- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow so another chapter done! YAY! lol I figured this would hold you guys over til I get a chance to write again later this week. I'm in the process of one busy busy week coming up so I won't have much of a chance to write. So I figured I'd punch this one out before I get too busy to update at all! Anyways here is chapter 16 please let me know what ya'll think okay?
Chapter Sixteen: Country-ville

Nick packed his toiletries seeing Alyssa do the same with hers. “Are you sure you can’t come?” He asked with a glance at her.



She looked up over at him and sighed, “You know I’d love to. But it’s good I think we need the time apart.”



“What do you mean?”



“We’ve been at each other’s throats lately and that’s not like us, so I think the time will let us see and appreciate each other more I think.” Alyssa explained hoping that her statements were true.



Nick walked over placing his hands on either side of her face and tilted her face up to his. He smirked and leaned down claiming her mouth in a sultry kiss sucking on her bottom lip softly. Alyssa lost herself in the kiss opening her mouth allowing their tongues to meet passionately. It’d been a while since he had kissed her with such passion and she didn’t want it to end. She placed her hands at his wrists holding him to her prolonging the kiss as smiling into it as his thumbs caressed her cheeks. Growing bolder she moved her hands to his neck and tangled her fingers in his hair lightly scraping her fingernails over his scalp. Which only made him groan into her mouth and pull her mouth closer letting the kiss grow more aggressive.



Reluctantly Nick pulled away and looked at her for a long moment, just studying her face and eyes trying to memorize every moment of silence they shared since that kiss. It was something that was going to get him through the next two to three months that he would be gone.



Alyssa studied the expression on his face and grinned, “I love you.” She spoke simply.



His pensive expression softened as he claimed her mouth again this time it didn’t have any less passion than before, in fact it had more. Tangling a hand in her tresses and moving the other to the small of her back he pulled her body tightly against him. Suddenly he felt a tiny movement in her abdomen, against his own and he jumped. “What the…” He asked.



She giggled and placed his hand on her tummy. “He kicked.” She remarked as he kicked again where Nick’s hand graced her tummy.



Nick smiled wide and chuckled, “Soccer star in the making eh?”



“Most definitely.” She grinned kissing him which made the baby kick excitedly. “I think he likes it when you and I kiss.”



“What do you mean.”



“He’s getting all excited because Daddy’s kissing Mommy.” Alyssa postulated.



Nick sat on the bed and kissed her stomach whispering ‘I love you’ to it softly. Alyssa grinned and ran her hands through his hair. It was little moments like these that made her feel like they could get through this little rough patch they’d hit.



The next morning…



“I don’t want to go…” Nick said aloud as they walked through security together at LAX. Both their flights were in the same terminal just mere hours apart. Nick had a straight flight to Nashville and Alyssa had one to JFK then the next over the Atlantic would land in Prague.



She sighed and hugged him, “I know, I’m going to miss you so much. I know we’ve been fighting a lot lately…”



Nick closed his eyes inhaling her scent feeling calmer and yet more nervous by the second about their separation. “Shh…none of that now. I don’t want us to focus on our fights when we’re going to be apart for so long.”



Alyssa took a shaky breath and looked up at him as they began to move again going over to a little café and sat down before their flights were boarding. “This is crazy you know.”



“Yeah both heading off in two directions.” He said shocked by his own words. Lately it seemed like they were really going off in two directions and the only thing holding them together was a tiny string attached to both their hearts. He wondered, how much longer before that string would give under the pressure and snap?



Alyssa gave him a long glance noticing the nervous expression on his face. “Hey…” She said placing her delicate hand on top of his. “We’ll get through this. We always do…we’re soul mates remember?” She added with a grin.



Nick grinned and looked away momentarily then leaned forward. “Promise me you’ll call the second you land in New York and then when you land in Prague.”



Alyssa smiled at his concerned tone, “Of course, you leave me a voicemail when you land in Nashville, have fun with the boys, you get to at least have some freedom from me and my crazy pregnancy hormones for awhile so rejoice in it a little.”



“I know, and you rejoice in all things Shakespeare. Maybe it’ll give you some inspiration for school.”



She nodded, “Yeah I know, you know what’s really weird?”



“Hmm?”



“We haven’t had a good talk like this in months. Not since the show and your mom started coming around. Maybe that’s what we really needed, is to talk?”



He grinned at her loving how she seemingly read his thoughts, it unnerved him to no end sometimes but at the same moment he loved that she so clearly understood him, loved him for his personality and though they were going through one of their roughest times it made them both feel like there really was something to fight for. Nick stood as did Alyssa they both grabbed their carry-ons and kissed each other for a long moment, just trying to savor the moment before heading off to the gates. Alyssa and Nick sat with each other at his gate holding hands until his flight was called, nothing really being said between them just letting their emotions show through their connected hands. When he stood to board the plane Alyssa kissed him bidding him farewell for the moment.



“Call me okay?” She asked meekly.



“I promise, you take care of you and my son okay? I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you two.” He admitted placing a kiss to her forehead as he wrapped his arms tightly around her.
She breathed him in loving the smell of his skin, knowing it was the memory of it that would get her through their time apart. Breaking away he smiled at her placing a hand at her stomach rubbing his thumb over it gently as if to say goodbye to him as well. “Love you and be safe please.”



“I will. Love you too.” He said with a grin giving her one last sweet kiss before going up to the gate and handing over his boarding pass then walking down the long hallway to the large jumbo jet. She walked away after she saw him disappear onto the plane walking to her own gate. She sat down quietly looking around at everyone seeing a little boy run up to his father in a business suit a briefcase strapped to his back. She imagined that being Nick one day, going off on a business trip only to return to the happy home they’d create together. Lately it was anything but happy and it hurt her, knowing that they were so at odds. She didn’t mean for it to be happening but some how it was.



Meanwhile Nick closed his eyes as he settled himself on the plane feeling it begin to move down towards the runway. He wished she was here beside him. He hated flying with a passion and she always made it a little easier on him just by being there to hold his hand and let him know he wasn’t alone. But now he was alone, off to go record with the guys, without her.



Hours later he arrived in Nashville leaving Alyssa a voicemail as he promised he would and then dialed his mother as he got into the car he rented “Hey mom.” He said when she answered.



“Hey sweetheart how was your flight?”



Nick sighed a little, “Long, you know how it is. How’s Layla?”



Jane grinned into the phone. “She’s good, just had something to eat. You know you didn’t have to pay me to watch her.”



“I know but I figured it’d help you buy her food, it can get pretty pricey.” He replied.



Jane smirked and looked at the check he’d written her for the two months or so he’d be gone. “I’m sure…” She said putting it in her wallet to cash later. She didn’t want him to know that she didn’t exactly like having Layla around. It was odd to her that he even asked her to watch his prized pooch for a few months while he recorded, but she relented anyways figuring it would just let him begin to trust her more.



That night in Prague…



Alyssa yawned as she entered her hotel room thanking Jennifer for arranging a room without anyone else as a roommate. With how tired and irritable she felt she didn’t want to be bothered by anyone else. She picked up her cell dialing Nick’s phone. Smiling when he answered. “Hello?”



“Hey you.” She replied grinning a little as she propped herself up on the bed with pillows.



“You made it?”



“Yeah I’m at the hotel I tried calling from JFK but I couldn’t get a signal.”



He grinned happy she’d been able to at least reach him at some point and had tried. “How’s Prague?”



“Beautiful from the car ride. Not like I’ll actually have much time to experience it with the symposium.” She admitted. “How’s Nashville?”



“Humid but its all right, not as bad as Florida.” He said making small talk. “I miss you…” He admitted openly hearing her take a shaky sigh.



“I know I miss you too lover. It’s only a two months or so and we’ll be fine. We’ve gone through worse.” She said trying to stay positive.



Nick grinned a little, “It must be late there.”



“It is.”



“Well I’ll let you get some sleep, call me when you’re bored okay?”



“Of course. But first I have a question…”



“Hmm?”


“Where do you see us in 20 years?” She asked nibbling on her lower lip. The thought had been plaguing her mind throughout her plane rides.



Nick sat back running a hand through his hair, “In 20 years?”



“Yeah…”



“Happily married with like 3 or 4 kids.” He said tentatively. “I’d love for us to be like your parents you know? No matter how many years we put into our relationship and eventual marriage that we’ll be happy and content to just love each other and love our children.”



“And what if that doesn’t happen?”



“Then obviously we both did something really stupid to fuck it all up. Alyssa what’s with the doubts? I mean I know I have mine but I have faith in us. We’ve gotten through a hell of a lot and I think that’s a real testament to our love.”



“You really love me? Sometimes, especially lately I guess we’ve been taking each other for granted and I feel like it’s pushing us apart. And I don’t want that, I love you so much and it hurts to think that we’re beginning to fall apart.”



Nick sighed, he did really love her more than he could ever put into words and he was glad at least that she was sharing her fears a little with him. “I know, and we’ll work on it. I love you sugar, you’re the only woman I can imagine spending forever with. Now get some sleep we’ll talk more tomorrow.”



“Okay, love you”



“Love you too, night.” He replied then rang off.



A week later…



“So Alex…” Nick began with a smirk.



AJ looked at him and rolled his eyes, “What?”



“You and Kellie…”



“Me and Kel what?”



Nick laughed, “How’s it going with her?” He asked. “She seems really happy man.”



AJ smirked, “I’m just that good what can I say.”



He grinned a little, “Besides that, how are you two doing?”



AJ nodded and grinned, “Really good, she finally spent the night the night before I left and she made me this awesome breakfast the next morning. Waffles and eggs benedict.”



“Nice…” Nick remarked trying to remember when the last time it was Alyssa made breakfast for him.



AJ noticed Nick’s pensive expression and nudged him on the shoulder. “What about you and my favorite brunette?”



Nick sighed and looked out the window as they drove to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. “Things…”



“Yeah?”



“Things have been really strained lately, the show’s over and my mother is back in Florida watching Layla for me. But it’s just I don’t know man I miss what she and I had.”



“Had? What do you mean had?”



“We’re not happy anymore…we fight constantly and it never gets resolved with an I’m sorry much if it all it’s like each fight builds up on the last one.” He explained. “And it’s exactly how my parents used to fight. And it’s scaring the fuck out of me.”



AJ looked at him for a long moment, “Is there someone else?” He asked tentatively.



Nick looked at AJ with a shocked expression, “If you think I’m cheating on her then no.”



“But there is someone that’s got your attention right?” AJ countered making Nick look away guiltily. “I fucking knew it. Nick it’s not just the fighting that’s getting to you. It’s the familiarity of Alyssa. You two are going to have a baby, you’re getting married and now you’re scared shitless because you’re attracted to someone else as strongly as Alyssa am I right?”



Nick looked at him strangely wondering how he’d hit the nail so squarely on the head. “What am I going to do?”



“You need to remember why you fell in love with Alyssa to begin with. And why you’re willing to give your last name to her. Kellie was telling me that she saw you with Emma not to long ago and I think you should stop being friends with her completely especially if she’s the girl you’re attracted to.”



Nick nodded and sighed, “I’m not really all that attracted to Emma…” He lied.



“Liar…you’ve probably already started having sex dreams about her right?” Nick’s face grew white and he looked away in shame. It wasn’t as if he was trying to fantasize about Emma but for the past three weeks he’d kept having the same dream that always made him wake up halfway through completely freaked out that his mind was actually imagining Emma’s body, her mouth and hands all over his. “Nick maybe you wouldn’t be having these dreams if you knew what was really behind them. Maybe you should see a psychologist.”



“I’m already in therapy for my family’s problems…”



“So call up your therapist tomorrow and ask what you should do about these dreams your having which don’t lie I know you do, you always look haggard in the morning and if anyone even mentions Alyssa you get this guilty look on your face.”



“Maybe…”



Late that night…



Nick sighed as he kissed his way along her neck while she unbuttoned his jeans hurriedly slinking down his body she extracted his cock from his boxers running her slender fingers over him before taking him fully into her mouth. He groaned and gathered her platinum blonde hair in his hand and growled, “Emma…”



With that Nick bolted up in bed a cold sweat on his brow and his chest heaving from the intensity of his dream. It had been the same dream again. AJ’s words still rang in his mind as he picked up the phone dialing Alyssa’s cell hearing it ring once…twice…



“Alyssa Monroe…”



“Hey baby.” He said sighing a little.



Alyssa glanced at her watch. “Nick it’s gotta be like three in the morning there what’s going on?”



“Had a bad dream…needed to talk to you.” He said leaving out the major events that the dream entailed.



Alyssa grinned into the phone, “I’m sorry lover…but it’s not such a good time, I’m on my way into another lecture, can I call you afterwards it should be done in a few hours, it’ll let you get some sleep.”



He sighed, not the response he was looking for. “Sure…” He said ringing off with her moments later. He looked around the room and put his head in his hands then grabbed his phone looking up a number he knew he shouldn’t be calling but found himself dialing it anyways. He waited and almost contemplated hanging up until he heard a sleepy ‘hello’ on the other end. “Emma…sorry for calling so late…” He said immediately kicking himself for calling her.



Emma sat up in bed a little and turned on the light. “Hey its not a problem what’s up?”



“Nothing just needed to talk to a friend…”



Emma smiled liking that he called her a friend even though she was attracted to him she knew that they’d never be anything but friends and somehow the thought comforted her that she could in fact be friends with someone like him. A good man, who loved his fiancée and was going to be a father, it gave her hope that someday she’d find a man who would look at her like he looked at Alyssa. “So what’s wrong?” She said stifling a yawn.



“Alyssa and I have been having problems lately…” He admitted partially.



Emma sighed and laid back on her bed. “It’s okay to have problems I mean you two can’t be perfect forever. But you love her right?”



“Yeah of course I do.”



“Then that’s all you need, if you love her you two will work it out. Talk to her about it, tell her how much you care and are scared of losing her.”



He sighed and nodded unconsciously, “Thanks Em…”



“Welcome I’m here anytime you need a friend to talk to.” She said smiling. After they rang off Nick went into his luggage finding a photo album Alyssa had snuck into his luggage. He glanced at every picture, of Alyssa, the two of them how in love they were solidifying more and more in his mind. He knew she had her doubts just as he did. And really he began to think that is attraction to Emma maybe misplaced attraction to how Alyssa used to be. He got to the back of the book seeing a sonogram picture of his son from Alyssa’s womb and a small note attached.



We love you daddy.

Love,

Ali, and baby




Nick got choked up a little and ran his fingers over the fuzzy outline of his son. That right there alone gave him the purest hope that everything would be okay. He was a father now, and he knew that there was no one else he’d rather have the mother be than Alyssa.



***************************
Alyssa Narrating:



Prague is absolutely beautiful it’s got so much history in it and really I haven’t been able to see much of it we did have a bunch of field trips. One was seeing a Shakespeare in the park performance. That was amazing to see how it’s presented in a different language, how they took different things and made them all relevant to the storyline. Simply amazing. I wish Nick were here to see that. He actually would have really enjoyed it.



I’m sort of glad though, that he hasn’t been here.



I know, I know I sound like a horrible person all happy that he wasn’t here. But really it’s made me appreciate him more. I miss his face first thing in the morning, shaving cream in the sink, the smell of his cologne, the touch of his hands. I miss that. And hopefully I’ll be able to have that very soon.



Yep as soon as I get home to LA, I’m going to my doctor, then I’m going to fly to Nashville and surprise my fiancé. I miss him, just being around him and I realize now why we had been fighting so much. We didn’t appreciate each other anymore and really that made me sad. I’m so hopelessly in love with that man it’s scary sometimes. And being pregnant I’ve realized just how strong my feelings are for him. Yeah we’ve been fighting all the time. But really it’s because we’re so passionate about each other that we do fight because we haven’t been letting our passion out the way we used to.



Not having sex like we used to is that huge factor. I hope that this weekend I’ll be in Nashville he can take a little bit of time and we can recapture that. It’s one of the big reasons why we’re so strong. We love each other and we know how to show it physically too not just by sweet words and kind gestures. I need to remind him how good we are together, by reminding him of the physical chemistry we share. I think it’s a pretty brilliant plan. Remind him that though we maybe parents soon, it doesn’t mean we still can’t screw around like we’re still dating.



It’s going to be hard that’s for sure once we’re married to find time to keep the spark alive. Maybe that’s why I’ve been so gun-shy lately about setting an actual date to our nuptials. Because I’m scared of losing that spark forever once we say ‘I do’.



It’s a logical thought right?



End Narration.
***************************



Alyssa walked into the house confident about her plan. She opened a few windows letting some of the Pacific ocean air filter through and make the house feel less stale from being closed up for two weeks. She saw the answering machine flashing and she pressed play.



Hello this message is for Mr. Carter, this is Anna from the pit-bull rescue service you bought your dog Layla from. We just received word that a woman dropped her off at a Florida pound. Please call us to tell us what’s going on and we can start to work on getting Layla back for you. My number is…



Alyssa hurriedly wrote down the number not believing what she heard. How could anyone do that to Layla. Then it dawned on her who had dropped Layla so carelessly at the pound. A woman…in Florida. “Jane…” Alyssa said aloud grabbing her cell and dialing Nick’s frantically.



“Hello?” Nick answered.



Alyssa shook slightly nervous, frustrated and furious at Jane for her treachery. “Nick, Anna from the pit-bull rescue charity called…”



“Yeah?”



“Apparently your mother dumped Layla off at a Florida pound, they must have scanned her chip and called the service.”



“Do WHAT?!”






As always R&R!!!
Chapter End Notes:
yet another thank you to Tri! She's been majorly helping me out with my inspiration lately!!