- Text Size +

 

 

It seemed like an eternity waiting in the long line for my turn to use a phone. CJ told me I was crazy to even think that I would get to a phone at nine; the lines were always far too long. He doesn’t know how determined Nick Carter can be!

 

 

Despite my day starting out badly, I was fortunate enough to find myself next in line to use the phone and the clock on the wall indicated it was only nine thirty-five. What CJ failed to tell me, I realized when I lifted the receiver, that I needed to know my assigned inmate number!

 

 

”Carter!”

 

 

I winced when I heard the guard yelling out my name.

 

 

“Can’t you see I’m using the phone?”

 

 

“Hang up, you have to come with me!”

 

 

“After I’m done with the phone,” I growled.

 

 

The guard immediately pulled the receiver from my hand and slammed the phone down. ”You do what I tell you to do, asshole.”

 

 

I glared at the old man that was towering over me where I was sitting.

 

 

“Fuck you!” I immediately regretted uttering those words when the man jerked me from my seat. I probably will get reported and punished for swearing at the man!

 

 

“I don’t have time for you….you’re a pain in the ass,” the man muttered as he pulled me along by the arm.

 

 

I jerked my arm away from him, he was leading me faster than my bum leg would allow and it was hurting me.

 

 

“I’ll follow you,” I said quickly.

 

 

The man didn’t release his grip from my arm. “You lost that chance when you swore at me. Swearing doesn’t earn points buddy.”

 

 

I narrowed my eyes at him. Buddy? “I’m sorry I swore at you, it’s just that I waited in line to use the phone and when I finally got to it---“

 

 

“Shut up! I really don’t care to hear about your problems,” the guard hissed as he led me into a windowless room. “Strip down.”

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“Take your clothes off!”

 

 

My eyes widened at his request. Was this how prison rape happens?

 

 

“Why?” I squeaked.

 

 

“Strip seach,” he grunted.

 

 

Shit! They did this when I first got here…it was really embarrassing because you have to stand naked in front of the guards as they looked you over and then they have you turn around and bend over and spread your legs so they can look at your ass! I honestly didn’t want to do this again.

 

 

“Please, can I just go back to my cell?”

 

 

The guard looked anything but pleased at my request.

 

 

“You’re incarcerated, you do as I say when I say it.” He narrowed his eyes at me. ”STRIP DOWN NOW!”

 

 

The words gay sprung into my head as I took off my clothes; hands shaking as I complied with the man’s demands. Once he finished with my humiliation of being looked at stark naked, he told me it was okay to get dressed again.

 

 

Tears pooled in my eyes as I got dressed; I wanted to die after suffering from the visual inspection. Once I got dressed the guard opened the door that I hadn’t noticed before.

 

 

Inside the next room was a table and two chairs. A man wearing a business suit was seated at the table. He stood up when I entered the room, extending his hand out for me to shake.

 

 

“Frank Russo,” the man said.

 

 

I took the man’s hand and shook it, puzzled as to why this guy was here.

 

 

He seemed to have read my mind. “I was contacted by your family attorney to take this case.”

 

 

He gestured to the empty chair, indicating to sit down.

 

 

“Hands on the table, Carter!” the guard barked as soon as I put my hands in my lap. Looking at Frank, I rolled my eyes and then placed my hands on top of the table.

 

 

“Do you know why you’ve been arrested again after bail had been posted?”

 

 

I nodded. That was one of the questions, but I suddenly decided it would be better for him to talk and me to listen at this point.

 

 

“The D.A. from Tampa—“

 

 

‘Boy, I wished this guy would start out in English!’ I thought to myself. Again, he read my mind and he quickly repeated himself.

 

 

“The district attorney from Tampa issued a warrant for your arrest after he reviewed your case. He felt there was a mistake in allowing bail.”

 

 

“A mistake?”

 

 

“The district attorney feels that because you’re facing a possible felony DUI that you shouldn’t be allowed to be free on bail. I am working to get this expunged.”

 

 

“Expunged?” why the hell didn’t this guy speak in layman’s terms…..

 

 

“Reverse it, strike out.”

 

 

“Oh,” I replied dully. It wasn’t that I didn’t care what this Frank guy was saying to me, he was just saying terms that I had no freaking idea what he was telling me.

 

 

“Do you have any questions for me?”

 

 

Boy, did I have questions for him! “No one has died?” I was afraid to hear the answer.

 

 

“When I checked before I left my car to come in here..no, no one has expired.”

 

 

Forgetting where I was, I automatically put my hands down to rub the sweat off my palms.

 

 

”CARTER! Hands on the desk!”

 

 

“How soon can I get out?”

 

 

Frank gave me a soulful looking smile. “I’m working on it.” Without any further words, he stood up and shook my hand again. “Hang in there Nick.”

 

 

I raised my eyebrows at the last remark. “That’s pretty much all I can do around here.”

 

 

As soon as my meeting with the attorney started, it ended and I once again found myself being led into the windowless room. Thankfully, instead of being asked to strip down, the guard patted me down.

 

 

“What the hell….you just stood in the room with me,” I protested.

 

 

“Just doing my job smartass.”

 

 

Once he was done frisking me, he led me out of the room. My hopes in finding the phones available when he took me back to the large area were quickly dashed as I found that the line was even longer than the first time! I think the guard sensed my frustration because he snickered as we walked into the area.

 

 

“Don’t get your hopes up Carter,” he muttered as he let go of my arm. “I heard you’re going to be called in for work detail soon.”

 

 

Work detail?! I wanted to know what they had planned for me, but I pushed that thought aside since I knew this guard had it out for me for some reason.

 

 

Luck was on my side this time when the long line became shorter and before I knew it, I was actually sitting at the phone.

 

 

“I need to know your number before I can place the call,” an impatient voice stated into the phone after I lifted the receiver.

 

 

Just as I was beginning to lose hope I remembered the hospital-type bracelet that was on my left wrist. Thank god the numbers were stamped on the identification along with my first and last name. Once I gave the woman my numbers and the number for Brian’s cell phone, she dialed the number to outside an outside operator.

 

 

“Who shall I say the collect call is from?”

 

 

“Nick.”

 

 

Brian’s cell rang four times before he picked up. My heart leapt for joy hearing his voice.

 

 

“Nick….oh my gosh, are you okay?”

 

 

Tears sprang into my eyes, his voice was tainted with concern as well as fear. “I’m okay I guess,” I said, my voice thick with emotion.

 

 

“Aaron called me practically after I saw the news about your accident on TV. What happened?”

 

 

“I wish I knew,” I replied; my voice shaking.

 

 

“Oh Nick.”

 

 

“My attorney told me that no one has died, but he doesn’t know if I can get released from this place yet…something about the district attorney not wanting me out. Brian, I’m scared,” I finally admitted.

 

 

“I’m scared too,” Brian agreed. “We’re on our way to see you.”

 

 

We? Is he bringing Leighanne with him? Shit, that’s all I needed was Leighanne coming to see me in jail.

 

 

“Where are you right now?”

 

 

“Just crossed the state lines. Hopefully we can see you tomorrow.”

 

 

Again with the word we…who is he talking about?

 

 

“We?”

 

 

”CARTER!” that guard that had it out for me yelled across the room. I cringed.

 

 

“Brian, who is the we you’re talking about?”

 

 

“Did I just hear someone yell your name?”

 

 

“Bri…quick….tell me who is we! I don’t have much time here…”

 

 

Before Brian answered, the guard snatched the phone from my hand. I had finally had enough! Before I knew it, next thing that happened was an all out fight ensued between myself, the guard and a whole bunch of inmates!

 

 

Holy shit, I was totally going to be paying for this!!