- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay I know FINALLY right? Well I've been sick, working, and going to school hence no writing, hopefully I will be writing on Sexcapades tonight if I can get ahold of Mel, though...her internet's been out for a little while so probably not. Anyways I caved and got a domain www.drifting-in-between-dreams.com hope ya'll like it, Mel, Honey and Presley are going to be hosted there, and *nudges Moppy* anyone else that would like to be hosted give me a holler and I'll take a look at you're stuff and if it's good it just may get hosted. As always R&R!!

Chapter Three: Happy Birthday Mr. President

 

 

 

Nick stirred slowly in his sleep, rolling over to pull Alyssa closer to him but instead came in contact with an empty bed. He opened his eyes seeing the rumpled bed sheets and a note on the pillow.

 

 

 

Had an early morning meeting, be home later, by the way happy birthday.

 

 

Love

 

 

Lissa

 

 

 

He grinned and relaxed against the sheets thinking about what she had planned for his birthday. Usually it was just something simple. But last year, they were barely speaking to each other which meant she probably was going to do something to make up for it. Whatever it was he was totally game for it.

 

 

 

Meanwhile...

 

 

 

Alyssa sighed a little hoping the slight nausea she’d had all day would go away as she waited for her students to file out of the classroom.

 

 

 

“Great class today Ms. Monroe.” Lindsay one of Alyssa’s students remarked stopping by the desk.

 

 

 

Alyssa smiled at her student and brushed her hair out of her face with her hand, “Why thank you Lindsay. How’s that paper coming?”

 

 

 

Lindsay nodded seeing the engagement ring on Alyssa’s hand and grinned, “Pretty good overall. So is it true, you’re engaged?”

 

 

 

Alyssa gave her an odd look, “Oh no not you too.” She said with a sarcastic grin.

 

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

“It’s hard sometimes to know whose taking my class for the educational value and whose taking it to get info on my fiancé.” She explained.

 

 

 

“Oh god, no I love this class I’m a lit major so I need this class, and yeah I can totally understand. I must admit I am a fan but I didn’t realize that you were well you until first day of class there’s another professor who teaches this class right, I thought I was taking it with…”

 

 

 

“Dr. Deitrich, she was my mentor, but yeah we had to switch sections this semester because this is a hybrid class. Half internet, half lecture, it frees up my schedule a little bit and I can work from home.”

 

 

 

“Working from home must be nice.”

 

 

 

Alyssa chuckled knowing that she was fishing for information, “It is, and quiet too, Nick’s usually recording most of the day so if I’m working at home it’s so quiet I can get a lot of work done.”

 

 

 

“I’m glad you’re a normal girl, he needs that.”

 

 

 

“I know right, I was friends with him through practically every girlfriend and pretty much there were like three normal girls besides myself everyone else was a model, singer, athlete or god forbid an heiress.”

 

 

 

Lindsay chuckled, “I take it you don’t like the last one before you right?”

 

 

 

“Paris? Couldn’t stand her, I know you’re probably going to tell the message boards this and frankly I don’t care but that girl really hurt him, more than he’ll ever say. It’s a really sore subject.”

 

 

 

“I’m sorry he went through that.”

 

 

 

“Yeah me too, he’s such a good man and he’s been through so much that he doesn’t realize how good he is. So he tries to sabotage himself and so do I so really we’re quite a pair.”

 

 

 

“So when’s the wedding?”

 

 

 

“Honestly we haven’t even started planning yet, we’re just enjoying being engaged. Besides we have two Backstreet weddings with Howie getting married and all.”

 

 

 

“Yeah I read about that, that’s so cool.”

 

 

 

“Oh yeah it was about time too they’ve been dating for 6 years. She’s great such a sweetie and perfect for him, makes him so happy.”

 

 

 

“So are you friends with the guys?”

 

 

 

“Like the boys? Hell yeah they’re so sweet, Brian’s a hoot, Kevin is well Kevin, AJ is such a softy it’s not even funny. He’s dating my best friend right now and he’s always doting on her.”

 

 

 

“Was that the one that was dating Aaron?”

 

 

 

“Damn how do you guys know all of this stuff?”

 

 

 

“We’re like the CIA, well the LD Fans are like the CIA.” She said completely straight-faced.

 

 

 

Alyssa smirked, “I know I’m a member on most of the message boards like LD, DLS, and a couple of others. I sometimes join in the discussion, but I steer clear of a certain member on LD.”

 

 

 

“I know exactly who you’re talking about.”

 

 

 

“Yep. Nick can’t stand her, anytime I go on LD he’s usually with me and he rolls his eyes at anything she posts.”

 

 

 

“I bet, she’s pretty annoying most of us are annoyed by her.”

 

 

 

Alyssa laughed at the comment, “But yeah other than that I’ve made a ton of friends through the message boards, no one knows who I really am but still it’s nice to hear what the fans have to say about the new music, the boys in general and even about myself. I know some don’t like me but that’s ok that’s their malfunction.”

 

 

 

“Yeah a lot of them believe that something happened with that actor last year.”

 

 

 

“Let’s just say I put my trust in someone that I shouldn’t have. It nearly cost me everything I have with Nick.”

 

 

 

“Really?”

 

 

 

“Yeah thank God we’re stronger than that.”

 

 

 

“You must really love him huh?”

 

 

 

“With all my heart, he’s the only person I can see myself with. He’s flawed yeah but he’s human, but he means well.”

 

 

 

Lindsay glanced at her watch and smiled, “Thanks for the talk, I’ll see you around campus.”

 

 

 

“No problem. I’ll see you in class next week and good luck on your research.”

 

 

 

Later on…

 

 

 

“Happy birthday loser.” AJ said with a shit-eating grin on his face.

 

 

 

Nick smiled and took a breath, “I cannot believe I’m 27.”

 

 

 

“And engaged.” Brian added with a Cheshire smile.

 

 

 

Nick rolled his eyes, “What’s the grin for?”

 

 

 

“Nothing you’re just growing up and it’s pretty fucking cool.” AJ remarked.

 

 

 

He laughed at them lightly, “You two are weird as hell. Anyways where’s Howie?”

 

 

 

“Stuck in traffic.” AJ said in a sing-song voice making Nick crack up.

 

 

 

“We’re so never living that one down are we?”

 

 

 

“Hey I got Baylee singing it the other day. Leigh was on the floor laughing.”

 

 

 

Nick grinned at the mention of Baylee, in a way he was really grateful for the little kid, it’d actually brought Brian and him back as friends. Acting like little kids was no longer taboo because of the little guy.

 

 

 

“What are you grinning at?”

 

 

 

“Nothing, just how’s my nephew?”

 

 

 

“Good, growing like a weed eating like crazy and whatever you do, don’t mention macaroni and cheese around him.”

 

 

 

“Like father, like son.” AJ added with a smirk.

 

 

 

“How’s everything with Kel?”

 

 

 

“Pretty good, did you know she has OCD?”

 

 

 

“Yeah she’s borderline though.” Nick remarked back.

 

 

 

AJ scoffed, “She organized my house, it’s insane but I actually kind of like it, I know where everything is now.”

 

 

 

“See it’s not always so bad at least she’s not like Howard Hughes type of OCD where she’s washing her hands until they bleed.”

 

 

 

“True, that would not be good at all.”

 

 

 

“So…when are we getting another backstreet baby?” Brian asked shooting Nick a sideways glance.

 

 

 

“As soon as Kevin knocks Kristin up.”

 

 

 

“Ha..ha…very funny Carter, I was referring to you and Ali, you know Baylee could use a cousin.”

 

 

 

Nick rolled his eyes, “Let’s just say we’re not officially trying, but if it happens, it happens end of story. And why haven’t you and Leigh tried for another one?”

 

 

 

“Who says we’re not? She just wants to wait until Bay is a little older.”

 

 

 


“Besides not everyone can pop out kids like you’re family.” AJ commented.

 

 

 

Nick laughed at the comment, “Yeah I don’t think either of my parents ever quite understood the value of birth control.”

 

 

 

“Yeah but at least you’ve got siblings, I have a stepsister and half siblings from my dad’s family that I never see.” AJ explained.

 

 

 

“You want my siblings, take them please, they’re driving me nuts. Between walking in on Aaron having sex, and Angel modeling half naked, and B’s drinking, Les’s attitude I could do without em for a little while.”

 

 

 

“Walking in on Aaron?” Brian asked trying to bite back his laughter.

 

 

 

“Sorry man but you deserve it after we had to walk in on you and Ali so many times, or even heard you two go at it in the hotels.”

 

 

 

“She’s just letting everyone know who she belongs to.” Nick shot back making AJ snort.

 

 

 

“More like proclaiming it to the known universe.”

 

 

 

Later that afternoon…

 

 

 

Alyssa smiled as placed the present in the box, she knew he’d love it definitely something he’d enjoy as well as the various other presents she got him. She loved being able to spoil him as much as he spoiled her. It made her feel good that she could contribute to the relationship monetarily as well. It gave her a sense of responsibility and she was glad that he understood that for the most part.

 

 

 

As she finished wrapping his presents she heard the front door open. She scurried about hiding all but one of the presents from him. She settled on the bed catching her breath, still feeling a bit out of it from earlier in the day.

 

 

 

“Baby? Where are ya?” He called out into the eerily quiet house.

 

 

 

“In the bedroom.” She replied smacking her forehead for making it sound like she wanted something more than to just give him one of the presents.

 

 

 

He smirked dropping his keys and wallet on the table in the foyer. Kicking off his flip-flops he went upstairs losing the smirk he had when he saw her fully clothed sitting on the bed. “Damn that wasn’t nice.”

 

 

 

“What?” She said with a smile.

 

 

 

“You know what…”

 

 

 

She laughed, “Just because I’m in the bedroom doesn’t mean I wanna screw around.”

 

 

 

He rolled his eyes and sat next to her on the bed seeing the little box she was holding with a bow around it. “And that would be?”

 

 

 

“A birthday present. One of many.”

 

 

 

“Many? You didn’t have to you know that right?”

 

 

 

“I know but I like getting you things, like you like to do for me.” She said offering the box to him.

 

 

 

He grinned opening it seeing a receipt. “Umm, I don’t think receipt’s qualify as presents.”

 

 

 

“No look at what’s on it.”

 

 

 

Nick looked at it reading his eyes getting wider as he read. “How?”

 

 

 

“I asked Juliette to help.”

 

 

 

“Floor seats to the Lakers?! These are impossible to get!”

 

 

 

“Yeah and you’ve been dying to have them since you moved out to LA. I figured an entire season would make up for all the times you tried to get em and couldn’t.”

 

 

 

“How did you get these?”

 

 

 

“Juliette I called her two months ago and said that you’d been dying to have floor seats and that I wanted an entire season for you and that I’d be ever so grateful, meaning I’d make you do something nice for her if she got em.”

 

 

 

“She’s getting a huge bonus for this.”

 

 

 

“She and I worked our butts off trying to get those. And…it’s two so you can take me, or Aaron or one of the guys.”

 

 

 


“I’ll take you, you’re more fun at a game.”

 

 

 

“You better especially when Phoenix is in town I’ll die to see Nash and the boys up close.”

 

 

 

“And yell at D’Antoni for not getting them to the finals right?”

 

 

 

“Duh!”

 

 

 

He pulled her to him and gave her a kiss, “You’re amazing.”

 

 

 

“Wait there’s more.” She said deciding on giving him the two other presents she’d gotten him. She went to her closet pulling out the other two presents one small and the other rather large and heavy. She handed him the small box first he smiled opening it seeing a platinum band with celtic knot designs all around it. “There’s an inscription too.” She remarked.

 

 

 

He tilted the ring looking inside reading the script, “To the one who holds my heart ~ Ali. I love this.”

 

 

 

“I hoped you would.” She said taking the ring and his right hand slipping it on his ring finger, “The knot design is a tie in to my tattoo and it’s essentially my promise to you that I’ll be by your side no matter what.”

 

 

 

He looked at his hand, “I almost want to put in on the left hand.”

 

 

 

“Nope it goes on the right, unless you want that as your wedding band but I was hoping we could go pick those out sometime together.”

 

 

 

“Of course we can, when did you want to go?”

 

 

 

“As soon as we set a date.”

 

 

 

He chuckled, “Yeah we need to do that don’t we?”

 

 

 

“Yeah but we’ll talk about that later open you’re last present.”

 

 

 

He took the large square box standing up and placing it on the bed to open it. Tearing through the silver paper and cutting through the tape that held the box together he opened it chuckling as he looked inside. “A bowling ball?” He asked taking the green ball out seeing it was engraved with a copy of his signature.

 

 

 

“Yep thought you might need that for tonight.”

 

 

 

“And that would be for what? Unless it’s for some weird sex game I don’t know about…”

 

 

 

Alyssa cracked up, “No pervert, it’s because we’re going to Lucky Strike tonight.” She said, as she stood up but sat right back down feeling light headed.

 

 

 

“Whoa are you okay?” He asked completely concerned.

 

 

 

She looked up, “Yeah just haven’t been feeling well today.”

 

 

 

“Don’t tell me you’re getting sick.” He said feeling her forehead with the back of his hand. “No you don’t have a fever.”

 

 

 

She smiled, “Nah I’ll be ok, probably just tired from working.”

 

 

 

“Are you sure you’re up for bowling?”

 

 

 

She looked at him and nodded, “Yeah I’ll be fine.”

 

 

 

“Okay…”

 

 

 

That night…

 

 

 

“So how’s it feel to be 27?” Chris asked with a smirk.

 

 

 

“Not too bad…” Nick replied seeing Alyssa come out of the bathroom looking a little pale. He went over to her, “Hey you ok?”

 

 

 

“I’ll be fine.” She said waving him off.

 

 

 

Feeling more than a little concerned he went over to Lori. “Lori can you do me a favor?”

 

 

 

“What’s up?”

 

 

 

He sighed looking over at Alyssa who was nursing a cup of 7-up. “Find out why she’s not feeling well she won’t say anything to me and just keep an eye on her and let me know if I should take her home early.”

 

 

 

Lori grinned at the concern and worry written all over his face. “No problem…you just have fun.” She said patting him on the shoulder then making her way over to Alyssa. “Why are you not feeling well?” She asked bluntly.

 

 

 

“It’s nothing just a little stomach bug.”

 

 

 

“For how long?”

 

 

 

“A week now, I’m totally fine, no fever or anything.”

 

 

 

“Do you think you could be…you know…”

 

 

 

“What? Pregnant, hell no, it’s just nausea right now I know the symptoms believe me if it were I’d know.”

 

 

 


“Ok but that’s how it always starts, as nausea then the other symptoms start showing up. That’s how it was when I was pregnant with Jamie.”

 

 

 

Alyssa nodded, “I know and I’ll keep a lookout for it, but I honestly doubt that’s what this is.”

 

 

 

“Yeah I said the same thing.” Lori replied getting up.

 

 

 

Alyssa rolled her eyes and smiled a little.

 

 

 

Nick looked over and grinned at her making her smile brighter. He sighed a little out of relief, the worst thing would be for her not to have fun too. He motioned her over to him she got up wrapping her arms around his waist and smiled up at him. “Thanks for this, it’s been a good birthday.”

 

 

 

“Welcome, just wish I felt a little better.”