- Text Size +

Aaron apologized for not being able to stick around and help me sort out last night. He told me that he was going to check back on me later. I think that was the last thing I really wanted him to do anyways. I mean I got myself into one hell of a mess and whatever I had done was probably something stupid but no doubt definitely embarrassing!

I mean, think about it, I probably shoved someone in a bar and he fell and the place called the cops and I got popped for assault. That has to be what happened, I decided with a shrug.

One thing I definitely needed to do was grab a shower to get the nasty ‘jail smell’ off my skin. Maybe that would give me a better perspective of what the hell went on last night that landed me in jail.

Once I showered, I discovered three things:

1. I still didn’t know what the fuck happened last night.

2. I had a huge assed headache!

3. I still hadn’t heard from Bean.

“Maybe Bean could fill me in about last night.”

I picked up my house phone and dialing his cell, I was immediately put to his voice mail.

“Hey Bean, its Nick gimme a call back when you get this.”

Great, no Bean and no clue to what happened last night.

“Shit! My head fricken hurts,” I said to an empty room. This had to be one of the worst hangovers I’ve ever had in my life!

Sighing, I walked into the kitchen, glancing at the envelopes that I tossed on the counter. Once I got 3 Tylenols down I stared at the envelope with my name on the front from Hillsborough County Jail.

“I guess I better read what this has to say.”

I held my breath as I tore open the letter.

Carter, Nickolas Gene 0713200713572 01/28/80 State of Florida vs Carter

Preliminary Hearing has been set for July 30, 2007 at Hillsborough County District Court, 10:00 a.m.

I think I read that letter three times and it still didn’t bring anything back to me what went on. The words Hillsborough District Court had me a little worried. I had only been to the county court before but that was for basic traffic tickets and signing documents, nothing else.

Okay, maybe this is because I did hit someone? But why would it be the State of Florida and not the person I hit? It still didn’t tell me what I needed to know. Maybe if I called the phone number on the letter?

“You need to call your attorney, dumbass," I sighed.

Pulling out my wallet, I found the business card for my attorney. It took me a couple of minutes of deep breathing, trying to calm myself before I dialed the phone. I have paid this guy big bucks to help me out when I’ve been in scrapes before, why am I acting so paranoid about calling him now?

Simple…..because I’ve never been so scared in my life!

 

******

”Great! he told me he’d call me right back and it’s been over an hour. What the fuck?! Maybe he forgot that he was suppose to call me back….okay Carter, you’re rambling here. It’ll be fine.”

I rubbed my face with the palm of my hand, trying calm myself. He was a busy man, I decided. Maybe he got interrupted before he could call me back and let me know what the court wanted with me.

“Yeah, that’s gotta be it…”

After I walked three feet toward the kitchen, my cell phone ran. I literally sprinted to grab it from the table and flipped it open.

“Yeah?”

“Nick, this is Rick Davis.”

I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up at the sound of his voice. He sounded more serious than when I had talked to him earlier.

“I just got off the phone with Hillsborough D.A.”

“I told you to call the court, why did you call the D.A.? This is something really stupid I did, right?”

“I’m afraid it doesn’t look very good, in fact I have some bad news……right now you’re facing a Third Degree Felony DUI and if the victim doesn’t make it………”

My mind shut down after I heard the words if the victim..

“Nick? Did you hear me?”

I blinked several times, trying to pull myself back from the fog my mind had gone into. “Huh?”

“I asked you if you needed me to call someone for you, I’m concerned.”

“I’ll be okay. H-h—“ I had to stop and clear my throat, “how is the other person?”

“That I haven’t found out yet, give me some time and I’ll check back when I find out. You sure you’re going to be okay? Maybe you should call your father or your mother?”

“Um, I’ll be okay. Just keep me posted.”

“Alright Nick. I’ll be talking to you again soon.”

“Thanks.”

I didn’t wait for a reply back from Rick, instead I closed my phone and sank down to the floor, drawing my knees up to my chest.

Scared shitless.