floor. ’I’m bleeding!’

”I don’t have all day Carter, get your ass up!”

‘This guy was going to be in so much trouble for doing this,’ I thought to myself as I sat on my knees, slowly gathering the strength to stand.

The man snickered as he watched me stand. Evidently he knew what I was thinking. “Don’t even think you can report this, cause I am filing a report that you were attacking me.”

‘How the hell could he get away with what he just did to me? Wasn’t there some cameras or something that would be watching this room?’

Instead of just being walked out of the room and back to my cell, the guy decided I needed to be handcuffed.

“I’d have your ass shackled, but I don’t have the time or the energy to call for backup…get your pretty ass moving,” the guard said as he tugged at the handcuffs, making them press hard into my wrists.

“Do you get off on hurting me for some reason?” I grumbled, feeling a little safer now that he had me away from the room and out in the open.

“You have no idea.”

I could tell that blood was starting to run down the side of my face, the side of my scrub shirt was starting to feel wet.

“I guess I have to take your ass down to the infirmary and have the nurse check you over,” the man growled, stopping me. He pushed my head to the side. “Yeah, looks like you’re going to need stitches…what a pity. That pretty face is going to have a scar.”