- Text Size +
The deadpan sound of the monitor was in step the green line sweeping across the monitor. A cold cool metal chest compressor moved over his lifeless body.

“Clear” the doctor ordered holding the handles tightly as he pressed firmly against his chest. A swift voltage of shock ran across the wires into the electrodes taped to his skin “Come on don’t give up on us now” he said in a low whisper pulling the equipment away while the nurse checked for a pulse and air passageway. “Again” the doctor ordered as the operator prepped the machine counting to three “and clear.”

His tongue moved forward against his teeth as air was forced through his lungs; expanding them against his rib broken ribcage. He gasped in pain trying hard to suck in through filling his lungs with more air, then choking it out.

“Bring ‘im round” a voice said soothingly. Something plastic was placed over his mouth as he continued to breath, it was too much for his lungs. He choked as more air was forced down his through “easy now — Mariah the Pentobarbital please.”

He was alive, but his lashes were stuck together, he could gradually see the pink through his eyelids as the light faded in through the corner of his eyes. He felt someone touch his jaw with something smooth, like the back of a fingernail. It ran longwise across his face as they removed the breathing mask. The tube wrapped around between his upper lip and his nasal cavity. More hands were gently applying pressure around his jaw. Pain spun through his cheekbone and jaw and his mouth reacted clenching shut, the force of his bottom and lower teeth against each other was weak and he could feel the dryness of his tongue as he tried to swallow.

“The Family is here” another voice was farther away.

The lids of his eyes were pulled up and a bright white light stinging his eyes “Pupils are dilated” the other was lifted, his head moved to the side away from the light “Hold him still.”

His throat forced out more air as the diaphragm moved to speak. No sound made it past his dry throat, he gulped again forcing himself to try again “help” he plead in a horse whisper.

“It’s alright Brian, we’ve got you” the voice came closer “Just relax.”

Mariah, the nurse tapped the needle then pressed it into the vein in Brian’s arm. A soft, warm sensation overpowered his body driving the voices farther and farther away.

…………


“Ma’am, Sir” Doctor Preston walked in the waiting room. Jackie stood up holding Brian’s baby girl in her arms rocking her back and forth. “My name is Dr. Preston; I’m going to be taking care of your son while he is staying here.” Brian’s parents’ nodded “A wreck like that should have claimed his life. Your son is very lucky to be alive. I’m just amazed; the accident he condition he was in as well” the doctor shook his head baffled “this sort of thing is one most patients would not survive.” He paused “None-the-less there was a decent amount of damage done; he has broken his ribs, his fibula which is the lateral most two bones in the lower section of the pelvic limb. His right jaw is fractured” he sighed “In short, he has a long recovery. As far as brain damage, there was no problem with the frontal lobe, meaning he could have any problems from slow motor skills to mood and personality disorders to paralyses.”

“It seems that he may have suffered from Tonic Seizer which means he may have been awake during the event. The one thing we are not certain of is if he can recall anything from the accident. When the officers came to the scene the car was to mangled in that tree to see what exactly happened without a further investigation.”

Brian’s parent’s nodded as the doctor explained the summation of Brian’s condition “Can we go see him?” Jackie asked holding Brian’s four month old daughter. Her big blue eyes stared at the stesoscope around the doctor’s neck, and she babbled pointing at it as it gleamed in the light.

“Sure, I would ask that you try to restrain from touching him. He is a bit squeamish, and the more he moves the more he damages what we have tried to fix.” The doctor looked around remembering the young man he had just spent the last hour fixing had a wedding ring on his left hand “Is the wife here?” he asked candidly.

“She isn’t in the picture anymore” Harold answered in a murmure. The doctor nodded understanding. He opened his hand beckoning them to follow him to the room.


……….

Hearing voices surrounding the room, he woke up lethargically from his sleep and looked around. His eyes no longer glued shut by the caked blood around his lashes. No, now they opened slowly revealing the bland grey walls and the people leaning up against it. The first he saw though, as his vision cleared, was his Mother, her sweet face was drawn and pale and her eyes swollen from tears. A loving hand was securely wrapped across her back while the other entertained an infant in her arms. His dad paused looking Brian’s way, a content smile covering his face.

Moving her chair back and handing the child away to his Dad, Brian’s mom walked towards him, her eyes glistening with tears.

“You’re alright” she smiled wanting so much to touch him, to let him know she was there. Brian looked back trying to smile weekly “They thought you had a heart attack after you fell, but you were so lucky, thank God your…” her voice trailed off.

Brian looked at the girl now in his father’s arms. He had no recollection of her but the ends of his nerves were to frayed to force questions. He could manage just one tail now, and that was the last twenty minutes before he blacked out.

“What happened” he asked, directing the question to his Dad.

“We don’t know son” The usually very stern, and confident voice cracked back “We’re just lucky you’re alive.”

“Alive” he whispered to himself. He had seen the white light, he was sure he was dead; he had defied that and now but he was still in some strange hospital, speaking, remembering everything but the accident that had brought him here.