- Text Size +
“Allison is not home.” John stated. “Why are you in her home if she did not invite you inside?” He questioned giving A.J. a suspicious look. “We do not tolerate thieves in this town.” He simply stated.

“I wasn’t here to steal anything.” A.J. said in his defense. “The door opened when I knocked.” He couldn’t say when he kicked it that would imply he was using force to get inside. “I came in to make sure Allison was alright and not injured in any way.” He thought his excuse was good, besides isn’t that why many people went inside houses if the door opened easily in movies? To make sure the inhabitant was alright?

John continued to look at A.J. with suspicious eyes for a minute then they instantly softened to the friendly face he remembered on the first day they met. “Why don’t I take you to the fields that your friends are helping out in and you can help them too.” He held his arm out in the direction of the front door and waiting for A.J. to walk in front of him.

Warily, A.J. stepped in front of John. They walked side by side for a bit, A.J. hoping that now was not the time for Shelby’s threat to come to pass. He sighed in relief, hoping John did not hear him, when he saw a field ahead of him and his four friends and three others working in a field straight ahead.

“Well there you are.” John said. “But before you go I wanted to talk with you about something. You have to understand about Shelby, what she said.” He laughed here. “I don’t know what she meant by me taking care of you, I think her daughter was just upset about what happened and you know, mother trying to protect her daughter.” He shrugged as if he was embarrassed and then turned away. “Well I’m sure the Timber’s will offer you all lunch for helping, so I won’t be seeing you again until the dinner tonight.” With that he walked away from A.J.

He stood for a minute thinking about what John had said, it made sense, but there were too many other things he had overheard from John’s own mouth that would lead him to believe that Shelby’s threat was not idle. If it was just a mother protecting a daughter, why wouldn’t she have threatened him with Walter? Why John? He needed to talk to Allison to make the pieces fall together, but he probably would not see her again until that night.

He turned and walked towards the field, waving the other guys over to him. When they all gathered around, Nick was the first to speak.

“Where have you been? It’s not fair that we’ve been working since breakfast and you are just now arriving.” It came out like a whine, something Nick had been working on not doing since he was the youngest but A.J. did not blame him, he would probably sound the same if the positions were reversed.

“That’s what I need to talk to you about.” A.J. started. “I went to check on the progress of the bus, nobody is there working on it at all and it seems worse then before. In fact, I overheard John and the mechanic talking about destroying more engine parts.” He held up his hand when he saw Kevin open his mouth to protest. “I was on the bus this morning too. I saw John get on, he was looking for something then he cursed Allison and got back off the bus. I then went to Allison’s, she wasn’t there, but John showed up shortly after me. Shelby’s daughter made a move on me this morning and when I rejected her...” He ignored Nick’s snicker about A.J. actually rejecting a girl’s advances and continued. “…when I rejected her she stormed off and then Shelby threatened me saying John was going to ‘take care of me’. Strange things are going on in this town. I don’t think we are here by accident.”

Howie and Kevin shook their heads and looked at each other. “A.J. have you been getting enough sleep?” Howie asked. “It sounds to me that your imagination is running away with you. There is nothing strange going on.”

“What about the dinner’s? Have you all been basically paired with a girl from this town at those tables?” A.J. asked.

“So they all want their daughters to have a chance with a good-looking, rich, city guy.” Brian said smiling broadly.

“I don’t think any of these girls are out to leave this town. I don’t think our money or where we were from have anything to do with anything.” A.J. looked at Nick; he hoped to at least convince the youngest.

Nick shook his head. “I don’t know I have overheard some strange conversations. The other night I heard women plotting ‘a way out’ but I didn’t get to hear much else.”

Before A.J. could say another word, a lady approached them. “If you boys don’t stop chatting and get some work done, they’ll be no lunch for you.”

Frustrated with the timing of the people of this town, he grabbed the rake from the woman and marched off into the fields hoping to work off some of his steam.

*****

“I know you said we need them John. I know they are important for survival, but that man with the tattoos and colored hair, he’s causing nothing but trouble. He didn’t even seem interested in my Lisa, always wanting to be around Widow Thompson. I’m telling you, he’s going to be a problem.”

“Shelby, I will handle him. He will be around much longer then Allison anyway and when he realizes that he’s not going anywhere he will settle down to life here like the others are already doing. Then we’ll find him a nice wife and he’ll stay. Trust me dear, have I ever led you stray before?”