- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes, I thought you would enjoy reading more... :)! Thoughts?
“That’s it – come on back around” the doctor said enthusiastically as Brian coughed. "Get a drip going; go for about 20 ccs about 100.”

He stripped his gloves from his hands and pushed the door back pulling his mask down as he stared at Brian’s bewildered parents.

“I think we’re going to have to get a look at that heart” Doctor Preston said before the silence smothered all of them. Harold nodded as he still looked into the glass windowed room where his son lay prone, again.

“You found detective Taylor I presume” he looked over at the doctor. Dr. Preston stared back startled, wondering if he thought that something had happened in the sleep room or if he already know about her being Claire. He was confused at what to say, the less the better he decided.

“Yes” he said passively.

“Well, where'd she go. What was she thinking taking a joyride when she's supposed to be thick in a case” Harold asked a little more roughly than intended.

“Maybe its best if you talk with her yourselves” the doctor announced turning to the hall “I’ll lead you to the waiting room."

……….

Claire paced the floor’s nervously, there was so much she needed to explain to [ at least ] the Littrell’s about not only her relationship with their son, but of what else she hadn’t reveled about the night of the accident. It was time to come clean. To get the story straight, at least as straight as it could be considering the circumstances. She knew it would make her loose her job, but she had to do something, no matter what; she had to get it out.

The handle on the door clicked, and she grabbed her coat pockets sitting down nervously watching his parent’s walk in.

………

Literally minutes of silence passed between the Littrell’s and Detective Taylor. Mostly, for the Littrell’s, because of the sudden low they had just endured. Life is too tender to be thrashed around like an old toy doll, but for Brian, it was the perfect analogy.

Harold watched, his eyes steadily piercing into the detectives face. He was going to have to be the first one to speak he assumed, all this detective was doing was wringing her fingers over and over again, it was beginning to get on his nerves.

“Miss. Taylor –“he started in.

“Harold, Jackie, Mr. and Mrs. Littrell” she placed her hands just below her neck pushing her shaking fingers about down as she spoke “Before I tell you about that night, you need to know” she paused breathing out, she had no clue who these people were, or how their reactions would be, aside from Brian’s dad hearing he was a lire and fuming up about it, this was different. “I, your son and I were having an affair” she blurted, covering her mouth quickly after, she had let it out, and not in the way she had run it through in her heads.

His parents stared back blankly, she counted, and it took only thirty seconds for the words to set in. Brian’s father leaned back in the chair he was sitting in pulling his tie loosely around his neck, but neither said a word with their mouths, their eyes did all the talking, she would have to speak quickly.

“It was two summers ago. I met him when he had accidentally stepped onto one of our crime scenes. Believe me, we had no intention of – We started talking and then seeing each other often on. He invited me on tour with him. He explained to me that he was getting married, but that he didn’t want to anymore. After he met me. That was after, after it happened.

“I told him no, I told him we couldn’t go on, and I was mad because he had lied to me. He went home to try and patch things up with his wife. Then a few weeks into his next string of tour dates. I found out, and he was ecstatic, he was going to get a divorce from Leighanne and we were going to get married.

“But he was afraid of how you would both take it. He knew both of you would hope that he would be a good boy like you had raised him to be, to get married and to have kids, and be a good husband. So we settled on me taking the baby, but he still wanted to see me. I don’t know why I even considered it. So we went on another tour and we were on a subway and it was broken down, we were out in the middle of no where. He delivered the baby. I was going to go back and claim the child because there was no way that customs would believe he was the father.”

His parent’s sat still as stones, listening with both their ears and their eyes, their lips held back their thoughts.

“I couldn’t take the baby after I found out I was getting sick, really sick, I couldn’t tell what it was so I went to thousands of doctors, who gave me numerous pills and medications. Nothing worked. Brian was going to take me to a hospital, one in Kentucky, I guess where you both live, but he couldn’t do that without breaking things with Leighanne. She already knew about us though, somehow she found out. Brian was going to have her meet me, and we were both going to convince her to get a divorce from Brian so we could get things figured out. Brian knew he couldn’t take the child home to Leighanne, and he knew if you had heard the story about Leighanne being with Brian on tour for a very long time, and then loosing touch for a little bit, you would believe the child was theirs.” She breathed, still their faces had not changed “the night that we were going to meet, Leighanne sent me a note, a death threat with a picture of me and Brian and our little girl. She was going to kill Brian.

“I only got it a few minutes before she and Brian were headed up to my house. I was heading their also I wanted to get up there before she did anything to Brian. The car in front of me wouldn’t stop. So I put on a red light on the top of the car because I figured it was an emergency, Then the car went off the road. I immediately called dispatch, but they weren’t there. Since I was a Detective I scoped the scene out. Leighanne had been thrown or something from the car, but I couldn’t see Brian, everything was so dark it was hard to see with my small flashlight, but then I heard him groan, when Detective Campbell was there. It was just crazy, like going though a nightmare.”

Brian’s mom blinked, still absorbing the information. Her husband sat, still in the back of the chair, propping one leg over the other. He tapped the sole of his shoe then scratched his chin.