- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hehe hey everyone if you hadn't noticed the predecessor to AS, SWIB is november's FEATURED STORY OF THE MONTH!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! hehe A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to Mare and everyone responsible for picking it as the featured story! It's been giving me some major major inspiration and soooo here's another chapter! YAY! I hope to hear from all of you, my loyal Nothing's Impossible Series readers as the story progresses! It's definitely going to be the most intense story emotionally speaking so hopefully you like it!

Chapter Fifteen: Monster-In-Law

**************************************
Nick Narrating:

 

I hate this. Honestly I really do. I love Alyssa, she’s just well my girl. All I wanted was just some time with her. Without the family without pressure. Brian’s idea was perfect and the day was perfect. And fuck me…she looked so amazing. I know why they say that pregnant women are attractive, especially if it’s your child. She had this glow and it just reminded me of how we used to be.

 

But now…

 

I won’t apologize for trying to have sex with her. It’s only natural and for the longest time she’s kept me very spoiled in bed and now that I don’t get it as much I want it more and more all the time. Having the siblings and cameras around definitely isn’t conducive to a practical and active sex life, but damn give me a break here!

 

Call me a pervert, call me an asshole but yes I completely planned on us having sex on our picnic. I had factored in that it wouldn’t happen, but she never really has been able to resist before so for her to pull away and literally not let me finish? That shocked the hell out of me. Sure she’s done shit sort of like that before but not to the extent where we’re both so close and then bam flip the switch she doesn’t want it anymore.

 

It’s totally and completely unnerving and how she was ‘scared’ we’d get caught. We could have but we didn’t. It’s just ugh why can’t I just fuck my fiancé in peace?! Not even fucking really just being with her too. We never get a moment alone to just be together. Which is why I am so fucking glad the show is ending. And I did something even better. I got my mom a hotel room. About 20 minutes away, a room at a little bed and breakfast. Yeah because I’m that fucking desperate to spend some time with her before I have to leave for Nashville.

 

Nashville…

 

That’s going to be interesting to say the least. And the fact that Alyssa doesn’t know yet…yeah she’s going to be pissed. I’ll be gone for two months…two whole months and yet I think it’ll be good for us to be apart a little. It’ll at least allow us to evaluate and appreciate each other that much more. At least that’s what I’m hoping.

 

I’m going to hate it that’s for sure. Being without her for that long. But it’ll work out, it always does right? All I know is that after that little escapade in the truck it’s been really hard on me to be around her. It’s like we’re just friends all over again, only worse, our emotional relationship is strained and awkward we fight constantly and our physical relationship is nearly non-existent.

 

After we came home that day she didn’t speak to me. And it seemed like everyone was getting some but me. Leslie and Mike were making out on the couch (ended up finding Alyssa’s underwear in the cushions which provided further embarrassment for her), Aaron and Kaci were locked away in his room, Angel hadn’t returned home with her flavor of the month yet and Wes and Beej were practically fucking in the pool. And here I come back into the house completely sexually frustrated surrounded by sex.

 

And then…Emma called…She wanted to hang out. Yeah and I being the smart one said yes. It was torture, she looked good, really good. I know, I know what you’re thinking I’m horrible for even thinking about another woman but I can’t fucking help it right now. Emma reminds me of Alyssa, the way she used to be, fun, and almost carefree. I’d give anything to see that in Ali again. She made me lunch and we just sat and talked like really seriously talked. But I couldn’t help but notice things, like how she laughed at my lame jokes or how our hands brushed and she didn’t pull away immediately. I’m sure she wasn’t trying to flirt or anything, she seems to truly respect mine and Ali’s relationship but…damn I couldn’t help being attracted to her, she’s a knock out with a brain, it’s a tough combo to come by and I thought Alyssa was one of the very few who had that. I guess I was wrong.

 

I think the reason why I’m attracted to her though…is because she reminds me of Ali, you know the real Alyssa the woman I fell in love with, not this horrible distortion of her former self. Not to say Alyssa isn’t desirable, fuck me, she is and always will be. But lately it seems like we aren’t even the couple we used to be. We don’t focus on each other anymore, it’s all work work work, and family and ooh baby stuff and doctors appointments. And it’s driving me nuts.

 

I guess…really it comes down to that I miss the woman I fell for. I just hope she’s not gone forever.

 

End Narration.
********************************************

 

Alyssa sat in her office trying in vain to concentrate on grading papers and planning another lecture. True she normally used the same power point presentations every semester but she at least liked to keep her speeches fresh in case anyone who may have failed or dropped would be retaking the class. Thankfully she hadn’t gotten to that point in her career, none of her students failed, some had to drop for medical or personal reasons but normally she had a great class retention rate. She’d been meeting with students off and on through out the day and one glaring fact came to her. She needed a TA, someone to keep her straight, help her in case her doctor’s appointments ran over and made her miss class.

 

Only one name came to her mind…Lindsay Barnes. By far her best student she’d had at her time at UCLA. She reminded Alyssa of herself, but it would have to wait, until Lindsay finished her class. She already helped to an extraordinary extent with helping her in class and suggesting awesome books and ideas for the following semesters.

 

But alas, that would have to wait, at least a year if not a little longer. She looked at her calendar smiling as she saw the date of her maternity leave then her plan for her yearlong absence. She didn’t want to say anything yet but she wanted to be a full time mom when the time came, at least for the first year and then slowly get back into teaching at the university so she could be a good mom. At least like her mother had done with each of her children, she took extended time to make sure they were ahead of the game developmentally and with Nick working on a new Backstreet album, a possible world tour, and his record label she knew she couldn’t count on him to become a stay-at-home dad while she ran around and worked herself into the ground.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door. Curious Alyssa got up answering it seeing Jane on the other side. “Hi Jane…” Alyssa greeted civilly letting her into her office. She had no idea that she knew where it was or really where to find it. Although she did suspect Nick or one of his siblings had something to do with it.

 

Jane grinned a little seeing Alyssa’s neatly organized office. “I wanted to apologize for the other day. Nick…”

 

“He spoke to you?”

 

“Yes, and I had no idea that you’d interpret my words that way.” She explained with a sincere grin.

 

Alyssa sighed, she didn’t want to believe that she could actually be sincere in her intentions. However, she knew Nick craved to have his mother a part of his life so she figured she’d just grin and bear it. “Well it’s all right now, I got over it. If you don’t mind me asking why are you here?”

 

Jane looked at her hands momentarily and then back up at Alyssa, “I know you and I don’t really have a strong relationship, and that’s okay I understand you don’t approve of how I raised Nick and his siblings. However I would like to be a part of my grandchild’s life.”

 

Alyssa bit her lip to keep the snicker from rising within her Raised? More like lack thereof! She mused to herself. “Yes I would like for you to be a part of our son’s life. Nick loves you Jane, even though you and Bob put him through a lot he still really cares for you. I’m sorry that I don’t act like I trust you, I’m just trying to protect my fiancé from anymore heartache.”

 

“I understand, I’m glad you love him as much as you do. Which is what brings me here, I wanted to help with the wedding plans.”

 

Alyssa’s brow furrowed in confusion, “Wedding plans? We haven’t even set a date yet.”

 

“Well I’m determined to get you two married before your first child is out in the world.” She replied with a sincere grin that made Alyssa smile weakly in return and inwardly wince.

 

Later that week…

 

Nick sighed as he fiddled with editing his myspace account. Lately it’d become his escape from his siblings, who had been driving him up the wall with their arguments and pettiness lately. Ever since he’d gotten a hotel room for his mother though, it had calmed down quite a bit. He figured it had a lot to do with Aaron and his mother. Jane made Aaron feel like he had something to prove thus every time he was around the cocky attitude was all the more prevalent which led to more head-butting between him and the girls.

 

What was worse for him, was that Alyssa had been less than receptive to his advances as of late. It hurt him and disappointed him to no end. He wanted closeness with her like he’d become so accustomed to but instead Alyssa was putting up roadblock after roadblock. They hardly went to bed together at the same time anymore. She was usually up late working on something in the office and he was just well too tired to complain so he’d end up going to bed alone, and waited for her to crawl into bed 2 or 3 sometimes even 4 hours later.

 

It was getting to the point even the guys were beginning to notice the strain on him. Maybe that was why they’d decided to get away from it all by going to Nashville. That was the only bad part. He’d have to be away from Alyssa, during the most critical time in her pregnancy next to the last month. He felt terrible he hadn’t said anything to her yet but he couldn’t bring himself to do so just yet.

 

Sighing he got up and walked down stairs seeing Emma and Bobbie at the dining room table with books cracked open all around them in a heated discussion.

 

“This is going to be exciting making our own recipes, I love doing shit like that!” Bobbie remarked grinning as they thumbed through various cookbooks.

 

Nick watched Emma grin at his sister, he’d really grown to like Emma as a friend the past few weeks he’d been spending time with her. She was definitely different than most LA women and he liked that a lot. But at the same time it scared him just the least bit. Knowing he could think like that about her when just a few short years previously he’d thought the exact same about Alyssa. “Hey you two…” He said with a slight grin.

 

Both girls looked up and smiled, “Hey, how’s work?” Bobbie asked sincerely.

 

He nodded taking a breath, “Good, going to Nashville for 3 months is the plan, hopefully Alyssa will go with me.”

 

“Let’s hope, you two need a good vacation away from work.” Emma replied smiling.

 

“Don’t I know it, all she’s been doing lately is work, work and more work.”

 

Emma nodded, “Well you can’t say she’s not driven though, she at least knows what she wants and is willing to sacrifice a lot to get it.”

 

‘Yeah including sacrificing time with me’ Nick thought snidely to himself. He couldn’t help it he felt a little more than neglected lately, he felt down right ignored.

 

“Well I’m sure it will all work itself out right? Maybe just you two need to reminded that you two love each other?” Emma offered.

 

“Maybe…but I’ll leave you two alone so you can work.”

 

“Oh no it’s okay Nick, Em and I wanted to discuss an idea with you and maybe get some business advice.” Bobbie suggested with a grin.

 

Nick pulled back one of the chairs closest to his sister and turned it around sitting with it backwards resting his arms on the top of the chair. “Oh really? Tell me about it.” He asked curiously he was happy that Bobbie had thought to come to him.

 

“Well Emma and I want to start a restaurant, and we want to know where you’d go to get investors?”

 

Nick chewed his lip for a moment a plan forming in his head, “Well first I’d go to my family and pitch the idea, if they thought it was solid and wanted to contribute great and then maybe they could point them in the right direction. What type of restaurant?”

 

“Gourmet everything, Asian to Mexican, to American and European influences but everything would have a new take on it.” Emma explained.

 

“Hmm sounds like a good restaurant, here I’ll make you two a deal, you two come up with a solid business model and back it up with a ton of research and I’ll invest some of my money, and maybe get the fellas in on it too.”

 

“Really like a Backstreet restaurant?” Bobbie retorted laughing.

 

“Did you know Justin Timberlake owns Koi?”

 

“No…”

 

“Yeah, putting a celeb’s name on the deed in LA almost guarantees success. But still Howie’s into real estate he’d love to get involved and so would Brian and AJ so if you two want a restaurant and are willing to work as hard as I do for your goals then I’ll help and even give you some names you can go to if you decide you don’t want your brother as a business partner.” He said nudging Bobbie on the shoulder.

 

Meanwhile…

 

“So Alyssa what did the doctor tell you about traveling?” Jennifer asked.

 

Alyssa took a deep breath, she knew she wanted to go to this conference but she was still unsure, especially with her and Nick on such uncertain terms lately. She knew it was hard on him but he didn’t understand. She was trying to get everything settled before the baby came so she could devote herself wholly to being a mom for the first year of his life. “Yeah she said I can as long as I see a doctor while I’m there and don’t do it if I don’t feel well.”

 

“Are you sure about this extended leave after you have the baby?” Jennifer asked concerned.

 

“For the first year…I need to be a mom it’ll be too stressful otherwise, but I’m forcing it out now so I can relax once I go on maternity leave.”

 

“Which is only two months away.” Jennifer smiled. “I’m really happy for you, taking care of your family first looks mighty good to the higher-ups in the university, they’ll be more apt to promote you once you come back.”

 

Alyssa smiled, “I know I’m trying to keep it a secret right now, but when I come back, I’ll need to hire a TA hopefully. I’d like to teach one online class to begin with and then slowly work back up, just in case we get pregnant again, I’m not planning on that happening but this lil guy was quite a surprise too.”

 

Jennifer nodded, “Does Nick know?”

 

“No I want to surprise him after the baby is born, we still haven’t even had time to sit around and pick out names for our son. I’m trying really hard to work everything out before I get on maternity leave so whose ever taking my place while I’m gone won’t have anything to worry about, and will even have lectures prepared ahead of time.”

 

“That’s really sweet I’m sure he’ll be excited to hear that.”

 

“I bet he will be! But yeah I’m going to break the news about the two-week conference tonight. It just sucks its all the way in Prague.”

 

“Yeah it’s going to be an amazing symposium I think you’ll enjoy it and it’ll help augment your teaching too once you come back.”

 

“Yeah I’m sure, it sounds like such an interesting symposium.”

 

“Well I guess then all you need from me is your event tickets and you’ll be good to go!”

 

That night…

 

Alyssa grinned at Nick happy they’d finally finished shooting the last night of the show, and were saying goodbye to everyone. “I’ll miss you Leslie.” Alyssa said giving her a solid hug.

 

“I know, you got to call me when you go into labor with the lil one okay?”

 

“We will I promise! Have a safe flight.”

 

Mike grinned and gave her a hug, “I’m glad I’m going to be related to you, even though it’s through marriage. I can’t wait to be an uncle to this little one.” He said proudly putting his hand on her rounded tummy.

 

After everyone left Alyssa and Nick walked up to the house holding hands as they bid the cameras farewell. As soon as they shut the door Alyssa took in a huge sigh of relief. “Finally…”

 

He glanced over at her, “We’re alone…”

 

Alyssa giggled and gave him a sweet kiss, “Gimme an hour and I promise I’m all yours.”

 

“An hour?”

 

“Yeah I got some paperwork to finish.”

 

Nick rolled his eyes and gave her a look. “Alyssa the paperwork can wait.”

 

Alyssa sighed and shook her head, “No I really need to get this done, I promise.” She assured.

 

“What is with you and work lately? All you ever do is work.”

 

She closed her eyes knowing she’d felt bad for neglecting him but she felt it was necessary at the time so she could concentrate solely on her paperwork to get ahead in time for her leave. “I know how you feel baby, I really do…” She said coming up to him and wrapping her arms around him. “Believe me when you see what I’m doing this for, you’ll thank me for working so hard.”

 

“Not another promotion right?” He said with a questioning glance.

 

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “I’m trying to get everything ready for when I go on maternity leave okay?” She admitted partially.

 

“You’re actually going to take it?”

 

“Yes, I’m going to want the relaxation and time to prepare for motherhood.”

 

Nick grinned and kissed her sweetly, “One hour…I’ll be down here watching Sports Center.” He replied letting her go up the stairs. Moments later Nick went and settled himself on the couch flicking through channels as he got to ESPN. He chuckled a bit at how like an old married couple they’d gotten since they’d become pregnant, he was stuck watching sports while she worked on paperwork when really all he wanted was to be with her.

 

Four hours later…

 

Nick stirred slowly in his sleep and groaned feeling a twist in his back. He sat up slowly groaning at the strain in his muscles. He looked around the room noticing he was still in the living room and had in fact fallen asleep on the couch. He looked at the clock seeing that it was already after midnight. “Shit…Liss you there?” He called out to the downstairs area. When he received no response he rolled his eyes and went up stairs into the office seeing Alyssa shutting down her laptop. “Still working?”

 

Alyssa smiled looking up at him, “No just finished actually. Sorry it took longer, I came down stairs and you were asleep so I figured I’d let you sleep and get finished up.” She said walking over to him and walked them to their bedroom. “I am sorry I’ve been so work oriented lately.”

 

“You are?”

 

“Yes, I miss us…the fun side of us.” Alyssa admitted.

 

Nick grinned and sat on the bed bringing her between his legs. “Well maybe the next couple of months would be good if we you know got away for awhile.”

 

Alyssa saw the mischievous grin on his face.

 

“I’m scared, what are you thinking?”

 

He chuckled and placed his hands on her waist. “Well, the guys and I are going to Nashville for a month or two to record, what if you came with us?”

 

“When are you going?”

 

“Next week.”

 

Alyssa’s face fell it was exactly the same time she’d be heading off to Prague for the symposium. “I can’t…” She began seeing his face fall from a smile to a grimace.

 

“What do you mean you can’t?” He asked his voice a little more standoffish than he’d anticipated.

 

Alyssa placed her hands on his shoulders as she gathered her thoughts, “I’m going to Prague next week.”

 

“Do WHAT?!”

 

“It’s for a symposium on Shakespearean literature, I have to go, it’s important and Dr. Petrarch already said I’m good to go for travel just to be careful.”

 

Nick pushed her away from him and stood up. “And you’re just telling me now?!”

 

“You’re just telling me about Nashville!” Alyssa countered.

 

“Well I thought you could go with me!”

 

“I thought you could go with me too okay, I didn’t know that you and the guys were planning a trip to get out of LA.” She retorted.

 

He shook his head, “So if I had told you sooner would you have told them no?” He asked seeing the thoughts cross her face. “Ha! I knew it, you care more about your stupid career than you do about spending time with me!”

 

Alyssa’s jaw set and she put her hands on her hips, “Stupid career? You think my career is stupid? Well you want to know what’s stupid Nick…the fact that you can’t understand that I love my career, and that I’m practically killing myself so I can be a mother to YOUR SON and not have to worry about my stupid little career!” She said going into the bathroom changing into an oversized tee shirt.

 

Nick immediately felt horrible for what he said. Of course he understood her need for a career, he just wanted her to go with him wherever she went and not have to worry about money the way she did. He turned down the covers changing into a pair of boxers and a tee shirt as he watched her come back out of the bathroom.

 

“You know you think my career is stupid, but what about yours? Why do I have to sacrifice for yours every time, why can’t you meet me half way for once?” She muttered. “But then again I shouldn’t be surprised I am after all just marrying a spoiled washed up pop star.” She said angrily as she lay down in bed facing her body from him.

 

Nick winced at her words and turned off the light choosing to stay silent for the moment. He lay down next to her trying to reach out and pull her close but she shrugged off his arm and pushed herself to the other side of the bed. Saddened he rolled over to the other side and tried to sleep but felt a sharp pang in his heart that some how the divide between their bodies on the bed, began to represent the widening divide between their hearts.

 

Three days later…

 

“So Ali I was thinking we could do maybe a silvery dress for your gown instead of white.” Jane spoke as she grabbed a pink binder. “And I made you this, it’s full of things for you to consider, fabrics, colors all sorts of things, I really think your colors should be teal and coral.” She suggested.

 

Alyssa grimaced slightly looking at all the ideas for the wedding and she looked at Jane turning to her. “Jane really thank you for trying to help, really.” She began trying to let Jane down easy. Ever since she’d mentioned wanting to help Alyssa with wedding plans it seemed each one became more ridiculous and tacky by the second. “But thank you but no. Nick and I want to plan our own wedding. And choose things for ourselves, after the baby is born.”

 

Jane got a solemn look on her face. “Well I was just trying to help.”

 

“I know! I know and it’s all right and very sweet of you to want to help and offer it so generously.” Alyssa replied trying to smooth things over. “But I’d like for Nick and I to plan things when the time is more appropriate for us.”

 

Jane stood up quickly gathering her things with a hurt look on her face. “I can’t believe this, I should have known you’d hate all of my ideas. I just wanted to make a beautiful day for the two of you and here you are just telling me that they’re inappropriate for what you think your wedding should be.”

 

Alyssa grew a little defensive to Jane’s passive aggressive attack. “Like you said it is our wedding, meaning Nick’s and mine. We decide what colors we want, what we’re going to wear and who is going to be there. And for you to think for one second that you can tell me how our day should be run is insulting to me. It’s like telling me I have no better judgment so you need to make all the decisions for me.”

 

“Well judgment doesn’t seem to be your forte with your track record.” She began with a snide smirk referring to Alyssa’s past mistakes, attempted suicide, Brandon, having a baby out of wedlock.

 

‘Like you should talk about having bad judgment at least I haven’t been arrested’ She thought crudely. She’d wanted to say it but knew that if she did that it would lower herself to the status of her future mother-in-law only taking pot-shots because she could. Alyssa took a deep breath and stood keeping her voice firm. “I think you should leave.”

 

Jane stared Alyssa down for a moment noting the brightness to her green eyes glaring at her with a warning glance. She smiled and bid her farewell and walked out. As she made her way to her rental car she picked up her cell phone dialing Nick smiling as he answered. “I think you need to have a talk with your fiancée.” She said in a meek little voice.

 

“What do you mean?” Nick asked concerned hoping that everything was all right.

 

Jane took a shaky sigh and looked around as she sat in her rental. “She was completely rude to me, and I was only trying to offer my help with the wedding plans.”

 

“Wedding plans? Mom we haven’t even set a date yet.”

 

“So? Just because you haven’t set a date doesn’t mean you can’t plan things out.”

 

Nick sighed excusing himself from the boys. “Yes I know that but Mom go easy on her she’s really stressed out, I don’t think she meant anything by it.” He explained.

 

“Well she certainly seemed to, she told me my ideas were inappropriate and asked me very rudely I might add to leave after she question my judgment.”

 

Nick closed his eyes leaning his head back a little, “So what do you want me to do about it, she’s stressed and hormonal I’m sure she didn’t mean it that way. But I’ll talk to her about it okay?”

 

“Okay honey, I love you.”

 

“Love you too Mom.” He said as she heard the line go dead. Smirking to herself she started the car and headed back to her hotel confident the seeds had been planted for her plan.

 

That night…

 

“So how was work today?” Alyssa asked with a grin as they made dinner.

 

Nick sighed a little, “It was work, just sort of odd still without Kevin there.”

 

Alyssa gave him a look for a second and kissed his shoulder trying to ease his anger towards her. She knew he was still angry about the other night so she kept her mouth shut about it. “I’m sure it’s going to be hard without him there, he always seemed like he was the decision maker of the group, but now I’m sure you four can open up and really find some amazing inspiration.” She reassured.

 

“Let’s hope. How was your day? Get a lot of work done?”

 

Alyssa nodded, “Yeah but that didn’t last long, Jane surprised me at work when I was trying to rework some things in the syllabus on a deadline and started spouting off all this garbage about the wedding.”

 

“Garbage?”

 

“Yeah how she wants me to not wear white how we need to set a date before the baby comes and that our colors should be teal and coral. TEAL AND CORAL?!? Can you believe that? I couldn’t deal with it so I…”

 

Nick interrupted her little rant with, “Yeah she said you were really rude to her.”

 

Alyssa’s eyes widened. “I was rude to HER!? Psh more like the other way around. I told her thank you for trying to help but that you and I would decide on what we want for our wedding and when we want it.”

 

“When do we want it? I mean we’ve been engaged since January and its mid March now. Don’t you think we should set a date?” He offered.

 

Alyssa plated their salads and gave him a look, “I didn’t think we were going to even discuss a date until after the baby was born. Just because I think we should wait and focus on being parents and with our respective careers before we really focus on us as a married couple.” She explained.

 

“Oh so it’s all about career again, what are you going to do after he gets here? Are you going to keep this same pace? If so maybe we shouldn’t even be having a child if he’s going to be raised by nannies.”

 

Alyssa’s mouth opened in shock. “I do not want our child to be raised by nannies, I’m planning on scaling back quite a bit when he’s born and throughout his first year.”

 

“You are?”

 

“Yes, I want to be a good mother, unlike yours. She was so rude to me calling my judgment into question because of past mistakes when she has little room to talk. At least I didn’t fuck up five kids.”

 

Nick rolled his eyes but let it go, he didn’t want to fight with her anymore so he kept quiet while they ate. But really they could both feel a tension rising between them, something that if left unchecked would no doubt, in time threaten the very foundations of their once strong relationship.

 

 

 










As always R&R!!!

Chapter End Notes:
And a huge thank you to Tri!!! She's been my saving grace lately so my dear from chapters 13-on in AS I dedicate them to you for all your help and guidance and kind words! Love ya dear!