- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
YAY! finally finished chapter 12! Seems I get my best writing done at like 1am? LOL strange. I'm sitting here listening to XM radio and the 90s channel and some of the boys music came on and well it made me giggle and want to update so YAY here ya'll go! As always R&R!!
Chapter Twelve: Pink or Blue

“I just, he drives me absolutely mad. First he’s all self-conscious about his weight and then he gets mad at me for asking for advice from MY friends, who know him and love him too!”

“Maybe he just didn’t want to be vulnerable to them? I mean Les is the same way, she doesn’t realize how beautiful she is.” Mike explained.

Alyssa sighed, “But it’s not fair, he just dumps all of his emotions on me and then what the hell am I supposed to do? I get advice on how to deal with it and if it’s a good idea to encourage him you know?”

Mike nodded fully understanding what she was talking about. “You’ve known Nick and Les how long now?”

“Leslie for almost 12 years now, Nick for almost 11.”

“So…use your vast knowledge about them. He’s really self-conscious because he’s in the business Les is even worse because she’s a girl. It’s not your fault that you aren’t quite sure how to deal with Nick being insecure. I mean it took Les a looonnnnggg time to open up to me. This is a good thing he wants you to understand how he’s feeling because he trusts you.”

Meanwhile…

“I mean how can I trust her she goes and tells my shit to her friends.”

Emma chewed on her lip momentarily wondering if she should say it or not, “So aren’t you doing the same thing with me? I mean you’re trying to get advice and that’s all she was trying to do.”

Nick looked at her his brow furrowed in frustration then put his head in his hands, “God I’m such an IDIOT!”

Emma chuckled a little, “You’re not an idiot, just a guy. And she’s pregnant and emotional right needs validation so she doesn’t think she’s crazy for thinking the way she does.” She explained with an air of confidence.

“How do you know?”

“I can just tell I guess, Alyssa loves you, and you obviously love her. So go tell her. Tell her that you’re lucky to have someone that worries about you the way she does. And that you’re sorry for getting upset and saying things you didn’t mean.”

“But I’m not sorry for being upset, I don’t like her telling her friends that she thinks…that I’m insecure.”

“I know but seriously think about it, she’s going through the same thing you are, she’s insecure right now because you’re insecure. And if you don’t trust in each other then why even bother with a relationship? You can’t have a loving, lasting relationship without trust. So tell her that maybe she should talk it out with you or just not tell you next time she talks to the girls so you don’t have to worry about her telling them?” Emma offered.

Nick looked at her locking eyes for a moment then he gave her a long look her hair was pulled up in a high ponytail and she looked like she was wearing sweats for jogging. But, at the same time she looked completely attractive. He turned away and stood up sharply. “I should go talk to her. Thanks for listening.” He said fiddling with his keys and sidekick.

“Anytime, here’s my number you ever need a friend just call okay?” She said taking his phone and programmed her number into it.

“Will do thanks Emma.” He replied taking his sidekick back.

“I mean it, sometimes you just need a good friend who’ll listen.”

He grinned and nodded before turning and walking back up to his truck.

Back at the house…

“You know he loves you Ali, come on now he’s just scared I bet. Les gets like that ALL the time. She’s always second-guessing herself, unless it’s related to music. And I’m betting Nick’s the same way. They’re more alike than either them or us would like to think.” He reasoned with a sympathetic grin.

Alyssa sighed and looked around the room noticing Leslie’s things around it and how it had changed from when she had lived inside these four walls. “I miss this room sometimes…” She began. “This place was my sanctuary in college I miss it a lot and the independence it represented.”

Mike looked at her oddly for a second. “What do you mean?”

“This room was my escape from Nick and how I felt about him back then…I’d just come in here and hole up for hours just trying to avoid seeing him.” She explained getting a guilty look on her face. “I know it sounds so terrible but I miss it sometimes, being able to be alone. It’s almost like we’re around each other too much.”

Mike sighed a little unsure how to broach the subject, “So talk to him about it. I’m sure he’d understand that you just want some semblance of your independence.”

Alyssa nodded in response taking everything he said in, letting her brain digest it. “Thank you…I’m glad I was able to talk to you about this.”

“No prob, hey take the room tonight, Les and I will sleep on the couch.”

“No I couldn’t do that, you’re a guest. But I am kind of tired, would you mind if I napped a little?”

“Nah not at all it’s your house.” Mike assured.

Alyssa nodded and got into the bed curling up like she used to, instead of her familiar scent on her pillows they smelled like Leslie’s fruity shampoo. She sighed to herself as she drifted off to sleep. Some things really do change.

Mike smiled to himself and turned down the lights going downstairs seeing Leslie walk in. “Hey baby!” She shrieked giving him a hug.

He laughed and hugged her back, “You missed a pretty blow out fight between Nick and Ali.”

“They fought? They rarely ever fight, when they do it’s over in five seconds.” She explained giggling a little at how funny they were.

Mike sighed and went over to the fridge, “Not this time, she’s asleep up in our room, and he took off to God knows where, he seemed pretty pissed off.”

Leslie rolled her eyes, “He’ll be back…” She replied just as the front door opened and Layla took off to the front door having spotted him. “See!”

Nick grinned as Layla ran up to him; he rubbed her head and greeted her seeing Mike eyeing him. He walked into the kitchen seeing Leslie and Mike standing there. “What?” He asked gruffly not liking the looks they were giving him.

Leslie grinned and patted Nick on the shoulder and walked out giving Mike a moment to talk to him alone. “I heard you two earlier, the fight…”

“What of it?” Nick asked grabbing a glass and pouring some water for himself and drinking some then sighing as he swallowed the liquid.

“Man I realize you’re angry at her but she didn’t do anything wrong, she was just making sure that she wasn’t being insensitive to your feelings. Have you ever thought that she maybe afraid she’s not enough for you?”

“No, I mean it’s just she drives me nuts. She tells the girls everything about our relationship and it’s just I want our relationship to be just us not everyone else.”

“But she goes to them because she trusts them and wants their advice on how to keep your relationship alive. She loves you, and you need to appreciate that.”

“Spare the lecture, okay?” Nick retorted and left the kitchen all he wanted was to just curl up in bed with Alyssa and forget the entire fight had happened at all. His talk with Emma had helped him see that he was wrong in the situation that all she wanted was just an opinion, nothing more.

Mike sighed and went after him, “She’s asleep in mine and Les’s room.”

Nick turned and looked at him giving him an appreciative nod, “Thanks for caring, though, it means a lot to both of us.” He added before going up the stairs to what was once Alyssa’s room. He walked in seeing her sleeping form beneath the covers. He walked over and pulled the covers back seeing her in the same pajamas as earlier. Slowly and gently he leaned down snaking one arm under her back and the other hooked under her knees. She stirred slightly as he lifted her up to him. “Shhh, it’s okay.” He said as she instinctively wrapped her arms around his shoulders and snuggled her face into the crook of his neck. He carried her past Mike and Leslie they grinned at them while he took her to their bedroom. Leslie ran up opening the door for him since he didn’t exactly have a free hand. “Thanks…” He muttered as he carried her into the room bringing her over to their bed well aware the cameras were watching his every move. He laid her sleeping form on the bed, lifted her legs and covered her in the sheets. He glanced to the door seeing Leslie standing there with a grin on her face.

“Are you two going to be okay?” Leslie asked her voice full concern.

Nick nodded and walked over giving her a hug, “Thank you…for you know being my sister.”

Leslie gave him an odd look and then looked past to see Alyssa’s sleeping body in the bed and grinned, if it weren’t for her Nick never would have met Alyssa, and somehow that gave her some sort of satisfaction that she’d aided in finding her brother some semblance of happiness. “Welcome anytime.”

Nick walked back into the room closing the door behind him after bidding everyone good night. As he shut out the lights he heard a light moan emanate from Alyssa as she turned to his side of the bed putting her arm out searching for him only to wake up when she found an empty space on the bed. She opened her eyes and looked around, “Nick?” She said sleepily.

He sighed a little hoping to spare this talk for the morning, “Right here…” He said sitting on the bed with his back turned as he slipped off his shirt and jeans.

Alyssa moved to sit behind him and wrapped her arms around his chest and shoulders and kissed his neck. “I’m sorry. I love you.”

At that exact moment all of his anger dissipated and he held her to him. “I love you too, I’m sorry for yelling baby.” He said turning to her and brushed her hair out of her eyes.

She grinned and kissed the inside of his palm, “Can I make it up to you?” She asked getting a devilish yet sleepy grin.

He grinned at her figuring that she wanted to get to the making up part of the fight that they both seemed to enjoy so much. “Not tonight, you’re tired, you’ll fall asleep on me.”

“No I won’t I can….” She began slipping her fingers underneath the waistband of his boxers wrapping her fingers around him as she leaned in and kissed along his jaw line. “Make you feel better…” She said barely suppressing a yawn.

He chuckled and moaned slightly at her touch. “Sugar, it’s okay, make it up to me when you have more energy to okay? Besides we have an appointment in the morning.”

Alyssa sighed and reluctantly took her hands away from him, “Can you hold me while 'til I fall asleep?” She asked in a meek little voice.

Nick smiled and moved her body and his to lay down pressing his chest against her back, spooning her then kissing her bare shoulder. “You don’t even have to ask.”

The next morning…

Alyssa stirred slowly somehow during the night she had turned and was now facing Nick who was already wide-awake and watching her sleep. She opened her eyes and sighed, “Morning…” She said flatly. “When did you get back?”

“Late last night, I carried you in from your old room, and we talked for a minute.”

Alyssa looked at him strangely, “I don’t remember that.”

“I figured you wouldn’t you were pretty out of it, even wanted to skip the end of the fight and go straight to makeup sex, but you were so tired I made you sleep.”

“So that really happened?” She asked rubbing her eyes. “I thought I dreamt that.”

He snorted a little at her, “Must have been a nightmare for you.” He replied sarcastically.

Alyssa punched his shoulder making him wince. “Pussy.”

He rolled his eyes and pinched her arm making hr shriek, “See not nice is it?”

Alyssa moved in closer to him with an innocent yet devious look on her face, “Neither is this…” She replied rubbing her hand over the growing bulge in his boxers.

He groaned and pulled her body to him by her ass then drug his fingers along the growing expanse of her tummy and then under her panties searching out her center as her hand found its way inside his boxers moving over him while her lips attacked his neck. “So how about that makeup sex?” Nick whispered rolling them over so she would be on top.

She straddled his waist looking down at him with her trademark smile then began sliding herself back over him to where she was sitting on his thighs lifting up only to slip off his boxers. Alyssa grinned at him as he watched her every move. She chuckled and pushed her hair behind her ear with one hand as she trailed the other down his stomach and over him making him suck in a breath. “You want me?” She asked with a devilish grin.

“Alyssa…” Nick stated sternly hoping to urge her to get on with it.

At that moment she chuckled then out of the corner of her eye caught the time on the clock. “Fuck!” She shrieked getting up and off the bed.

Nick lay there for a moment completely naked contemplating what exactly just happened. “Ali what the fuck? This is not funny.” He said getting up and putting on a fresh pair of boxers as well as his cargo pants and a tee shirt.

Alyssa came out of the bathroom with a toothbrush lodged in her mouth. “We have the appointment!” She said incoherently.

“Try saying that without the toothbrush.” He retorted having not understood a word she said.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and walked back into the bathroom taking out her toothbrush and spitting in the sink. “We’re going to be late, I have a sonogram today!” She shrieked as he walked into the bathroom.

Nick sighed and wrapped his arms around her from behind, “No makeup sex then?”

Alyssa turned in his embrace and pressed her lips to his. Deepening the kiss he pushed her back against the counter bringing his hands underneath her shirt up her ribs to her breasts massaging them making her moan into the kiss then push him away. “Nick, come on we’re going to find out the sex of the baby today!”

He groaned, “So? I really just want to…” He began but was interrupted by the hurt look on Alyssa’s face.

“You don’t care?”

“No it’s not that, its just I want to be with my fiancé. I want to have crazy wild makeup sex after the fight we had last night.”

Alyssa grinned knowing that it must be torture to have what could be completely amazing sex dangled in front of him then snatched away. “I’m sorry, but we need to go to this appointment, it’s important…however…if you’re good and go with me, without complaining once…”

“What?”

She inched closer to him placing both hands on his shoulders, “You can do whatever you want to me…however you want.” She replied moving her hands down his shoulders to his chest.

Nick’s mouth went dry momentarily and he swallowed hard, “Anything?”

She moved closer leaving their lips less than an inch apart, “Anything your dirty mind can come up with…handcuffs, role playing, you want head…you’re going to get the best head of your life.” She replied hoping that would convince him even further.

“The best?”

Alyssa chuckled and licked her lips for added effect, “Yes, but you have to behave until then, but tonight…I’m yours for the taking, master…” She said before slipping past him going back into the bedroom to get dressed.

About twenty minutes later both Alyssa and Nick walked down the stairs gathering their things to leave. Nick stopped in the driveway contemplating his ability to concentrate on the road. Ever since her little proposition he couldn’t quite get the image of her lying naked on their bed ready and willing to do anything and everything he pleased. “Umm…maybe you should drive…” Nick remarked handing Alyssa the keys to his BMW.

Alyssa looked at him strangely seeing the look of complete and utter longing. “I’m sorry baby…it’s only a few hours then we can be alone.”

“Yeah…can’t think…straight…you…drive.” He muttered going over to the passenger side.

Alyssa chewed the inside of her cheek, she felt horrible for him but at the same time, it was just as hard for her if not worse, she wanted him more and more all the time it seemed, maybe it was because of the pregnancy hormones or maybe it was because they hadn’t been having sex quite as often anymore. She started the car and watched him out of the corner of her eye as they left the neighborhood. She wondered what he was thinking about, what she could expect that night. She knew to never expect anything with Nick that he always surprised her and that this would definitely be no exception. She felt her heartbeat increase rapidly just at the thought of all the possibilities that might be running through that head of his.

An hour later…

“Hi, Alyssa, Nick…” Dr. Petrarch said brightly as she walked into the examination room. “How are you today Alyssa?”

“Good, little tired from work and a rough night but other than that I’m good.”

Dr. Petrarch smiled, “Nick how’s everything with you? Holding up well?”

Nick shrugged, “It’s been rough, especially the mood swings it’s been wreaking havoc on our sex life.”

“It has not!” Alyssa exclaimed.

“Yes it has, explain this morning, we’re all ready to have sex and then you like flip the switch and start getting ready for this appointment.”

“We would have been late if I hadn’t.”

Dr. Petrarch smiled a little. “Well Nick it’s normal for this to happen, try and set a time each day where you spend at least one hour being alone together, and the sex will happen naturally.”

Alyssa chewed her lip momentarily, “Okay about that, what positions are the safest? I mean everything is sort of awkward now that I’m really starting to show.”

“Well I suggest anything that makes you feel comfortable, missionary a lot of times is uncomfortable because of the pressure on your stomach. If you have some privacy make Nick stand instead, gives you a little breathing room.”

“What if I want to be that close to her though?” Nick asked not wanting their sex life to become just about physical needs. Deep down, as much as he didn’t want to admit it but intimacy between them, their emotional connection was becoming more and more important as time went on.

“In that case reverse cowboy in front of a mirror. It’ll allow you two to still be able to look at each other but also provide the most comfort for you Alyssa. Anyways, lets get started.” She said having Alyssa lie back as she got everything ready and began the ultrasound. Alyssa took Nick’s hand preparing them to find out the sex of their baby. “All right, heart beat is still a little irregular but strong. Here’s the head, torso, arms and legs.”

“Wait is that…?” Alyssa asked squinting at the screen.

Dr. Petrarch smiled, “Congratulations you’re having a boy.”

“A boy?” Nick asked getting a giant grin on his face. He knew he’d said he wanted a daughter originally but then all the things he could teach him…his son…sports, music, how to treat women right. He just hoped he’d be healthy enough to do so.

Later that day…

Nick sighed as he walked up to the Barnes and Noble. He’d promised Alyssa he’d pick up a book she’d put on reserve. But at the same time he wanted to do a little shopping himself. He walked in going over to the self-improvement section picking up a book on nutrition. Earlier in the day he resolved to make himself better, health-wise and really prepare himself for fatherhood. He grabbed a bunch of different books from the shelf and then went to the pregnancy section. He cracked open a couple books and sat on the floor reading through the various things deciding on which books would give him the best information.

“Can I help you?” He heard a voice say from behind him. He looked up seeing Alyssa’s student, Lindsay standing there.

“Oh hey…Lindsay right? You’re one of Alyssa’s students.” He said standing up smiling at her.

“Yep, that’d be me Lindsay Barnes.” She replied making Nick snicker-snort.

“Lindsay Barnes? Who works in a Barnes and Noble?”

Lindsay rolled her eyes, “Yeah shut up I get that all the time from my coworkers. It’s worse that I’m a lit major. So what brings you here?”

“Alyssa wanted me to get her a book she put on reserve. But don’t tell her I’m doing a little extra shopping too.”

“Pregnancy and nutrition?” She said scanning the titles. “So it’s true she’s pregnant?”

“Reading the message boards?” He teased mocking a terrified look. “Hope not on LD.”

“Oh hell no those girls are psychotic! I prefer some yahoo groups and the official fan sites.” Lindsay countered making him grin.

“I like you, you’re not…”

“Crazy psycho fan? No sorry, I like to think you guys like to be human but others think of that as a secret identity like Clark Kent and Superman.” She replied making Nick wrinkle his nose at the mention of Superman. “Oh shit, I’m sorry totally forgot, the whole Brandon thing.”

“What do you know about the Brandon thing?”

“That he tried to break you two up. Almost succeeded from what Ali told me.” She said giving him a sympathetic look.

“Yeah…but I love her and she loves me.”

“And now you’re having a baby and engaged it’s really romantic I think.”

He grinned and picked up the books following her over to the line of cash registers. Lindsay ducked behind the desk searching for Alyssa’s book. A moment later she popped back up grinning at him and rang up all the books. He glanced at her noticing how much she reminded him of Alyssa, and at the same time his best friend Chris, the same sense of humor and good nature. “You remind me a lot of my friend Chris…”

“Chris? Really? Seems like he’s well…”

Nick sighed he felt bad in a lot of ways that his friends were perceived a certain way because they were always out drinking together. “He’s not, I know how certain people think about my friends and Chris is a good friend, he’s had my back through a lot of crap.”

Lindsay grinned, “That’s good to hear, LA totally sucks because you can never tell who your real friends are.”

“Seriously I’ve had my fill of fake people.” He said taking the two large bags filled with books.

“I bet, but hey tell Ali I said hi and that I’m looking forward to her lecture next week.”

He grinned and nodded, “Will do. Have a good afternoon.”

“You too!” She grinned back as he left.

Nick arrived home about 20 minutes later sneaking the two large bags up to their bedroom and stuffed them into his closet. Moments later he took her book and laid it on the bar as he walked into the kitchen smiling as she checked on the chicken cacciatore she’d been making while he was gone. “You didn’t tell me Lindsay works at Barnes and Noble.”

Alyssa looked up and giggled, “Yeah I ribbed on her for her last name. She really knows her shit though. She graduates after my class. But she’s going to grad school this fall so I thought maybe taking her on as a TA.”

“Sounds cool, she reminds me of Chris.”

“Chris? Hmmm yeah, she’s got an odd sense of humor like him.” She replied leaning up giving him a short but sweet kiss. “I missed you.”

He grinned more and dropped a kiss to her bare shoulder. “You’re adorable. So adorable perhaps I can persuade you for a little alone time tonight?”

“Alone time?”

“Yeah you, me, alone our bedroom…”

“Oooh is there a possibility of little to no clothing?” She countered making him chuckle.

“I think clothes aren’t really an option…” Alyssa giggled and leaned in for another kiss but just as their lips met the doorbell rang. Nick sighed and announced he’d get it. He went to the door seeing an all too familiar blonde head of hair through the peephole. He flung the door open with a disapproving glare. “Hi Mom…”