- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Whoops, updating the page took a bit of time and energy from my writing. Please forgive the space between chapters.
“My name is Victor Reese, and I have had the honor of being made by our great Master.” He bragged, he always bragged about being created by this elusive man, the man I would discover was my own father. He took my arm and guided me into the house. “Look the owners have gone and disappeared. What will happen to all of their property?” He laughed at his own amusement and catching my perplexed look set about explaining. “If we are to live for centuries we will need money to do so, we should not have to squeak out meager wages like humans. Usually we go for older people who will be dead soon anyway, but what is done is done, I say we make the best of it.” I watched as he began to take stock of all of my previous employer’s luxuries. He looked back at me, a startled gag coming from his mouth. “We have to get you some new clothes; you can’t e considered a higher being in those rags.”

I took offense as I looked down at my best dress now stained with blood. Sure a few holes appeared over the years but I felt I did a fair job of patching them. My hair was covered with a rag, the color offended too many people I was told. I placed my hand on my head and tore the rag off, shaking out my long red tresses. I looked at all the finery left behind and thought, why would I have all that was theirs. I spent my time cleaning and they were gone, taking my one love from this world with them. I fingered a candelabra close by and turned to look a Victor. He was dressed in the fashionable manner for men of the day. “I should find a better dress.” I giggled. “And what money I can get from selling some of these items I will use to find Dierdra’s daughter.”

“What is your obsession with that child? We can find others.” He stressed again.

“The mother of the child, Dierdra, was my daughter!” I turned on him angry. “Feeding off of children is a sick practice, you should feel ashamed.”

Victor looked at me; it was his turn to be perplexed. “Your daughter? Feel ashamed? You are not like other vampires I’ve met. Feeling emotions is not something we usually suffer, and we don’t have children. Well except for our illustrious Master. Were you made after you had your daughter?”

I stare him down. “I told you I was not made. And she technically wasn’t my daughter, but I loved her like she was.”

He nodded his head as if he understood, Victor always hand an air of confidence believing he knew and understood all. Frankly I’m surprised he’s lived as long as he has. “You took her from her mother after killing her.”

“I did not kill her mother!” I screamed. “I love her as a sister; she herself was my own sister’s daughter.”

“Amazing,” Victor started. “You have been raising your nieces. I still don’t understand who would have made you and left you alone to figure things out on your own. It is cruel. Do you remember what the person who bit you looked like?”

“Who bit me?” I repeated. “I was not bit. Are you saying you bit and lived, turned into someone like me?” I was confused, I knew my mother was bit, but she was normal dying a normal death and she never craved blood.

“Tell me your story for I think you are unlike any I’ve met before.” He took a seat on one of the many couches I cleaned over the months. I took a seat next to him soaking in the comfort of the couch.

“Like I keep telling you, I was born this way. I’ve felt the urge for blood since I was young. I drank cows blood to tide the cravings and did not take a human life until my early twenties, and that was many years ago. I’ve been caring for my sister and her descendents all these years, Dierdra was my pride and joy. Such a bright light, such a joy, but now she is gone. I will have my revenge!”

Victor sat gaping at me. “I’ve known of natural born vampires, two have come forward to claim their birthright, to rule over all vampires, but we have kept them at bay because of the rumors of a third child of the Master, a daughter. Old Benjamin said he met her once but she was too young then, are you her?”

“A man visited my mother rand me at the market once, and called me a child of his master but he left after…” he interrupted me and finished my statement “… buying rosemary. My wonder it is you!” He took both my hands. “Do you not understand how important you are to vampire kind? You and your brothers will lead us to our finest hour, you will lead us into an age of pure darkness when we shall be free to be ourselves.”

He eyed me again suspiciously. “How long before tonight had you tasted human blood?”

“Several months, but I did not wish to leave Dierdra alone with these… people.” I hung my head. For all I did, for the precautions I took, I still failed her in the end; she still died because of me, because of what I am.

“What have you been feeding on then?” He asked bringing me back to the now, his eyes already aghast at what my answer could be. I was about to answer but he stopped me. “No, never mind, I don’t’ think I want to know. I don’t’ want to lose my own supper.”

We tore through the house choosing fine gowns for me to wear. It was great fun, but the thought of revenge was not purged from my mind. Over the next few years, Victor took me under his wing and showed me many things. I shared with him the knowledge of the effects different herbs had on me. I had him try some buy they had no effect on him. I found myself using some of my concoctions to dull the yearning to get Dierdra’s child back. Everyday I seemed further away from my goal.

I began to hunt once a week with hopes of finding any knowledge of her whereabouts, Victor laughed at my efforts but he enjoyed having me as a student and did not upset me much. Later I discovered he hoped to have some pull with the counsel and I fear it was the only reason he helped me those many years.

Fifteen years flew by and I was no longer living in squalor. Victor and I found a house to my liking and I took everyone insides life, except the children. I rand them out. Victor despised my soft spot but I assured him that children needed to live to make more food and someone had to tell of our evil nature.

“I do believe I finally changed your heart in the right direction.” Victor told me one evening when I threw a child out a window. He did not see the landing and the child run safely off. I merely nodded and looked at all the dead bodies at my feet. “You have not talked about Dierdra’s daughter in many months, it is good that you forget about that part of your life, you have a more important role. It also seems that you are beginning to kill for pleasure and not just on your hunt for revenge now.”

“You have shown me the life I was missing out on, but I still miss having children around.” The first part was a lie, but I said it to keep Victor appeased.

Victor nodded all knowing. “Of course, but you can have children.” I looked at him perplexed. “You can make vampires of your own; they will be your children now.”

“Fifteen years together and you are now telling me of this?” I smirked but was excited at the prospect of making my own children that could never die. I would not have to bear the loss of children dying any longer. He explained how, I cannot write the procedure down here, it is against vampire law to have the turning ritual in words. I immediately wanted to try.

“Antigone, don’t rush into making a child. You must find someone worth your time and energy. Someone who wants to be immortal.” I nodded knowing I would start my search immediately. I only made four children of any real importance, but I sired several, my first child, what that poor creature went through, what they still go through. The pain I caused by making a mess of the turning ritual. The poor pitiful creature that goes everywhere with me and stays locked in the basement. That memory is better left only on paper, for no one to know the horror.

After a couple more years I was stronger then Victor and ready to take my place alongside my brothers to rule over vampire kind, or so I thought. Victor would not be the one to travel with me, he grew tired of only me for a companion and found other women, those he could turn, have some power over. I can’t say I missed his pompous nature, and perhaps from a position of power would be able to find Dierdra’s daughter, who would not longer be a child.