- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally another chapter's up. Comments?
Harold finally leaned forward, after hearing the detective’s story, he was seething with anger. Upset could only partially describe his response as he sat staring. It was his way of getting his point through. Not talking, leaving the person he was disappointed in, in a deep hole of guilt. Only he wanted to burry this detective to the last hair on their head.

He finally sat forward again looking at the detectives pale face, her nose and cheeks were flushed red from embarrassment and shame “Tell me again, what compelled you to even pursue such a relationship? You, being a detective would have to have known his relationship” his tone thickened, his anger flaring off his tongue “Then you have the gaul to lead every damn person in this investigation to believe that you had no part in this? What the hell where you thinking?”

“I, She threatened to kill Brian. I knew if I had let what I knew out. I would loose my job.”

Harold rubbed the stubble making up his beard “You had warning messages too? If the department doesn’t ask you to quit!, I’ll recommend it they do. You kept this little secret of yours under wraps to save your own skin. There’s a women dead, and my son’s heart is failing. All - all because there were a few months of infatuation.”

“I’m in love with your son” Claire screamed in defense “Leighanne was up to something before she ever found out. She had her hand in his back pocket before I cam into his life. I’m the one who helped him decide that she was just using him. I LOVE HIM” she screamed again.

Harold walked up in Clair’s face “You almost killed him.”

Jackie watched, finally sighing. Everything she wanted to say had been said, she was too emotionally tide up to want to comment anymore on the subject. Her husband however had one last word.

“Leave” he said angrily, his voice barely above a whisper.

“I’m sorry for what happened”

“Don’t give me that shit. Leave” he said again shouting in her ear. Jackie stood up and walked behind her husband pressing her hand on his back, she stared at Claire.

Claire’s eyes darted, she wanted to fix things between them, but obviously now was not the time. She picked up her purse and walked out of the door “I’m sorry” she said again tears springing from her eyes.

“No your not. Get out” he stared her down as she left. Jackie buried her face into her husband’s chest tears finally coming to her eyes.


………..


Jackie stared at the ceiling waiting for her eyes to close, but they didn’t. She was expecting to be woken up by an call from the emergency room, or worse, from the doctor himself. She rolled on her side looking at her husbands back, wondering if he was still sleep. Lightly she wrapped her hand under his arm around to the front of his chest waiting to see if he would respond. After a few seconds,, he turned around on his back pulling her in.

“Do you think we were to harsh, on Claire?” she asked in a whisper.

“No” her husband answered opening his eyes briefly.

“I like her actually” Jackie laid her head on her husband’s chest.

“Jackie she lied to us! she withheld information from everyone. This has nothing to do with how sorry she feels now. She made the decision to do what she did."

“Our son, also made the decision to sleep with her” Jackie added yawning.

“He did. he's not vidicated either. Perhaps he'll learn from this experience what repercussions fooling around, and sleeping with anyone and everyone has on people.” He replied dryly.

“Perhaps” she said softly, her eyes closing “I hope the judge buy’s the story.”

“I hope it ends in justice.”