- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I couldn't leave you hanging.... Here's the next chapter, tell me your thoughts.
The Night of the accident
Chomping on his Carl’s Jr. Hamburger was about the best thing detective Campbell could think of to do at eleven at night, he wasn’t tired, but since his partner was taken a leave, he really wasn’t motivated to go tracking around the house. So instead he was sitting in an empty parking lot enjoying his lettuce, tomato, cheese, and quarter pound burger with two sesame-seed buns keeping it all together.

But as he sat in his nicely furnished ’78 Chevy he noticed a car pass by, the head lights were dim, like they were about to go off, with little interest he watched the oncoming traffic as the one light completely turned off. He tapped the inside roof of his car calling a ‘per-diddle’ although it would do nothing, because he was in the middle of a relationship, but it was a force of habit and so he sat and watched as the car disappeared down the road.

Less than twenty minutes later, just after he finished off the second sandwich and his fries while listening to some good old Queen singing Seaside Rendezvous on repeat, he received a buzz from Detective Taylor she gave him directions to a accident scene, but when he got there he was shocked beyond belief.

“C.C. You there?” he called as he stepped out of his car. Detective Taylor’s was pulled of the side of the road, her hazard lights were on giving passing driver’s a warning. It wasn’t until he reached the front of the detective’s car that he could see the remains of the guard’s. The road through this part of the ‘wood’ was winding, and they happened to be going on a turn/ Detective Campbell stepped carefully to the edge of the road and looked down, in the scant moonlight he could see the silhouette of a trapped vehicle, he could see how it had driven straight into the tree, the branches cracked under it’s wait.

Stumbling down the muddy slope Detective Campbell called for his partner’s name “Detective Taylor!? C.C.!? Anyone hurt?” he hollered. He knew he needed backup and probably an ambulance, but if his partner were here she was sure to have called them. “Claire” He called suddenly searching through the abyss.

“I’m down here” Detective Taylor answered, her voice was afar off, but he followed it best he could. As he came closer to her voice he saw a flashlight, it was pointing down at the victim “She’s dead” his partner sniffled turning her head away, "she must've fell from the car, she has a gash from where she hit the tree root and continued falling. “She explained exasperated.

“Anyone else?” he asked looking around, there was mud and exposed roots’ everywhere.

As he uttered his words a groan came from the opposite end of the trunk where the detective had mindlessly passed. Claire prodded back up the ravine where the tree was, she felt the body, feeling around.

“Oh, dear God” she murmured. She felt just above the victim’s breast, where his heart was swooshing. Blood, rich, thick warm blood oozed past his shirt, she ripped a piece of her shirt stuffing it inside the wound, a feeble attempt to stop the bleeding.

His eyes opened, the deep blue blending in with the dark, detective Taylor swallowed hard, she pulled her flashlight up close to him as he moaned letting go of a branch he was using, most likely to beat off the pain.

“He survived?” the detective whispered shocked.


back in the courthouse…… “And that’s what I saw” the detective said finishing, everyone in the room stared. Brian, felt ill and happy at the same time, but he suppressed his smile.

“Where’s the other detective” Brian’s attorney thundered “Where is that damn girl”