- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WOO! chapter 18!! Ahead of schedule too! 17 was supposed to be done tonight, but i finished that a few days ago. Hopefully this will continue and I can get chapter 19 out of my mind tonight cuz yes it's DEFINITELY HEATING UP AROUND HERE! LOL it's gonna get interesting so I hope you all stay tuned and please let me know what ya'll think okies?
Chapter Eighteen: Big Fat Liar



Nick walked off the plane holding tightly onto Layla’s lead as he led her through the special part of the airport for private flights. He knew that Clark and Aaron were meeting him since Alyssa had been told not to do much strenuous travel in her condition so she sent her brother and future brother-in-law to fetch him and Layla.



Nick smiled as he approached Aaron’s Escalade, Layla excitedly pulling him along as she spotted familiar faces and wanted to greet them. Clark grinned and opened the back gate of the truck to let Layla jump in and lay down in the cargo area. He rubbed her head as she panted slightly from the excitement of the travel. Nick gave a quick hug to both Aaron and Clark before they all piled into the truck and headed for home.



“So how hard was it to arrange everything?”



“It wasn’t too bad, I mean I had to charter a jet to even fly Layla to Florida in the first place. But it was just on really short notice that I had to do everything. I think from now on I’ll just have Beej or Angel stay with Layla whenever I travel.”



Aaron huffed a little and laughed, “Why did you even send her to Mom in the first place, you know she can’t be trusted.”



“I don’t know I think I just wanted to see if I could trust her.”



Clark sighed a little and turned in his seat to look at Nick, “But seriously, have you gotten her side of the story yet?”



Nick shrugged, “No, I’ve been so focused on getting Layla home that I don’t even care what she has to say.” He explained. He wanted to be angry with her, be completely upset and hate her forever, but it did occur to him that he wasn’t getting the whole story. Maybe it was really all a misunderstanding?



“Well all I’m saying is just find out all sides of the situation then make your decision.” Clark advised looking at Nick with a concerned glance.



Nick chuckled and bit his lip, “Thank you Mr. Cronkite…” He quipped sarcastically. “Or maybe I should say Margaret Bourke White since you’re a photographer.”



Clark rolled his eyes and laughed a little, “Ass…you’re lucky my little sister loves you.”



Nick laughed a little as they walked into his home. “Alyssa’s napping so we’ll hang out on the deck.” Aaron remarked as they headed out to the back patio letting Layla roam free throughout the house.



Nick relaxed on the lounge chair looking over at his two brothers, really both of them were, Aaron of course by blood, and Clark in all the ways that mattered. “So Aaron how are things with Kaci?”



Aaron smiled and sighed in delight, “Really well now that I’ve decided to put Kellie past me. I’ve really fallen in love with Kaci. And I told her…”



“You did?”



“Yep, she was shocked…”



“Reminds me of when I told Ali that I loved her…” He remarked thinking back to that fateful night.



“What?” She asked clutching the sheet to her naked body. “Nick you love me?”



Nick grinned and pulled her closer to him, “Yes, I love you Alyssa…” He said leaning in and kissing her neck.



Alyssa closed her eyes a little relishing in his lips on her skin exciting her to have him take her again. She pushed him away from her body looking at him momentarily before leaning in and pressing her lips to his fully. She didn’t know if he really did love her but she knew that she didn’t want the night to end. She had a feeling it was going to be the last time she’d get him like this, that’d he’d be done with her by morning so she better get as much of him while she can. She let him push her body down onto the bed and discard the sheet between their bodies as he continued to kiss her mouth massaging her tongue gently with his own. Alyssa wrapped her arms around him spreading her legs as he settled between them entering her slowly. Alyssa broke the kiss and threw her head back gasping for air as she felt him slide slowly within her. She was still quite sore from the first round but the initial pain had dulled overpowered by the pleasure of him being inside her, on top of her. Nick looked up to her face seeing the near pained expression and stopped short. “Are you all right?” He asked making her look up at him and in his eyes.



She nodded and leaned up kissing him trying to urge him to continue. When he didn’t move at all she stopped and looked up at him. “Please…I…need you…to…” She muttered breathing hard as he leaned down claiming her mouth hooking his arms under her shoulders as he began to move in and out of her at a painfully slow pace. She sighed and turned her head slightly breathing in deeply.



“God…Lissa you…feel…so good…” He muttered in between placing kisses to her neck and collarbone.



Alyssa tangled her hands in his hair and wrapped her legs around his hips. Getting a wicked idea she smirked, “Nick…”



He looked up at her seeing her hair splayed out across his bed. “Hmmm?” He asked slowing his movements teasing them both.



“Roll over…I want to try something…” She said with an almost coy grin.



He smirked and rolled them over letting her straddle his hips. She placed her hands on his chest as she sunk down onto him throwing her head back letting her hair swish covering her face. Nick sat up at that moment as she began to thrust her hips onto his. He pushed her hair out of her face holding it at the nape of her neck as his other hand went to her hip urging her to move a little harder making her moan and dig her fingernails into his shoulder blades. Nick pulled on her hair exposing her neck fully to him as he attacked it licking and sucking and nibbling along her throat smirking as he felt the guttural groan brew from deep within her throat. He pulled her body even closer to his while he began to thrust his hips up in time to meet hers thrust for thrust. Alyssa moved her hips faster trying to bring them closer to their climaxes as fast as she could.



He knew she wanted the torture to end but he didn’t, he flipped them over slowing their pace again slipping a hand in between them to rub over her clit as he thrust inside her deeply. “Harder…” She muttered making him think he was hallucinating.



“What?” He asked breathlessly.



Alyssa shuddered and tightened her legs around his hips and cried out in pleasure, “Harder…please…harder…” She pleaded making him grin and thrust harder feeling her walls begin to contract around him.



“Lissa…” He growled as he felt her orgasm wash over her sending him over the edge as well with a loud growl releasing himself inside her. He pressed his forehead to hers as they slowly relaxed from their high. He didn’t pull away from her body just yet, reveling in feeling so close to her, mentally, physically and emotionally. He opened his eyes seeing her green ones studying him slowly. He saw the range of emotions, fear, relief, happiness, lust…and what looked like love. Could she really feel the same as him and only be hiding her true feelings?




Nick sighed at the memory the questions that night had made him consider. He never would ever regret that night, it made him realize just how much he loved her and still did. It was memories like that, that reminded him over and over that he did make the right decision to ask her to marry him. She did really love him even though she had problems emotionally opening up to him, but really to him he knew deep down that she wouldn’t be pushing him away like she was if in her heart she felt something real and deep for him.



“You in there?” Clark asked looking at Nick’s far away expression



“Huh what?”



Clark chuckled and patted him on the shoulder, “Go take a nap dude you must be jet lagged.” He said smirking.



Nick nodded and headed up the stairs smiling when he saw Alyssa’s form beneath the covers. He went over to his side laying down facing her. He watched the peaceful expression on her face as she moaned lightly in her sleep. She moved towards Nick’s side, unconsciously cuddling up to him. When it registered that it was him and not a pillow she stirred opening her eyes. “You’re home…”



He grinned and brushed a few stray strands from her face. “Yeah baby I’m home.”



She smiled and pressed her lips to his in a sweet kiss. He grinned into the kiss opening his mouth as her tongue swept out momentarily. Just as soon as it began the kiss ended with Alyssa pulling away. She had so many things she wanted to tell him. The baby’s heart defect being the main one. The stress of finding out that their child would need major heart surgery after it was born was enough to make anyone’s head spin. She knew she’d have to tell him sooner or later but she wanted to wait at least for now so she wouldn’t ruin his homecoming.



Three days later…



“Nick, I can’t believe you didn’t come to me. This whole thing was a huge misunderstanding, I went away for the weekend with your stepfather.”



“He’s not my stepfather, he’s just your husband.” Nick reasoned. “And why is this such a big misunderstanding mother? Why didn’t you tell me you’d be traveling, I would have found more stable living arrangements for my own dog.”



Jane sighed and bit her lip, “It was a surprise so we had Layla over at our neighbor’s who raises pit bulls and has a kennel. So she’d be with other dogs and be safe until we returned a few days later. And for some reason she got out and someone found her and took her to the shelter I’m assuming. We didn’t even know she had gone until we got back and saw the news about her.”



“But you made no attempt to contact me and let me know you knew about this?”



“We didn’t know until after you knew.” She lied.



Nick sighed, he didn’t want to fight with her, it seemed completely logical for this to happen, but at the same time he couldn’t deny that sinking feeling in his stomach that Jane had merely gotten sick of Layla and dumped her at a local pound. “Still you should have said something about going away. But whatever, just forget it, I have more important things to worry about.” He replied snidely.



“Nick don’t be like that, I’m sorry that this whole misunderstanding happened, can we please just move past it. If not for me for my grandson?”



Nick closed his eyes knowing deep down she was right, he hated to admit it but he didn’t want to keep his son from his grandmother even though he wasn’t even born yet. “Yeah sure Mom it’s fine, what’s done is done, just don’t do it again okay. You need to be honest with me.”



“I promise I will.”



He sighed as they rang off and he looked over seeing AJ and Kellie smiling at each other. “You two are disgustingly adorable you know that right?”



Kellie giggled and rested her head on AJ’s shoulder, “Hey someone’s gotta keep the cute quotient going, since you and Alyssa aren’t adorable anymore. By the way where is my best friend?” Kellie retorted.



Nick sighed and looked out the window seeing the Malibu coastline. “I miss it to be honest. Ever since we found out that she’s pregnant she’s like this completely different person. And she’s at home working on paperwork from the bedroom. She’s put on moderate bed rest but she’s still doing paperwork! It’s infuriating I had to get away for a little while.”



“Yeah but she’s still Ali, the woman you asked to marry you.” Kellie reasoned. She saw the pained expression on his face and nudged him with her foot. “Hey, does this have anything to do with a certain blonde chef?”



Nick looked over at her wide-eyed not knowing how to take how she saw through him so clearly. “Emma has nothing to do with this.”



Kellie’s eyes narrowed, “I don’t think you should be hanging out with her personally. She’s like Brandon was for Alyssa. She’s making you doubt your choices as far as Alyssa’s concerned isn’t she?”



“No, she’s reaffirming them.”



“Yeah keep telling yourself that Nick…Just don’t do something stupid that will hurt Alyssa.” Kellie warned.



Later that day…



“Nick where are you taking me?” Emma asked giving him an odd glance as he drove her throughout the city.



Nick chuckled a little, “I told you it’s a surprise, I saw it not to long ago and thought it’d be perfect for you.” He replied making her eye him suspiciously.



Emma saw him pull up in front of an abandoned building not far from the beach, within walking distance actually. He stopped the truck and motioned for her to get out. They walked up and he opened the door letting her inside. “Nick what is this place?” She asked as she walked around what looked like an old seafood restaurant.



“You like it?” He asked expectantly.



Emma chuckled and sighed, “It’s a dump…” She joked as they walked into the tight kitchen.



“Yeah but it’s your dump now.” He remarked standing right behind her as she surveyed everything. He’d wanted to do this for Emma and his sister for a long time, find them the perfect spot for their restaurant and make it their own.



“Huh?” Emma said swinging around knocking right into Nick’s chest. They stood like that for a moment almost pinned to each other in the cramped kitchen. Nick looked down at her noticing her blue eyes sparkle in the light of the room. He looked away and moved to the side getting his body away from hers. It was almost too close for comfort in his mind. “Sorry but what do you mean it’s mine?”



“Well this could be your restaurant. It’s perfect for what you’re looking to do. Great area, and I bought the building for you and my sister to renovate how you choose. It’s the least I could do to get you guys started.”



“Nick this is too much, seriously I can’t accept this.”



Nick chuckled and rested his elbows on a dusty counter. He watched her as she walked around the room opening drawers, then bent down to open a lower cupboard full of pots and pans. He watched her body his mind immediately imagining going over and ripping her clothes off. He turned away momentarily to catch his breath. He hated how his own imagination lately was completely betraying him. He didn’t like Emma that way, true she was attractive but no, no, no he loved Alyssa and his mind was just being mean because Alyssa was ignoring him. He moved over to the stove resting his hand on the edge of it.



Emma turned back around and smiled, “I can’t believe this, you’re a really great friend Nick.” She remarked putting her hand on top of his momentarily.



Nick glanced down at the innocent contact between their hands and then back up to her. “You’re welcome…it’s the least I could do.” He reiterated meeting her eyes then let his gaze drift to her mouth immediately cursing himself for doing so.



Emma sensed the confusion in his look and began to pull her hand away. She had no idea exactly what her touch and mere presence was doing to him. Normally she knew exactly how to attract a man, but she kept her distance from Nick, after all he’d never fall for her, not when his heart so wholly belonged to Alyssa.



Nick grabbed her hand as she pulled away and pulled her back to him looking at her for a long moment as their faces came within inches of each other’s. Lost in his eyes Emma stood there for a moment looking up at him not wanting to move away but did anyways. She knew right then he was attracted to her, and could almost ruin everything between him and Alyssa if she let it go too far. “Nick we shouldn’t…you shouldn’t…” She began not knowing how to word it quite right.



“I know, I’m sorry, just got caught up for a moment. I’m sorry I shouldn’t have…” He said getting a confused look on his face.



“Nick I think you should go home to Alyssa.”



“I know…”



Meanwhile…



Alyssa sighed as she finally finished off her paperwork and relaxed into the cushy sheets of hers and Nick’s bed. She couldn’t wait for him to arrive home. Now that she was completely finished with her work she could get back to focusing on them as a couple. And no doubt she had a lot of things to discuss with him. She was worried to say the least about their baby having a heart defect but she knew also that it wasn’t going to be fatal either that the odds were stacked in their favor with the advances in medicine over the past five years alone. However at the same time she was scared, scared for her child that all he’d know is hospitals growing up and she definitely didn’t want that for him.



She sighed as the phone rang, she hoisted herself up and grabbed it from the charger. “Hello?”



“Hi…Alyssa this is Jane…”



Alyssa rolled her eyes at the thought of Jane calling. “What do you want?”



“I just called to talk to you.”



“Well Jane I don’t think it was right for you to do what you did. You should have been honest with Nick.” Alyssa chided. “I mean what is this do you just not respect him at all?”



“I don’t think I like your tone Alyssa, I called to apologize to you, Nick and I already made our peace.”



“Well you have a lot more apologizing to do Jane, you come into my home and call me a whore, then all you do is hover and create petty drama for the other siblings and then Nick is so stressed trying to be a good brother to them and then you pull this shit with Layla. Don’t lie to me I know you did it.”



Jane huffed a little, “At least I know he’s not marrying you just for your sex drive. You’re quite the smart one Alyssa what tipped you off?”



“The fact that the tabloids got wind of it so quickly. The whole thing wreaked of you Jane. And quite frankly I don’t think you’re welcome in our home anymore if you’re going to be that careless and heartless to treat your eldest son that way.” She said hanging up, she didn’t want to deal with Jane anymore and completely ruin her plans.



Meanwhile Jane dialed Nick’s number angry that Alyssa had hung up on her. “Hello?” He asked as he answered his sidekick just after dropping Emma off back at her apartment.



Jane sniffled a little, “I tried to call Alyssa and apologize for the misunderstanding.”



Nick immediately got concerned with the tone of his mother’s voice. “What happened?”



Jane bit back a cry a little hoping this would get to him. “Nick, she was awful telling me how I’m not welcome in your home anymore and how she hates me and everything…” She said laying it on thick.



“I’ll talk to her okay. She’s probably just tired and stressed out.”



“Okay.” Jane said ringing off with him. She sighed and smirked. She’d gotten exactly the reaction she’d hoped for.



Later that evening…



Nick walked in greeting Layla with a pat on her head. Going up the stairs he heard soft music playing from their bedroom. Once he walked in he saw Alyssa propped up on the bed reading a book. “Hey!” She said with a smile seeing him walk in. She moved to get up and walked over to him giving him a kiss. “How was your day?” She asked.



He grinned, “Okay, spent some time with Kel and Alex. They’re disgusting how cute they’ve gotten.” He said. “I spent some time with Emma, going over things for her restaurant idea.”



“Emma eh? You’ve been hanging out a lot with her.” Alyssa stated nervously.



Nick nodded, “She’s a sweet girl, she’s going to be an amazing chef. You’d love her food.”



“I would…maybe…” Alyssa said getting dismayed a little and moved back to the bed sitting on it.



“What’s wrong?” He asked sensing there was something wrong. “I mean come on you’re mean to my mother and then I come home and you’re all jealous about Emma a girl you have nothing to worry about.” He said trying to convince himself of the same thing. His attraction to Emma was purely physical and he almost acted on it. The fact was glaringly clear that Alyssa and him were growing apart, and he hated it.



“You have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about Nick. Jane was rude to me! And I called her out for the whole thing with Layla.”



“She apologized for that Alyssa, come on.”



“Nick how can you keep forgiving her, she’s only hurting you more and more at every turn!?”



“I don’t want to discuss this, not everyone can have a perfect little family like yours Alyssa.”



“Fine maybe you’ll just discuss it with Emma then.” Alyssa said folding her arms. This was definitely not how she envisioned their evening at all. But just the thought of Emma anywhere near Nick made her stomach turn in knots. She was exactly the girl Nick always went for, blonde, and pretty. Completely opposite to her in her mind at least.



“Will you leave Em out of this? She’s done nothing wrong.”



“Em?!? You have a nickname for her?”



Nick rolled his eyes, “Alyssa you’re being ridiculous.”



Alyssa saw the look on his face and knew it, it was the same one he’d get whenever Amanda had been jealous about Alyssa. “Oh…my…God Amanda was right…”



Nick looked over at her with a perplexed expression. “What are you talking about?”



“You want her don’t you.” Alyssa said seeing the guilty expression cross his face. “Oh God…” she said crumbling into tears. “Here I am killing myself to get paperwork done so I can focus on taking care of our child and you’re off lusting after another woman!” She cried.



Nick stopped what he was doing and knelt in front of her. “Sugar…I love you okay…”



Alyssa looked at him her face streaked with tears and her eyes and nose red and puffy. “Not anymore…”



Nick felt himself tear up a little and brushed her hair out of her face. “No I really love you. We’ve grown so far apart lately. And I know I found myself going to Emma to talk about things I used to talk to you about and I’m sorry. We have problems baby, but I won’t give up on us I promise.”



“I just can’t take much more, what with the baby having a heart defect and now Emma… I can’t lose you…” She proclaimed.



Nick felt a pang deep in his heart, a heart defect…how could he not see it before that was why Alyssa was afraid of letting him in. She’d been hiding her own pain about their child. “A heart defect?” He said his voice breaking as he spoke. “Is he okay?”



Alyssa nodded, “For now, they can’t tell exactly what until after he’s born but his heartbeat isn’t as strong as it should be. That’s how they figured it out, they’ve been running tests and can tell it’s something to do with his blood flow from his heart. They said they’d know more once he’s born and that it’s nothing to really worry about because it’s completely fixable.”



“Yeah but it’s our son. It’s our right to be worried.”



“I know and it’s just been so hard, not knowing what it is. They said that it’s normal to have a heart defect these days about 1 in 100 kids are born with them and are rarely ever life threatening. It’s just so hard not knowing which one since there’s not a whole lot they can do until he’s here.”



Nick sighed and laid them both down on the bed rubbing his hand over her tummy. “I promise I’ll be there with you every step of the way. We can do this, we’re going to have a healthy little boy I promise you.” He said pulling her to him letting her cry against him. His heart felt so heavy just at the thought of his first child being in any sort of pain. It scared him for what the future could hold. He held onto Alyssa tighter whispering. “We’ll get through it and he’ll be okay.” He said feeling confident that things between them would get better and better as time passed and the end of her pregnancy neared, so they could welcome their son into the world.















As always read and review! Authors love feedback and happy authors mean more fiction!!



Chapter End Notes:
Tri and Jamanda you two rock! Thanks for all the help this chapter!