- Text Size +
CHAPTER 7
PRESENT

Katherine sighed as she watched her children look at her, she knew that now that she’d given more of her past away could they handle the major part?
“That is a lot for someone to deal with, now that you were married to him, that meant he could do as he pleased.”
“In some ways yes, but even turning me into a vampire required me to say yes. And as long as I was unwilling to even be his bride he knew that I would be unwilling to be a vampire.”
“But yet here you are. You are the one thing he couldn’t turn you into.”
“Nickolas promised me a great many things before he changed me, a promise that after two hundred years I learned was nothing more than a lie, a lie to gain my powers.”
“A lie that also cost you a friend.”
“Marcus was a great man, and if I had known that Nickolas was going to change me into this demon, I would have never allowed Marcus to teach me to use my powers. I never knew that Nickolas knew of my powers,” Katherine said with a sigh, she looked at the group that was assembled and wished that Bianca had learned about whom she was before she had made her choice.
“Nickolas knew of you long before we ever met mistress.”
“Truly?”
“Yes, he spoke of you and the powers that dwelled deep within you. He knew that if he could control those powers he’d control all of the demon’s in the entire world.”
“Martin, if he knew of my powers the entire time, why did you not say something before?” Katherine asked. Martin looked at the floor and then toward her.
“I feared what he’d do if I told you the reason he had married you. His power then was something to be feared, but you were still human.”
“I would have remained human had Nickolas left me alone.”
“But maybe you were destined to become something more, we know that we would not be here if you had not become what you are.”
“This is true, but are you willing to say that you are better off as a vampire than you were as a human.”
“I am,” Darcy answered. Katherine looked at him strangely, but knew what he meant.
“I am better because of you. Mistress Katherine had you not saved me those years ago, I would have died as a child.”
“Instead you remain forever a child, are you sure that this is something you truly wanted?”
“Yes. You must understand that even at the young age I understood what you were and everything that you could do to and for me. My mother was frightened by what was about to happen yet she begged you to save her child. If you had been the cold hearted person you say you are you would have never allowed my life to continue even if it is as a vampire.”
“I am and have always been a monster, I am just a monster with a sense of honor and love.”
“Mistress, did you love Master Nickolas?”
“At one time, the love he craved from me grew, but when I learned of the demon he truly was that love was dead and gone as much as I was.” Katherine said lowering her head, she knew that there was much more of her story to tell, much more of her demonic life to share but she wondered if they could handle that past life? Or would they leave her to take on Nickolas when he awoke?
“What bothers you mistress?”
“All that I did before you came to us. All that happened before this time.”
“Three hundred years is a long time to learn what happened,” Darcy said touching her arm. Katherine sighed they didn’t truly understand what she meant she raised her hands and chanted something with a puff of smoke she disappeared.
“I am guessing she needed time alone,” Darcy said looking around.
“Guess so, I will check on her later.” Angelina said. Darcy looked up the large staircase but he had a feeling that Katherine was not in the house.

Katherine walked toward the large mausoleum and looked at the inscription over the door and Iron Gate. She slowly opened the gate and walked inside. She looked at the casket that sat in the center of the room. She ran her hand over the marble lid and hissed.
“Because of you I am stuck in this world. I am alone in this world while you sleep unknowing the kind of pain you’ve caused while I live with the pain and anguish I’ve caused. You are the true demon yet I feel that I am the one that is the demon that should have been gone.”
“You are not like him, always remember that because of you I made the choice to change.”
“Bianca?”
“My Mistress, I am sorry for all the sorrow I caused you, the doubt that I had for my true feelings. But know that I am at peace now and I will always watch over you and the rest of our family.”
“I am sorry, I let you down.” Katherine said, she turned and saw the glowing figure standing in the corner.
“You never let me down, you showed me a world beyond my imagination but Nickolas tempted me with a darker side of that same world a world filled with revenge and anger. Something I should have walked away from.”
“You made your choice and I will never blame you for it, he is the reason for all the things I’ve lost in this world; he is the reason for the spell I cast.”
“And until the day he reawakens I shall guard this place, in my ghostly plane he shall never hurt anyone. And the warning shall be true as he awakens all shall know of his return.”
“Bianca I never thought you’d be a guardian angel be well my child, I will never forget you.” Katherine said, she turned and left the small room, closing the gate behind her. Nickolas would be protected before he awakened to wreak havoc on the world.