- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
More!!!!! Thoughts?
Doctor John Preston had been following Brian around for the past two months and in that time he had seen nothing, as far as a doctor who before applying for medical school was perusing a career as a psychologist, which would plant Brian as possible suspect murderer. Still his patient had deliberately lied to his parents and perhaps more people than that about a relationship with a woman. His story, as he had told it many times, had changed from telling to telling – had started to trip over itself. This man clearly wanted people not to know what happened between him and this mystery woman.

Even though Brian had attended his first day of court, and had met with his attorney shortly before that, Dr Preston didn’t feel comfortable with letting Brian be released, he was to stay at the hospital over night so that he, if he did have another episode, it could be caught in advance. The doctor had been sitting n his sleep room waiting for his shift to get over so he could take his wife out to her belated birthday dinner. He would still be on call, but at least it would give him the chance to make up with his wife.

“Dr. Preston” a small nock came at the half open door. Dr. Preston peered up from his book looking into the tearful eyes of Detective Taylor; she had a large black peat overcoat buttoned up to her throat, quite an odd occurrence for the late summer months. The doctor smiled wondering what she was doing.

“Detective, may I help you” he asked putting his book down on the bedside table watching her nod in response, her deep grey eyes were surrounded by puffy red lids, her nose was the same bright red and her cheeks were flushed. Doctor Preston stood up and walked towards her leading her to the chair opposite the one he was sitting in after shutting the door to his room.

“I –“ she started to explain “I’ll show you” she finished shakily her skinny fingers fumbling to unbutton her coat. The doctor sat back in his chair a little baffled.

“Miss Taylor” he exclaimed, wondering what this women was doing, “Dear God” he exclaimed.

…….

“I can’t find her, she’s not answering her phone” Detective Campbell sighed heavily replacing the phone back on the receiver.

“Well try her again!” Both Harold and the Brian’s attorney blurted angrily.

Detective Campbell rubbed his head for a moment then starting twisting his pen around mindlessly “You don’t understand, the last time she was away, she was away for three months, when she came back she was deathly ill. She has been ill since she’s been back, but we don’t get paid that much so she had to work, she must’ve hit bottom again.”

“Detective” Harold scratched behind his ear “are you trying to cover for Miss Taylor? Because she was a witness to the crime, and her statement could be everything.”

“Everything we have found is down on record, sir. I don’t think a detective, whose sole purpose would be to figure out the crime would hide evidence.” He said looking up at Harold.

Brian sat in the corner of the room, watching the men fight it out. It would have been more entertaining if he didn’t have to worry about what they’d find out. He couldn’t just tell them what had happened between him and Claire Aki during the summer, during the whole year before, and he had no explanation for the knife wound in his chest. He desperately wanted everything figured out, for the sake of everyone it was affecting. He would almost be satisfied with calling himself guilty.

Closing his eyes, he tried to focus on that night, the only memory he could remember clearly.


“You ready to go? Leighanne come on hurry up” Brian said waiting in the front room for his wife to get out of the dressing room. She walked down, her purse strapped over her shoulder, and her shoes poking out from under her flared pants.

“Yes, I’m ready” she growled pulling a sweater over her arms then replacing her purse over her arm. “Let’s get this over with quickly.” She muttered as her husband opened the door for her “Shit, it’s raining!” she growled running back in. Brian rolled his eyes and walked to the front closet grabbing her coat. She pulled that on and replaced her purse over her shoulder a second time clutching the bag tightly.

Brian pulled the door shut behind them and offered to help her to the car; she refused so instead he stayed a few paces behind. Once they made it to the car Leighanne briskly walked to the passenger side waiting for Brian to open it, he pushed the button on the key and the door opened, they both got in slamming their doors behind them.

Brian slammed the key into the ignition waiting for the engine to start up, as soon as he heard it start to purr he pulled the clutch into reverse and pressed his foot to the gas “I’ve already told my rep that we’re divorcing.” He said after a few minutes of silence. Leighanne turned to him, her purse still clutched in her lap.

“Brian, I still love you” she said softly. Brian glared over at her, then turned his attention back to the road pressing the car forward onto the road. After more silence Leighanne sighed uncomfortably and looked at her husband again “I told your rep that we weren’t getting a divorce. We have to wait till it’s official, it’s not official yet. Brian I don’t want it to be official.”

“That’s not what you told Alex.” He muttered under his breath looking to the side, they passed a small gas station that was literally empty except for one car parked sideways, taking up at least three parking spaces. The car had it’s light’s on inside, and Brian watched as the man suddenly slammed his hand up against the top of the roof of his car. It was amusing, and gave Brian something else to think about as he peered at the road ahead. He noticed the road ahead and saw that his left side was dimmer in the distance than his right. “What’d you do? Gall how much time does it take you to take this car over to a shop” he growled slowing down; they had reached the back roads, where the streets were winding around hillsides with deep cliff like ravines. Slowing the car down to twenty, Brian decided he had to pay more attention to the roads. Leighanne said nothing in response as they continued driving. Then the lights flickered on both sides, the left returning to half strength guiding them along the road.

“Go faster” Leighanne said flatly looking out the side of the road. Brian pursed his lips to hide his clenched teeth as he continued to drive. “I know what’s going on Brian” she looked at him, he quickly flashed a glance towards her they looked back at the roads, the lights continued to flicker.

“It doesn’t make a difference; we’re getting a divorce anyway. I just want to get through this night.” He growled, he could her whimpering, most likely it was fake “OK” he growled.

The reflection from the moonlight started to show through the tree’s as they continued on the road, Brian saw the road come to a narrow straight path, he peered over at Leighanne, wondering where she had gone. Her face was angry as she looked at him, he peered back ahead the road was getting windy again, and the tree’s were starting to cover the reflection of the moon. “Go faster; we’re going to be out in this stupid forest forever.” She whined.

“I’m not going to go faster, the lights keep flickering off. I don’t want to get in an accident. “ He growled, all she could do was complain. She had been cheating on him, for who knows how long, why he was taking this

The continued on the road and the light’s kept flickering off till finally the left completely went black, Brian slammed his fist against the steering wheel, and again slowed down. Leighanne scoffed as she looked in the rearview mirror “Oh great, look now we have some stupid person following us and their honking because you’re gong so slow, go faster” she groaned.

‘I told you NO. I don’t want to, the roads are to slick” Brian said flatly he was just about to role his window down to tell the person to pass them, their lights were coming closer, as if the car behind them wanted to tail their car.

“The rain stopped a half an hour ago.” Leighanne growled as she moved over closer to take the wheel. Brian pushed her away she was acting insane.

“Leighanne Stop!!!!” He growled pushing her away again. The car started to swerve; she threw her bag against his face. Brian could feel the pain thrashing through his skull. There was something hard in there, Brian had not clue what it was but it was painful.

The car swerved again, Brian gripped the wheel trying to make sure he wouldn’t over correct the car, and forced them into a spin. Leighanne, madly, looked at him still unaware of the peril she was causing them “Pull over Brian!” she said suddenly as she noticed a blue light flash on the car behind him.

Brian was still trying to regain control of the car, the roads were too narrow to pull over anywhere without being hit by an oncoming car “I can’t right here, I can barely see!”

Leighanne moved closer again, her face full of anger, and menace “Pull the stupid car over damnit!” she pulled at the wheel.

“The lights are too dim –“ Brian blurted in a panic, there was no stopping the car now, Leighanne slammed her foot over the gas pedal the car barreled through the side railing.

......


“Dr Preston” a nock came at the doctor’s door and he looked up glad he had locked the door.

“Just a minute” he said allowed, he looked back at Detective Taylor watching her button her overcoat up “Take this prescription to the pharmacist and make sure to check in with me next week. It’s a good thing those doctors in the Caribbean knew how to remove the Placentia in time. You might still be sick for a while, but the worst is over.” He smiled, the detective nodded.

“Thank you. I’m glad you undsterstood” she smiled weakly.

“Claire, you’re going to have to tell them sometime” he murmured resting his hand on her shoulder “It will make thing’s so much easier.”

She shook her head looking down pursing her lips before she looked up again “If my Mother found out I had changed my name and done this, she would’ve flipped.”

“Yes, but you’re the only person who knows what really happened.”

“I wasn’t apart of it. I only was going to meet them, to talk with Leighanne. To finalize everything so that Brian and I could finally take the baby off of his parent’s hands.” She murmured quietly.

“Yes, but you lead the department astray giving them false evidence, when you saw the whole thing.” He said, another knock came at the door.

“Dr. Preston, its Brian he’s fainted again! They need you now”

“Here’s the perfect time to explain all this” the doctor smiled “They’ll understand, it will help everyone else out.