- Text Size +
CHAPTER 8


PAST:

Katherine barely remember the ceremony but yet there stood Lord Nickolas next to her. Even with her cousin standing there watching them as they loaded into the carriage.
“Enjoy your new life cousin.” He said to her, Katherine looked into his eyes and knew that his rule over these people would be short, the commoners would not love him and he’d come to his death soon.
“Enjoy your kingdom while you can cousin. For it will not last forever.” Katherine announced it seemed as she spoke the wind picked up and the sky rumbled.
“Never threaten me cousin.” He shouted.
“It’s a promise, you will loose everything you hold dear while I shall get all that I’ve desired,” Katherine laughed. Nickolas looked at her as they took the carriage away from the palace, he knew that his new bride would be perfect for what he desired for her.
“You are wicked my dear,” Nickolas said kissing her hand. Katherine looked at him and then out the small window at the passing fields.
“If I had remained, I would have eventually ruled these fields and the people that tilled them. But my cousin felt that I was a threat to his kingdom, he is his own threat, the people dislike him and they will kill him soon.”
“How do you know?”
“I’ve heard the servants speaking.”
“Why did you not warn you cousin of the uprising?”
“He deserves what he gets, my cousin is an evil man,” Katherine answered. Nickolas smiled and shook his head little did she know he was worse. They arrived at the dock a short time later, Katherine looked at the large ship that awaited them.
“You are a fool, I’ve never traveled beyond these shores, what says I shall do it now?” Katherine asked.
“As my wife, you shall travel where I say, we shall return to Britain and live there.”
“Dare you say? I have a palace just beyond my cousin’s rule. Why leave such a beautiful country only to become a lowly lord, you’ve married a princess,” Katherine answered him.
“Aye that I have and a feisty one at that, does this make me a prince?”
“Not likely sir, but here you are more royal than you shall be in your own country.”
‘Then we shall remain for now, driver do you know of such a palace?”
“Princess Katherine’s home? Yes milord, before arriving at the king’s palace her father was a well-known lord in these parts. I shall take thee there.”



PRESENT:

“Mistress this was your home?”
“No, we only remained in my ancestral home for just a few years. Nickolas wished to return to Britain only three years after we were married. I was still human at the time. I was only in this home for a few days before Nickolas took my human life.”
“I can tell that you felt anger for him taking that away from you.”
“Aye that I did, he had no right to take something from me that was not his to take. He promised me things that he could not give, things that he knew he’d never give me.”
“Did you know before he changed you?”
“Did I know what?”
“Did you know what he was before he changed you?”
“No, there was a hint that he was not as he seemed but since I was still learning to use my powers I had yet to tap into things that had yet to come to the surface.”
“What things?”
“I have the ability to read minds, change the shape and physical being of someone, I am able to shape shift into something other than a wolf as you’ve seen. And I am able to cast spells more powerful than even I’ve cast so far. My powers are only limited by my imagination, and since I have a grand imagination I can create anything.”
“If your powers are this great, why did you remain in this home alone for so long? You could have cast a spell that made people come to you, to be your slaves.”
“The only ones I made come to this home, where those that became my meal. I did not want friends that were not true, I may have and still am a demon but I have feelings deep in my dark heart,” Katherine answered, her dark eyes looking at the small group assembled. She knew that it was becoming late and that if her children did not feed they would become to weak to feed the following day.
“Go my children, go and return before the sun rise. Feed on those that dare wonder the streets at this late hour and show those that doubt our existence that we truly are here and we are never leaving.”
“Yes mistress, we shall return for something for you as well.”
“Make it young and ripe for I am famished.”
“Yes mistress.” Angelina said bowing. Katherine watched as her children filed from the mansion and sat back down in the plush chair she had been sitting in. She could see her world falling apart as she finished telling her story, as she shared more and more of her past and that of her present where her children ready to hear that she was still hiding things from them. She moved silently through the large house and looked at the paintings that hung on the walls as she walked down long hallways. She touched the edge of one picture, the frame was damaged and the painting slightly faded but the smile could be seen clearly.
“Who was she?” A voice asked from behind her.
“My first child, she was someone that was brought across by accident but chose her destiny and was to remain at my side but Nickolas became jealous of her and destroyed her.”
“How long was she with you?”
“She was just a child in the eyes of a vampire. Just a hundred years old when Nickolas grew tired of her taking all of my attention. She had shown me that there was more to my demonic life than just killing humans that I was destined for more. She was a telepath and knew of things and could read minds, I guess because of such a gift Nickolas feared she’d tell me his secret.”
“One he knew would destroy him?”
“Yes, if I had known sooner that he wanted me for just my power I would have ended his pitiful existence before he left me.”
“Katherine, he chose his fate and now rests in a sleep that shall remain for the next three hundred years, my dearest Katherine what do you fear?”
“His awakening will bring back many of my own demons and my children will leave my side. I was not always as kind as many think. Killing was all I wanted to do, the death of human and entire villages was something Nickolas and I did together and rather well. Many blamed the deaths on sickness, but there was no sickness just our own demonic lives moving through villages at a fast rate.”
“Human’s always fear things they do not understand. I was a priest at one time, many children came to me with dreams that bothered them, dreams that were frightening to even a strong man.”
“Darcy you will always bring light into my darkened soul, come we must find something to feed upon.”
“I will return before the others, Angelina will bring you something special, but I shall bring something more. You deserve to be treated as the royalty that you once was, the person that was going to rule an entire country.”
“No woman has ever ruled Ireland and none shall, Nickolas made sure that I was to remain his forever, as a vampire I am still his even if he remains in a sleep.”
“You are your own person, a demon of your own creation, never believe that Nickolas made you who you are that was something you did yourself. He may lay claim to changing you into a demon, but it was you that made that demon into who you are today.”
“Fear that my dearest, for that demon shall someday show some vengeance on the goodness that still remains in my dark heart,” Katherine spoke softly Darcy nodded and headed off into the darkness of the early morning. Katherine knew that her children would show the village below the mansion that the stories that had been told of the demons that lay within the walls of the mansion were true, that they did exist and that they would destroy the entire village if their mistress so told them to do such. But since Katherine had a kind spot in her heart for the humans that dwell within the village she knew that they’d be leaving the very place many of them had called home. It was nearly time to find a new home. She walked around the mansion and looked to see Henry and Martin still waiting.
“Why did you not go with the others?”
“We already knew your story and have already fed, mistress what truly distresses you?” Martin asked. He could see in her dark eyes that she held another secret and it wasn’t about her past.
“The villagers grow tired of our killings, and are ready to destroy us while we sleep, many within the village are ready to torch our very home.”
“How do you know of this?”
“Martin dear, I may never seem to know a great many things but this is something I know. When my children are in danger I worry and because of that I have my spies within the village. We must soon move on, as Nickolas once was going to do, we must move to another place where we are not known.”
“Where?”
“I’ve heard talk of a new land, there is a place that the Britain’s are going, they are taking fleets of ships to find a new home.”
“But this new land? Is it beyond the sea?”
“Yes, we’d have to travel by ship. Hiding beneath the hull keeping ourselves hidden from prying eyes. Are you willing to take on such a task?”
“Yes mistress if it means we survive I can book us passage on the next ship to the new world.”
“Then go Henry, go and be sure to return with the news that we are to be leaving this place, that we are to come to the new land and a new life.”
“What of Nickolas?”
“He remains here, his return will be warned but he will take a time to find those that have betrayed him and we shall be ready for the war that is at hand.”
“Yes Mistress.”
“Thank you both for being so loyal, you’ve been the friends I had lost many years ago, you are the light that always shined in the darkness that was Nickolas,” Katherine said, her words could not have been more true Henry and Martin had always stood by her side against Nickolas and his evil even during the times that she was as evil as he was. They always knew that she was more than she had thought she was, they always knew that she was more. Henry nodded and turned and left her alone, Martin stood for a moment and then joined his old friend. The passage to the new world would be hard to come by but he would make sure they booked passage for them all and their belongings, they could not leave evidence of their travel for Nickolas to find. But would the children be ready to leave their only home, would they be ready to travel across the seas and only feed on rats and few humans as they could find. Sleeping during the day unprotected and watching over those that manned the ships at night, keeping watch for the very demon they were all running from? Would they be able to understand that leaving was the best for them? That leaving their home would be only for the good of them all. Katherine walked into her chambers and looked at the things she had gained over the last thousand years, it would be hard to choose what should go and what should stay behind. But would things remain in the old house? Or would they take all that they could and burn what they could not. Katherine lay on the large four poster bed and sighed, things would not go as smoothly as she hoped she already knew that her children would be upset to have to leave the only home they’ve known. This would not be as easy as it seemed.