- Text Size +
A strong, muscular figure stood on the roof of a building. His eyes scanned over the city, searching, hoping that they would show him what he wanted. His maskless, green face was tense, almost serious. He continued to look around until his eyes showed him what he wanted, a green figure on a motorcycle.

The figure followed the motorcycle. Roof jumping was something he was quite good at thanks to years of doing the art. He jumped following the motorcycle closely, cutting it off the best he could. When the motorcycle finally stopped, he did. He stayed on the roof and watched the dark green figure get off his bike and begin to beet up some punks. Suddenly, one of them pulled out a gun.

The first figure jumped from his hiding place. He looked at the punk with the gun and kicked it out of his hands. He then proceeded to knock him out. He watched his brother fight the others with ease. He walked back into the shadows. He watched the fight come to a quick end.

"I know you're there, Leo. I'm a ninja too ya know," said Raph, not happy to see his brother.

Leo walked out of the shadows. He smiled an 'I have something to tell you' smile as he walked out of the dark and into slightly more light.

"Here to keep an eye on me and lecture me when I screw up I suppose right?" asked Raph, annoyed.

"Didn't intend to. I could but that's not why I followed you," said Leo trying not to start a fight.

"If its Calli liking me, I hate to say it but I know and I'm not interested," said Raph.

Leo's heart broke. She was after Raph, his brother. She had no interest in him. Leo's eyes started to burn with a fire. He couldn't get angry at Raph. It wasn't Raph's fault she was attracted to him. In fact, Raph was not interested in her. Leo then turned his mind to the reason he had come.

"Actually, that's news to me but again, that's not the reason I came," said Leo, pretending that the information didn't faze him.

"Then why did you follow me?" asked Raph annoyed.

"To talk," answered Leo, simply.

"Jeez, couldn't you wait until I got home?" asked Raph.

"Well, if I did, then we would have Don and Mikey breathing down our backs. Times, Master Splinter would never approve of what I'm about to tell you," said Leo.

"Okay. Why the hell aren't you wearing your eye mask?" asked Raph.

"Didn't feel like it. Felt like coming after you as me, Leo, who I wanna be. Not Leonardo the ninja student or the perfect son or the leader. Just Leo," said Leo as he leaned against the wall and crossed his arms.

"Leo the way you wanna be? What the hell? When have you talked like me?" asked Raph confused.

"Cause I feel like it. Times, I've been thinking, we need to hangout without fighting more," said Leo.

"WHAT? Who are you and what the hell have you done with Leo?" yelled Raph pointing to his brother.

"No one's done anything to me. This is how I wanna be but can't because of Master Splinter and his choice to make me leader," said Leo.

Raph looked at Leo skeptically. Leo had never been one to rebel. He just couldn't believe that the perfect son wanted to get out of his position. He looked at his older brother with a questioning look.

"Okay, so what brought about this?" asked Raph.

"Bottled up emotion that builds up over the years. Look, I've been sick of us fighting. I wanted to tell you, you've got it easy. You have no idea what I would give just to have one day of what you have," said Leo in a serious voice.

"Me? What about what you have? I mean, Sensei looks at you like you're perfect cause you are! I have nothing compared to what you got. Heck, I would actually love to be leader even if it's for one day," said Raph.

"Wanna trade lives?" asked Leo with a grin on his face but in a still serious voice.

Raph looked up at his brother in shock. Sure, they would joke like this when they were young but they were twenty-one now! They were grown adult turtles. Who would have thought that he would have heard those words come from the mouth of his older brother. Mikey, Raph was able to see but it wasn't Mikey who said it, it was Leo.

"Why should you wanna trade lives with me? All I do is roam the streets, no one cares except for you when you sit and lecture me on how 'reckless' I am," said Raph.

"Exactly. No one cares what you do because you're not expected to be the responsible one. You're not expected to lay down your life for everyone in the group. You're not expected to sit through endless hours of brainwashing and lecturing from Master Splinter. Heck, you've never had to go through more intensive hours of training just so you would be a perfect assassin," argued Leo.

"So if you're so jealous, why the hell do ya lecture me?" asked Raph, taken back by what his brother had said.

"Because I'm jealous. Okay? I can't have what you have. I know I can't. When I do, I'm looked down upon," said Leo feeling anger well up inside but at the same time feeling like a ton was just taken off his shoulders.

Raph couldn't believe what his brother was saying. He had never thought Leo was actually jealous. Raph looked at his brother again who was putting his weight against the wall of a building, lounging. He had no idea what to do; he hadn't ever thought this situation would happen.

"Why do you think I'm so lucky?" asked Leo.

Raph stared at his brother. He knew he could never answer that question easily. There was never one factor. Although he wanted Leo's position, he never really thought about what Leo ever had to endure.

"First off, Master Splinter always chose you to be the leader. Second, you get the attention while the rest of us get jack shit of his attention on a regular basis. Third, you are never punished or yelled at," started Raph as he used his hands to count the points.

"Believe me, the attention factor is something I'm very willing to give up. The only reason I don't get into trouble is because I'm worked harder if I do act up. So why cause more unwanted attention to yourself when you don't want it?" asked Leo.

Raph nodded. It was true. On occasions, Leo did seem to hate attention and always tried to put it onto one of his brothers. It wasn't able to be denied. Raph thought about how they once talked about this when they were about eight, four years before their friendship would turn to ruins. Leo did say he hated the attention and that's why he would try to pass it to Mikey since he was the easiest to get the attention onto. Suddenly, Raph started to chuckle.

"What's so funny?" asked Leo.

"Gee, I dunno Leo, this sounds like a repeat of thirteen years ago. Remember?" asked Raph, trying hard to contain himself as he found the situation funny.

"No, I don't," said Leo, failing to see the humor

"Remember back thirteen years ago you once told me you hated attention?" asked Raph as he smiled at the thought of the past.

"That's right and I told you I was trying to pass it all onto Mikey," said Leo chuckling and then smiling.

"Yeah then remember Master Splinter walked into the room and told you it was time for your practice?" asked Raph starting to laugh harder.

"Yeah, god, was he pissed. Got a nice hour lecture on that," said Leo as he too started to laugh harder.

The laughter felt good to both brothers. They hadn't shared a good laugh since they were young and now, the friendship was being reborn. They could both feel it. They felt a part of them, once lost, come back into being.

"Ya know, we need to hangout more. You're pretty cool when you don't act all leaderish," said Raph, as he calmed down.

"Yeah. I think it would do both of us some good. Maybe fighting considerably less would help too," said Leo smiling.

"What? No fighting? Come on, where's the fun in that?" said Raph as he gave an evil grin.

"Very true," mused Leo as he too gained an evil grin.

"Have more fun with it and you should start the fight. Make it more interesting," suggested Raph.

"Just like old times," laughed Leo.

The two brothers laughed a bit longer before Leo's shell cell went off, once again, killing the moment. After Donny told Leo to once again come back, Leo put the cell back in his belt. Leo looked briefly at Raph before the two of them started to laugh again.

"Gotta get going," said Leo as he started to leave.

"Now, Leonardo, don't bring back anymore chicks," said Raph still laughing.

"Don't worry I won't but you had better this time. Oh, and please, make sure she's the same species," laughed Leo as he walked away.

Raph watched his brother as he left. He shook his head. God, that was pretty damn fun, thought Raph to himself. He made a mental note to not fight with Leo but joke with him a bit more. He walked back over to his bike and got on. He began to ride away with thoughts of the past coming back to the future.