- Text Size +
CHAPTER 10
PRESENT

The sun rose and set as they made their voyage across the country, slowly moving toward the place that would become their haven. Katherine knew that the lord that now held the title her family once held would not be happy to bring a new member of the family into the castle, but the castle was hers, and if she had to kill anyone that stood in her way to reclaim what was rightfully hers she would. No one would keep her from protecting her children from a fate that she wished that she could have stopped long before casting her spell. Had she remained with Nickolas like he had planned things would still be the same as they were when she was first changed.
“Mistress.”
“Yes Matthew?”
“The palace comes into view.” He whispered as he looked inside the darkened carriage. Around her several of her children lay sleeping, that meant the sun still shown in the sky.
“Find us a safe place until the sun sets, I will reclaim what is mine after sunset.”
“I will speak to the villagers, they seem to say the palace is empty and has been since the last lord of the land died.”
“This means nothing, there are a great many things that happen in this village and area, that could change everything we are trying to do.”
“Mistress I wish no disrespect but we’ve found a place to stay for the day, a sympathizer has a hiding place for us.” Martin said.
“Thank you, then we shall stay there. Tell James where we are to go.”
“It was James that found us the place milady. Come we shall rest and then go to the palace later this evening.”
Katherine was unsure of the surroundings as they unloaded and entered the darkened stables.
“I am delighted to meet you my mistress. And I do apologies for the accommodations but with such short notice I had no other rooms.”
“I am pleased that you were able to find us shelter at all, when we arrive at the palace you will be rewarded for you faithful service.”
“Milady, I need no reward. It is my pleasure to serve one that is as honorable as yourself.”
“I have not always been so honorable, and my children are rarely honorable. Why would you even help such as us?”
“My family has always served the royals that have lived in this land.”
“And yet you still serve me, even if I am a demon?”
“Yes, milady, for you are still a royal.”
“I have not been a royal in nearly one thousand years. Yet you still feel the need to please me?”
“We have always known of the vampire that was once our Lady Katherine, and because of that we’ve also known of all that you’ve done in the years you’ve been gone, from the most vile to the most kind. We will always be loyal to your family, mistress,” he said bowing to her. Katherine lowered her head to him and motioned for him to stand.
“Be sure we are not disturbed before the sunsets.”
“Yes mistress,” he said turning and leaving the group alone. Katherine looked around at her children and sighed.
“This evening at the palace I will continue my story and we shall ready ourselves for our new lives, later we may leave our country and go somewhere else, for I will be able to train you to be ready for Nickolas but even then he will return stronger than ever,” Katherine warned. Her children nodded and found their way to their beds for the night, Katherine found a small space near a horses stall, she could hear the beast whinny uncomfortably as she curled up in the hay and closed her eyes, she inhaled as she let the scent lull her to sleep.

PAST:
Katherine could feel the hay beneath her and smiled, she looked up and saw Nickolas peek up at her from the ladder, a huge smile on his face.
“What?” She asked, he giggled as he came up the ladder to join her in the hayloft.
“I’ve found us a new home.”
“Again? I like this farm, they are kind people and never really notice us here.”
“My love, there are things that you must realize about us. We can not make friends with the humans.”
“Why not?”
“Because they are something to be fed from, nothing more.”
“Nickolas, that isn’t true, if they weren’t here we’d have no place for us to hide and what about us making more of our kind.”
“I know this dearest but I am talking about that not all humans are needed, they only prove to be a nuisance.”
“Then let’s end the lives of those that live in this house and keep it for ourselves, why do we keep running?”
“We are not running, why do you think we are running?”
“Nickolas, I have been with you for two hundred years and I’d notice these things. Why are we running?”
“We aren’t running, we are just going to places you’ve never been to.”
“I only wish to be with you my dearest.”
“Not at first you didn’t. I was the one you hated more than anything in this world.”
“Not anymore, believe me when I say this is what I want and what I want is you.” She said slyly, she reached out and pulled him closer to her, their lips met in a passionate kiss. Katherine held him close as she pulled his shirt over his head; slowly she ran her fingers over his perfectly sculpted chest and kissed his lips once again. Her fingers fighting with the ties that held his pants to his hips, she felt his fingers moving over her shoulders pulling the large dress down past her shoulders, his lips leaving a trail of fire down her skin. As their cloths were shed they could barely keep their hands off each other, they ravaged each others bodies as they moved effortlessly together, Katherine’s teeth sunk deep into Nickolas’ throat as she came to her climax, she brought him to the same feeling as she began drinking deeply from him, his blood warm inside her mouth as she moaned loudly. She felt Nickolas’ teeth sink into the soft skin around her breast and the blood filled his mouth as they began to move again together and Katherine lifted her hips thrusting him deeper into her body. Nickolas pulled away from her slightly and looked into her dark eyes and captured her mouth in a deep kiss, his own mouth still filled with blood, they drank from the blood together and their passionate climax was met together, falling apart they breathed heavily.
“You’ve always been my best lover,” Nickolas whispered, holding her closer. Katherine laid her head on his chest and closed her eyes and slowed her breathing. Nickolas ran his fingers over her moist skin and smiled, she was his forever.


PRESENT:
Katherine woke with a start; she looked toward the large door and saw that the sun was still slightly up. She looked and saw the farmer standing in the darkness.
“What is it?” She asked, climbing from the hay, she brushed the hay from her hair as she approached the older man, but what she saw made her take several steps backward. His eyes glowed a deep red as he walked into the dim light smiling at her.
“What are you?”
“As I’ve said mistress, I’ve been loyal to your kind for a great many years, and I have also been punished in the past by one demon a demon you once was with.”
“Nickolas.”
“Very one, now that means that since he’s not with you, you will be punished for what he had done to me and my family.” He said, stepping closer to her. Katherine moved backward trying to find Darcy in the darkness.
“Make one sound milady and they will die before you can warn them. My wife and I have lived for centuries to make you and Nickolas pay for what was done.”
“I did nothing to you and your wife, I knew nothing of what Nickolas had done. I have been trying to train my children to help the humans that Nickolas has hurt and train them to be warriors against his evil.”
“You will say anything to save your own demon life.”
“If you see me as your mistress you would not say such things, even those that have hated me have never called me mistress,” Katherine pointed out, she hoped that would give her time to find Darcy. Darcy had already awakened at the sound of her terrified voice; he reached out and touched her hand with his own. Katherine held his hand tightly she knew that even if he moved quickly it would be his death instead of her own.
“I called you that to make you feel at ease, to make you think I enjoyed your kind.”
“Your human, I can smell it.”
“I am not human.”
“Then you have to be vampire and you were seen during the daylight.”
“I am not a vampire either, I am a werewolf. I can be seen during the day.”
“How can that be? Nickolas was a vampire and if he left you and your wife for dead then you would have been a vampire.”
“We were attacked by a werewolf and because of that we are just that. We hate vampires.” He said grabbing her hand and pulling her toward him, Katherine let out a slight shriek as he held a knife tightly to her throat. He knew that wouldn’t kill her but decapitating her would.
“We have never hurt you, nor would we ever. I meant what I said about rewarding you once we arrived at the palace.”
“You are only saying that to save your own hide vampire.”
“She speaks the truth.” Darcy said stepping from the shadows, “ Katherine has never lied to any of us, it was Nickolas that lied and is now in a deep sleep for the next three hundred years. A spell cast by Katherine herself.”
“It isn’t possible that a vampire be able to cast such a thing.”
“I am no ordinary vampire, before Lord Nickolas changed me I was trained to be a sorceress. Someone that was destined to destroy the evil in the world, I was never meant to become part of it.” Katherine stated. She knew that she was pleading for her life. Darcy moved forward trying to reach for Katherine but it only caused the farmer to move further backward from him. His wife appeared from the darkness and suddenly Darcy flew backward and Katherine screamed. She pried her way away from the farmer and dropped down beside her fallen lover. She pushed his long hair away from his face and touched him.
“I am so sorry, I never meant this to happen.”
“I told you I would protect you with my own life.” Darcy said, he reached his hand up and touched her face for the first time since their meeting she was crying.
“Please, I’ve already lost one that loved me at one time, I will not loose another.” Katherine said, tears flowed down her cheeks as she touched the stake that was sticking out of his chest, she wasn’t sure if it was near his heart or not but she pulled it free and he screamed loudly but didn’t disappear like she had expected.
“Children take him, I will deal with what Nickolas has done, if his crimes are mine to deal with then I shall take them on.”